[IC]Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes will seek out Thrull. You able to read any of these languages? he asks the rat, holding out the instruction manual. Don't want to take any chances.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

The rat looks over the pages, his nimble paws flipping the pages before stopping at the third section. "I know this. It is the script of the Scaly Ones," the reads silently for several minutes, turning the pages - there are only five to a section - and back again. "An intriguing item. It provides a fraction of the wisdom of the god - and is activated being worn - the position of the amulet when first worn determines the intensity of the effect. The full effect is quite substantial. But there are drawbacks. The increase is wisdom is mirrored by a corresponding decrease in vitality; the greater the wisdom, the greater the loss. The loss of vitality is not quite permanent - but if it is restored, the pact will be broken and the amulet will unbind itself." The rat scratches his chin. "Also, it gives care instructions to avoid corrosion. The gold isn't the problem, but the copper and silver are susceptible, and it suggests covering them with a light wax to avoid contact with corrosive elements. There's also a prayer to utter for customer service, but given the age of this booklet I would be amazed if anyone answered..."
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Can I turn up the setting after I put it on? Archimedes asks.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The rat shrugs.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Just gonna go with the highest then, Archimedes replies. Less worried about risking too much of my vitality than losing the maximum benefit from a good deal. Here goes nothing.

With that Archimedes sets the amulet to the highest setting and then puts it on.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

There is a slightly magnetic pull as the amulet attaches itself to Archimedes chest. Immediately, there is a sensation of cold that seems to leach throughout his system...and yet it comes with an unparalleled expansion of the mind. (Archimedes gains 6 points of Wisdom and loses 6 points of Constitution.)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes stares blankly for a few moments, taking in the newfound wisdom (and lost life-force) before undoing the wyrmfang amulet and putting it in his pack. Gonna go get some maintenance supplies. he tells the others before heading off to look for a market stall that might sell wax for the triskelion.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr will head towards where he's supposed to meet the weavers.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Archimedes finds a pound of wax for only a single Quatloo, sold by a nice bee-person and wrapped in a kind of clear paper.

Orr heads to meet the weavers. The spider-folk greet him with ritual sibilants, and usher him in to the nest. The last thing he remembers is accepting a drink offered by a dusky maiden draped only in shadow, strands of silk woven into her long dark hair.

Morning washes over the valley of the fungus-people in a roiling fog, and the sounds and smells of the day assail Archimedes. As afternoon rolls around, Malagos completes the final arcane gesture and incantation, and his skeletal minion stands ready to perform its duty. Not long after, Orr arrives. He seems not too much the worse for wear, aside from a hangover and a tattoo of a spiderweb on one buttock (or what passes as a buttock for the aberration's anatomy).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr shambles towards the others clutching his forehead. "Ugh... Morning everyone. Uh, aftermorning. Mornoon. Aftermoon. Whatever..."

He'll look for a water trough and dunk his head in it.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

"Present arms", says Malagos to the skeleton, trying not to make some snarky comment about Orr's state. "Forward! Backward! Marrrrrch!"

Satisfied with the creature's performance, he turns to his companions. "Are we ready to go?"
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes will buy the wax, carefully applies some to the silver and copper bits of the triskelion, and rests for the night.

Upon waking up, Archimedes seeks out and addresses Orr, pleased that the choker survived the rites. ...Thanks, he says. Don't need this anymore, he says, holding up the wyrmfang amulet, so it's yours if you want it. Treats your natural weapons as magic weapons, although it doesn't increase their power otherwise. If you don't want it I'm giving it to Malagos' skeleton since that thing has claws.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr will pull his head out of the water and lean on his dog. Upon hearing Malogos, he seems to sober up instantly as his expression hardens and his fists clench. "Yes. Let's get that bastard." He'll climb on to his dog and then collapse forwards but somehow manage to not fall off. He'll dismount before actually entering the cave.

To Archimedes, "Anytime. Last night was great... Probably... It's all kind of a blur. Thanks, but I think the skeleton would probably be able to put it to better use."

Before heading out, Orr will buy a blindfold for himself and blinders for his three animals. He'll make them equip them and put on the blindfold right outside the cave.

(How about this: we all keep our eyes closed, Archimedes leads by scent, Malogos and Orr hang onto ropes tied to him? Also we use the herbs. Hmm... Capn, if you want to use the skeleton as bait, we could have it wear one of our shirts or something so it would smell like one of us. On the other hand that could give away our position and/or potentially ruin a surprise attack, so maybe not. I don't know)
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

{We could do that.

Could also bring some mirrors, try to reflect the basilisk's gaze?)
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(I'm good with that plan. Archimedes does fairly well with scent+pounce but you guys might want mirrors.)
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

(Mirrors can't reflect gaze attacks. Mirrors can be used to look at a basilisk without being subjected to a gaze attack though, but I don't know if just looking at a held mirror the whole time and navigating using just it makes you immune to gaze attacks (maybe it counts as averting your eyes? (50% chance) )
)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(It's your call.)
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

(Orr will be wearing a blindfold. Don't need to see to fireburst the thing (area effect) as long as Archimedes telepathically says where it is. You can take a mirror if you like, Capn)
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Leaving town, you proceed back along the trail you came from, into the strange fungal forest with its eerie twilight - though it is, as far as you can tell, still the middle of the afternoon. Past the sign, the trail drops off into nothingness, but now that you are paying attention you see signs of the basilisk - bits of broken "statuary," not all of it humanoid, and the scent of fresh-cut stone. Very soon, you arrive at the impromptu exit that you had made to the creature's lair - which has now been filled in and patted down, the stamp of taloned legs still in the muddy earth where it was disturbed.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes sniffs the air carefully for the scent of basilisk blood (I assume he knows the smell of it, having wounded the creature in melee a day ago).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Archimedes smells something familiar...and after a minute's search finds a dab of soft earth with fresh blood.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Basilisk blood here, Archimedes tells the others telepathically. Relatively fresh. He attempts to track by scent, if he can catch more of the blood smell (Survival +12).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

There's another patch, about 20 feet away, next to a set of deep clawed prints.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes will head over there to check for any more hints for a trail.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

It's odd - there aren't any tracks very near it - but taking his bearings from where the first blood splatter was, and this one, Archimedes can draw a mental line...and finds, about thirty feet away, lost in a stand of sapling-sized 'shrooms, a gaping hole in the earth. This would appear to be the entrance to the creature's burrow.