[Let's Play] Blood Sword I - The Battlepits of Krarth

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Defend.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I regret nothing! Also defend.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yup, defend.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The strategy makes sense, of course, but I suspect we'll be seeing this "everybody defends and let the Enchanter do the heavy lifting" tactics a lot in the future. :tongue:

Echidna moves as fast as the Trickster, so let's hope she doesn't strike the Warrior down before she can act.....

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster defends.

Echidna (randomly chooses to) fight Warrior. Roll = 10 (Miss).

Awareness 6 acts ...

Warrior defends.

Sage holds back (he needs to move close to engage, and he can't defend at the same time, better to wait for the enemy to get to him if his comrades fall or have to retreat. Plus he can preserve END for healing later.).

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt. Roll = 8+5 = 13 (Success!). Damage = 27+7-2 = 32. Echidna has 8 END left!

Quick thinking bonus:

Trickster fights Echidna. Roll = 10 (Miss).

Round 2

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster defends.

Echidna fights Trickster. Roll = 10+1 = 11 (Miss).

Awareness 6 acts ...

Warrior defends.

Sage holds back.

Enchanter prepares another Nemesis Bolt.

Round 3

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster defends.

Echidna fights Trickster. Roll = 12 + 1. (Miss).

Awareness 6 acts ...

Warrior defends.

Sage holds back

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt. Roll = 8+5 (he keeps hitting the exact minimum requirement to succeed, for some reason). Echidna is deep-fried.
Worked like a charm.
You search the darkened temple for the demon-lady's treasure. All you find, under the altar stone, is a small casket containing a sliver of grey-white metal.

Does anyone in the party have an opal medallion? If so, turn to 521. If you do not have a medallion but there is a Sage in the party, turn to 172. Failing either of these, you can take the casket if you wish and then turn to 319.
Kiki and Reed still got theirs.
The voice of your patron speaks from the medallion. He sounds faint, distant. 'Contact is difficult now you have reached the lower level,' he says. 'You have found a sliver of Kalium. If you take it, keep the casket sealed tightly - Kalium is a volatile metal that reacts explosively when moistened.'
Anybody want to take the Kalium, voice out now.
What will you do now? Investigate the inner sanctum of the temple, leave via the exit to the left or take the exit to the right?

Investigate further or not? If not which way out?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'll take the sliver of Sodium Kalium. And keep on investigating; we fought hard enough for the right to do so.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Inner Sanctums are where the good stuff is.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Yeah, check out the inner sanctum.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You enter the inner sanctum. Flickering candles cast a swaying light across the walls. Opposite the entrance, a large circular lens of black glass has been set into the wall like a window. You peer through it, but see only a dark and twisted image of your own face.

Beside the black lens there are two octagonal indentations in the wall.

If you have an octagonal glass prism and would like to use it now, turn to 174. If you have two such prisms and wish to use them, turn to 269. If you either don't have or don't want to use the prisms, you can take the exit to the left (turn to 357) or the exit to the right (turn to 56).
We have both!

Do we want to use them here?

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 10
Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 6
Endurance: 11/11
Damage: 1 Die+1

Items:
1 Sword
2 Chainmail armour (Armour Rating three)
3 Money pouch (15 gold pieces)
4 Opal Medallion
5- 8 Food (eat one for +1 EN after combat)
9 Octagonal glass prism
10 Empty slot.
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 13/13
Damage: 1 Die

Items:
1 Battleaxe
2 Breastplate (Armour Rating one)
3 Food (eat one for +1 EN after combat)
4 Bottle of Chimera Spittle
5-10 Empty slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 7
Damage: 1 Die

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
2 Ringmail armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Sharp Knife
4 Silver of Kalium
5-10 Empty slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 0
Psychic Ability: 14
Damage: 1 Die-1

Items:
1 Sword
2 Silver armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Opal Medallion
4 Golden Snuffbox
5 Octagonal glass prism
6-7 Food (eat one for +1 EN after combat)
8-10 Empty slot
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Blue option FTW.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Use all the prisms.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You insert the prisms into the indentations. As you expected, they fit snugly. As they click into place, a multi-coloured glow suffuses them. There is a soft whining noise throughout the room as the black lens, too, erupts into a reddish glow.

You feel a tingling across your skin. A moment of disorientation and weightlessness . . .

The scene changes. You are now standing on the edge of a desolate plain. Ancient stone henges rear up all across the plain like cracked teeth. On the far side of the plain, against the back wall of the cave, you see an atoll. At its peak is planted the Emblem of Victory for which you have battled your way through all the dangers of the last few hours! Now you can almost feel it in your grasp!
You trudge across the mist-shrouded plain. Small creatures scuttle away as you approach, but you cannot make out their exact shape under the blanket of ground fog. Passing one of the stone monoliths, you make a quick detour to investigate it. The ancient sigils that cover its cracked surface seem alive with mystical power, but it is power that is closed to you. Even the modern magi cannot read these immemorial runes, carved two centuries ago by the True Magi, who were slain in the eruption that destroyed the unholy city of Spyte.

'What do they say, I wonder?' A voice behind you makes you start. You turn to see the black-armoured Warlock who champions Magus Uru. He makes no aggressive move but bows, saying, 'Icon, sometimes called the Ungodly, at your service. I have seen what is ahead, and I believe that if we unite together we stand a chance of reaching the Emblem of Victory. Separately we shall surely fail. I suggest an alliance, which is permitted by the rules of the contest, as you know. We shall have to share the prize, but even a shared prize is more than enough to make us rich ...'

If you agree to join forces with Icon, turn to 17. If you reject his offer of an alliance, turn to 341.
Potential short-term partner? Or a trap?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, this guy is no good (although he is cool). Don't trust anyone who goes by the name "the Ungodly."
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Reject the ungodly, and I of course prep Nemesis Bolt.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

His face contorts in rage. 'So be it, then!' he snarls. 'Your stubborn stupidity will cost you dearly ...' He speaks a word of power, surrounding his body with crackling energy, then races forwards to attack.

Icon the Warlock
Fighting Prowess: 8 Psychic Ability: 8
Awareness: 7 Damage per blow: 2 Dice+2
Armour Rating: 2
Endurance: 28
Note: Icon is immune to the Command [Servile Enthralment] spell.

He has cloaked himself in a spell of Retributive Fire. Anyone who strikes him in close combat - with a sword, for example, but not with an arrow - is burned by this, losing one Endurance point regardless of armour.

If you win, turn to 377.
I have absolutely no idea how you guys are going to approach this combat.... :tongue:
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:I'll take the sliver of Sodium Kalium.
Potassium, actually.

Here's a novel tactic: I defend.
Actually, since the fight isn't yet resolved AND Dame Kiki fights AND it's probably our last battle, I'll change my tactic to:
If it costs 1 Endurance just to attack, I defend. If we only get burned on a successful melee hit, I attack until Icon hits me.
Last edited by Starmaker on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I'll fight normally.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I'll cast-cycle Nemesis Bolt, as I am wont to do.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Starmaker wrote:
Darth Rabbitt wrote:I'll take the sliver of Sodium Kalium.
Potassium, actually.

Here's a novel tactic: I defend.
Damn, wrong alkali metal. Anyhow, I defend too. If I had my bow I'd fire but a certain waterfall got rid of that.

(Actually, that reminds me: who is "the one the Sage fears most?" I assume a revived nemesis of some sort, but I'm rather curious as to what he (or she) is since "evil knight," "evil wizard," and "barbarian" were already taken by the other revived foes.)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:(Actually, that reminds me: who is "the one the Sage fears most?" I assume a revived nemesis of some sort, but I'm rather curious as to what he (or she) is since "evil knight," "evil wizard," and "barbarian" were already taken by the other revived foes.)
A demi-demon-spawn (daughter of a demoness and a mortal man) who has almost the same stats as you, except with +1 damage and no armour.

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster moves adjacent to (left of) Icon.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Icon fights Warrior. Roll = 3. (Hit!) Damage = 6 + 2 - 3 = 5. Warrior has 6 EN left.

Awareness 6 acts ...

Warrior fights Icon. Roll =2 (Hit) Damage = 6+1-2 = 5. Icon has 23 EDN left. Warrior gets burned by Retributive Fire. Damage = 2 Warrior has 4 END left.

Sage defends.

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt. Roll = 6 + 5 = 11. (Success!) Damage = 20+7-2 = 25. Icon is killed.
Kiki's sacrifice helps ensure that Icon is beaten in the very first round!
You deal the death-stroke, but amazingly Icon does not fall! He reaches down, ashen face contorted in pain, and pulls the weapon out of the wound. 'My magic shall sustain me until I have time to heal,' he groans, forcing each word through a snarl of pain. 'But I must retreat to lick my wounds, and so you have prevented me from reaching the Emblem of Victory. Be warned that Icon remembers his foes ...'

Glaring coldly at you as blood trickles from his mouth, he spits the words of power of a spell and transforms himself into a red mist, quickly seeping away across the cave floor. No doubt you will be meeting him again, you think ruefully.

One item he was carrying was not transformed by the Vaporisation spell: a bronze mallet. If you want this, remember to note it down. Glancing towards the atoll, you see no sign of any other parties. Nothing now can stop you winning the contest!
I briefly considered whether I should wait for you guys to vote whether to take the mallet before continuing because:
You approach a remarkable sight. A large basalt platform hangs suspended in the air, apparently unsupported, fifty metres above the cavern floor. On the ground directly underneath it stands a bronze gong.

If you took the bronze mallet that Icon was carrying and wish to use it now, turn to 508. If you would rather head straight for the Emblem of Victory, turn to 238.
....it gets used in the very next section.

Strike the gong or not?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

If the mallet was 100% bad news, Icon wouldn't be carrying it. If it was 100% safe, he wouldn't leave it behind. So I'm guessing it's a high risk / high reward deal possibly leading to asymmetric power gain that's going to pay off nicely over the rest of the game.

Also, I'm plain curious. Strike it.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Yeah, this might be the thing he wanted our help with before his inevitable betrayal. Sound the gong!

Edit: Oh, and shouldn't Kiki have 5 END rather than 4? It looks like the Retributive Fire only deals 1 damage, not 2.
Last edited by Shiritai on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Gong time.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You strike the gong with the mallet. It produces a deep note whose resonance is cut short by a Teleportation spell that conveys you to the basalt platform. A large jewelled sarcophagus occupies the middle of the platform, and in the gloom you can see an old man walking towards you from it. The flickering streams of phosphorescent sewage which leak through the cavern roof show clearly through his ethereal body. Not a living man at all, then. It lifts its ghostly hands - but in a gesture of greeting or of attack ...?

If there is a Sage in the party who wishes to try to Exorcise it, turn to 182. If you want to talk to it, turn to 509.
Does Pepito want to try his hand at Exorcism?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Talk.