"A game is a series of interesting decisions"

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Ok, elaborating further on what Ice9 said (“impactful decisions are proportionally contrary to granular processes”), I think this can be clearly illustrated in Gurps.

For example, an attack in Gurps has me “deciding” on a lot of minor things: positioning (moving ? static ?), stance (Offensive ? Defensive ? Balanced ? ), maneuver (riposte ? feint ? aimed ? grappling ?), type of damage (slash ? bludgeon ? impaling ?), how to defend against eventual strikes (passive armor only ? using shield for DR ?), etc. With the output for all those decisions being generally “you did x points of damage, and he was [knockdown/backed off/nothing]”.

So, doing the math: it’s 5 or so decisions for a fairly small change in the “game-state” (“you did x damage and forced the enemy a step back”).

On the other hand, games like D&D3/4/5 or PbtA allow you to impact the game-state in bigger ways and with less decision-points, making each decision feel more impactful.

Another good example is the old Fighting Fantasy series of game-books: because the decisions the player took were so simple ("There is a pouch in the ground in front of you: If you get it , go to page X, if you ignore it, go to page Y") each and every decision was extremely impactful, changing the game-state completely.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

silva wrote: But hey, lemme guess: Someone activated you to ban me based on some forum-rules interpretation gymnastics logic. :mrgreen:
[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Son, I've moderated this board pretty much on my own for more than a decade now. My own council will I keep on whether or not someone is to be banned.

Having said that, I am calling your comment trolling. I don't need anyone's advice on whether or not you're in violation of the rules. You did this just to mock what people have repeatedly said they have no interest in.

Get off my lawn.
[/The Great Fence Builder Speaks]