Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

The "monk unarmed strikes hit incorporeal creatures as if they were magic" is such a common house rule that I occasionally forget that it's not actually a rule.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:The "monk unarmed strikes hit incorporeal creatures as if they were magic" is such a common house rule that I occasionally forget that it's not actually a rule.
That's okay, because Pathfinder said they were going to errata it over a year ago, but they just can't seem to get around to doing it.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Axebird wrote:Sort of. But Alchemists have limited bombs per day, more burst potential since they can full attack with them (with a discovery, and can use TWF and Rapid Shot), and do much more interesting things on a hit.
An alchemist goes nova by using up his limited bomb uses and a kineticist goes nova by taking burn damage, but the principle is similar. And yes, the list of alchemist bomb types is longer than the list of kineticist add-ons (which is not surprising).
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

how does Pathfinder justify the limitation alchemists have of bombs per day and 'only the alchemist can throw them' in a way that doesn't sound like 4e?
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

OgreBattle wrote:how does Pathfinder justify the limitation alchemists have of bombs per day and 'only the alchemist can throw them' in a way that doesn't sound like 4e?
Alchemist is a technocrat from Mage, and bombs are a Forces effect. They don't work for other people because they don't believe in magic enough.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I think the official explanation is that they're not exactly our modern sort of bomb and keeping them explosive without blowing up in your face demands skilled labor.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Kinda disappointed that they fucked up Occult Adventures. The Beguiler is my favorite 3.5 class and the Summoner is my favorite Pathfinder class. I was kinda hoping for more great stuff in that vein.
Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

It's not out yet. Theoretically they could fix the problems before release. After the Advanced Class Guide I kinda doubt it though.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

Does anyone on here know of a way for a cleric to cherry pick certain wizard transmutation spells like Blood Money or Telekinesis without losing caster levels?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I know you said 'cleric', but:

Oracles have this archetype.

Shamans have the Arcane Enlightenment hex.

And finally, for all divine spellcasters you have this bojangles. Be sure to pack plenty of pearls of power and/or wands of Channel the Gift. Clerics still have the hardest time using this feat, but I'm sure you can cook up some special roleplaying bullshit that will let you use the feat while largely playing the same character you want.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Dreamed Secrets feat. Lets you add two Sor/Wiz spells up to one level below the highest you can cast to your list, and can be different ones each day.

Requires a DC 20 Will save to cast them, but hey, you're a Cleric.

Edit: Ninja'd
Last edited by Ice9 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Just be a Samsaran.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

TiaC wrote:Just be a Samsaran.
As nifty as they are, samsaran don't cross the arcane/divine gap.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Pixels wrote:
TiaC wrote:Just be a Samsaran.
As nifty as they are, samsaran don't cross the arcane/divine gap.
Hm, true. Could have sworn there was a domain with Telekinesis though.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

I'm monkeying with constructing a spellcasting cleric with a splash of melee (by which I mean wields a longspear to keep out of reach and stab foes with AoOs that get too close), and am trying to figure out feats and domains. Lago's list a couple pages ago was helpful, but I'm wondering if I should go with two castery domains (Void and Artifice (Construct), perhaps), or one caster domain (Void, Artifice (Construct), or Darkness), and one more fighty domain (I have no idea, Destruction (Rage) or Glory (Heroism), maybe?)

Also, feats. I was looking at the aforementioned one for cherry picking wizard spells too, and maybe Combat Reflexes, but don't know otherwise.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

If you're doing a reach build, Combat Reflexes (and some dexterity to go with it) is mandatory. Mid-level reach clerics may also want to consider dipping into the Improved/Greater Trip line, too, because they can pump their attack bonuses respectably high enough to reliably nail the CMB check.

However, the big dilemma you're going to be facing with Reach cleric builds is whether you want to emphasize melee damage, you're content with (increasingly irrelevant) zone of controls, or just seeing your longspear use as a bridging build for the low levels. The reason why I pushed the Cleric Monk and Cleric Archers builds earlier was that they can get quite high damage bonuses without dipping too much into their stock of feats, which generally is the soft cap on damage. Other kind of clerics have a significantly harder time doing so, to the point where if they want to throw down enough damage to make monsters care they have to consider options like STR + polymorph builds and nicking Good Hope. If you're not planning on advancing past level 9 or so this isn't a big deal at all, but your damage really starts dropping off past then even if you're using stuff like haste boots and your extra iterative attack.

EDIT: You might find this guide helpful, too.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

While pumping melee damage sounds nice, I fear that it would suck up too much of my resources for my liking, since I don't want to compromise my casting that much. I suppose that the spear is mostly just a bridging thing for low levels, possibly with a zone of control or whatever damage i can pump with just spell buffs and possibly a domain.

Also, of your list of worthy domains, what would you say the top 5 for caster focused clerics would be?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

'Caster' is too broad of a term. If you mean 'blaster' (or, as I should've said in the first place, 'battlefield control') cleric, I recommend some combination of Void, Charm, Luck (Imagination), Darkness (Night), and Earth [Caverns]. Though keep in mind:

[*] If you're going Veiled Illusionist (and if you're a battlefield control cleric, you need a strong reason not to go this route), the Darkness/Luck domain isn't as much of a must-have. It's still not a bad domain to have because, you know, domain slots but you should consider something else unless you're doing the level 1 to beyond slog or you're being cockblocked by deity choice.
[*] If you have a domain that already gives out GREAT options nearly every level (like Charm or Darkness) you don't have to double-pick two battlefield control domains. It's not a bad idea to pick up a domain that gives general utility like Water [Flotsam] or Trickery (Innuendo) or Freedom.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

At mid levels, the Fortuitous weapon property can help you keep a reach cleric scaling. It still falls off a bit (no haste extra attack or 3rd iterative), but it helps quite a bit- especially since you can keep your enhancement bonus on your weapon solid with greater magic weapon and a bead of karma.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

Ok, I think I should just say "screw it" to the spear thing, and just go full casting focused cleric. Probably battlefield control as described before. Since when I actually have a chance to play said cleric, there exists a high chance of me being the only caster in the party, I'll want to be able to access some of the wizard mojo too. Between the Dreamed Secrets feat and a good domain, I should be able to be a plenty good "wizard" cleric, so it's mostly a matter of domains. I was thinking either Void or Darkness along with either Artifice (Construct) for the creation spells and free animate objects, or Water [Flotsam] for free creation of stuff. Also, the character I have in mind is not too big on magical mind control, so the Charm domain doesn't really fit. If eventually taking Veiled Illusionist, would Void and Construct or Flotsam be a good combination, or would there be a better combination for a pure magic cleric (that is, one who sits in the back and throws out awesome spells, rather than slashing or stabbing or bashing with weapons.)?
Last edited by Archmage Joda on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

Yeah. Dreamed Secrets means you have access to pretty much any downtime wizard spell you like, which is pretty sweet. Go nuts making simulacrums of demon/empyreal lords and stuff.

Water [Flotsam] is really cool later but it's balls until you get Flotsam's ability; Icicle is one of the worst kinds of domain abilities. If you can stomach that (and want the domain spells), it's solid.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Watch out when using a spear in Pathfinder. Unlike 3e, it has openings:

Code: Select all

3e longspear:
XXXXX
X   X
X O X
X   X
XXXXX

Pathfinder longspear:
 XXX
X   X
X O X
X   X
 XXX
So your enemies just have to move like bishops to avoid the AoO.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Actually, the Paizo FAQ simultaneously says that (with a 10ft reach weapon) you do not threaten diagonals and that you will still get an AoO for people approaching you on a diagonal. Sean K. Reynolds declared that AoO's were measured using Warhammer-style ruler distances on the abstraction created by the grid. A square one away on a diagonal is 5ft. A square two away on a diagonal is 15ft. Your reach weapon creates a literal band on the grid at 10ft, and anyone who crosses that band provokes an AoO. It is impossible to move from 15ft to 5ft without crossing this band. Ergo, you get the AoO. Also, this band is not actually a band, because it uses grid distances and grid distance corresponds to different real distances for straight movements, odd diagonal movements, and even diagonal movements. So it's really just eight non-contiguous segments from two different circles.

If this sounds fucking stupid to you, that's because it is. The real story is that for whatever reason, Pathfinder omited 3.5's "reach weapons count all diagonals as one square" rule. When asked for clarification on whether this was intentional, one of the devs made an official statement in the FAQ acknowledging that reach weapons follow the 1-2-1-2 diagonal counting rule. This lead immediately to the problem you describe, and having been shown conclusively that their decision was fucking stupid they saw the error of their ways and corrected themselves like mature adults Sean K. Reynolds added an unnecessarily complicated pile of bullshit into the FAQ to fix the problem.

Paizo is staffed by defensive and insecure manchildren. Seriously. They cannot admit to or learn from their mistakes, and they will go to ridiculous lengths in order to avoid going back on a decision they've made once they've made it. It's why the FAQ is such a hilarious sack of fail.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

DSMatticus wrote:The real story is that for whatever reason, Pathfinder omited 3.5's "reach weapons count all diagonals as one square" rule.
That's because there are some rules (or rule snippets) that are not in the SRD but that are in the corresponding 3.X core rulebook.
DSMatticus wrote:They cannot admit to or learn from their mistakes, and they will go to ridiculous lengths in order to avoid going back on a decision they've made once they've made it.
There's definitely a reluctance to say "oops, we overlooked that" in favour of trying to solve issues with pretzel logic.