[4e... i know] Rule call

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

codeGlaze
Duke

[4e... i know] Rule call

Post by codeGlaze »

My DM is running 4e, what ever the people are fun.

ANYway, I was wondering if I could technically pull some melee cheese would be allowable.

Here goes... I play a runepriest. Most of his powers only do anything when I act against a tarrget. I primarily use a triple headed flail. Would I technically be able to "flail wildly" at an enemy who is out of range just so that creature is subject to my debuff? The debuff just says I need a target, not a successful hit.

Or is that pushing the limit?

Would I be better off just chucking some gravel?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

You can ask if you can use the uneratta'd Aid Another action which just required you to hit AC10 I think.

... yeah I wanted to do that with my Bladesinger whose powers activate as riders to hitting stuff.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

In a fun 4e game, there's probably some handwavium going on. I recommend bringing the idea up with your group first, see how they react.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

What exactly makes a runepriest different from a cleric btw?
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

I just really liked the fluff of runepriests.
Aside from that, they're sort of like battle clerics, with passive buffs and debuffs to party members and enemies who are near you, depending on what rune state and powers you're using. You have an obligatory heal-type move or two, but you're definitely suppose to be on or near the front line mixing it up and smackin fools around.

I was really hoping to find a 3.x treatment of the class. But I'm not sure it'd translate well.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:In a fun 4e game, there's probably some handwavium going on. I recommend bringing the idea up with your group first, see how they react.
Yea, the dm allowed it unless we could find anything strongly contradicting it in the rules. So in light of not really wanting to push the 'meaning of is', I decided to start chucking gravel. :rofl:
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

4e PHB, 270 wrote:A melee attack usually uses a weapon and targets one enemy within your melee reach (your reach is usually determined by the weapon you’re wielding).
There's stuff like that for all the attacks. Ranged attacks need a power or weapon that can make a ranged attack, and the target needs to be within range. You can't target someone without actually making an attack, because a target is defined by the attack you're making. P219 says Improvised ranged weapons (rocks, etc) do 1d4 damage with range 5/10.

So, uh, have some pitiful damage with your gravel, on me.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

tussock wrote:So, uh, have some pitiful damage with your gravel, on me.
Haha, thanks. xD I need to get a ranged weapon or polearm when we get back to town.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

OgreBattle wrote:What exactly makes a runepriest different from a cleric btw?
they lack the three+ years of updates, new options, band-aid feat fixes and support the cleric got (also the three+ years of nerfs, but since the Runepriest was weak to start with that really doesn't help much).
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Rule part deux

I'm vice-DM for a friend's campaign, to help out because the group is so large.
He runs 4e, and I created a few hot-seat callings last night.

1. Is there any drawback to declaring "daily" powers as "scene" powers instead?

Scenes being different from encounters in this way...

* Encounters are individual skirmishes, whether during a longer pitched battle or... not.

* Scenes are basically the encounters surrounding, or leading up to, boss/sub-boss/major, encounters.

So, basically, just codifying auto-refresh of a party's powers between say... traversing an empty warehouse to weaving through a cave system to a battle taking place outside.

Often times that'd take place over multiple sessions anyway, and DMs in my experience just handwave and say to start fresh. But this would be our way of handwaving for a refresh if the aprty manages to cram in more than one scene per session.

2. Using Action Points to auto-hit with daily/scene powers. Or auto-hitting after a failure.

A major power fizzling out and doing jack shit pisses me off... so I used that as a way to speed up an encounter last night.

Is there a good reason to not keep doing that?
Last edited by codeGlaze on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Encounters will end faster.

Since you're playing 4e, I would consider that unequivocally a good thing.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

OgreBattle wrote:What exactly makes a runepriest different from a cleric btw?
Mechanically, out-of-the-box runepriests are better than out-of-the-box clerics. So if you're only allowed to play with one or two sourcebooks (which I've never seen happen in an actual 4E D&D game, because lol Character Generation) the Runepriest is much better than any other cleric but unerrata'd Pacifist Healmaster clerics.

As far as other leaders go, Runepriests don't have killer-apps like Warlords and Laser Clerics (using the full 4E D&D arsenal) but they do all right. They have some very boss At-Wills, Dailies, and passive powers -- making them a prime target for Hybrid Classing. I think the strongest Runepriests are those that Hybrid Class with Clerics or Warlords, in fact.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

@Archmage, speed was definitely a reason for the change. :)