Any System for Break-Neck Gaming? (Silva stay out)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Any System for Break-Neck Gaming? (Silva stay out)

Post by virgil »

Are there any RPG systems that are good for running sessions that last 15-30 minutes? Obviously it would likely cover single scenarios or something along those lines, and likely prefer small groups.

I know you can run micro-sessions with 'mainstream' systems, but they're not designed with that as a goal, so there's going to be a lot of inherent inefficiency that has to be sliced off in what would likely be an ad-hoc manner.
Last edited by virgil on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Dread? That is to say; the horror-based Jenga game.

It's pretty much shit though.

Danger Patrol could also work, I guess.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You probably want to look at foreign games (I'm looking at you, Japan) and indie games. Some which might fit that bill:

Maid: to start with, character creation takes about 5 minutes so even if you create a fresh cast for every session, that's not hurting the game length too much. Though for 15 minute sessions you'd want pre-gen, I guess. Or use a program or website to generate characters. It isn't about going on adventures or missions in the traditional sense, it's more about events happening at the mansion and the cast reacting. With optional rules for player characters to MAKE something happen if the MC rocks up too drunk to think of something. Because of this, you can make the events sufficiently small and self-contained to keep to a quick timeslot. Furthermore, action resolution is fast (largely because the rules are minimalist).

Nechronica: having looked over this, I think it's altogether possible, as long as you design the sessions to be short. Every session is supposed to have precisely one combat encounter, not zero, not two. Three is right out. It's split into three distinct phases (investigation + group chatter (reduce mental damage from previous sessions), combat, post-combat scavenging + chatter (reduce mental damage from the combat) + repairs). So by limiting the amount of investigation that's necessary and not having too many foes in the fight, you can make it a self-contained 20-minute thing.

3:16: probably? I mean each session is just "a bunch of combat encounters strung together", so you could probably just make it 1-2 of those and everything would work out peachy. Especially if people play to win as a team instead of the way it's "supposed" to be played.
Last edited by Koumei on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I've played Danger Patrol, it was alright but it is very player dependent to drive the game forward and shape the narrative... though that can be said of any game.

I've heard good things about Maid and how it can be reskinned ("You are acolytes working for an Inquisitor") but never played it.

An ACKS dungeon crawl could work. The character sheets can fit on a post-it note (...OK, not the magic users). Have players roll to kill stuff, roll to detect stuff, roll to disarm stuff, and when one PC dies another backup takes their place.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I almost can't imagine wanting to play Poison'd for longer than that.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Maid and Paranoia, assuming you pregen some characters in advance.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Toon. Munchhausen.

-Username17
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

EABAnywhere.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Wulfbanes
1st Level

Post by Wulfbanes »

I agree on Munchhausen. Explaining the game takes a minute at it's worst, the game becomes immediately transparent at the first two penalties or so. It's a game that's fun in short bursts, and doesn't lend itself well to hours in a row, even if it's fun multiple times.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Acknowledging that many players have difficulty managing their disgust at the very notion, I don't mind Barbarians of Lemuria/Barbarians of the Aftermath as a nominally expandable rules-lite, Fiasco for storytelling, Lasers and Feelings for dicking around for a couple of minutes, and Cthulhu Dark for run-and-hide investigative horror.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Fiasco can go pretty quick. Running a session as a series of skill challenges that we came up with in something like FAE or TOON/Primetime Adventures would get it done too. I also second MAID and Munchausen.

Bear World and it's bastard children are fast as fuck, but Bear World.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Kobolds Ate My Baby
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:Acknowledging that many players have difficulty managing their disgust at the very notion, I don't mind Barbarians of Lemuria/Barbarians of the Aftermath as a nominally expandable rules-lite, Fiasco for storytelling, Lasers and Feelings for dicking around for a couple of minutes, and Cthulhu Dark for run-and-hide investigative horror.
Can you talk more about Barbarians of Lemuria? I've heard good things about it, but I'm concerned by you saying "disgust at the very notion". What notion is troubling?
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Grek wrote:
Nebuchadnezzar wrote:Acknowledging that many players have difficulty managing their disgust at the very notion, I don't mind Barbarians of Lemuria/Barbarians of the Aftermath as a nominally expandable rules-lite, Fiasco for storytelling, Lasers and Feelings for dicking around for a couple of minutes, and Cthulhu Dark for run-and-hide investigative horror.
Can you talk more about Barbarians of Lemuria? I've heard good things about it, but I'm concerned by you saying "disgust at the very notion". What notion is troubling?
I have actually never heard of Lasers & Feelings or Cthulhu Dark being mentioned on the Den, and certainly not on my own to form an opinion of disgust.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Munchausen seems good, but some of the reviews I've read with 'sample text' feel kinda awkward and makes you appreciate the effort it takes to have professional level comedy in media.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Forgive the hyperbole; I was speaking to the often vociferously professed dislike of rules-lites.

LF is a one page joke game about playing Star Trek, while Cthulhu Dark is a slight improvement from Dread with a 1-3d6 RNG.
BoL has characters that could fit on an efficient post-it note, with a simple resolution mechanic (2d6+ability+combat/career, TN9), and limited capacity for sword and sorcery level magic effects. I would need to give Barbarians of the Aftermath another look, but at a skim it seemed fine for RL pseudo-Gamma World.