[IC]Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sounds good to me, Archimedes says telepathically, with the equivalent of a grin appearing on his iron, monstrous face. Cast a spell and I'll rip its face off.

(In other words, Archimedes is planning on delaying until Malagos has cast a spell, at which point he'll either pounce or simply full attack depending on how close the lizard-creature is.)
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr turns away from helping the cone burrow and nods. "Okay, let's go on the offensive then."

Orr will blink through Archimedes to get a better look.

He'll then minor power channel water to sicken the creature (no save) and possibly nauseate it (DC 15, fort negates). If successful Orr will minor channel earth to entangle it with sticky mud (no save). If the creature isn't nauseated, Orr will attempt to minor power channel water again if he feels like there's a 33% chance or more of it working, otherwise, or if he's uncertain, he'll minor channel earth to entangle it. He'll then get back behind Archimedes.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri May 27, 2016 10:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Orr blinks through Archimedes, and the sudden appearance of this new creature causes the lizard-thing to pause in its steady progress; the half-fey sees the critter visibly blanch as he channels water through it - and then the great nictating membranes over the lizard's luminescent eyes open, and two great lights shine out.

Orr stares into those great orbs...and then, knows no more.

Archimedes, behind Orr, briefly sees his comrade outlined in bright light - and then a moment later the light is gone, and he smells new-cut stone.

Blinking twice, he looks at Orr...but all he sees is a fresh-wrought statue of solid stone.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes will push the statue of Orr aside, close his eyes, and attempt to pounce the creature (if possible), relying on his sense of smell to (try to) keep track of it. If it's too close to charge he'll simply full attack.

"I'LL RIP YOUR EYES OUT!" he roars.

Attack values vary a bit depending on whether or not Archimedes is charging, and whether or not the hammer counts as a signature weapon of his combat school (which is thrashing around violently while trying to slash, gouge, tear and/or batter his foe to death--I can see swinging a hammer around as going either way on that one). If the hammer counts as part of his combat school he gets +2 to attack and damage with it (this is already factored in to his natural attacks), and if he's charging he gets another +2 and attack to damage with everything listed (this isn't already factored in)

Primary attack with hammer at +13 melee (not accounting for any bonuses the hammer may have, damage unknown), secondary slam at +11 melee (2d6+7 magic bludgeoning), secondary gore at +11 melee (1d8+7 magic piercing) secondary claw at +11 melee (1d6+7 magic slashing), secondary bite at +11 melee (1d6+7 magic bludgeoning/piercing/slashing), secondary tail at +11 melee (1d6+7 magic piercing)
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The half-minotaur's blind half-pounce sees him slam into the lizard-thing's snout, where he begins to rip and tear - not all of the attacks hit, striking the walls of the tunnel, but enough do that terrible damage is done to the lizard thing. The strange hammer/key glows and sparks, and a heavy rain begins to fall - which, given that this is an earthen tunnel is both unusual and dangerous, the clay walls are already beginning to turn into mud, and you are not sure how much longer they will withstand this before collapse.

Thrull and the acolyte-rats climb onto the dog, and coax it up the green cone's tunnel.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(I actually forgot to factor in the attack bonus from Combat School for his natural attacks, although I doubt that makes a difference.)

Assuming Archimedes can tell that the main tunnel is collapsing from his senses of hearing and smell he'll turn around, open his eyes, grab the Orr statue (and the gauntlet, assuming it's still on the ground) and head for the green cone's tunnel, hoping that his iron body and great bulk will protect him from anything the wounded lizard-creature can dish out.

If he can't tell, he continues attacking the creature.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

If Archimedes attacks, Malagos casts his fell animating chill touch, jamming his fist into the creature while doing his best to avert his eyes.

Otherwise he follows the evac train.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Ancient History
Serious Badass

As mud and earth fall on Archimedes, and the torrent of water does not abate, he turns from the foe, grabs the Orr-statue, and heads for the green cone's tunnel - quickly followed by Malagos. The lizard-thing, for its part, seems content to let you leave.

The tunnel is not particularly steep, and somewhat rough, but the green cone has made considerable progress. In a few minutes, you emerge once more at the surface - even as you hear the "clump" of collapsing earth from down the tunnel.

You are in a grove of tall mushrooms - taller than Archimedes; the smallest of them would be a sapling, and the thickest is as big as a good-sized cottage.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Before anything else, Archimedes sniffs around carefully.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

They brain-cone emerged in a center of dead earth - a rough ring surrounded by the great mushrooms, like a glade in a forest. The cone is quite cloudy, and is off to one side, busily expelling a thick black sludge that smells harshly of citric acid. Archimedes can smell little else, but on the far side of the clearing gets a whiff of chemical odors, like if an alchemist's kit had been upended, and a whiff of smoke.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Smells like smoke and chemicals to the far side. Archimedes relays to the others, pointing in the direction of the scent. Be on the lookout. Someone's probably here. With that, he stretches out his body and (assuming Orr's statue doesn't weigh him down too much) begins to fly slightly, with approximately 10' between him and the ground. Tunnel was cramped, Archimedes comments.[/i]
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Thrull the rat lightly passes a claw over the Orr-statue. The marble is basically identical to those remnants of statuary discovered earlier.

"A basilisk," the rat muses. "I have heard of such beasts. The effect is powerful, but it can be reversed."
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You know where we can find a way to reverse it? Archimedes asks, his ears perking up. Don't want to carry him forever but he's too useful to leave behind, especially now that we're down to the three of us.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"I am not entirely certain where we are," the rat says, sniffing the wind. "We are no longer in the Fire Swamp, of that I am certain. But the ancients' pathways led many places, not only in our own world but to adjacent spaces. Shadow realms left over from earlier creations. This could be such a lost place, to harbor such a dangerous creature as a basilisk."
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Think the Scaled Ones are still looking for us?" Archimedes asks.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"The salve has not yet been delivered or stolen." The rat strokes its whiskers. "Though if we are fortunate, the Yellow Druid has reported us destroyed."
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Should hope so, Archimedes replies. Not sure we could take them if they attacked again. He pauses for a moment to gently set the Orr statue down, and then looks towards where he smelled the chemicals and smoke. Watch my back. Going to check out what's making that smell. And with that, Archimedes begins to head towards the far side of the clearing.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

On the far side of the clearing, where the smells are strongest, Archimedes discovers a kind of track - along with a crude sign made of dried mushroom. It is painted green with hieroglyphs picked out in white pigment, surmounted by a small drawing of a crown.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

There's a track and a sign written in hieroglyphics, Archimedes relays (if he's still within 100 ft. of the others. If he's not he simply says it out loud.) Come check it out, he suggests (again telepathically if able, if not speaks it.)
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Thrull and the other rats, still riding the dog, trot over. The rat identifies the language as based on those of the Leaf-Eared Men of the far south, and offers a translation:
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Would've been useful back when we were in the tunnels, Archimedes remarks. He starts sniffing to see if there are any new scents to pick up on the trail.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"I would suspect that whoever placed it here did not desire to go into the basilisk's nest, on the off-chance someone would stumble into it," the rat noted, stroking its chin-fur.

The trail itself smells strongly of baker's yeast, quite distinct from the smell of the towering mushroom forest, and as the breeze shifts, the smell of yeast, wood smoke, and chemicals grows stronger from the direction the path leads.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

"We should probably rest soon. I'm running on fumes."
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Now's as good a time as any, Archimedes replies. Might as well rest now.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Night passes, cold upon the ground, but uneventful. You awaken hungry and thirsty to the chatter of insects and the pale grey light that passes for dawn. Dew beads on the statue of Orr. The night's sleep have eased the aches and pains of your journey and refreshed your mind.

Thrull greets the day with a series of exercises, leading the two acolyte-rats in a series of of martial arts kata.