Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Rawbeard wrote: Warforged having a gender identity at all bothered me a bit in the beginnig, but they learn from observation, so them identifying as one or the other as they preferred made somewhat sense.
I had always ruled they came out of the forge identical and genderless, but could alter their appearance to look gendered with a hammer and some time.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

physically they were always genderless/male-ish, it was always "they identify as X". I actually have no idea if 4e changed anything about that.
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Rawbeard wrote:
Prak wrote:
I'm basically just disappointed since Eberron that neither Changelings nor Warforged were set up as "gender binary need not apply." And that there still isn't a good race with that as the canon fluff.

That I'm aware of.
If I remember right a male changeling could turn into female and get knocked up, so I assumed gender fluidity was just a thing too obvious to mention past this point. Warforged having a gender identity at all bothered me a bit in the beginnig, but they learn from observation, so them identifying as one or the other as they preferred made somewhat sense.
(Eberron) Changelings really should be genderfluid by default. The whole "true gender" thing is bullshit that's borderline offensive (since "true gender" is a thing that actual trans people have to deal with being asked about).

Warforged suffer from the Western "Neutral gender equals male" ideology that plagues pretty much every constructed race in fiction. It's very common, and very annoying.
Lurky Lurkpants wrote:Pathfinder has the Ghoran, who are somewhat like that. Ones that interact with other groups might choose to appear male, female, or neither, but those who don't are confused by the whole idea of gender.

However they are also weird plant people who are all around 4,000 years old, so I wouldn't necessarily call them a good race.
That sounds sort of cool, even though it would make more sense for plant people to be hermaphroditic.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

FrankTrollman wrote:There are also "gender words" which are the words which actually are themselves a description of gender. Like, "masculinity" is a "gender word." And you never fucking see people use the adjective "gender" because it refers to a very obscure thing. The word "gender" alone as an adjective exists, but its a weird construction.
That's actually still not an adjective, that's a genitive noun. It's like "patio door" or "police car." It's not a morphological case anymore like it was in Old English or Latin, but it's still a thing.

Point being, you're correct without caveat. "Gender" isn't an adjective in any fashion.
DSMatticus wrote:Gendered (adjective: having a particular gender) is an analogue of sexed (adjective: having a particular sex), and not the past tense of any verb.
Yes it is, it's a verb of the past participle. A dictionary will tell you that the participle is an adjective but dictionaries are tools for laymen and if we are entertaining a nuanced discussion about how wrong Grek was about linguistics, we can stand to be significantly more high-minded.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Calling somebody out for arguing semantics is perhaps a valid observation when they're being anal about an otherwise clearly inferred point, but we really are just arguing about parts of speech. That is the actual subject of this branch of the conversation.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

But it's a cat wearing a tie!
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

This is true. I concede entirely.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Pathfinder Design Team - FAQ wrote:Nauseated and Actions: Does the nauseated condition really mean what it says when it says “The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn” or does it just mean I can’t take a standard action?

The nauseated condition really means what it says. You are limited to one move action per round, and not any other actions. Compare to the staggered condition, which says “A staggered creature may take a single move action or standard action each round (but not both, nor can he take full-round actions). A staggered creature can still take free, swift, and immediate actions.”
So, I guess you can't drop your weapon or drop prone anymore while nauseated. You can't stand up either, since that is not a move action, but a move equivalent action.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Oh don't start that stupid shit here. You can still do that, you just have to take different actions to accomplish it.

You want to argue, argue about the necessity of that decision, not 'hurr can't drop my weapon now'.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

TOZ wrote:Oh don't start that stupid shit here. You can still do that, you just have to take different actions to accomplish it.

You want to argue, argue about the necessity of that decision, not 'hurr can't drop my weapon now'.
No you really can't do that. Things that are free actions cannot be done in a move action. There is no rule that allows that.

It's obviously stupid because anything that allows you to take a move action should allow you to take free actions, because they are free fucking actions.

You can see why Swift Actions being prevented is a thing that could make sense, because quickened spells exist, but for fucks sake free actions are free.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Kaelik wrote:No you really can't do that. Things that are free actions cannot be done in a move action. There is no rule that allows that.
Nope, you just use the 'manipulate object' action rather than 'drop item' action to put your weapon down. You can argue that you shouldn't have to do that, not that you can't do it at all.
Kaelik wrote:You can see why Swift Actions being prevented is a thing that could make sense, because quickened spells exist, but for fucks sake free actions are free.
But it doesn't because nauseated already said you can't cast any spells while nauseated.
Last edited by TOZ on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

A move-action and a move-equivalent action are the same fuckin thing for all technical purposes. If they wanted to make the case that you can't do anything else than move from point a to point b then the spell would have to explicitly state that.
A move action allows you to move your speed or perform an action that takes a similar amount of time. See Table: Move Actions.
And there is an explicit rule allowing you to take free actions whenever you are allowed to take any type of action.
Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/action ... reeActions
Last edited by zugschef on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

TOZ wrote:Nope, you just use the 'manipulate object' action rather than 'drop item' action to put your weapon down. You can argue that you shouldn't have to do that, not that you can't do it at all.
So what you are saying is "The rules don't say I can't use a completely different action type to do something, so I declare I can!"

Yeah, that's called you being an idiot. Manipulating an object is not dropping it. You can houserules that manipulating an object allows you to fall prone or drop a weapon, but the rules don't actually let you do that.

Also side not, as a lawyer, it's really fucking funny to watch someone try to argue that the specific wording of an effect that is literally copy and pasted from a different rule set was "intended" to deprive people of free actions based on rules that weren't present in the original.
zugschef wrote:And there is an explicit rule allowing you to take free actions whenever you are allowed to take any type of action.
Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/action ... reeActions
Except that if you are deprived from taking free actions, you are still deprived from taking free actions during a move action.

So you still can't drop prone or drop a weapon.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Kaelik wrote:Also side not, as a lawyer, it's really fucking funny to watch someone try to argue that the specific wording of an effect that is literally copy and pasted from a different rule set was "intended" to deprive people of free actions based on rules that weren't present in the original.
Oh I'm not saying that. That's Paizo's goof with this new FAQ.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

TOZ wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Also side not, as a lawyer, it's really fucking funny to watch someone try to argue that the specific wording of an effect that is literally copy and pasted from a different rule set was "intended" to deprive people of free actions based on rules that weren't present in the original.
Oh I'm not saying that. That's Paizo's goof with this new FAQ.
No, that's not Paizo's goof. The FAQ just says "no free actions" you are the one arguing that the rules actually say that for reasons.

Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

ishy wrote:So, I guess you can't drop your weapon or drop prone anymore while nauseated.
Or, you know, talk. I look forward to the moment some asshole PFS GM tells a player to shut up because they're nauseated and can't speak. Hurray for terrible rulings.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Pixels wrote:
ishy wrote:So, I guess you can't drop your weapon or drop prone anymore while nauseated.
Or, you know, talk. I look forward to the moment some asshole PFS GM tells a player to shut up because they're nauseated and can't speak. Hurray for terrible rulings.
Meh, talking has always been something I sort of understand, in that the condition implies throwing up in your mouth levels of nausea, not "man I ate something I shouldn't have" levels.

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Prak wrote:
Warforged suffer from the Western "Neutral gender equals male" ideology that plagues pretty much every constructed race in fiction. It's very common, and very annoying.
By convention, computers and robots are male, ships, cities, and countries are female.

If you build a giant robot the size of a city or a country, then things get confusing.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

hyzmarca wrote:
Prak wrote:
By convention, computers and robots are male, ships, cities, and countries are female.

If you build a giant robot the size of a city or a country, then things get confusing.
Well, more like, by convention, anything humanoid without tits is treated as male. Hence dragon tits, because people wouldn't know that female dragonborns weren't male without lumps of fat on their chest.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Dragontits were the best part of 4E.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Kaelik wrote:No, that's not Paizo's goof. The FAQ just says "no free actions" you are the one arguing that the rules actually say that for reasons.
No, I'm arguing that other actions can accomplish what people are saying the FAQ prohibits characters from doing. I'm not saying there is a reason for the FAQ to be this way, other than the PDT being pants-on-head.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

TOZ wrote:No, I'm arguing that other actions can accomplish what people are saying the FAQ prohibits characters from doing. I'm not saying there is a reason for the FAQ to be this way, other than the PDT being pants-on-head.
Well you are still completely wrong and full of shit.

Also that's not all you were saying, since you also said "You want to argue, argue about the necessity of that decision, not 'hurr can't drop my weapon now'."

Which means that even though you are wrong about not being able to drop your weapon, you still thing no one should be allowed to argue that point.

TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

No, I just think you're fucking stupid if you take up that argument, because it IS fucking stupid.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

TOZ wrote:No, I just think you're fucking stupid if you take up that argument, because it IS fucking stupid.
You are right, it is really stupid to judge rules by whether or not they create bad effects for games.

We should instead judge rules based on whether or not they make us feel good inside. Go back to the Paizo forums, you fit right in there.