[Let's Play] Blood Sword II - The Kingdom of Wyrd

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'm down with that plan.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Starmaker wrote:Sheet Lightning, Defend, pour salve on Reed?
I checked, it's explicitly stated that the salve can't be used during combat.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Ok, plan B: write a will.

Seriously, though, if it focus-fires, we're dead - but if it does, it'll be sorta-unfair.
Benedict will be doing something that'll help Reed last more, with his own survival as second priority. So if tentacles attack absolutely lolrandomly, he'll Defend, if they preferentially attack the closest characters, he'll move to shield Reed and Defend, if they avoid targeting Defenders, he'll attack.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

That's.... significantly more threatening than Ultros. Yikes, wish I had prepped two Sheet Lightnings instead, but even with that it would be iffy. If the consensus is to focus on defense, I'll cast Sheet Lightning, then prep another Sheet Lightning and cast it. Otherwise I'll Sheet Lightning, Nemesis Bolt the highest END, and then prep and cast Sheet Lightning.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

No defending for Kiki. She's going to do her best to finish off tentacles that survive the lightning.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Shiritai wrote:Yikes, wish I had prepped two Sheet Lightnings instead, but even with that it would be iffy.
The way I interpret the rules....I don't think you can stack the same spell in your mind multiple times like that, anyway. The same spell needs to be recalled before you can cast it a second time.

Also, I made a small error when calculating the healing....the party was missing 14 END in total, and the healing gives back 16....but the Sage also spent 4 in the process of the healing, so the end result is that we're short of 2 END. Everyone is now at full END besides Benedict, who's at 17/19.

Benedict can position himself so that he attracts the attention of some of the tentacles closest to Reed (I'll have tentacles go for the nearest targets), but he won't be able to attract all of them, since Reed is near to 3 of them at once. I will position him between the 2 tentacles in the northeast so that he attracts them and can hit the one of them with his Bonus move). The remaining one has a 50/50 chance of going for Enchanter or Sage.

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster Moves and positions himself between Tentacles #2 and #3.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Enchanter attempts to cast Sheet Lightning. Roll = 7+4 = 11. (Success!) Tentacle #1 takes 5+2-2 = 5 damage and has 6 EN left. Tentacle #2 takes 4 damage and has 7 END left. Tentacle #3 takes 7 damage and has 4 END left. Tentacle #4 takes 6 damage and has 5 END left. Tentacle #5 takes 3 damage and has 8 END left. Tentacle #6 takes 4 damage and has 7 END left. Tentacle #7 takes 7 damage and has 4 END left. Tentacle #8 takes 8 damage and has 3 END left.

Tentacle #1 fights Warrior. Roll = 7. (Hit!) Damage = 10-3-1 = 6. Warrior has 11 END left.

Tentacle #2 fights Trickster. Roll = 4+1 =5. (Hit!) Damage = 7-2 = 5. Trickster has 12 EN left.

Tentacle #3 fights Trickster. Roll = 8+1 =9. (Miss!)

Tentacle #4 fights Warrior. Roll = 10. (Miss)

Tentacle #5 fights Enchanter. Roll = 6. (Hit!) Damage = 11 - 2 = 9. Enchanter has 7 END left.

Tentacle #6 fights Warrior. Roll = 10. (Miss)

Tentacle #7 fights Sage. Roll = 4. (Hit!) Damage = 5-1 = 4. Sage has 12 EN left.

Tentacle #8 fights Sage. Roll = 7. (Hits!) Damage = 7-1 = 6. Sage has 6 END left.

Awareness 6 acts ...

Warrior moves adjacent to Tentacles #1 and #2 (close in to attack while also drawing them away from Sage and Enchanter in the process).

Sage Defends.

Quick Thinking bonus:

Trickster fights Tentacle #3. Roll = 6. (Hits) Damage = 6+1-2 =5. Tentacle #3 is destroyed.

Round 2

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster Defends.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt (targeting #5, with the highest END). Roll = 9 + 5 = 14. (Success!) Tentacle #5 is destroyed.

Tentacle #1 fights Warrior. Roll = 7. (Hit!) Damage = 12-4 = 8. Warrior has 3 END left!

Tentacle #2 fights Warrior. Roll = 9. (Miss)

Tentacle #4 fights Sage. Roll = 4 (on 3D6!). (Hits!) Damage = 7-2 = 5. Sage has 1 END left!

Tentacle #5 fights Sage. Roll = 12. Miss.

Tentacle #6 fights Sage. Roll = 9. Miss.

Tentacle #7 fights Sage. Roll = 6. (Hit!) Damage = 11 - 2 = 9. Sage is killed!

Tentacle #8 fights Enchanter (now the nearest target with the Sage down). Roll = 6. (Hit!) Damage = 3 - 2 = 1. Enchanter has 6 EN left.

Awareness 6 acts ...

Warrior Tentacle #1. Roll = 4. (Hit!) Damage = 5+2-2 = 5. Tentacle #1 has 1 END left.

Round 3

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster Moves to the south of Enchanter (without the Sage, Enchanter needs a new meatshield to the south).

Awareness 7 acts ...

Enchanter prepares Sheet Lightning.

Tentacle #1 fights Warrior. Roll = 8. (Miss)

Tentacle #2 fights Warrior. Roll = 6. (Hits) Damage = 8-4 = 4. Warrior is killed.

Tentacle #4 fights Trickster. Roll = 9+1 = 10. (Miss)

Tentacle #6 fights Trickster. Roll = 8+1. Miss.

Tentacle #7 fights Trickster. Roll = 7+1. Miss.

Tentacle #8 fights Trickster. Roll = 3+1 = 4. (Hits) Damage = 8-2 = 6. Trickster has 6 EN left.

Round 4

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster Defends.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Enchanter attempts to cast Sheet Lightning. Roll = 8+4 = 12. (Success!) Tentacle #1 takes 11 damage and is destroyed. Tentacle #2 takes 6 damage and has 1 END left. Tentacle #4 takes 11 damage and is destroyed. Tentacle #6 takes 5 damage and has 2 END left. Tentacle #7 takes 5 damage and is destroyed. Tentacle #8 takes 9 damage and is destroyed.

Tentacle #1 fights Enchanter. Roll = 11. (Miss)

Tentacle #2 fights Enchanter. Roll = 4. (Hits) Damage = 10-2 = 8. Enchanter is killed!

Tentacle #4 fights Trickster. Roll = 8+1 = 9. (Miss)

Tentacle #6 fights Trickster. Roll = 13+1 = 14. (Miss).

Tentacle #7 fights Trickster. Roll = 8+1 = 9. (Miss)

Tentacle #8 fights Trickster. Roll = 9+1 = 10. (Miss)
We took out 6 tentacles! But we also lost half the party everyone besides the Trickster! he Enchanter is downed even as he destroys most of the enemy.
A bubbling roar echoes through the ice. The monster has had enough. Spilling greasy black blood from numerous wounds, it pulls its remaining appendages back into the water. Under the sheet of ice on which you are standing, you see the eye blink once, inscrutably, then sink into the depths.

You walk on through the deepening shadows of night to the coast.
Pausing here for you guys to re-distribute the Equipment (unless you guys prefer to re-do the fight with different strategy? Or backtrack to another route earlier? Or retcon that we took the Orb of Fire instead?)

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR: - DECEASED
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 10
Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 6
Endurance: 0/17
Damage: 1 Die+2

Items:
1 Sword
2 Chainmail armour (Armour Rating three)
3 Money pouch (94 gold pieces)
4 Gloves
5 Blood Sword Scabbard
6 Healing Salve (5 applications, restores 1 Die of END each)
7 Shielding Charm (+1 AR)
8 Silver crucifix (with finger-bone of St Ashanax)
9 Fur Cloak
10 Bedroll
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 7
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 6/19
Damage: 1 Die+1

Items:
1 Sword
2 Ringmail armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Pouch of Tahac
4 Fur Cloak
5 Gloves
6 Bedroll
7 Harp
8 Silver Wolf's head clasp
9-10 Empty slot
*11 Screebo the Raven
SAGE: - DECEASED
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Psychic Ability: 7
Endurance: 0/16

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
2 Breastplate (Armour Rating one)
3 Fur Cloak
4 Bedroll
5 Magic Bow (Damage 1 Die+1)
6 Quiver (3 arrows)
7 Chequers board and pieces
8 Blue Crystal Eyes
9 Clay Pipe
10 Gloves
ENCHANTER: - DECEASED
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 0
Psychic Ability: 15 (+1 from Ring of Sorcery)
Awareness: 7
Endurance: 0/16
Damage: 1 Die

Items:
1 Brazier
2 Silver armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Bedroll
4 Golden Snuffbox
5 Fur Cloak
6 Money pouch (84 gold pieces)
7 Ring of Sorcery (+1 PA)
8-9 Iron Rations (11 days)
10 Gloves
Last edited by SGamerz on Wed May 27, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Shouldn't the tentacles still get a turn, in their death throes?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Mr Shine wrote:Shouldn't the tentacles still get a turn, in their death throes?
Unfortunately....yes.

I've updated the Combat Log. Only the Trickster survives the fight.

So, how do you guys want to continue this? (or not)
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I suggest we get a lift from Mr. Purple Cloak. That'll steal the moment of awesome from Kiki, but she'll keep the plussed sword and Reed will keep the stat increase.

Oh, and dibs on the cloak when we kill the fucker on dry land.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'm personally curious as to what would've happened if we tried to run. Would it have just killed us anyways?

That being said, riding the magic carpet sounds like the best plan. Maybe we can push the wizard off and keep it.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:I'm personally curious as to what would've happened if we tried to run. Would it have just killed us anyways?
Not an auto-death, but it would have dealt damage to us and forced us into combat anyway. Stand and fight was definitely the best of a bunch of bad options in our circumstances.

Rewinding back to the carpet rider....
The man, who introduces himself as Augustus of Vantery, touches a white stone that hangs at his throat and the carpet descends to the deck. While the sailors stare in blank astonishment, you gather your belongings and bid farewell to the captain. 'May the Saviour and His Holy Mother watch over you,' he calls as you climb on to Augustus's carpet.

'And over all of you,' you reply as the carpet rises into the air. With incredible speed it sweeps up away from the ship, until you can barely see the sail as a sliver of white against the blue-grey sea far below.
You are flying a thousand metres above the sea. The fishing boats are no bigger than tiny specks. 'Instead of the days you would normally have spent travelling to Wyrd,' Augustus says, 'you will now reach your destination in a matter of hours.' He shouts exultantly as the fierce wind whips his cloak out behind him and you shoot over the sea at ever increasing speed. You huddle down as low as you can. Despite the excitement of your flight you are chilled to the marrow by the wind. Soon you can see a white blaze of light shining from the ice-pack that covers the northern ocean. To the west you can make out the thin grey line of the coast. Now you can see huge icebergs drifting in the water and you look down in amazement at the azure sea. Augustus mutters something and touches his white stone amulet. The carpet begins to veer sharply to the east.

Do you want to complain about this sudden change in direction? If so, turn to 16. If you would rather ignore it, turn to 65.
I will post the updated Adventure Sheets later after I've had the time to check (I know I've been rather sloppy with proofreading and calculations, sorry).
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

"Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?"
(I vote for complaining)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Complain to Augustus, and ready to push him off the carpet if needed.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Complain to Augustus, and ready to push him off the carpet if needed.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

'Please be quiet,' says Augustus. 'It is difficult to control the carpet with your whining protestations!' You are surprised at Augustus's angry response; only a few moments ago he was doing his best to be charming, but now a savage smile plays on his lips and he stares fervently ahead of him. 'If you wish to know whither we are bound, I have merely turned the carpet towards my castle where I hope to pick up some supplies,' he tells you after you have complained again.

If you object to going to his castle, turn to 536. If you agree to go to his castle, turn to 65.
Complain some more?

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 11 (+1 from Enchanted Sword)
Endurance: 17/17
Damage: 1 Die+2

Items:
1 Enchanted Sword (+1 FP)
2 Chainmail armour (Armour Rating three)
3 Money pouch (98 gold pieces)
4 Iron Rations
5 Blood Sword Scabbard
6 Healing Salve (5 applications, restores 1 Die of END each)
7 Shielding Charm (+1 AR)
8 Silver crucifix (with finger-bone of St Ashanax)
9 Fur Cloak
10 Bedroll
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Awareness: 8
Endurance: 19/19

Items:
1 Sword
2 Ringmail armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Pouch of Tahac
4 Iron rations (7 days)
5 Gloves
6 Bedroll
7 Harp
8 Silver Wolf's head clasp
9 Fur Cloak
10 Empty slot
*11 Screebo the Raven
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Psychic Ability: 7
Endurance: 16/16

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
2 Breastplate (Armour Rating one)
3 Fur Cloak
4 Bedroll
5 Magic Bow (Damage 1 Die+1)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Chequers board and pieces
8 Blue Crystal Eyes
9 Clay Pipe
10 Gloves
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 0
Psychic Ability: 15 (+1 from Ring of Sorcery)
Awareness: 7
Endurance: 16/16
Damage: 1 Die

Items:
1 Brazier
2 Silver armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Bedroll
4 Golden Snuffbox
5 Fur Cloak
6 Money pouch (88 gold pieces)
7 Ring of Sorcery (+1 PA)
8-10 Iron rations (21 days)
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Oh what a dick. Agree to go, just because that's where the phat loot is.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agree to go and stab him once we get there.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Time passes and you watch the frozen seascape slide majestically past far below. Hearing Augustus mutter something under his breath, you look down to see a massive rime-encrusted pinnacle of rock which projects up from the frozen surface of the sea. Atop it, its white spires dazzlingly reflecting the sunlight, stands a castle. The carpet begins to descend towards this, and as you near it the brilliant reflection from its walls becomes almost blinding.

Augustus turns to you. 'Enough foolery. It is time for me to explain matters to you. I serve the True Magus Uru, who has attained godhood as White Light. The jewelled scabbard you bear is his, and you must now hand it over to me. If you refuse ...' He lets his voice trail off as he glances significantly down to the pack-ice below.

If you part with the scabbard as he demands, turn to 419. If you refuse, turn to 504.
I don't think a vote is necessary here.....
'You treacherous dog!' you snarl at Augustus. 'The likes of you will never have the Blood Sword's scabbard.'

Augustus smiles thinly at you, letting the arm that was extended towards you to receive the scabbard fall back to his side. 'Very well,' he says. 'We will land at my castle yonder, where my minions will perform interesting experiments upon you while I rejoice in my master's acquisition of the scabbard.'

Are you going to let him land at the castle? If so, turn to 208. If you want to fight him now, turn to 536.
How should we treat our host? Try to murder him when we're in his house? Or try to spill blood on his fine carpet?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Let him (and us!) land, but wait on Reed to prep spells.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I kind of want to try to knock this asshole off of his carpet to his doom. But it's probably best to wait until we reach land.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Killing the pilot is a bad idea. And while the castle has minion reinforcements for him, it probably also has the good loot. Wait.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Atop it, its white spires dazzlingly reflecting the sunlight, stands a castle. The carpet begins to descend towards this, and as you near it the brilliant reflection from its walls becomes almost blinding.
I say fight him now; we're right over land, and he's probably tied up driving this thing. I'll also prep Nemesis Bolt and Sheet Lightning.

Edit: And really, worse comes to worse, I'm sure Pepito or I could manage something to soften the fall.
Last edited by Shiritai on Thu May 28, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I waited a bit to see if rest of you will be swayed by Shiritai's vote, since Darth seems to like that idea too, but I guess waiting wins out....
The flying carpet descends gracefully through the icy air and touches down on the parapet of the white tower.

Augustus smiles broadly. 'Here we are at my abode,' he declares, clapping his hands together. Four squat demonic servitors tumble hastily out on to the parapet in answer to his summons.

You glance over the edge of the parapet. It is still a long way to the ground from here.

'Your last chance,' says Augustus. He is no longer smiling. 'Hand over the scabbard of your own free will, or I shall command my servitors to take it by force of arms.' The demonic creatures grin toothily and pull daggers from their greasy jerkins.

If you give Augustus the scabbard, turn to 419. If you make ready to fight his servitors, turn to 76.
.....which part of "NO!" do you not understand? How many more times are you going to ask this?

Augustus takes a step back when he sees your look of defiant fury. He is more used to dealing with people whom he can cow with his sorcery. He glances at the servitors, then frantically waves them forwards to attack.

Demon Servitors
Fighting Prowess: 8 Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 5 Damage per blow: 1 Die+1
Armour Rating: 1
Endurance: 8

Here in Augustus's isolated tower you really have nowhere to flee. If you kill his servitors, turn to 26.
Hey, refreshingly slow and weak opponents, for once!

Strategies? (although I don't think you need to get very creative for this fight....besides, the environment kind of limits what you can do)
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I fight.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I do appreciate enemies who courteously wait in line. As I'm boxed in, I will stab the one I can reach.