Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Special resources seem to spawn deliberately far away from your start point (or are just that rare). I have only ever had ONE unit of that one easiest to research resource (the one with the better energy plant option) appear anywhere close to IN my borders on discovery. Terraforming resources are stupid rare, especially one of them, and as such I have never terraformed anything. If the costs for the terraforming are an ongoing requirement for said resource I never will.

All things considered terraforming is looking like a pretty god damn stupid option compared to habitability boosts and new planet type colonization options. And considering how totally hands off and bullshit the economy and planet management is I'm more than prepared to just dump un-terraformed colonies into sectors and forget about them, because what else are you even supposed to do?
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I think you just had a bad seed. For me terraforming resources were the most numerous - I had 10 of each. I never used them because terracorming is shit, but AI will gladly take them off your hands.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Over the course of several dozend games by now . .
Yes, the special ressources are SPECIAL in the way they are generated.
Pure RNG and so hit and miss it's barely believeable . .
In one game, i had 3 of the special ressources in my starting system . .
in several, i had several dozend systems to my name and not a single special ressource in any of them . .

As for the core planets:
you can min/max with the empire creation to get, i think, 8 at the beginning and can, through research, get that up to 11 or 15 or something like that.
But that is literally high end and sometimes rare research.
Which is especially bad with the stupid no tech tree but lolrandom we forget everything choice of techs you get to research <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I think you can actually get to infinity, because as far as I can tell, all those random increase techs go from 1-infinity. Or god, at least so high that you could never even imagine researching them. I've been pretty tech focused, and I still haven't hit the end of any of these things.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

but at a certain point, the menue on the right side of the screen gets really really big and tedious to work with.
same for having to do the spaceport stuff all the time . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Beat Dark Souls III with the "Travel to untended graves and find the eyes behind an illusionary wall" ending, I liked that end more than the regular 'link the fire' ending.

May go for "Lord of Hollows" in NG+ Wonder if the DLC will also add alternate endings.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

OgreBattle wrote:Beat Dark Souls III with the "Travel to untended graves and find the eyes behind an illusionary wall" ending, I liked that end more than the regular 'link the fire' ending.
There's an alternate version of that ending if you attack the Fire Keeper as the screen darkens.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Looking around for a vaugely dungeon crawler RPG.

In the steam games list, came across Sword Coast Legends. For 9.99. That decayed fast. Looks like everyone realized exactly how shitty it is.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Kaelik wrote:Looking around for a vaugely dungeon crawler RPG.

In the steam games list, came across Sword Coast Legends. For 9.99. That decayed fast. Looks like everyone realized exactly how shitty it is.
I still haven't gotten around to playing that. How bad was it?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I RNGed into the shittiest possible map in Stellaris, I tried out Ring, and exploring one direction, I ran into a Fallen Empire right next to me. Then I went the other way... There are zero other Fallen Empires. The one next to me has 13 planets. Which means they have like 200k in fleet strength. When they inevitably decide that my core homeworld is too close to their huge as fuck not fallen at all empire, I'm going to be sad.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

what kind of fallen empire are they?
maybe they are the kind that does not want you to develop a certain tech or something?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Stahlseele wrote:what kind of fallen empire are they?
maybe they are the kind that does not want you to develop a certain tech or something?
Oh, I didn't know different Fallen Empires have different things. They are a stagnant ascendancy.

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stagnant Ascendancy is their government type. Their empire type is one of the following:
-Enigmatic Observers (fanatic xenophile). Nicest of all, will beat the shit out of you if you have slavery or purge policies.
-Holy Guardians (fanatic spiritualist). Will attack you if you colonise a world with "Holy" modifier.
-Keepers of Knowledge (fanatic materialist). Will attack you if you research a red technology.
-Militant Isolationists (fanatic xenophobe). Will attack you if there is border tension.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

also, they are appearantly simply hardcoded into being betterer than you . .
i cheated a bit experimentally, and even with a 100k fleet it still told me that their little 20 system empire was far superior to mine in both fleet and military power, even though i had encircled them on a ring map and the whole map being my empire.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Stahlseele wrote:also, they are appearantly simply hardcoded into being betterer than you . .
i cheated a bit experimentally, and even with a 100k fleet it still told me that their little 20 system empire was far superior to mine in both fleet and military power, even though i had encircled them on a ring map and the whole map being my empire.
I can get it to say that I am technologically superior to them* around Energy Damage XX. There Naval Capacity is still Overwhelming to me at 200. I suppose I could just spam every single planet in the galaxy build all the starports, and then find out what their's is.

*At least all the Fallen Empires in my previous Spiral Game, I couldn't tell you if they are all the same or not, since I didn't even know there were different kinds of assholes.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu May 26, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

K
King

Post by K »

Pissing off a Fallen Empire will cause them to send a 17Kish stack to kill you, something that is completely killable as a single empire and could be accomplished relatively early by an alliance. Since they don't build ships, every lost ship is a permanent reduction of their power, and the only real trick to is keep them from warping out before you can wipe them.

Researching their debris unlocks their sweet tech, so I could see a strategy of deliberately provoking them in the midgame to kill a stack or two.

In my last game, I had a Fallen Empire jump me a few turns before the Unbidden appeared to murder the galaxy. Definitely a memorable double-team.
Last edited by K on Thu May 26, 2016 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I was attacked by 4 21K stacks from a small 3 planet Fallen Empire in my long game.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, because fuck playing by the same rules as the human . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Stahlseele wrote:Yeah, because fuck playing by the same rules as the human . .
Honestly, my home super Spacesport for construction in my most advanced game has, with an Admiral attached, a 85% maintenance cost reduction for all ships. I could see Fallen Empires (who never build more ships, and never build new structures, and never colonize new planets) having a kickass fleet that exactly counters their resources, so that they can maintain as long as they don't launch and or expand, even if that probably isn't what actually happens.

But my point was merely the idea that you only get attacked by a single 21k stack is ridiculous, because I was attacked by one at every single planet I owned within their "border dispute" and that Empire was literally less than a fourth the size of this one.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Longes wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Looking around for a vaugely dungeon crawler RPG.

I still haven't gotten around to playing that. How bad was it?
Assorted quotes from me:
Kaelik wrote:
CapnTthePirateG wrote:Is Tales of the Sword Coast actually worth getting?
Absofuckinglutely not.
Kaelik wrote:
malak wrote:
silva wrote:Color me skeptic. Paradox is a one trick pony whose trick has nothing to whatsoever with RPGs.
They published Pillars of Eternity.
The only more compelling criticism of a companies ability to make RPGs I can imagine is if they published Tales of the Sword Coast Legends.
Kaelik wrote:
AcidBlades wrote:Is it really that hard to emulate Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate and not have it suck?
Literally rereleasing Neverwinter Knights would be a better game, but I want to know why the godfuck damn can't we have a turn based game based on actual D&D mechanics?
Kaelik wrote:
MGuy wrote:
nockermensch wrote:http://store.steampowered.com/app/325600
Just check the reviews. I found myself wondering which denner had written each one there.
Is this game built for 4th ed because the first review sounds like someone complaining about playing 4th
Modifications make it much more 4e like, because complex spell effects would be too much work for PCs.
In general, the game is super shit, and all the enemies level with you no matter what, so the very beginning of the game is actually impossible if you have a level 20 character, because hordes of mooks will all be level 20 and kill you when you have no gear.

But if you are willing to grind forever (or grind forever in this one custom map that someone made, where monsters exactly cancel each other out killing each other leaving their loot) you can get actual honest to god 100% CDR, and then nothing matters because you have one AoE save or action deny and damage ability that you can spam several times a second.

The game itself is basically a bunch of shitty custom modules that look like less work was put into them than Neverwinter Knights.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu May 26, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@Kaelik
The fallen empires are the only big bad i did not have a fight with yet <.<
I had the Devourers. I had the Dimensionholes. I had the robot Uprising.
But i have not yet had problems with the fallen. I may try just for shits and giggles in my cheaty mc cheatface gamesave though.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Weirdly, I have no idea who the Devourers or DimensionHoles even are...

Also, I'm a sentient robot activist, so they never bother me :)

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

There are THREE Major big threats the game will throw at you, aside from the fallen.
The extradimensional energy beings that come when somebody gets to the red warp tech and researches it and tears a hole into the universe.
They don't even have to settle systems, they just kill what is in there and then put space stations in and annex them like that.
They start with several 10k fleets i think and simply steamroll everything in their path, because their weapons are so OP.

The next is basically the tyrannids from WH40K, just in more blobby and less insectoid/dinosaur form.
They appear . . some time for some reason i am not sure about and simply start eating planets. The only way to deal with them is to bombard planets into barren state, otherwise the planet will keep belonging to them.

And then there is the AI/Robot uprising, when you research the red AI Tech. It happened once to me. I saw a 6k Robotic Fleet when i only had a 1k fleet. And it basically went Necron on me and simply deleted me from the game.

http://www.stellariswiki.com/Crisis
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu May 26, 2016 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen has a deep dark dungeon called "Bitterblack" that you can reach early in the game. You can also wander around and bump into a griffin, cyclops, chimera, and so on deep in the woods.

Every cut and thrust feels meaty and the three archtypes of "heavy melee dude, speedy dudes, magic dude" all play differently enough in controls.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I wish more games sold through steam would have a wiki such as stellaris.
I would have had much less of a problem with the game, had i known about that sooner <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: