Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Yeah I can't do it either. I have no idea what's letting it only use 98 and not XP.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I sincerely thank you for trying.

Which leads me to reiterate, "Fuck Mac."
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Have you considered installing Windows? In addition to paint, it'd probably make a lot of other things easier.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I've been planning to, but I have neither the technical knowhow nor the means to reach someone who does at the time. (It helps that this computer lacks a disk drive.)

I do love that Mac's response to "our OS can't run shit" is effectively "buy the competition."
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Why do you have a mac if you hate them?

I think your best option is probably one of those crappy free Paint substitutes... or buying a Windows machine, but I assume you don't have $250 to throw around.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

me wrote:(And before anyone asks why I got a Mac in the first place, it was because I effectively had no choice. It was a gift from my sister after my old computer broke, and I don't want to hurt her feelings by saying her expensive computer sucks for everything I want to use a computer for. Otherwise I'd have returned it and bought a PC, and games to play on it)
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Herp derp I can't read.

For this fix specifically, I think you should go onto wineskin/winebottler forums and ask for help. If you want to use more windows-compatible software, you should use bootcamp.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Alright, so I figured out that the constant on the waking up in the middle of the night bloated and in pain thing was some shit pre-prepped garlic bread from Raleys my parents like. It's slathered in butter and the greasiest thing I've ever willingly come in contact with. So I stopped eating that, and lo and behold, no more bloating.

Until today after a 2am meal of Taco Bell. I'm thinking the sour cream was the culprit, but I can eat ice cream at 2am with no problem, so I'm just fucking confused.

Is there some kind of huge difference in the composition of butter or sour cream and milk or ice cream that could account for that?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Why do you think it's a butter? Why not something in the bread?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It could be, but I usually have no problem with carbs of any sort.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

Anyone know any good shareable calendar/booking programs in which you can see the use of up to 12 items each in their own column?

I'm currently trying to use Google Calendar to book 8 rooms out to people, as well as other random events, and it's a huge hassle trying to work out which ones are in use and which are available. It's worse since lots of them get booked by the hour and the hours are arbitrary, so they can be say 11:00 to 12:20. I can have 25-30 bookings in one day, and 6 or 7 at one time.

Google calendar is not working. A lot of the time I can only see three characters on the calendar entry.

At some point in the nearish future I'm going to be increasing that to 9, and hopefully in the next few months it'll be 12 or more.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

MSG, maybe?
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

@Prak.

Older people take longer to digest food without troubles. When you get really old you won't be able to eat much after lunch or it'll still be troubling you in the night. Maybe just try not eating anything much after midnight, and then in another ten years not after 10pm, etc.

I mean, you might also have something you're struggling to digest in general, but then you'd also get huge gas and pain from it whenever you ate it. I'd imagine the specific problems are just the garlic bread and taco are relatively hard to digest compared to ice cream (which is syrup in disguise, barely even needs digested at all).

But also, you're applying for work, and stress fucks up digestion too. Just try eating like a proper grownup for a while until things settle down.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Prak wrote:It could be, but I usually have no problem with carbs of any sort.
You're assuming that there's only carbs in the bread. Try reading the ingredient list.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Does anyone here use or know how to use Maya? Specifically the 2015 version.

I need to know how to apply textures (such as images nabbed from the web) to objects.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

@Prak: I think your problem might be that you're eating from, you know, Taco Bell. Basically everyone I know has given up on them (me included) because their food gives everyone digestive troubles of one kind or another. Consider finding higher quality Tex-mex.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hadanelith: You're missing the other posts I've made looking for some kind of answer which had nothing to do with Taco Bell.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

There certainly is a big difference between ice cream and butter or sour cream: ice cream is often eaten alone and its bulk is mostly just air while butter and sour cream typically comes on something more robust. Fats slow down your digestive processes, but that's usually only uncomfortable if you have a fair bit of stuff in there to work through.
bears fall, everyone dies
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

That's an interesting point.

This has been a frustrating thing to figure out because I basically have to wait for it to happen and then try to remember what I ate and think back to previous times it happened. I mean, I could seek out what's doing it, trying to induce it, but... that's essentially saying "Hey! Let's figure out what causes me intense intestinal pain and prevents me from sleeping by exposing myself to the possibilities!"

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, I think you're much better served with just keeping a food diary and working from there so you have something more substantial to say if things get bad enough that you want to talk to a doctor about it.
bears fall, everyone dies
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah. I've started doing that for calories again anyway, so it should help.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

My wife is a little confused about exactly how android open source licenses work. She apparently needs to use an app as part of a few paid training courses that she is developing. She isn't going to be re-selling the app, but since it is still being used for commercial purposes. Would this okay with open source licenses? The two particular licenses she is looking at are:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GNUGPLv3
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#apache2
Last edited by Cynic on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Artless
Journeyman

Post by Artless »

Shrapnel wrote:Does anyone here use or know how to use Maya? Specifically the 2015 version.

I need to know how to apply textures (such as images nabbed from the web) to objects.
Sorry if this is way late and you've already moved on, but applying textures is basically the same across all modelling programs: you unwrap the UV map and then use an image editor like Photoshop or GIMP to paint the texture on. Most suites have a UV editor built in but they tend to be pretty limited.
It'll work for most models, but sometimes if you use automatic mapping tools the way it projects the model in 2d leads to wonky UVs and you'll have to go and manually unwrap it to get clean ones which is enormously tedious.

I won't direct you to youtube since most tutorials are either part of a 900 hour series or tend to be pretty opaque in their explanations, but Maya's own documentation has a basic lesson on it to get started: here.

Edit: just remembered that the first edition of Vertex had two pretty good articles on this that get a little more in-depth if you're interested: Del Walker's on page 176 and Tamara Bakhlycheva' on 256.
Last edited by Artless on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

How does one go about cleaning a touch screen (like, say, a Wii U game pad)?

Do you just use a damp washcloth or whatever, or do you need to do something special?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

The best thing I've found is a microfiber cloth. Unless you've got serious gunkage, you shouldn't even need anything else. I like it so much that I made two 'pockets' out of a microfiber towel to carry my iPod and Ess' Kindle Fire around in so they stay clean.

If you do have major gunkage, you can use something like windex (spray it on the cloth/paper towel/napkin/whatever, not the glass) or mildly soapy water. And then dry with microfiber.

Basically, use microfiber. Really.