[IC]Princes of the City

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Seth puts a hand into his left pocket and touches his cell phone. He tries to sift through any devices connected to the internet or any cell phone networks belonging to the guests. He'll try to upload any information he can find into our own servers and wipe out any traces of having done this. Stuff like call logs, messages, emails, attached files in emails, documents lying around in phone memory, notes, memos, reminders, alarms, meetings, phone numbers, internet histories. He'll start the uploading first and then start going through everything. If the uploads complete, he'll leave their devices alone and instead browse them leisurely on our servers that have been retroactively encrypted by him.
Technomancy wrote:For all levels of this Path, the player must spend a Blood Point and roll Willpower (difficulty of the power's level + 3). A failure indicates that the blood magic doesn't work. A botch indicates that the character loses a permanent Willpower Point.
Willpower 10, Difficulty 8
Encrypt System wrote:The character touches the device or data container he wishes to encrypt. The player rolls normally. The number of successes scored is applied as a difficulty modifier for anyone who attempts to use the protected equipment or access the scrambled information without the assistance of the character. The thaumaturge can dispel the effect at any time by touching the target item; this countermanding costs a point of Willpower.
Telecommute, System wrote:: The player rolls normally and spends a Willpower Point. Telecommute lasts for five minutes per success rolled, and may be extended by 10 minutes with the expenditure of another Willpower Point. The number of successes indicates the maximum range that the character can project her consciousness away from her body.

Successes Effect
1 25 miles.
2 250 miles.
3 1,000 miles.
4 5,000 miles.
5 Anywhere in the world, including telecommunication satellites.
Possibly relevant stats:
Intelligence 5 (Analytical Problem Solver)
Perception 3

Intuition 3
Computer 5 (Data Retrieval)
Security 3
Investigation 3
Enigmas 3
Cryptography 1

Meticulous Planner: You may substitute Intelligence for Wits in any situation where your dedication may prevent you from being caught flat-footed or unprepared
Higher Purpose (Finding out what's really going on): You gain +2 dice on any roll that has something to do with this higher purpose.
Lightning Calculator: You have a natural affinity with numbers and a talent for mental arithmetic, making you a natural when working with computers or betting at the racetracks. All relevant rolls gain +2 dice.
Eidetic Memory (In case something goes wrong and I get booted out before the files
Computer aptitude: All rolls involving computers are at -2 difficulty for you.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

(Stan would have shared his distrust of Tibiru well before this evening's meeting. Not only was he traumatized from his childhood as a Tzimisce revenant, he worked for the Soviet government during the genesis of Vor culture. At a minimum he would assume any affairs Tibiru has in the city are criminal in nature. Perhaps it should be local law that any sizable activity, especially when illegal, needs to be explicitly laid out before the court as a security measure. If it's a law of Elysium then Stan himself could call Tibiru out.)
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Tibiru awaits patiently for the prince's answer to his request.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Max waits a few beats before speaking: "I do not expect Tibiru to lay bare his every ambition in present company, but I do feel that it is only fair that we receive an explanation as to why so weighty a gift as the Embrace is a necessity in this case before giving our blessing. It is a weighty matter and one that I prefer we table so that our other guests may be properly addressed before we grapple with it."
Last edited by Whipstitch on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Ancient History
Serious Badass

[Note: Asking for permission from the prince or elders before siring a childe is one of the Traditions.]
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

OOC:
I think Whipstitch meant Max wants Tibiru to explain why he needs to embrace this guy in our city. Why isn't his being a ghoul cutting it?
Ia pulls his cellphone from his pocket and looks at the screen. Having already given his advice to Suzanne on this particular matter he bows slightly and limps out of the room. He takes the time to peruse the information in detail [Int 4 (Analyzing)+Occult 5] to see if there's anything Seth may have missed about it. Once that's done he'll re-enter the room quietly to stand back in the same place near Suzanne.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The Prince makes no sign of the telepathic communication sent to her - no tilting of the head or apparently listening to something else. But she does take the information on board.

"Assuming your childe-to-be understands all laws of the Camarilla and will uphold them, and consents to the process, there is nothing inherently wrong with this. As long as you do not use this to undermine the law of the herd and disrupt activities with criminal actions, it would also be safe - we are not at a peak population by any stretch. You are aware that his failings will fall upon your head, so is Andrew aware of all rules that must be upheld, and the consequences for failure?"

She waits for an answer, but is fairly sure what it is. Nobody is going to just shove a new ghoul in with no idea and expect things to work out well.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Tibiru bows his head once more. "I shall hold responsibility for the actions of my childe until such a time as I release him, in accordance with the traditions. He will obey your laws, or I will destroy him." Turning to Max, he adds: "As for why - it was his promised reward, for good service. And he will be a valuable member of our sect, managing our real estate and business interests abroad - for we dislike leaving our native soil."
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Stan, still standing in the back of the auditorium, by all appearances receives a text. After checking his phone he exits the space, leaving the question open of whether he chose the door with a squeaky hinge intentionally as an insult to the Tzimisce. Once in private, he calls home to ask his thralls what has been made public about the break in at the Heritage Institute and beef recall.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Stan returns a moment later, looking anxious.

OOC
Stan has something to bring up with the party after the NPCs have been addressed in turn.
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

"There is the issue of hunting stock to consider when talking about allowing new embraces," Kel says, looking up only slightly from where he leans against a wall, "it may just be one new vampire, but the population here is small." He considers a moment, "I'm not necessarily opposed to it out of course, but I do wonder what assets your ghoul would bring to us if we were to allow him to receive the gift of the embrace."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Suzanne wasn't exactly expecting a different response, so there is no real reason beyond "We never trust anyone" to deny the request. As such, she gives a small nod.

"Very well. With all things considered, it seems reasonable to allow you this. You may give the embrace, and the new childe will be your responsibility from this point."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Tibiru nods and expresses his thanks, "For your consideration in this matter, I am in your debt." Then he and Andrew politely take their leave.

Tracker is the next one, shuffling forwards and dipping his head in Suzanne's direction. His eyes are red-rimmed and wide, unblinking, like a bird of prey.

"Winter's endin'." He says. "Need to stay in town a bit. Seven days. With yer leave."

Concise as ever, Tracker.
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

Where would you wish to take up residence? In the event we need to speak with you.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

"That would be marvelous. I could show you around a little. Kingsman is playing at Glacier Cinemas. I hear it's very good. Or if you'd prefer something less crowded, I have Guardians of the Galaxy on DVD."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Suzanne glances at the others.

"This seems acceptable. Have you a place to stay, or do you wish to reside in Elysium itself for the duration?"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"Gotta cabin. Out the road. Be there most nights. Thanks."

He bobs his head as thanks, then turns and sits in the corner, back to the wall. Just...watching.

The stranger, taking that as his cue, walks forward, tapping lightly with his cane before him for obstacles. He sketches a stiff bow in the general direction of Suzanne. "They call me Memphis," he smiles, showing those dull gold incisors, face crinkling in a thousand fine wrinkles. "The night is dying and the sun has caught me unawares, and I beg leave to stay in your demesne for the night."

[It's still 9PM, but Suzanne recognizes this as a very archaic, but formal, request peculiar to the courts of the Iberian peninsula in ancient nights, where visitors to Lasombra courts would invoke such a pretense to request permission to enter a domain as a guest for a period.]
Last edited by Ancient History on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Kel arches a brow slightly as he looks to Suzanne.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Stan decides to go with full-on stink eye while regarding Memphis, yet stays silent, presumably waiting to give stronger countenance to his instinctive misgivings until after the speaker has either left or provided the proverbial noose.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Suzanne glances at the others, looking to see if their expressions say anything. Admittedly, one says more without using voice or expression, so she considers that.

"An unusual choice of words - chosen to acknowledge my court, or the way you normally speak? Well, no matter. The reply hinges on one thing: does trouble follow you? I am aware that you are... not exactly alone, and need to know if you are drawing misfortune towards you."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The smile doesn't move a millimeter. "It has been long since I stood before a Lasombra prince." Memphis says with a slight shrug of the shoulders. "As for the rest - ah, for those that have eyes to see, it is rare to go long in this unlife without a few regrets. Some of you have your own...hangers-on, I am sure. But they are little trouble, and you have no need to fear me." He carefully removes his sunglasses, revealing shrunken lids, which had long ago been sewn shut with cord. "I make my own way. I was in fact quite enjoying a cruise, but an unfortunate stroke of bad luck has left me stranded in your fair city - for a little while. I do not expect to remain more than three days."
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Later, Stan gets Seth's attention before gesture-requesting a brief aside from Suzanne.

"I have news to bring before the court, but I first have a favor that I would ask in private. The police have not released security video of a recent break-in that I wish to see, and I was wondering if you could be persuaded to make a phone call to that end." Specifics are relayed, with Seth potentially included. Stan then steps back to address everyone.

"Federal inspectors have found bovine encephalitis in some packages of meat, prompting a recall. Our contacts at Panhandle Dairy have received notice that some of their product is affected by the recall. We will soon have a copy of the inspection report, so as to isolate the source. I would remind everyone that our facility is an unlikely culprit. If it is found to not be the case, then this is almost certainly the dereliction of a single farmer under contract with our cut-and-wrap facility, and is a result of neither PhD's in-house dairy cattle turnover nor veal production. Regardless, beef processing is at least temporarily suspended. The financial implications for such are modest, provided we both aren't forced to assume any liability, and can keep that deviant Johnson in the House Finance Committee under our thumb."
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

At Verge after Tracker ignores him: "I could do with either of those if nothing strange happens tonight. I was planning on binging through the MCU anyway before Age of Ultron comes out."

Seth nods after Stan mentions the break in.

"I'll see what I can find."

He tries to telecommute to the Police Station's computers (It's definitely less than 25 miles away so range isn't an issue), and try to obtain the video Stan was talking about.

If this doesn't work (e.g. if the police store it in a computer that isn't even indirectly connected to the internet, or a botch fest), Suzanne could call Lt. Brian Stoat and ask about it.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Verge Seth succeeds in getting a copy of the video from the police computer - apparently they had uploaded it "to the cloud."
Last edited by Ancient History on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Verge succeeds in getting a copy of the video from the police computer - apparently they had uploaded it "to the cloud."
(I'm guessing you meant Seth?)

If Memphis is still here (I'm guessing Nebuchadnezzer time skipped a bit), Seth sends everyone a copy and plays the video in his head. If Memphis has left, Seth shows everyone the video either on his tablet, or if we have a large TV or something, on that.