Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Dean wrote:Werewolves are always men to my knowledge...
At the very least, there was that punk-rock werewolf chick from Season 4 (5?) of Buffy.

After some quick Googling, there is apparently one on Being Human. And some 1944 movie had a lady werewolf, among other shows and movies. I do agree that the majority of werewolves in modern fiction are male, though.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Yeah I'm certain in the history of film and media there's been some girl werewolves. I can see it would have been clearer if I'd said "within my knowledge" rather than "to my knowledge". Meaning that literally every werewolf I can think of from any fiction I've ever personally seen is male. If I were to list every werewolf I can think of off the top of my head it would be

Oz from Buffy
Jacob from Twilight
The Wolf monster from Teenage Mutant Ninja's 2: Secret of the Ooze
The Underworld werewolves: Specifically the leader and the black guy
The werewolves from Dog Soldiers
and the Van Helsing werewolf

And all of them are male, I have no female ones in my memory from any media I've ever seen.
Last edited by Dean on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

There's also a female werewolf in Dog Soldiers.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

The Dresden Files has numerous female werewolves, although none so far are Loup-Garou, which is the variety that does the involuntary transformation.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
LeadPal
Apprentice

Post by LeadPal »

There's Ginger Snaps, but that movie is Canadian, so no one's ever actually seen it.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Sergeant Angua from Discworld is a female werewolf.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

But neither of those really undermines the metaphor.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Well if someone looking like this approaches me, I'm not going to ask if they are male or female, I'm just going to run.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
K
King

Post by K »

Being Human ended last year and had loads of female werewolves. Bitten is on SyFy and has one as the lead character.

The old Howling movies from the 80s had loads of female werewolves.

Honestly, if you try to trace the links between ancient myths and current characters in fiction, you lose the thread super fast. This is why vampires are killed by stakes in modern fiction and not just physically nailed down in a coffin like in the old European myths.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

...You Lost Me wrote:There's also a female werewolf in Dog Soldiers.
Fuck you for reminding me that exists.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

K wrote: Honestly, if you try to trace the links between ancient myths and current characters in fiction, you lose the thread super fast. This is why vampires are killed by stakes in modern fiction and not just physically nailed down in a coffin like in the old European myths.
Heck, you lose the thread pretty fast if you trace it between one ancient myth and another. Mythical universalists are basically full of shit. As I mentioned on the Mummy OSSR, the idea of Werewolves as a metaphor for male homosexuality was only a thing in parts of Europe for parts of the middle ages. The basic Werewolf themes were used for other sorts of temporary pariahs at other times and places in Europe.

So you get stuff like the "Dogs of God" who adopt the Werewolf mythos to do community police work (drafting people into the ranks of the werewolves to go off and fight cattle raiders and stuff), you have the "Wolf Skins" who adopt the Werewolf mythos to justify going Viking and running off raiding, and you have the "Year of the Wolf" where Spartan teenagers are forced to scavenge and steal in order to toughen them up. And of course, lots of other things.

The things that make people temporarily pariah are extremely different in different cultures. Since pretty much by definition it involves breaking some sort of taboo, and taboos are culturally defined. Even the same cultures change what is and is not taboo over time - technically the Muslim head scarf demand is the same as the Christian one - that used to literally be the same clothes taboo in both systems. They really do mutate that much in different directions as generations pass.

-Username17
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

If you squint hard enough, "werewolf" is specifically masculine, and the feminine version would be something like 'wifwolf'.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

This all makes one of Anton LaVey's essays from the tail end of his life (and struggle for relevance) a lot more "interesting." Of course, LaVey spraying his fetishes and subconscious sexual desires all over the place like a gastropod mating is nothing new...
How to Become a Werewolf [/b]
The Fundamentals of Lycanthropic Metamorphosis;

There Principles and Application
Anyone is a potential werewolf. Under emotional stress civilized human qualities regress to basic animal reaction, and a threshold of potential physical change is reached.

Temperament
People who normally behave in a coarse and boorish manner would be thought to be bordering on an animal state, hence making a complete transition relatively effortless. This is a fallacy, for churls consider themselves as humans the highest and most noble form of life. They are almost animals all of the time, so they dare not "go over the brink," for that would be abhorrent.

One who has only risen to the curbstone dares not return to the gutter. Only the higher man can metamorphose, as his ego will allow him to go all the way. He knows he is circumspect and cultured the greater part of his life. So a transition to animalism can be entertained without compunction. Manifestations of this phenomenon are abundant. The most polished individuals become the most degraded when the proper opportunity presents itself. There is no drunk quite so sloppy as a rich drunk. Analogies of such polarities are endless: drunk as a lord, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Count Dracula, Jack London, etc.

In virtually every literary, stage or motion picture treatment, the lycanthrope is in his normal state depicted as a human of warmth, understanding, sensitivity and intelligence.

The three principal emotions of sex, sentiment and wonder may be considered as triggering mechanisms, as will be shown by the following formula by which one can effect the change from man into beast.

Environment
Everyone has at some time or other wandered into an area of such foreboding that it is felt that someone or something is lurking in the shadows, watching, ready to spring and devour. Perhaps it was a deserted house, perhaps a lonely path through the trees, possibly an abandoned quarry. In many cases it is known or discovered that such areas have witnessed death of an unexpected or unusual nature, or perhaps mayhem, rape, or other violence. All actions involving intense or increased production of adrenaline on the part of either victim or perpetrator (lust, terror, aggression, defense, etc.) is followed by detumescence in the form of varying degrees of receptivity (shock, total submission, unconsciousness, death, etc.)

The polarity that such an atmosphere has undergone can be likened to an area where heavy concentration of electricity have accumulated and discharged repeatedly, thereby recycling the ionization of the atmosphere in a chaotic and disturbing manner. The initial 'charge' and attraction of such an area proceeds from its spatial and geometric pattern. This can be likened to an existing feeding trough to which animals come from miles around and dine on the carcasses of their predecessors.

The sado-masochistic dichotomy, with its needs for expression, keeps such an area well-stocked with both hunters and hunted. The hunted are drawn to such a spot because of the frightening yet submissive thrill obtained from the environment.

Predators then come forth, drawn by the ideal hunting conditions and abundance of game. Often, however, the hunters have not originally entered the preserve as hunters, but as fear-inspired searchers after thrills.

If this appears far-fetched, consider a phenomenon common to children on Halloween or on any other night where the setting is right. The child deliberately goes out expecting to be scared, succeeds in being scared, then considers how much fun it might be to scare others, once he has been purged of his fear-needs. He then becomes the hunter and the next child who comes along is his quarry. The entire phenomenon is akin to a recognized psychological manifestation of those who outwardly fear a situation while at the same time doing all in their power to encourage its occurrence.

Preparation
This children's Halloween game gives us the clue to the role change necessary in lycanthropic metamorphosis. Briefly, it is thus: Enter the area you know to be trauma -producing with the fullest intention of being frightened. Allow yourself to be frightened. If necessary wear articles of clothing conducive to the most submissive or vulnerable image. "Accidental" victims are always thus attired. Get the feel of the place as a victim, allowing yourself to be frightened as much as you can. If you can supplement your fear with a sexually stimulating feeling, so much the better. Allow yourself to virtually shake apart with fear
and if possible attain an orgasm by whatever means may be necessary, for this will make your subsequent lycanthropic changeover easier.

After you have released all fear and fled the scene of your terror/ecstasy, go home and ruminate over what you felt. You will soon discover that a sort of magnetic pull will manifest itself, beckoning you back to the blighted spot. This uneasy attraction will increase with each succeeding day, ideally bordering on compulsion. When you find yourself unable to resist the temptation to return to your danger spot, repeat the first incident in much the same manner. You will find the second
foray into the area even more profound than the first, due to the anxiety and anticipation that has developed over the past days.

In the truest sense, you have been performing a ritual of sending forth your energy into a living , breathing environment. That environment, because, of continual taxation upon its vitality, acts as a vampire, absorbing energy from those it attracts and, once having attracted, contagiously ensnares for future sustenance. Wilhelm Reich called such areas DOR, indicating a persistent starvation of orgone or enervation of the atmosphere. Such areas are atmospherically hungry and in their barrenness cry out to be fed. All alleged haunted house and terror spots are reinforced by the accumulation of energy supplied them by the anxieties of occupants and anticipation of visitors to return, i.e., the obsessive thoughts of those who have been affected.

The second time you enter your chosen area, you may not be able to spend as much time as the first, owing to your increased fear and subsequent need to quickly exercise/exorcise it and remove yourself. At this point you are prepared for the metamorphosis —unless you find the second time a "charm," and crave to entertain your fears to greater and more ecstatic heights, in which case you either haven't scared yourself enough, or else there is little chance for role -change. In other words, before you can become the hunter, you must first have aroused and then exorcised a need to be the victim.

If you are a habitual "victim" it is wise to proceed with caution. Your desire to be frightened and its ensuing manifestations could impel you into a situation whereby you could be severely injured or killed. If, however, you are able to meet your fright-needs and exorcise the, then go on to the next step:

Metamorphosis
Attire yourself in a manner conducive to the change that is to be effected. Legends of Berserkers donning the skins of wolves and bears hold substantial meaning, in view of the importance of costume in ritual. Dress in the most stereotyped, "corny" manner, as the second skin that you wear is a potent element in complete transmogrification. This is hermetic or sympathetic magic exemplified (as above, so below). If you wear the mask of the wolf or the skin of a beast, it is preferable if it is not genuine, as you can better infuse a facsimile of the chosen animal with your own personality, while drawing from the known attributes of the species represented. The skin or mask will serve as a catalyst, a blue-print, for what you will become as you merge with it.

Enter the blighted area with eager anticipation. When you approach the spots where you would have previously been the most frightened, allow yourself to revel in the thought of how terrifying it would be to another if they were to feel the same fear you had felt, plus the added terror with an actual manifestation of an unfamiliar and grotesque creature. In short, it is now your role to contribute to the fearsomeness of the place.

The stage has been set and all necessary components have been activated. You have experienced intense fear, now it is your turn to manifest intense fearsomeness in the form of bestiality. Allow yourself to slouch, almost dropping down on all- fours at times. Children are quite proficient in their approximations of animals. Remember when? You've also romped on all-fours with dog or cat, no doubt. Did you ever consider the implications?

Sniff the air, savoring it and the smells of the environment in which you stand. If there are trees around, get close to them, touching them, pawing them, climbing and shaking them. Do everything possible to emulate an animal. If you are in a building, urinate against a wall or on the floor. Remember, wild creatures are not housebroken! Snort, snarl, roar, grunt — make all the unsavory sounds you want.

As you progressively become more imbued with the sensations of being an animal, you will actually feel certain areas of your body responding in a manner alien to the human anatomy. Your legs will become haunches. Your arms will become forelimbs for claws or paws that crave to grasp at the nearest thing, Your countenance will change. Your facial muscles will begin to twitch in bestial grimaces. All of your senses will become more acute. You will feel the need to urinate more frequently. You will become fascinated with the moon, especially if it is full. If you are indoors, you will seek to explore behind things, into cracks, below boards. You will feel a desire to snuffle into closed areas, burrowing your head and body.

If you feel sexual desire, it will be in a rapacious manner, and if you should perceive another person who might not normally appear sexually to you, the nature of your transformation will make up for their lacking attributes. The impulse to attack will be present, but your higher mind must refrain, taking over and holding you in your spot, while still allowing you sufficient impetus to release yourself. This is the stage of transformation where control is essential, unless one is with a willing partner who can enter the Game as the hunted and revel in their roles. If this is the case, then complete sexual assault can be manifested. If not, sufficient restraint to attain sexual release without an attack upon the "victim" must be exercised.

At the moment of orgasm, a complete irrevocable encompassing of the animal within must occur, with whatever abandon to this level may ensue. It is at this tune that the change will take place, and if one should be unfortunate (or fortunate?) enough to witness your metamorphosis, you may be assured they will never forget it.

This entire principle, carried out in a ritualistic exercise between precast hunter and hunted is, of course, the basis of such children's games as hide and seek, where one child revels in being frightened while the other delights in terrifying, often with both roles interchanging within a single episode of the game. As children are naturally closer to an animal state, so they are well qualified to teach us means by which we might bring ourselves closer. It is the transitional nature of children that makes them ideal teachers.

Once your transformation has been effected (remember, the most profound manifestation can only occur after sufficient build-up), allow yourself to "come down," having retreated if necessary to a place where you have unconcernedly drop to the ground or floor. If you have done your exercise well, you should, upon returning to your normal state, fell the desire to partake of nourishment.

The tremendous build-up and discharge of energy in reaching this state will have consumed a vast amount of calories. So the obvious epilogue to your ritual, and completion of the animal cycle, is to eat your fill and go to sleep.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Anyone played Stars Without Number? Is it any good?
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

A guy in the 3.5 game I joined is talking about his 9th level rogue in a different game.
In this particular case the base damage was 1d6+1, the sneak attack was 5d6, and the flank bonus from the marshal aura was 5. So on each crit it was 2d6+2+5d6+5
Surprise = 1 attack, round 1 = 3 attacks (2 base + 1 from haste)
I don't play a lot of D&D and never got to level 9. Is this damage actually in any way impressive? 25 average damage on a crit and three attacks per round just doesn't seem all that great to me.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Longes wrote:A guy in the 3.5 game I joined is talking about his 9th level rogue in a different game.
In this particular case the base damage was 1d6+1, the sneak attack was 5d6, and the flank bonus from the marshal aura was 5. So on each crit it was 2d6+2+5d6+5
Surprise = 1 attack, round 1 = 3 attacks (2 base + 1 from haste)
I don't play a lot of D&D and never got to level 9. Is this damage actually in any way impressive? 25 average damage on a crit and three attacks per round just doesn't seem all that great to me.
That's almost literally the bottom of what a Rogue with no optimization and a non-magic shortsword does. That's not even two non-magic shortswords. That's not even getting particularly groovy buffs from the casters on the team. That's seriously ass-wipe damage for a 9th level Rogue.

-Username17
erik
King

Post by erik »

That is like minimum expected damage for a mediocre 9th level Rogue.

A 10str human rogue with a +1 short sword will be dealing 6d6+1 damage (avg 22 per hit, 26.5 per crit).

I have no idea why the edge case of crits is featured since usually Rogues give very little shits for crits, especially in this case, it added what, 1d6+1 damage? And a substantial influence is the bonus from another character and a spell effect.

There is a miscalculation in there as well, the Marshall bonus would be multiplied on a crit, and 7d6+7 comes out to 31.5 so it should be 36.5 avg crit damage with the Marshall bonus properly multiplied.

So, rogue dealing 27 avg damage, 36.5 avg on crit.

For comparison, a 9th level NPC hobgoblin Fighter with stats culled from the base class NPC lists of the DMG (p117 DMG) will have:
+1 Bastard Sword (weapon spec, 17 str/2handed)
Given the same +5 flank damage from a Marshall friend and 2H-power attacking to reduce BAB bonus to the same level as a rogue (i.e. -3 BAB for +6 dmg):

1d10+18, 23.5 avg damage, 47 avg on crit.

So no, that rogue has nothing at all to feel good about and isn't even expressing it well regardless. They didn't manage to make a substandard NPC character, so they can pat themselves on the back for that I guess.

I have seen 9th level "rogues" who entertained duelist fancies that were dealing shit like 2.5 average damage per attack since they never flanked/sneak attacked. On paper their character maybe was just a notch worse than NPC-tier non-caster, but in practice... they could have sat out every single combat.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

You are a fire elemental. You want to sneak into a sorcerer's fortress, and the narrative is on your side. What sorts of tricks might you be able to do to avoid getting caught by guards?

I'm hoping to make the elemental Large, but with the ability to scrunch up and form a more compact fire. That means you could hide in a large oven.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Chimney?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:You are a fire elemental. You want to sneak into a sorcerer's fortress, and the narrative is on your side. What sorts of tricks might you be able to do to avoid getting caught by guards?

I'm hoping to make the elemental Large, but with the ability to scrunch up and form a more compact fire. That means you could hide in a large oven.
I start a fire
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

OgreBattle wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:You are a fire elemental. You want to sneak into a sorcerer's fortress, and the narrative is on your side. What sorts of tricks might you be able to do to avoid getting caught by guards?

I start a fire
I start a fire on the opposite side from my planned entry point and sneak in while their attention is distracted.
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

ishy wrote:Well if someone looking like this approaches me, I'm not going to ask if they are male or female, I'm just going to run.
You are obviously not a Bard player...

http://search.elfwood.com/u/andersson2/ ... e-werewolf
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Zanatos's reaction faces need to be harnessed into a gif like the McMahon one.

--

So the D&D stats for gorillas:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ape.htm

is strength 21 really representative of how strong they are in real life?
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Gorillas are around 6 times stronger than a human and therefore should have a strength of 23 rather than 21 if you want to go by carrying capacity. But then again, the ape in the SRD is not a gorilla. They are "powerful omnivores resemble gorillas but are far more aggressive" and can have whatever stats the authors say they do.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Doublepost time: What's an LA +0 insect race in 3.5 that would make for a not awful spellcaster?
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.