POKEYMANS thread

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Prak wrote:Good tip on Poison Jab, Shrapnel.
Your welcome!
--

Speaking of Pachirisu, the 2014 World Champion won using one that was super bulked, to the point that it survived a rock-slide from a Tyranitar. It's insane.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Did the world championship take place in an XY-style octagonal cage, with streamers and confetti as contestants enter? Was there a title belt on the line?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Alas, no. The tournament was about as meaningful as a StarCraft tournament, only slightly less boring and Korean.
Half asleep upon my knee
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Well, apparently the 2015 World Championships are going to be held in Boston, at the Hynes Convention Center (which is T accessible via the Green Line! So convenient!).

It's so nice to have things like this happen locally, y'know?
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

There should be a round where the competitors have to dress up like pokemon and fight.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Or, to fit in with Boston, have people dress up as Pokémon and try to find a place to park in Fenway during a Sox game, which takes REAL skill.

(You can't park in Harvard Yard.)
Half asleep upon my knee
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

I enjoy fairy types partly because I actually am a fan of the cuter designs and partly because they do allow for early dragon access. So many dragon types are on my "want to play with eventually" list but by the time they appear in game my main team is more or less set and my mood is "fuck it I'm almost done with the game I'm not grinding you to level 60"

Pokemon bank helps because I don't need to borrow my brother's 3ds for tedious early game trading. I can just send them to the cloud box, restart, download them from the cloud box.

I have to say though I am excited for mega altaria. Altaria has always been my favorite dragon type, favorite all around pokemon, and favorite choice for Hoenn fly slave. So now I can turn it into a giant screaming cloudfairy. All my dreams have come true.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Just got myself Black 2 for my DS. First Pokemon game I've played since Silver on my Gamebow Pocket. Did I make a good choice?

On a related note, I chose the reptile starter, as he was the only one that didn't look dumb as fuck.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Ah, the smug bastard. Whatever the actual name given was, everyone on the Internet named it Smugleaf. Yes I chose that one too.

B2W2 are some of the best games. It has a lot of non-battling stuff to do if you like running shopping centres and being a movie star. You can basically ignore that stuff too if you like. It gives you a wide selection of pokemon throughout rather than focusing only on their local ones - you can even catch a Riolu early on, and if you're sufficiently nuts you can evolve it into Lucario pretty early, seeing as it's "Gain any level at Daytime + Max happiness" rather than "hit level X".

I think Black 2 might be slightly harder than White 2? Didn't they make the difficulty differ between them? Other than that, there are some pretty rad opportunities for catching a lot of good pokemon, and for getting shiny pokemon.

Ultimately, the top three, in "some kind of order I dunno" would be:
-HeartGold/SoulSilver (generally polished, sort of has two lands to explore, the pokemon follows you)
-X/Y (really good, but once you beat the game and the little mission thing after that, it quickly gets dull as there's little in the way of postgame fun)
-B2W2 (so much postgame and side adventuring fun to keep you occupied)
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

Koumei wrote:Ah, the smug bastard. Whatever the actual name given was, everyone on the Internet named it Smugleaf. Yes I chose that one too.

B2W2 are some of the best games. It has a lot of non-battling stuff to do if you like running shopping centres and being a movie star. You can basically ignore that stuff too if you like. It gives you a wide selection of pokemon throughout rather than focusing only on their local ones - you can even catch a Riolu early on, and if you're sufficiently nuts you can evolve it into Lucario pretty early, seeing as it's "Gain any level at Daytime + Max happiness" rather than "hit level X".

I think Black 2 might be slightly harder than White 2? Didn't they make the difficulty differ between them? Other than that, there are some pretty rad opportunities for catching a lot of good pokemon, and for getting shiny pokemon.

Ultimately, the top three, in "some kind of order I dunno" would be:
-HeartGold/SoulSilver (generally polished, sort of has two lands to explore, the pokemon follows you)
-X/Y (really good, but once you beat the game and the little mission thing after that, it quickly gets dull as there's little in the way of postgame fun)
-B2W2 (so much postgame and side adventuring fun to keep you occupied)
After you beat Black/White you unlock an optional extra difficulty. Black unlocks hard mode, white unlocks easy mode. You could link with the opposite version of the game to gain the mode you don't have on your copy. The base difficulty of the games is the same though.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oh, Haxorus, how you make battles so damned easy.

Also, I finally went out and got a new Action Replay because I hate level grinding. Due to the new restrictions on the 3DS, it only works through modifying save files.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

After much sweat, tears, blood, and semen, I finally obtained a hidden ability Vulpix via the DexNav in OR...

...and then my 3DS broke.
Half asleep upon my knee
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

Shrapnel wrote:After much sweat, tears, blood, and semen, I finally obtained a hidden ability Vulpix via the DexNav in OR...

...and then my 3DS broke.
Maybe if you didn't cover it in sweat, tears, blood, and semen...
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Prak wrote:Oh, Haxorus, how you make battles so damned easy.

Also, I finally went out and got a new Action Replay because I hate level grinding. Due to the new restrictions on the 3DS, it only works through modifying save files.
And they thought they'd end the Action Replay with their UNHAXXABLE 3DS coding. Oh you, Nintendo.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

See, I don't get why Nintendo is so opposed to the AR. Were they this against the Game Genie/Codeshark? I get them not wanting cheated 'mons in competitions, but... I don't give a shit about competitions, I just don't want to spend hours training up a single pokemon.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well, part of it is that requiring grinding artificially inflates the playtime by huge amounts so they can boast it has however many hours of entertainment in it. Even though, if anything, hours of grinding should count as a negative value against entertainment.

Another part is that Nintendo is the Japanese word for Nazi [Citation Needed], and they traditionally have a problem with everyone and everything. One of the big things that helped Sony get a foothold (and basically win the Saturn/PSX/NU64 battle) was that Sega and Nintendo were such shits to work with that developers flocked to the new guy who was so easygoing by comparison.

So not only is some other person getting the money for a product that you use with their console, but also, you're not playing the games in the manner that they demand.
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

Prak wrote:See, I don't get why Nintendo is so opposed to the AR. Were they this against the Game Genie/Codeshark? I get them not wanting cheated 'mons in competitions, but... I don't give a shit about competitions, I just don't want to spend hours training up a single pokemon.
It still requires some grinding but through the secret Base QR codes you can find people who have stocked their teams with nothing but level 100 blissey's that only know heal pulse. I took my team from level 40 to 80 in no time.

You just have to make sure they already have EVs sorted out if you care about that sort of thing. It's not a perfect solution but secret bases in general make a lot of things much easier on the player. I just wish you didn't have to collect so many fucking flags to unlock all the coolest furniture.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Why is Nintendo against ARs? I'll tell you.

It's because they are against all that is good and right. They are literally Satan, the Beast, the Great Adversary, as foretold by George Foreman.

They don't want you to have good things, especially if said good thing is a cheated event Pokémon that they have no intention of ever releasing again *cough* Manaphy *cough*, or avoiding hours of fighting the same goddamn trainers over again to level up.

Fuck Nintendo. Fuck them fuck them fuck them FUCK THEM.

...Can you tell that I don't like them? I don't think I made it obvious enough.
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Now now, Satan is fully in favour of things that are good and right. Like sex. And rock. And drugs.

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Well, I meant Satan in a more broader, general sense. Kinda like more "Adversary" than "recolored Pan". But you're right, of course.

If you prefer, I could always call them Don Murphy.
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Actually, I think the name Nintendo should just become synonymous with being an adversary to all that is good and right.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Can Hidden Abilities be gained through breeding even if the parents don't have it?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Nope. And yeah, that means there are Hidden Abilities that are known but not actually available. For instance, the PoisonDragon thing that looks like seaweed is waiting for its Hidden Ability to become available so it can be viable.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

You can, supposedly, breed hidden abilities, if one of the parents has the hidden ability. Also, apparently, hordes sometimes have pokemon with the hidden ability.

Have fun hunting hordes and using Skill Trick to see if any of the pokemon in the horde have the hidden ability.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Correct and correct. But not all pokemon can show up in hordes (very few actually), and you actually need a parent pokemon with the Hidden Ability in order to breed more with it, so at that point you've already done the hardest part and now you're presumably just mass-producing them for "perfect IVs and Nature".