D&D 5e has failed

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

windjammer wrote:Thoughts?
5e tabletop D&D had eight full-time employees when they fired two editors in January. Now as we mentioned earlier, the 4th edition PHB had over sixty names on it and the title page reads like fucking movie credits. Eight people is a skeleton crew barely capable of keeping the lights on. Obviously if they intend to put out any product at all they will need to hire temporary people to help do that. Because the brand manager, the editor, the art director, and the line developer are four people - fully half the staff before anyone is even poking a design committee or writing team with a stick. And somebody on staff is managing the web presence and shit. At 8 full time employees they are going to need to turn to mercenaries to get typesetting done, in addition to text and pictorial content.

SKR will literally write D&D content for cat food, and Mike Mearls has made 5th edition all about rehiring his old friends who had gotten fired by WotC for abject failure in the recent future. So the idea that Mike Mearls would attempt to bring SKR into the fold as soon as he had a writing project that needed done for cheap is hardly surprising.

-Username17
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I would guess they are trying to get something done with it at all. They aren't making books so the money that would go for that is being put into advertising maybe?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Negative Zero
NPC

Post by Negative Zero »

virgil wrote:Maybe the Den has earned enough of a reputation that the 5E trolls don't think it's worth wasting their time?
Not a goddamn chance. People don't respect reputations on the internet. If you told a 4rry that the Den was full of mean people who will destroy your argument and hurt your feelings if you try and tell them that 4e isn't a train wreck in progress, they'd get angry and try to prove you wrong. People don't respect a reputation, they take it as a challenge.

My theory is that 5e just never had the hype it needed to create a loyal legion of fanatics. Maybe they should've hired a jumplomancer.
Strung Nether
Journeyman

Post by Strung Nether »

My current group is playing pathfinder, and we mostly stick to tier 3 classes or tier 2. Some of us were thinking about 5th...but it seems like its equally as bad as 4th?

Could someone summarize why its worse, and is it worse than pathfinder?
-Strung
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Take 3.5. Strip out all of the interesting shit players can do, like in 4e. Strip out all of the interesting shit monsters can do, like in 4e except even worse (seriously, the 5e MM is a fucking crime against both god and man). Voila, you have 5e.

Fundamentally, 5e repeats 4e's "no cool things is the path to balance" paradigm, but uses a mechanical structure much closer to 3.5 because "please come back to us! We're sorry!" And it's still not really all that balanced.

If you didn't adopt 4e, there's no real reason to adopt 5e.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

DSM is overselling it somewhat, but 5e is basically a dumbed down 3.X with less options and vague mechanics (and the way they are laid out is an organizational hate crime). It's not quite as mechanically dissociative as 4e was, but if you're playing PF, you're better off sticking with that.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

DSMatticus wrote:Take 3.5. Strip out all of the interesting shit players can do, like in 4e.
I'm sorry, but that's a blatant lie. 5e wizards still get plenty of interesting shit like teleport and animate dead and magic jar and dominate effects and whatnot that were completely removed in 4e.

And 5e fighters/monks/barbarians/paladins are outright more interesting than 3e fighters/monks/barbarians/paladins.

Yes, your 5e wizard can no longer call a better wizard as a standard action. I see that as an advantage, not a problem.

5e monsters may be a bit more "boring", but at least that means removing the problem of the game degenerating into "mass-enslave monsters to abuse their special abilities".
Last edited by maglag on Fri May 08, 2015 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ghremdal
Master

Post by Ghremdal »

Take the worst parts of 3e and the worst parts of 4e, mix in Mearls bullshit propaganda, add some bland internet wisdom from playtesters and you have 5e.

I'm sorry, but that's a blatant lie. 5e wizards still get plenty of interesting shit like teleport and animate dead and magic jar and dominate effects and whatnot that were completely removed in 4e.

And 5e fighters/monks/barbarians/paladins are outright more interesting than 3e fighters/monks/barbarians/paladins.

Yes, your 5e wizard can no longer call a better wizard as a standard action. I see that as an advantage, not a problem.

5e monsters may be a bit more "boring", but at least that means removing the problem of the game degenerating into "mass-enslave monsters to abuse their special abilities"
No, the wizard just goes around invulnerable to normal damage followed by skeletons and eternally bound elementals.

Your argument that its ok to have boring monsters so players won't abuse them? Really?
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

5e necromancers break the fucking game (because animate dead and magic jar and more) and are by far the most interesting characters in 5e, but they are still less interesting than 3.5 necromancers who get all the same shit except in more interesting forms and more of it to boot.

Similarly, dominate person is a concentration spell, which means simply having it up locks you out of a fuckton of spells and it ends if you stub your toe. 4e also had a dominated condition and player effects that would apply it, and it was also boring ass.

If you think the 5e fighter is more interesting than the 3.5 fighter because "instead of being to able trip whenever the fuck they want, now they have to pay superiority dice, and resource management is added complexity" then your definition of interesting is dumb. Not to mention all attacks being full attacks makes tripping kind of ass, and most of the maneuvers are in the same boat.

5e characters have more "things" on their character sheet than 3.5 characters. None of those things do anything interesting. Here is every barbarian feature from 1 to 10 for both editions.

3.5:
1) You get angry, making you more dangerous and more resilient.
1) You move fast.
3) You can't be caught off guard.
4) You are less likely to be hurt by traps.
5) You take less damage reduction.

5e:
2) You can use your con mod instead of armor. You shouldn't, but you can.
3) You hit more and get hit more.
4) You are better at reflex saving throws.
5) You move fast.
6) You are less likely to be caught off guard.
7) You roll an extra weapon die on criticals.
Berserker:
8) You are even more more dangerous when angry.
9) When angry, you can't be charmed or frightened.

You will notice that the second list has all of the things from the first and more. But none of the things the second list adds are fucking interesting. Unless shiny new things make you clap and drool, there is no reason to give a fuck about the differences between the two. This is the sort of reasoning that would lead to declaring that the 4e martials are the most interesting martials ever, because they had lots of things on their character sheet, even though all those things were (from level 1 to level 30) "I hit the dude standing next to me with my sword." There's so many more words! That means they must be more better!

No. 5e martials, exactly like 3.5 martials, don't have anything interesting to do. They're not making interesting choices. They're not using interesting abilities. They're writing more shit on their character sheet, but none of that shit does anything interesting so who cares? In many ways, the replacement of universal combat rules with character-specific actions and the addition of a resource mechanic has made martials less interesting than their 3.5 counterparts. Which is fucking impressive.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Fri May 08, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

It get worse. 3e martials could at least pretend to be badass by going Rambo on a bunch of mooks. 5e martials don't even get that because they get recked by the local militia like everyone else.
Ghremdal
Master

Post by Ghremdal »

It gets even worse then that. Both 3e and 4e had a second progression track aside from XP, the loot. Based on what magic items you had you could totally customize your character. Even if the options were shit compared to wizards, you could still fly, teleport, see invisible stuff, get extra actions etc..

Or do less impressive shit in 4e, but still could do something. The point is that you could use your second progression track to get abilities you want for your character.

In 5e its all gone. Its back to please mr. DM can I suck your cock for those boots of elvenkind that I need to make my character do what he is supposed to.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

5e may have less magic item customization, but multiclassing is a lot more profitable. In particular it's a lot easier for martials to get useful magic with just a level or even a feat. 5e allows characters concepts to work without need of magic items, point.

Even then, there's rules for buying and creating magic items. It's not like the 3e DMG lacked rules for no-magic items campaigns either.

And no, 4e had no magic items granting teleport or long-term flight, and little more than "X bonus to Y with a slightly bigger bonus 1/day".
DSMatticus wrote:5e necromancers break the fucking game (because animate dead and magic jar and more) and are by far the most interesting characters in 5e, but they are still less interesting than 3.5 necromancers who get all the same shit except in more interesting forms and more of it to boot.
Magic jar and other necromancy spells would break the game a lot more in 3e.

So, by "interesting", do you actually mean "completely broken"? Heck, what exactly do you expect of the game? If you aren't controling an ever-growing army of explosive super-skeletons while possessing a Solar, then you aren't "interesting" enough? How do your game sessions hold up?

DSMatticus wrote: If you think the 5e fighter is more interesting than the 3.5 fighter because "instead of being to able trip whenever the fuck they want, now they have to pay superiority dice, and resource management is added complexity" then your definition of interesting is dumb. Not to mention all attacks being full attacks makes tripping kind of ass, and most of the maneuvers are in the same boat.

5e characters have more "things" on their character sheet than 3.5 characters. None of those things do anything interesting. Here is every barbarian feature from 1 to 10 for both editions.

3.5:
1) You move fast.
3) You can't be caught off guard.
4) You are less likely to be hurt by traps.
5) You take less damage reduction.

5e:
2) You can use your con mod instead of armor. You shouldn't, but you can.
3) You hit more and get hit more.
4) You are better at reflex saving throws.
5) You move fast.
6) You are less likely to be caught off guard.
7) You roll an extra weapon die on criticals.
Berserker:
8) You are even more more dangerous when angry.
9) When angry, you can't be charmed or frightened.

You will notice that the second list has all of the things from the first and more. But none of the things the second list adds are fucking interesting. Unless shiny new things make you clap and drool, there is no reason to give a fuck about the differences between the two. This is the sort of reasoning that would lead to declaring that the 4e martials are the most interesting martials ever, because they had lots of things on their character sheet, even though all those things were (from level 1 to level 30) "I hit the dude standing next to me with my sword." There's so many more words! That means they must be more better!
Great job on completely ignoring the other 5e barbarian options, like picking up the eagle totem and gaining bonus dash actions, super-vision and non-magical flight.
DSMatticus wrote: No. 5e martials, exactly like 3.5 martials, don't have anything interesting to do. They're not making interesting choices. They're not using interesting abilities. They're writing more shit on their character sheet, but none of that shit does anything interesting so who cares? In many ways, the replacement of universal combat rules with character-specific actions and the addition of a resource mechanic has made martials less interesting than their 3.5 counterparts. Which is fucking impressive.
That's self-contradictory. You find broken spells "interesting". But they're "interesting" because they allow the mages to replace universal combat rules with character-specific options (You have one set of actions per turn, I have a zillion on them because spells and magic minions and I'm also immune to mundane damage sucks to be you).

Mages will always shit on martials as long as martials are forced to play by the universal combat rules and mages aren't.
Last edited by maglag on Fri May 08, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Strung Nether
Journeyman

Post by Strung Nether »

maglag wrote:Things
I think by interesting he is referring to something like this:

Gunslinger 1 Alchemist 2 Fighter X. Take musket master and trench fighter archetype. Take the vestigial arm discovery and the extra discovery feat for a second vestigial arm. Dual wield double-barreled muskets.

Yes, it can only deal HP damage, but no, it is not boring.
-Strung
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

5E has some fairly interesting spells. Not as good as 3E (overall; some individual spells are better), but better than 4E. Non-casters are pretty much fucked though; I think they're worse off than in 4E.

Also - magic items - there are less, and the process to get them is more DM fiat based. Which makes non-casters worse off than 3E, even where they have the same degree of class abilities.
Last edited by Ice9 on Fri May 08, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

maglag wrote:5e may have less magic item customization, but multiclassing is a lot more profitable. In particular it's a lot easier for martials to get useful magic with just a level or even a feat. 5e allows characters concepts to work without need of magic items, point.
One of the printed items is a +2 sword that does 2d6 extra damage. It's a sentient evil sword, so your DM is supposed to fuck with you until you give up on using it, but that weapon is more powerful than almost any build decision a martial character might make.

Multiclassing as a caster is still kind of stupid. You use your class level, not your character level, to determine the highest level of spell you can cast. Not getting the highest level of spell as quickly as possible is painful as fuck, just like it was in 3.5.

Multiclassing as a martial is basically mandatory. The classes are incredibly front-loaded. So you hit level 5 or level 6 (extra attack, maybe an ability score improvement) and leave to start another incredibly front-loaded martial class and grab its core features.
maglag wrote:So, by "interesting", do you actually mean "completely broken"?
So, by [words you actually said], do you actually mean "I am a stupid strawmanning assface?"

Here, let me walk you through this slowly. If the 5e necromancer is the most interesting 5e character (it is, in that they are the only ones who ever gets to be more than a protagonist in a particularly boring Conan book), and the 5e necromancer is less interesting than the 3.5 necromancer, then that doesn't bode well for "5e characters get plenty of interesting things!", does it?

By interesting, I mean capable of doing interesting things. The only thing that makes magic jar worthwhile is the fact that you can grab "immune to peasant archer militia." Say "immune to peasant archer militia" out loud. Grab your character sheet and write "immune to peasant archer militia" on it. Are you fucking excited yet?

Animate dead gives you a pile of human skeletons, human zombies, or the ability to beg your DM for something else. That is obviously less interesting than being able to grab increasingly powerful skeletons/zombies as you level up, and the only reason anyone cares about animate dead at all is because bounded accuracy means piles of skeleton archers never stop being a threat.
maglag wrote:Great job on completely ignoring the other 5e barbarian options, like picking up the eagle totem and gaining bonus dash actions, super-vision and non-magical flight.
Good job on trading actual combat power at level 3 for the ability to fly at level 14. Also notice that you can only fly when you're raging, your fly speed is only equal to your movement speed, and your rage ends if you fail to deal or take damage for a turn. If your DM is playing a flying ranged attacker intelligently, odds are good this ability will not help you. If your DM is playing a flying ranged attacker like an idiot (like he needs to to keep melee beatsticks mattering), then this ability will not help you. Too fucking little too fucking late.

Also notice I said level 1-10, at which point your eagle totem has only given you dash as a bonus action (and enemies have disadvantage on opportunity attacks) and a fluff "see very far" ability (and no disadvantage on perception checks in dim light). Notice that the fluff "see very far" ability has no actual mechanical benefits listed, and the rules (DMG) already tell the DM that the players can see two miles away on a clear day. Your "super-vision" is one mile.
Maglag wrote:That's self-contradictory. You find broken spells "interesting". But they're "interesting" because they allow the mages to replace universal combat rules with character-specific options (You have one set of actions per turn, I have a zillion on them because spells and magic minions and I'm also immune to mundane damage sucks to be you).

Mages will always shit on martials as long as martials are forced to play by the universal combat rules and mages aren't.
"3.5 martials are more interesting than 5e martials because they have access to at-will abilities in the universal combat rules while only SOME of the 5e martials have access to arguably inferior character-specific abilities."

"3.5 casters are more interesting than 3.5 martials because 3.5 casters get access to character-specific abilities that are more interesting than the abilities in the universal combat abilities that 3.5 martials have access to."

"I'm maglag, and I think the above two sentences are contradictions because I am a professional idiot."

3.5 martials are not boring because they don't get planar binding, and planar binding is broken, and broken things are interesting. 3.5 martials are boring because, like 5e martials, they don't get to make interesting decisions or take actions with interesting effects.

3.5 casters are not interesting because they get planar binding, and planar binding is broken, and broken things are interesting. 3.5 casters are interesting because they get to make meaningful decisions between lots of different abilities and take actions that do meaningful things both in and out of combat. Some of those actions are genuinely game-breaking, and that's bad. Some (most) of those actions are aligned with a way different balance point than the balance point martials are aligned with. And that's bad, but can be fixed by giving fighters nice things.

It's not difficult. Stop making it difficult.

EDIT: If you want me to be perfectly clear, 5e casters obviously have it better than 4e casters, which says... almost nothing. 5e's approach was to keep the 3.5 iconics (to avoid pissing people off by simply not printing them, like they did with 4e), but nerfbat the fuck out of their scope with the concentration mechanic and other tricks (so you can't really use them to shake up the game and it keeps being the adventures of the Conan Crew for 20 levels). It's pretty fucking bad, and the 4e thought process is palpable, even if a few spells survived the nerfbatification (and as a result many are relatively even more broken than they were in 3.5).

Meanwhile, the 5e MM is absolutely 4e-tier ass. A balor is nothing but melee attacks. It's seriously a giant beatstick. At least the pitfiend has some ranged AoE and can potentially say something other than "I hit it with my sword," but its single non-combat ability is detect magic and its single non-damaging combat ability is hold monster. You're never going to have an interesting encounter with that shit that you could not have also had with a bunch of kobolds at level 1, whether it's a combat encounter or a social encounter or anything else. 90% of it's just bigger numbers, all the way to the top, exactly like 4e.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Fri May 08, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Windjammer
Master

Post by Windjammer »

FrankTrollman wrote:
windjammer wrote:Thoughts?
5e tabletop D&D had eight full-time employees when they fired two editors in January. Now as we mentioned earlier, the 4th edition PHB had over sixty names on it and the title page reads like fucking movie credits. Eight people is a skeleton crew barely capable of keeping the lights on. Obviously if they intend to put out any product at all they will need to hire temporary people to help do that. Because the brand manager, the editor, the art director, and the line developer are four people - fully half the staff before anyone is even poking a design committee or writing team with a stick. And somebody on staff is managing the web presence and shit. At 8 full time employees they are going to need to turn to mercenaries to get typesetting done, in addition to text and pictorial content.
Good catch on the January firings. I had forgotten those. Obviously hiring one person back is not a strong sign of growth, it's just partial recovery - over and above the fact that 'full recovery' or even 'half recovery' would require 30-52 people getting hired back. Puts it in perspective. Thanks.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

Paizo is the bigger game company than Dungeons and Dragons as a portion of WOTC that is a subsidiary of HASBRO, who clearly has no fucks to give about pen and paper roleplaying games after the Pathfinder and 4E fiasco.

Paizo has about 40 people on full time. They've got 4 to 5 times as many writers as WOTC now. They don't have to farm things out to Green Ronin because they've literally only got 3 or 4 people who write crunch for the game. WOTC has 8 people and 4 of them are not mechanics authors. If they were any more barebones, a 5E necromancer would cast Animate Dead on Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax and they'd be banging out books on a typewriter they gotta share.

Edit: 5E probably doesn't even have a release schedule because they've got almost no capability to create and release anything without pinch hitters, fired friends and scab labor. 4E had failed ambitions, 5E has no ambitions apart from "Don't get fired during Easter or Christmas."
Last edited by Insomniac on Fri May 08, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smeelbo
Apprentice

D&D 5E not worth the time to learn

Post by Smeelbo »

Windjammer wrote:I have nothing but scorn for this iteration of the game - it is literally the only edition I'll never own a single element of...
I've been playing D&D since the summer of '75, and I will never own a single book of 5E. I won't run it for the store, even if they offer to pay me, because I would not waste any neurons on-loading that pile crap onto my brain.

We sell hardly any 5E, but continue to sell PathFinder like hotcakes. I'd like to say we have no repeat business on 5E, but that's impossible to tell, because there is pretty much no product beyond the core books.

Smeelbo
Abuser of BBCodes
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

I don't know if anyone's said, but they did quietly announce their publishing schedule.

They're going to farm out 3-book module series, two sets per year, and keep doing that through late 2018. Like Pathfinder APs, but 3rd party and bigger modules published less often.

There's zero splats, no hardcovers, nothing. The writers at Wizards are putting out those player's guide things for the modules, a few random free web articles, which they seem to intend to turn into a Dragon magazine to sell it instead by hiring a developer.

This all seems to have been the game plan since Essentials scraped it's way into the world and Mike Mearls announced he didn't have a clue what people wanted any more.

I don't know what they'd have done if 5e sold hundreds of thousands of copies like 4e, or millions like 3e, but it's barely selling tens of thousands and the plan as it stands seems to be to hide in a corner and feel sad. At this rate, 6e will hit in 2019 with mere thousands of sales.

By way of comparison, Pathfinder is releasing 1 AP and a support product loosely tied to it each month, plus a campaign setting splat, plus a standalone module, then a big hardcover every 3 months. Hardcore fans have better than $1000/year of goods to spend money on, and are spending it. The less hardcore can get all the crunch for free on the net so don't get left in the dirt, but buy stuff for the pretty pictures and fluff anyway.

D&D5 is $150 of product for the next four years. They're not intending to compete.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

Is that really the release schedule or just fan speculation? Because I cannot find a time table going even into 2016 on the website, much less 2018.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Insomniac wrote:Is that really the release schedule or just fan speculation? Because I cannot find a time table going even into 2016 on the website, much less 2018.
There's an interview with Mearls.

Literally none of it is in any way interesting except for this bit:
14. How often can we expect to see a story line like Tyranny of Dragons? Once a year? Twice a year?

We're looking at two storylines a year. Right now, we have plans laid down for stories up through 2018.
Certainly seems possible that that's all there is. Tyranny of Dragons for 2014, Elemental Evil and Rage of Demons for the entire year of 2015. And um... that's it. If you go to the Products Page, there isn't anything else listed. The "Tabletop Products" area is so bare that they direct you to ports of videogames for previous editions to tablets. There's nothing. The "D&D tabletop" section has more 4e inspired board games than it has books. It's not even pimping the PHB.

This edition is already dead.

-Username17
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

They're advertising the video games harder than the tabletop edition.

Did we even get those modules Mearls promised?
Last edited by CapnTthePirateG on Sat May 09, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

Wow. Two adventure style books released when Paizo does APs monthly and has a years long backlog of them. They aren't even writing the freaking adventures themselves! How in the world do they think that is competitive?
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:They're advertising the video games harder than the tabletop edition.

Did we even get those modules Mearls promised?
Most people seem to have forgotten about them. Whenever I mention them to people talking about 5E I get blank stares or them saying they'd never heard of it.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
fearsomepirate
1st Level

Post by fearsomepirate »

Good job on trading actual combat power at level 3 for the ability to fly at level 14.
The Eagle Totem gives you the ability to Dash as a bonus action plus make enemies take disadvantage on OAs at Level 3. This seems like a useful ability. Also, the Berserker path has the Exhaustion penalty, which increases rapidly in severity.
. Also notice that you can only fly when you're raging, your fly speed is only equal to your movement speed, and your rage ends if you fail to deal or take damage for a turn.
No, your rage only ends if you fail to *attack* for a turn. With up to 80 feet of movement, that's unlikely to happen often for an Eagle Totem Barbarian. Also, at level 15, this requirement is dropped.
If your DM is playing a flying ranged attacker intelligently, odds are good this ability will not help you.
With a longbow, the Level 14+ Eagle Totem Barbarian can potentially hit anything up to 640 feet in the air.

A more plausible scenario for this skill not mattering is if your DM always has the party in cramped spaces. If there are never any balconies, ledges, or chasms, this ability would be useless. If your DM is boring and uncreative, this would be a bad path to choose.