Image macros that make you laugh, cry, or both.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

1) Ben Carson was a highly-educated surgeon, yes. Highly-educated people can still hold very erroneous views of things, and Carson in particular has doubled-down on Biblical literalism, eschewing several basic scientific ideas in the process. Claiming that the pyramids were used to store grain is just icing on a particularly weird cake.

2) The whole idea that "the pyramids were used to store grain" or that "the Jews were enslaved to build the pyramids" aren't actually from the Bible, in its various incarnations. The idea that Jewish slaves built the pyramids was promulgated thousands of years later by the Jewish historian Josephus in his Antiquities; the whole identification with the storehouses of grain in the story of Joseph in Genesis was a later medieval Christian gloss.

Now, as Kaelik mentions, it takes a while for research to filter through educational systems, and plenty of textbooks are laughably out-of-date or inaccurate - Columbus discovering America, that sort of thing - and "popular myths" tend to get propagated as fact, like the more popular accounts of Paul Revere's ride. And the whole "slave labor built the pyramids" is a successful meme for a lot of reasons beyond straight biblical literalism. But yeah, this is Carson digging up a really old and disproven chestnut. He should know better, and in fact probably does know better, but he has an image of a biblical literalist to maintain.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

To be fair, archaeologists didn't discover proof that the Pyramids weren't built by slave labor until the 1990s. But I was never taught in school that the Israelites were slaves in Egypt. That was all church. School didn't make any mention of Israelites at all.

Carson, I think, has been trying to exaggerate things in order to make the point that church has been a valuable life experience. Whether he's deliberately lying or just deluded may still be questioned, but the fact that you can't believe a word that comes out of his mouth shouldn't be.
Last edited by Maj on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
erik
King

Post by erik »

In my experience surgeons are a lot like engineers. Despite the foundations of their craft being rooted in science and objectivity, they scorn science outside their field. Worse is if they're experts in their field then they conflate that expertise as being adept everywhere else as good surgeons may micromanage to run their OR as seen fit.

So I totally believe that Carson is in his own bubble of ignorance and arrogance. If he were being Machiavellian and lying for gain then he probably also have the sense to not smile and laugh when victim blaming for gun murders, or admitting to attempted murder himself. I think he just doesn't censor his thoughts and most of them are ill informed.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Maybe not... He admitted lying about applying for and being accepted into West Point. He could just be pathological.

Why is this in the Image Macros thread?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Maj wrote: Why is this in the Image Macros thread?
Because of the Aliens Guy/Carson macro last page.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Shit, my bad.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Now for an entirely different flavor of boob!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Gives a new meaning to "turkey breast."
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

I made this one after reading an article.

http://flashfictiononline.com/main/2015 ... slushpile/

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

My wife, an editor, has a fridge magnet that reads
"Let's eat grandma!"
"Let's eat, grandma!"
"Punctuation saves lives"
Last edited by Shatner on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
erik
King

Post by erik »

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Epic troll mock-up of 'leaked' soundtrack for the Force Awakens.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I wasn't aware Koumei cosplayed.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

erik wrote:In my experience surgeons are a lot like engineers.
In my experience surgeons are prima donnas who have grossly inflated ideas about their own competence.

For valid reasons: humble people would have a great deal of trouble getting up the courage to cut people open. That requires a great deal of confidence, and the competence that would appropriately result in that level of confidence is very, very rare.

So most surgeons develop delusions that permit them to function, to a degree. Engineers often develop irrational convictions that they can analyze and understand systems, but the nature of their hubris is different.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

> Form contract with Oscar, become magical girl
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

I've really been enjoying that webcomic lately. The drinking contest sequence alone is worth the price of admission. I believe the site was recommended to me in this forum so, yeah, thanks for that, Den.
Last edited by Shatner on Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

That anime is this from?
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

It's from an in-universe anime in "Mayoi Neko Overrun!".
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Damn. I really wanted to watch that.