[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Mechalich wrote:Honestly, what the agency should have done is rebooted the whole selection process with a list of say ten pre-approved names and put those up for vote instead rather than simply decide on the (otherwise very appropriate) David Attenborough by fiat.
I find the name of the vessel satisfactory, on the condition that they also award Sir Attenborough with arms and tartan, naming him progenitor of Clan McBoatface.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

SlyJohnny wrote: The last two books of that trilogy really doubled down on the SJW bullshit, and they're really not worth reading (as much as it pains me to agree with the Puppies on ANYTHING).
The "SJW bullshit" has absolutely nothing to do with why the 2nd and 3rd books are so very inferior to the first. Instead the issues have to do with:
  • The main character's motivations in the sequels are far muddier than the millennia old desperate revenge gambit of the first book, making her far less compelling.
  • The interesting parts of the setting have already been established, making the world-building far less interesting.
  • The Aliens who were an alien and inscrutable background threat in the first book show up and are flat out better than you physics in what may be the slowest moving deus ex machina ever.
Those are far bigger issues than the politcal allegory subplots about how nobody cares that tea plantation workers are mistreated and the "migrants" aboard the space station don't actually get the rights accorded to the rest of the Radach.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Eikre wrote:
Mechalich wrote:Honestly, what the agency should have done is rebooted the whole selection process with a list of say ten pre-approved names and put those up for vote instead rather than simply decide on the (otherwise very appropriate) David Attenborough by fiat.
I find the name of the vessel satisfactory, on the condition that they also award Sir Attenborough with arms and tartan, naming him progenitor of Clan McBoatface.
I know what my next CK2 runthrough is going to be about, now.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

http://www.earthables.com/cave-will-blo ... 86027.html

Man spent 25 years creating cave carvings.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
SlyJohnny wrote: The last two books of that trilogy really doubled down on the SJW bullshit, and they're really not worth reading (as much as it pains me to agree with the Puppies on ANYTHING).
The "SJW bullshit" has absolutely nothing to do with why the 2nd and 3rd books are so very inferior to the first. Instead the issues have to do with:
  • The main character's motivations in the sequels are far muddier than the millennia old desperate revenge gambit of the first book, making her far less compelling.
  • The interesting parts of the setting have already been established, making the world-building far less interesting.
  • The Aliens who were an alien and inscrutable background threat in the first book show up and are flat out better than you physics in what may be the slowest moving deus ex machina ever.
Those are far bigger issues than the politcal allegory subplots about how nobody cares that tea plantation workers are mistreated and the "migrants" aboard the space station don't actually get the rights accorded to the rest of the Radach.
I agree with your listed reasons, but also found it anti-climatic that the genocidal warmongering tyrant antagonist was handily defeated by grass-roots activism.

The aliens, as you say, who were at first set up as an inscrutable distant threat apparently existed only to show up and legitimise Breq's attempts to set up a people's republic where AIs could cooexist with humans in a liberal utopia.

The shift in perspective away from the space empire to focus exclusively on the domestic problems of this tiny backwater tea-farming planet and it's space station were a bit dull, as well.

Also, I get that the human soldiers replacing the ancillarys weren't supposed to be elite forces, but the sheer number of times they asked for hugs kind of phased me, plus they kept taking "personal days" in the middle of developing combat situations and noone thought that this was odd or had any kind of a problem with it.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Hulk Hogan is suing Gawker again, because losing more than their entire empire is worth once isn't enough.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

This is standard for a wrestling story line - you want a series of matches.

That said, if Gawker hasn't been properly tanked by the first one, I support any efforts to properly sink them this time around, even if the Hulkamania isn't their biggest victim. Rather, because he isn't - I'll cheer for him in fighting them on his own behalf even though he's a cock.
Last edited by Koumei on Thu May 26, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Koumei wrote:This is standard for a wrestling story line - you want a series of matches.

That said, if Gawker hasn't been properly tanked by the first one, I support any efforts to properly sink them this time around, even if the Hulkamania isn't their biggest victim. Rather, because he isn't - I'll cheer for him in fighting them on his own behalf even though he's a cock.
Do you want wrestling plotlines? Because Hogan's lawsuit has been secretly funded by a billionaire who's also a Trump delegate.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

nockermensch wrote:
Koumei wrote:This is standard for a wrestling story line - you want a series of matches.

Do you want wrestling plotlines? Because Hogan's lawsuit has been secretly funded by a billionaire who's also a Trump delegate.
I think this is the more important bit then being a Trump delegate
the article wrote:Thiel, whose sexuality was outed in a 2007 Valleywag article, argued that he third-party funding was "less about revenge and more about specific deterrence." The venture capitalist, worth an estimated $2.7 billion, said he decided several years ago to covertly provide money to "victims" of stories posted on Gawker Media's properties. "I didn't really want to do anything," he told The New York Times, saying that he thought providing so-called third-party litigation funding "would do more harm to me than good." Thiel said he changed his mind when one of his friends convinced him that if he didn't step in to stop Gawker, nobody would.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I like that.
The bully that is gawker gets to feel how it is when somebody who is bigger than you has it out for you and simply helps your other victims.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Leress wrote:I think this is the more important bit then being a Trump delegate
the article wrote:Thiel, whose sexuality was outed in a 2007 Valleywag article, argued that he third-party funding was "less about revenge and more about specific deterrence."
Stahlseele wrote:I like that.
The bully that is gawker gets to feel how it is when somebody who is bigger than you has it out for you and simply helps your other victims.
Who's helping Gawker's "other victims"? Do you think gay people would fare exceptionally well under Trump?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Um, Thiel. He's been bankrolling lawsuits by other people who had highly private information such as their sexual orientation and homemade sex tapes publicly released by Gawker. He is also a Trump delegate.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, the fact that Thiel is also a fascist shit stain is mostly irrelevant to this issue. He happens to have a giant pile of money and a justified mad hatred for Gawker. It's worrying that this case might end up being a test case for legal harassment of legit news organizations. But Gawker was never a legit news organization and clearly broke the law and the boundaries of common decency.

-Username17
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Starmaker, did you read the article?
]
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Leress wrote:Starmaker, did you read the article?
It's revenge. The problem with outing gay people isn't just the invasion of privacy, it's the high potential of ruining their lives. I live in Russia, where outing leads to career- and often actual murder. Gay people get catfished, spied upon, extorted and murdered, and none of it is prosecuted. Do you (or does Thiel) seriously think minorities would fare better under Trump? Because the more plausible future in Trumpistan is O'Queef messaging Thiel v.2 on LinkedIn telling him to pony up 1 bn or get pronounced gay even if he's actually straight.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Starmaker that has fuck all to do with what is being talked about.

To answer your questions:
No.
Ask Theil yourself.

Since Trump is a very sue-happy kind of guy for even the slightest of perceived slights

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2016/03/14/you ... itigation/

he may extend this narcissism to everyone.
]
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/u ... -the-mood/
Fuck Disney!
In the eye!
With a rusty spoon!
Sideways!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

The best part about them copying A New Hope was that it gave better odds of them copying Empire.

RIP the Dream.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Kaelik wrote:The best part about them copying A New Hope was that it gave better odds of them copying Empire.

RIP the Dream.
Copying Empire strikes back is still likely. Rogue One plays apparently up to 10 minutes before 'A new Hope' timeline wise (according to the above article).
Last edited by Korwin on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, Rogue one is supposed to be the Agent that gave Leia the Deathstar Plans.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Stahlseele wrote:Yeah, Rogue one is supposed to be the Agent that gave Leia the Deathstar Plans.
<snark>Which is just more flagrant whitewashing by Hollywood. This should be a vehicle for many bothan actors, not another human.</sarcasm>
Last edited by Shatner on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Korwin wrote:
Kaelik wrote:The best part about them copying A New Hope was that it gave better odds of them copying Empire.

RIP the Dream.
Copying Empire strikes back is still likely. Rogue One plays apparently up to 10 minutes before 'A new Hope' timeline wise (according to the above article).
If they are going to make a cluster of dead agents into a feel good movie, then how can I trust them to cut off Rei's arm?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Shatner wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:Yeah, Rogue one is supposed to be the Agent that gave Leia the Deathstar Plans.
<snark>Which is just more flagrant whitewashing by Hollywood. This should be a vehicle for many bothan actors, not another human.</sarcasm>
i'd still watch that, if it were a grimdark star wars depicting the rise of the empire between the end of the 3rd prequel and the first star wars movie!
it would finally be not just space opera but for adults!
finally SHOW why vader is as hated and feared as he is for some reason.
and no, annie going emo does not count <.<
he did what the prophecy said and brought balance to the force by helping eradicate most of the jedi untill there were only 2 left. Yoda and Obi-Wan.
And him and Emps as the 2 sith.
Maybe show what happened to the cloning world they had used to make their armies of storm troopers to fight the droids with. Sadly, the first deathstar war already in construction and almost finished at the end of the 3rd prequel movie, so nothing about who and how and why would think that to be a good idea . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

Stahlseele wrote:
Shatner wrote:
i'd still watch that, if it were a grimdark star wars depicting the rise of the empire between the end of the 3rd prequel and the first star wars movie!
it would finally be not just space opera but for adults!
finally SHOW why vader is as hated and feared as he is for some reason.
and no, annie going emo does not count <.<
he did what the prophecy said and brought balance to the force by helping eradicate most of the jedi untill there were only 2 left. Yoda and Obi-Wan.
And him and Emps as the 2 sith.
Maybe show what happened to the cloning world they had used to make their armies of storm troopers to fight the droids with. Sadly, the first deathstar war already in construction and almost finished at the end of the 3rd prequel movie, so nothing about who and how and why would think that to be a good idea . .
This has been done, in the comics. You can read the Dark Times series or several of the Vader stand-alones (Ghost Prison in particular is awesome, among the best EU works ever, though I'm biased because I wrote a fanfic centered around it). Some portions of both are very, very dark. Star Wars can go pretty dark effectively. Heck, doing a dark side playthrough of KOTOR or SWTOR will take you to a very dark place in short order.

However, Disney's flagship property during the Imperial Era is the Rebels cartoon series, which is very explicitly for children. They are trying, hard, to make the core audience younger by something like a full generation, so I can totally understand why they'd be leery of a movie that skews too dark.