Image macros that make you laugh, cry, or both.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Last edited by hyzmarca on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

:lmao: Oh, that's awesome!
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Good art, so many problems with what's happening in it...
Last edited by Prak on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

is that comic a deliberate satire of 13th Age?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

You know, I kind of wondered if it was 13th Age myself. But the artist tagged it only as D&D on tumblr. I think it's more just representative of bad dms using MTP for their players who don't know how to make good characters. It's for a comic anthology called Death Saves, which is apparently "about our favorite dead fantasy gaming characters."

schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

13th age does not use the term "Challenge Rating". Is there an edition where owlbears have a CR of 4 and do over 25 damage with an attack?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Looking at 4th and 5th, no. Full Attack in 3e is a different case, but not in a single attack. No clue about 2nd and prior, and I don't care enough to go track down those stats.

to crosspost my tumblr response-
really not sure how I feel about this… For one thing, that’s how D&D should feel, but that is a terrible representation of Level 2. For another thing, while the DM here has a great rapport with his players…. his actual DMing is not stellar… Third- an owlbear would be an acceptable challenge for a four person 2nd level party, a difficult one, but an acceptable one.
And then…
I don’t know how things go in WotC’s latest load of fail, but in 3e (the least bad edition), a single hit from an owlbear couldn’t drop a 1st level barbarian. A first level barbarian in 3e would start with 12+Con mod hp. A single claw from an owlbear deals 1d6+5 damage. Even a barbarian built by someone who doesn’t know how hp works and puts a 10 in con walks in with 12 hp, and gains an average of 6.5 upon leveling up to 2. If he’s raging (which he should be), he gains 1 hp per level. So even a poorly built level 2 barbarian has, on average, 18 hp, plus 2 while raging. The average damage on an Owlbear attack is 8. Even assuming some damage taken previously, it’s unlikely one hit would drop Mike. A full attack—2 claws and a bite—could conceivably do it, with an average damage of 22, but all three attacks need to hit (possible, as Mike is stupidly going the Conan route on armour), but even so, if Mike is at full health, he’d be at -2 hp, still alive, but bleeding out and needing to stabilize (which barbarians should be decent at). He could come back next session.
The wizard probably cast Burning Hands, while her optimal choice would have been to cast Colour Spray, denying the Owlbear an action for a round allowing the rest of the party to hit it twice before it even got to act. Which most notably allows the… “Assassin”… to sneak attack twice, meaning he gets to deal 1d8 (I’m assuming Longsword)+1d6+str mod twice. Probably ~10-12 damage. Mike’s barbarian can deal 1d12+str mod with that great axe, because rage give +4 str, he’s probably averaging 11 damage.
And they have a fighter too, for… some… reason. Who… has some bullshit artifact sword, so who the fuck knows (the fact that fighters need that shit is all the evidence you need that the class is shit).
So Round 1- Erasmus casts Colour Spray, Owlbear saves vrs Stun, should fail on average. Drax sneak attacks for 11. Mike rages and swings with his great axe for 11. Baylen swings and we can assume deals something like 10 damage with what looks like a greatsword. Who knows what the fuck else it does.
An owlbear has 52 hp, and just took 32 damage. It loses it’s action because it’s stunned.
Now Erasmus casts Burning Hands for bullshit 5 fire damage, and the rest of the party repeats their actions dealing another 32 damage. Hell, the biggest “problem” is that Mike doesn’t get to attack again and might feel left out.
And that’s just looking at the characters as they are, and not an optimized level 2 party of a fighter, wizard, rogue and barbarian who could conceivably drop an owlbear in a single round.

schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Third edition invented CR. Previous editions, there was no measure of monster power. The fact that the story does not seem to be following the rules of any edition makes that sort of tactical analysis kind of moot.

At any rate, note that the owlbear appears in the middle of a fight with multiple opponents, so the party is not at full strength.

You're getting ahead of yourself with the fighters being shit. Fighters are fine in a level 2 party. The fact that the fighter has his Secret Class Feature at level 2 is part of the main aberration in the comic. The DM is appropriating the PCs, trying to trying to play power fantasies using them. Notice how he's the one talking excitedly about how awesome they are while the players are more reserved. Between the DM being so attached to and excited about the awesome backstories/destinies of the characters and the fact that after that incident the players all decided to "lose" their character sheets indicates to me that those things were to some degree his idea in the first place.
Last edited by schpeelah on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Ancient History wrote:That's terrifying. Have some rabbits.

erik counters with vulpes lagopus.

It's super adorable!
Last edited by erik on Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Political discussions on the internet in a nutshell.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Last edited by Ancient History on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Ah, the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus...
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Occluded Sun wrote:Ah, the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus...
You, like, don't even bother to click links and read stuff, do you?
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Occluded Sun wrote:Ah, the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus...
They are not even similar...
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

What am I even looking at? It looks kind of like a crustacean-obsessed space marine in full armor. Or maybe a new demon lord villain for the next Diablo game.
Last edited by Shatner on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

It's a crab samurai. Fuller treatment here. Not sure if it's a reference to either the Crab Clan of L5R or the Heike crabs, though.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:It's a crab samurai. Fuller treatment here. Not sure if it's a reference to either the Crab Clan of L5R or the Heike crabs, though.
Oh, okay. Although if we're going down that route...
Why not, indeed

After all, Zoidberg can, with the right treatment, look pretty hardcore
As your foe or your doctor, you're not walking away from an encounter with Zoidberg unharmed.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Ancient History wrote:

Looks like it just fell out of Onimusha.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.