Help/Suggestions building a one-shot party

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

codeGlaze
Duke

Help/Suggestions building a one-shot party

Post by codeGlaze »

We're running a one-shot this weekend and I'm having a difficult time deciding on what to do for a party of pre-built characters. (I'll explain below)
Here's the basic details...
System: 3.X/T
Rules/Classes Allowed: (Nearly) Anything Goes, I will absolutely be open to custom content
Races Allowed: Human, Tiefling (I think that's all for the time being)
Setting: Custom, Arid, City of Glass
Level: Suggestions welcome I'm thinking somewhere on the low end of sweet spot. 8-ish, maybe? 10?

Background details: The story stems from a (4e) Sha'ir who pacted to obtain power enough to help her brother overthrow the current rulers. Who then turned on her. Previously her powers were banned because she's a woman, now she's still KOS because her own brother wants her out of the picture. She has, instead, returned and recruited yet another resistance. Enter the party.

Most of the players will be regional/local, and therefore flavors of human or tiefling.

The party will be pre-generated to save time and hassle. The characters may or may not be given out at random... that's still up in the air.

There is one DnD newbie... and 4rrie involved. So I've been trying to think of characters that have "something to do" every turn and can easily broken down into a "how to play cheat-sheet".

I was thinking *definitely* a Fire Mage... but beyond that I'm very much in the realm over option overload.
So some favorite builds or direction would be very welcome.

So... uh... thanks for tuning in?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I think the 4e guy would like the TOME Monk, Totemist, Soulborn, Assassin, or Hicks Mage.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

OgreBattle wrote:I think the 4e guy would like the TOME Monk, Totemist, Soulborn, Assassin, or Hicks Mage.
That list might simply make up most of the party. I don't think I've ever seriously looked at the Hicks Mage before, though.

I was playing with the idea of re-skinning the Samurai as a Persian-flavored scimitar wielder as well.
Last edited by codeGlaze on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Some classes I like that Ogrebattle hasn't already mentioned in no particular order:

Time Mage
Elemental Siphon
Thief-Acrobat (Revised)
Warmage (attune domains and/or spheres for extra spells)
3.5 Beguiler (attune domains and/or spheres for extra spells)
Force Potentate
Ninja-Rogue
Sand Mage
Gadgeteer
Conduit
Cold Dude

Feats are tricky for non full BAB Tome classes, but I'd recommend looking at:
Red_Rob's Scaling Feats thread
dndwiki scaling feats (beware Sturgeon's law)
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

codeGlaze wrote: I was playing with the idea of re-skinning the Samurai as a Persian-flavored scimitar wielder as well.
Sounds fun. I'd suggest reworking "kiai to crit so of course you use a pick" to just bonus damage so more weapon variety is encouraged.

At higher levels you'll probably want to give the samurai something to spend their kiai on other than "gigantic hitpoint damage" for out of combat utility. Then again this is a one shot.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Also, Josh_Kablack revised the Fire Mage
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

OgreBattle wrote:
codeGlaze wrote: I was playing with the idea of re-skinning the Samurai as a Persian-flavored scimitar wielder as well.
Sounds fun. I'd suggest reworking "kiai to crit so of course you use a pick" to just bonus damage so more weapon variety is encouraged.

At higher levels you'll probably want to give the samurai something to spend their kiai on other than "gigantic hitpoint damage" for out of combat utility. Then again this is a one shot.
Well, it's a one shot, and I'm handing out the characters. xD
Except for my wife's Sha'ir... which actually brings me to a different question.

Should I use the fire mage for that? Or... should I try to use the 3e Sha'ir?
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

I'd probably hand out a Dread Necromancer. They're hard to build if you're a newbie, but pretty straight forward to play if you hand out a few strategetic and tactical hints with the character sheet.
erik
King

Post by erik »

If you have someone who hankers for Roguedom then there is my tome rogue.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

erik wrote:If you have someone who hankers for Roguedom then there is my tome rogue.
How does the Tome Rogue stack up vs the Thief Acrobat?
erik
King

Post by erik »

At level 10, they're fairly comparable. Both have same BAB, same sneak attack. Improved Evasion and roughly equivalent skill feats

Acrobat has more mobility abilities. If a player is really interested in tactical aspects then they would prefer this.

Rogue is focused more on ensuring constant access to sneak attack damage since it was built with the intent that you should be able to get your sneak attack on, always, without reliance on DM fiat. If a player wants fun stuff to do, and mostly just wants to make sure they are relevant against opponents without spending a lot of time moving their mini around then they would prefer this.

Despite the free combat feats for Rogue, I'm honestly not certain that the Acrobat isn't at least as strong in combat for someone who puts effort into the tactical aspect of combat. Power Slide alone is a huge defensive ability since you not only halve damage, but then you get to roll out of threat range reactively on top of it, avoiding all further attacks. With no daily limit it is Defensive Roll on steroids and starting at level 5.

I think at high levels Acrobat peters out and cannot compete with casters. I gave the Rogue things to have fun and stay relevant as 7th-9th level spells come online. But that's moot for your one-shot.