Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

icyshadowlord wrote:Why is a PM I have tried to send last week just sitting in my Outbox, instead of going to the Sentbox?
I think that means it's still unread.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Tussock, you're a damn idiot, you know that? Every person's bones achieve a maximum density sometime in their twenties and gradually demineralize as they get older. Sooner or later, everyone gets osteoporosis, and that's bad. It happens to people who have less calcium in their bones at age 22 faster than it happens to people who have more.

Vitamin D is more important than dietary calcium, but dietary calcium still has an effect. It's an equilibrium process, so obviously changing any of the terms changes the rate of change.

-Username17
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I've made bone broth before and leached out the calcium from the bones. So, if I add vinegar directly to my bloodstream at a concentration of about 2 tablespoons per gallon, could I de-calcify my bones?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I've made bone broth before and leached out the calcium from the bones. So, if I add vinegar directly to my bloodstream at a concentration of about 2 tablespoons per gallon, could I de-calcify my bones?
Yes.

You might also die.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Why do Smart TV's not react to stuff that comes from their own speakers?
So for example, if the Smart-TV has the voice activation command "shut down" for switchting it off and you watch a movie or TV series where somebody says "shut down", why does the TV not get switched off? @.@

Or a clapper device to applause on the TV?
Last edited by Stahlseele on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I've made bone broth before and leached out the calcium from the bones. So, if I add vinegar directly to my bloodstream at a concentration of about 2 tablespoons per gallon, could I de-calcify my bones?
Yes.

You might also die.

-Username17
Isn't your blood too well buffered for that to work though?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Not if you jab an injection needle directly into your arm.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

name_here wrote:Not if you jab an injection needle directly into your arm.
No, I mean pH buffered. The pH of your blood shouldn't change much even if you put quite a bit of acid in it.
LeadPal
Apprentice

Post by LeadPal »

Blood pH doesn't change easily, but when it changes at all the results are not good. Shooting up diluted vinegar would probably either do nothing or put you in a coma, with not much in-between.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Adding acid to the blood would make the pH fall and then various processes would make it rise. I have no idea how quickly that would happen. Given that people have a lot of blood, it would probably take a considerable amount of acid to change pH enough for long enough to be dangerous, but I would not advise testing.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

FrankTrollman wrote:Tussock, you're a damn idiot, you know that? Every person's bones achieve a maximum density sometime in their twenties and gradually demineralize as they get older. Sooner or later, everyone gets osteoporosis, and that's bad. It happens to people who have less calcium in their bones at age 22 faster than it happens to people who have more.

Vitamin D is more important than dietary calcium, but dietary calcium still has an effect. It's an equilibrium process, so obviously changing any of the terms changes the rate of change.
Yes, I know I'm an idiot, but I'm a curious one. Did your study of bone density occur, per chance, in a country where almost all people accumulate cars, office jobs, and a TV sometime in their early 20's? Which is to say, they live sitting their ass after an extended childhood?

Like, astronauts in orbit seriously lose bone mineral, very rapidly without heavy exercise routines (and still slowly with them). But then they get it back to normal over a few months back on earth. People who start lifting weights at retirement will be stronger at 75 than they ever have been in their lives, and will thus have stronger bones with greater mineralisation. The internet says people who start lifting after 40 never peak, they just get stronger until they give up or die.

They're not as strong as they would have been in their late 20's if they'd lifted since 18, because your peak power production seems to happen 25-30, for sprinters, Olympic lifters, and such, and that limits stress on the bones, and thus limits bone mineralisation.

But again, wikipedia (and the stuff it links) is pretty clear that people get osteoporosis because they get feeble, for various reasons (typically a lack of activity associated with immune response, pain, or failing energy production).

The basic cure for osteoporosis is making old people (and whoever else) lift weights. It just goes away. Old people can also be fit and have less coronaries and strokes.

So if you're getting weak, fucking do something about getting stronger. If you were already weak in your 20's, fucking fix that shit at some point. Also do not inject acid into your blood, that's crazy.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Stahlseele wrote:Why do Smart TV's not react to stuff that comes from their own speakers?
So for example, if the Smart-TV has the voice activation command "shut down" for switchting it off and you watch a movie or TV series where somebody says "shut down", why does the TV not get switched off? @.@

Or a clapper device to applause on the TV?
When you know what noise you create, it's easy to cancel it.
Basically you just listen to "the current sound - the sound I've created" (of course it's mathematically a bit more complex than that, but we've got good enough signal processing algorithms to do it).
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

God dammit Tussock, your gross ignorance on this subject is extremely grating. Calcium deficiency is in fact extremely common and has real consequences. Most of it is secondary to vitamin D deficiency, but not all of it is. Telling people "lol, exercise more" is not helpful. It's not "the cure", it's a thing that helps in some cases. But if you have a primary or secondary calcium deficiency, all exercise is going to do is break the bones you have. Fuck.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Greek debt crisis hypothetical:

What would happen if Greece hasically sold itself to some other country, such as Russia or China?

Say Russia agrees to pay Greece's debt, and in turn Greece is now a member state of the Russian Federation, with all that entails, rather than a sovereign state. But at the same time it refuses to pull out of the EU and the Eurozone.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I think the first thing that would happen would be a popular revolutionary uprising to put the heads of whoever made that deal on spikes, followed by a new government based chiefly on not honoring that deal. It is hard to overstate how much the Greeks fetishize their sovereignty, and how much their ethnic pride would be offended by becoming the subjects of a slavic nation.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Not so much an annoying question as a stupid one-

I asked a friend of mine if she'd like to accompany me to a local Irish pub on St. Patrick's Day. Because that's the closest I can come to actually asking someone out. She has yet to respond, but she is interested in trying an Irish Car Bomb.

Assuming she accepts my asking her out, I'd like her to be able to try one, and I'd like to avoid pissing off the potentially Irish national bartender. Is there a polite name to use when ordering an Jameson/Guinness boilermaker? Should we just order "a boilermaker with Guinness and Jameson?" If we just order a boilermaker, will an Irish pub likely use Guinness and Jameson/other Irish whiskey without us specifying?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Not knowing the bar in question, I'd suggest just describing the drink.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

There's no politically correct name for an Irish Car Bomb, at least none that I'd expect people, even bartenders at Irish pubs in the US, to recognize.

In fact, quite apart from the name an Irish bartender might easily refuse to serve that drink at all, on general principles. Of course that's not a given, but I probably wouldn't risk it with a bartender I didn't know.

Trying to tiptoe around the issue by ordering "a Jameson/Guinness boilermaker" has its own issues - for one thing, a "proper" Irish Car Bomb also includes Irish Cream (which sounds revolting to me, but whatever) and for another, that's not a concoction that many people would randomly come up with. The bartender will most likely know what you're ordering and may or may not refuse to serve it, per above.

One might say that I'm being a bit overcautious, since it's just a drink in the end, but many people consider the whole idea of the ICB to be in very poor taste, and I don't really blame them.

Tl; dr: the bartender might not care, or might not make an issue of it even if he does, but personally I would not order an ICB, by name or description, from any Irish bartender I did not personally know.

It's a pretty straightforward drink to make though, and the ingredients are useful for a wide variety of things, so if you just want your friend to be able to try it, you could make it yourselves, at your place or hers.
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Schleiermacher wrote: Trying to tiptoe around the issue by ordering "a Jameson/Guinness boilermaker" has its own issues - for one thing, a "proper" Irish Car Bomb also includes Irish Cream (which sounds revolting to me, but whatever) and for another, that's not a concoction that many people would randomly come up with.
It tastes kind of like a milkshake, I shit you not. Irish car bombs are that dangerous kind of booze that tastes so good that you forget it can and will fuck you up very quickly.

My opinion is "fuck political correctness" in this case and just call it an Irish Car Bomb. YMMV, but judging by some of the crazy shit I've said to bartenders in my alcoholic days you're not very likely to offend a bartender, Irish national or no...
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I am not Irish, but I have a decade of experience bar tending. In my tenure, I made a lot of ICB, especially on SPD. It is no more offensive than ordering a Royal Fuck, a Panty Dropper, or Alaskan Whore's Blood. It's just the name of a drink. When someone says it, I think of ingredients and glassware availability, not prima nocte, date rape, or frigid working girls.

The dozens of bartenders I know from all different walks of life operate the same way.

Game On,
fbmf
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I have to ask, what is Alaskan Whore's Blood? That's the only one I have never heard of.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Jagermeister and Rumple. Also called an oil spill.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Thanks for the advice guys. If we go, I'll feel out the place, maybe see if anyone else orders one.

Looking the question up, some people joking respond with "a 9/11."

Which clearly should be Jack in budweiser or something of the sort.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Prak wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. If we go, I'll feel out the place, maybe see if anyone else orders one.

Looking the question up, some people joking respond with "a 9/11."

Which clearly should be Jack in budweiser or something of the sort.
Really? I thought something like a Blue Kamikaze in a Manhattan Skyscraper might be a more thematic namesake.

edit: Fixed link. Thanks, Pixels.
Last edited by violence in the media on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

You copied the same link twice. The Manhattan Skyscraper is here.