Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

violence in the media wrote:...conservative persecution ... Just like Jesus.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

hyzmarca wrote:
Kaelik wrote:https://verdict.justia.com/2015/07/29/w ... ing-videos

TL;DR: They probably could be, but there are at least enough colorable issues to make it take a while and cost some money, and since right now Planned Parenthood needs to deal with the Public Relations issue, a suit is useless, and they are better off addressing it by pointing out how utterly stupid it is, and how it is deceptive editing.
A lawsuit sends a strong message "the video is a lie and we can prove it's a lie." Defamation suits are an absolutely essentially part of a PR campaign in cases like this.
1) They might not be able to prove it.
2) No it doesn't, the message sent by a lawsuit depends on who is suing whom. Planned Parenthood is still "the man" even when suing shitty assholes pretending to be citizen journalists, and therefore the message is hampered.
3) Suing brings publicity, nothing about publicity towards their abortion costs overlay or these videos is helpful.

This is pretty much a decision to be made by PR people. Are you a PR person? Are you sure that you know better than whomever works for PP?

Also, just as a point, they actually have to prove damages, and that would be fucking weird as fuck as an explanation.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Kaelik wrote: 1) They might not be able to prove it.
2) No it doesn't, the message sent by a lawsuit depends on who is suing whom. Planned Parenthood is still "the man" even when suing shitty assholes pretending to be citizen journalists, and therefore the message is hampered.
3) Suing brings publicity, nothing about publicity towards their abortion costs overlay or these videos is helpful.

This is pretty much a decision to be made by PR people. Are you a PR person? Are you sure that you know better than whomever works for PP?

Also, just as a point, they actually have to prove damages, and that would be fucking weird as fuck as an explanation.
They're not the man. They're the exact opposite of the man. They're a somewhat underfunded nonprofit dedicated to providing vital health services to women and infants.

They're being persecuted by the man.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

hyzmarca wrote:

They're not the man. They're the exact opposite of the man. They're a somewhat underfunded nonprofit dedicated to providing vital health services to women and infants.

They are being funded by the man. The man doesn't hurt them at all. The random asshole who is in no way associated with the government who released edited videos is not the man.

Look, I know Planned Parenthood is a poor put upon organization that does good work. You know that. I know the people who released edited videos are colossall assholes who have shitty opinions because of Fox News. You know that too.

I am also a fucking pro abortion communist who knows that those videos are fake just from the watching them, because I'm not "neutral" with respect to any of this shit. Your statement that you personally see a government funded organization that kills little babies as the underdog when it sues a goodguy citizen journalist who is just trying to expose corruption is irrelevant.

Pointing out that the videos are edited or just ignoring them is probably just better for them.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Kaelik wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:

They are being funded by the man. The man doesn't hurt them at all. The random asshole who is in no way associated with the government who released edited videos is not the man.

Look, I know Planned Parenthood is a poor put upon organization that does good work. You know that. I know the people who released edited videos are colossall assholes who have shitty opinions because of Fox News. You know that too.

I am also a fucking pro abortion communist who knows that those videos are fake just from the watching them, because I'm not "neutral" with respect to any of this shit. Your statement that you personally see a government funded organization that kills little babies as the underdog when it sues a goodguy citizen journalist who is just trying to expose corruption is irrelevant.

Pointing out that the videos are edited or just ignoring them is probably just better for them.
Yeah. But if they don't sue, then the first question that the Fox News crowd will ask is "why don't they sue?" They take the lack of a lawsuit as proof that the accusations are true.

You can't just let these assholes go and turn the other cheek. You have to beat them until they cry and scream and beg you to stop. It's the only way they'll learn.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

@hyzmarca - As much as I want to believe that... How many times did they investigate Benghazi? Birthers.

These nutjobs are relentless. And it doesn't matter what the truth is, If PP brought a lawsuit and won, they'd say activist judges were censoring free speech and journalism. We want to see an ass get kicked, but we won't.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Is there a metacosplay thing where you cosplay a character cosplaying a character from a different franchise? Sort of like going to a Halloween party as Frankenstein's Monster going to a Halloween Party as the Wolfman.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I have no idea how to even google that and find out (it doesn't help that there's actually a character named matrioshka). But drawings of a character cosplaying another are common enough that I think people would get it if you, say, cosplayed Deadpool cosplaying Ms. Marvel, or Pikachu wearing a Gengar hoodie.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

I think the closest you get is mashup cosplay.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Are there any algorithms besides the Southampton 'Master and Slave' that can consistently beat (or at least score well against) Tit for Tat in iterated prisoner's dilemma? If so, under what circumstances?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Thanks, angelfromanotherpin. You a CS graduate or major by any chance?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Nope, EngLit. Just handy with web research, I guess.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

erik wrote:While it would be exciting to use your car for a derby, that's not necessarily the most optimal course. Best to use it for a trade-in, knock a few thou off the price of a used car that someone else leased.
Could I trade in something that's less accurately described as a "car" and more accurately described "two tons of smoking metal crap abandoned in a Wal-Mart parking lot somewhere in Rural Iowa"? I'm serious, I don't know how reality works.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Yes. But the cost of convenience scales, and the means of turning your car back into liquidity are really inconvenient. If it was still running, then it might have had non-negligable worth to someone who could effect the repairs themselves and pay minimal carrying costs while they waited for a good sales price. That's what dealerships do. But since you pushed it to catastrophic damage, the only value in the car is pretty much all tied up in its quarter-paneling and power windows. Piecemeal salvage is a totally different game than what a dealership plays, so if you drop it on one of them in a trade-in, I suspect they're probably just gonna middle-man it wholesale into the hands of a automotive recycling facility. The value conveyed to you will be minimal, but then, it probably would be, anyway. I don't know what kind of hairs you're willing to split on this.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Are Bad Dragon products actually worth their rather substantial cost?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I don't know from any personal experience, but on the one hand, silicone is rather nice, but noticeably costly. On the other hand, their products are apparently a bit of a gamble (hell, look at the number of flops they sell for reduced cost, and then think about how many they don't catch or consider minor enough to sell for full cost), and they are, surprising, given they're furries, not the most progressive people.

Look into Damn Average or Frisky Beast. Similar products, better people, and, I believe, cheaper. The only trade off is their sculpts aren't quite as nice.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

I have heard that their cock sleeves are tighter and the silicone they use doesn't have the give that a fleshlight has so using one can be slightly uncomfortable. No, if I knew this first hand I'd admit it and post pictures (although the Sugar Star is tempting...)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

A note regarding sex toys: http://dangerouslilly.com/toxictoys/

(All three of the manufacturers mentioned are on the "trustworthy" list)
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Yikes, read some of those articles and I need to replace most of my toybox then...
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Given the choice between a Surface Pro 3 and a Chromebook, which would I rather have?

It is for work (and provided by them), so I will not be playing games on it, but I get to take it home, so I will likely watch videos and surf the net.

Game On,
fbmf
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Not to hate on the work put into Chromebook because it has some winning features, but a Surface Pro 3 will take you farther in almost every direction. I think they perform better, there's more support for when you have problems, and you don't lose out on the possibility of a bunch of software.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

surface 3 pro with not arm cpu and full windows on it is simply so much superior to a chrome os device which has to be connected always and does nothing offline it ain't even funny.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Have their every been any democratic government to use last-past-the-post voting? That is, you vote for that you want to lose and the candidate with the fewest votes wins?