Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Gamescom in Germany:
Rumors about Aquanox Deep Descent surfacing!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Gah, I haven't had the time or energy to play video games in a while, aside from the occasional DotA match...
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, for a long time I was really happy because I thought Fallout 4 was going to be set in and around the Boston area, which would've been awesome, since there's nothing greater than seeing the area you live in as a bombed out ruin in a video game.

But, imagine my disappointment when I discovered that that was just a filthy internet rumor, which is doubled by the fact that this now means there is literally NO information on or about Fallout 4 at this point. Ho hum.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

wat.
F4 being set in and around the MIT is pretty much confirmed i thought? O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Alas, it is not to be.
[url=http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Fallout_4#Setting wrote:fallout wiki[/url]]Not much is known about the setting of Fallout 4 so far. ... According to unconfirmed rumors, the setting might include the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Institute. This was later reported to be a hoax.
Such sadness.
Half asleep upon my knee
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Someone set up a fairly convincing hoax teaser for Fallout 4 that included radio messages or something, detailing the status of different cities. Most of those cities met pretty grim fates. I believe that hoax was the one that pointed towards Boston as the setting for the next game, but I'm not sure.

Personally, I'm still pulling for Fallout: Spokane.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Fallout: Cedar Rapids...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

You are still wrong.

http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reve ... 1481322956

Just because a hoax existed indicating boston does not mean it will not be set in boston.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Oh, well then. If this is the case, then I'm very glad that I'm wrong.
Half asleep upon my knee
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Is DoW2 any good? Assume for a moment that I find Space Marines fucking boring and thus would skip both the first campaign and the first expansion, playing the second expansion with Eldar, Imp.Guard and Tyranids. And maybe dick around a bit in Last Stand.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

DoW2 is a very different game. There's no base building; it's completely focused on the tactical combat aspect of the game. You still get resources from points on the map and use them to purchase units/upgrades, but it's basically a fast-paced frontline murderfest.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

DOW2 has the exact same problem as Soulstorm had.
Always the same fucking map from always the same fucking spawn point, always the same fucking enemy on the same fucking map, even if a different enemy had made more sense for the race you are playing . .
Otherwise it's a fine game, really. Not much for the multiplayer, but then, that's just me.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Akiosama
NPC

Post by Akiosama »

It's pretty much Company of Heroes, 40K style. Once you get used to that, and that it's not really much like DOW1, then it's a pretty decent game.

Think squads, not individual units. Think vehicle facings, heavy weapon arcs, character and squad equipment, and cover tactics.

I initially didn't like it because I was going in thinking Dawn of War. Now, I think it's a good game because I think Company of Heroes.

My 2 yen,

Akiosama
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Stahlseele wrote:DOW2 has the exact same problem as Soulstorm had.
I didn't think the voice acting in DOW2 was that bad...
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Well, that was at least good for some meme stuff . .
And of course, on the kind of NSFW page 1d4chan, there's a summarry of DOW2 for reading fun:
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dawn_of_War_II
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I haven't actually played Company of Heroes. From what I understand, it's in the LoL/DotA camp, and thus is multiplayer only. That said, I don't mind a small squad thing, particularly if you can tell individual doods where to stand and what to shoot and so on.

So is "the actual game where you don't have to play as Spaz Morans" exactly the same (other than the intro and ending I guess) for every faction? I don't mind DoW1's world map idea where you capture territories as you go. It's generic but flexible.

As you progress, do you still get to select various upgrades to place on your hero? Or is there no advancement in that respect, or a set schedule of advancement, or something else? Do you select your team at the start of a mission, or do they just say "Here, you will have this, that and those"?

And ultimately, was it really designed just for multiplayer, with the story mode chucked in as an afterthought?

---

On a sidenote, Din's Curse is a fun game. It's cheap on Steam, and plays like a cross between Diablo and a Roguelike, with procedurally generated maps and quests, and with monsters sometimes invading the surface or building earthquake machines or whatever. It has a handful of classes, each with three ability pages (~=trees, but without the "must have these other abilities first" bit), but you can also play a hybrid, selecting any two ability pages from amongst the classes, so if you wanted to be a Conjurer only for the Necromancy thing and fuck the other paths, you could be a hybrid and choose one of the Fighter or Rogue sets for the other one, thus gaining other proficiencies and abilities.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

All your doods get XP/Levels/Abilities and new wargear over the course of the game.
Also, you get new doods over the course of the game too, you don't start with all of them.
DOW2 base game has you commanding your heroes with their retinue, so 3 squads and the force commander. There you can't tell every dude where to stand. Same for chaos rising, if i remember correctly. And in Retribution you only get the heroes, no retinue but you can chose to not use the heroes and instead use squads of other units in their place. All of which you can unlock.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

From what I remember DoW2 was mostly about spamming the special abilities as soon as the cooldown was over.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i was more a fan of getting all passive bonuses i could get onto as many of my dudes as possible and simply watch and sometimes revive when something on my side falls over . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Akiosama
NPC

Post by Akiosama »

Koumei wrote:I haven't actually played Company of Heroes. From what I understand, it's in the LoL/DotA camp, and thus is multiplayer only. That said, I don't mind a small squad thing, particularly if you can tell individual doods where to stand and what to shoot and so on.
I haven't played LoL/DotA, so I don't know if it's like them, but it's not only multiplayer - CoH has a decent solo campaign mode. The game plays as strategic point capture, to generate resources, and unit/building production. You move units in squads, not individual units, and while you can't position individual people, you can dictate the unit's positioning to a degree, making sure that they're facing the right direction and within cover.

What really helps for making DoW2 feel like 40K is that they use that same "facing control" to allow you to change which direction the vehicle is pointing, which dictates weapon arcs, armor facings and the likes.

One of the differences, however, between DoW2 and CoH (at least in Solo - I haven't tried its multiplayer yet), is that you are limited in squads based on the heroes you have. You start with YOU (the Force Commander) and one Tactical Sergeant, and that means you can use your hero and one Tac squad. As the campaign progresses, you get more heroes, but can only use a limited number of them in each mission.

CoH doesn't use that sort of execution, using a Unit Cap resource, much like other RTS games. You get more resources based on what types of strategic points you capture and hold, and as long as you have a continuous line of captured territories between the point and your HQ, you collect resources from the point, much like from workers in other RTS games, except that it's timed, not worker-based.

I think while it's not 40K, CoH wouldn't be a bad game to check out. I like its use of terrain, vehicle and heavy weapon facings, its use of static defenses (using existing buildings, laying razorwire, bunkers, minefields, etc.), and commander abilities. It's my favorite RTS, at the moment.

(From what I hear, btw, CoH might be better than CoH2. I've been told that the PC knowledge that the AI exhibits seems to be sketchy, in the sense that it tends to act like it knows more than it should, in CoH2. I have only really played CoH and its expansions, and it plays pretty fairly, from what I've seen in that respect.)

My 2 yen,

Akiosama
Last edited by Akiosama on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

DOW 2 Retribution has ressources and pop cap again and you can swap out hero units (single hero, no retinue usually) for line units of your faction and request reinforcements as long as you have ressources and are below pop cap in missions.
DOW2 and Chaos Rising have only Hero Units with retinue, so your devastator sergeant comes with 2 more devastator marines, the tactical one comes with 3 tactical marines and the jumppack guy comes with 2 jumppack marines. The Force Commander is a loner. You can only equip the leaders of the packs, not the retinue, but some perks / skills on the leader allows the retinue to use better/different weapons sometimes. and the units than can take it completely change using terminator armor.

And seeing how DOW1 used the old CoH Engine and DOW2 used a new CoH Engine as far as i remember, yes, they are functionally very similar to each other.

Don't get me wrong, i am complaining on a pretty high level about DOW2 Retribution when i say that it's too repetitive. It's a pretty good sized campaign, but it's the same damn campaign for all races, just with different cut scenes . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

All the factions in retribution have rather different unit mixes and heroes. They play quite differently. However, the campaign itself is almost identical, with the same missions in nearly the same order for all the races, which occasionally gets a bit silly with the Tyranids sending the Hive Lord (who is a big enough deal to get a unique designation while being a Tyranid) to attack two separate iceworld strongpoints guarding the snow for no clearly defined reason.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.