Dungeon Master's Guild wants to steal your content, or...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

Dungeon Master's Guild wants to steal your content, or...

Post by K »

...get you to sell it for a rate that makes the RPG industry's rates look wildly lavish.

http://kotaku.com/d-ds-dungeon-masters- ... 1784518350
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

50% royalty is a level that makes the industry look lavish?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
K
King

Post by K »

virgil wrote:50% royalty is a level that makes the industry look lavish?
The very best adventures are making a few hundred dollars, which is about industry standard. The rest are making much less.
Although royalty rates are only 50%, some of the more popular DMs Guild writers I spoke with have made several hundred dollars a month off their D&D adventures—below the industry standard, but not unsatisfactory for a hobby they’d do anyway.
Last edited by K on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Pdf sales are ridiculously small. Remember that WotC made official public statements consistent with the Players Handbook II for 4th edition D&D selling less than 120 electronic copies total.

Signing up to sell your content as pdfs for a royalty rate is pretty similar to giving it away.

-Username17
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Let's be honest, this is their attempt to disguise that they no longer have a D&D team or any desire to make D&D.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
malak
Master

Post by malak »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:Let's be honest, this is their attempt to disguise that they no longer have a D&D team or any desire to make D&D.
True, but it's good for DMs, and allows the people who wrote this stuff for blogs and forums to publish it with some nice D&D Art and WotC Trademarked Content.

Good for WotC customers, bad for people trying to earn a living writing for D&D.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

K wrote:
The very best adventures are making a few hundred dollars, which is about industry standard. The rest are making much less.
Although royalty rates are only 50%, some of the more popular DMs Guild writers I spoke with have made several hundred dollars a month off their D&D adventures—below the industry standard, but not unsatisfactory for a hobby they’d do anyway.
So you're suggesting that instead of paying 300 dollars a month (say) for adventures that earn 600 dollars a month, the business should pay an author 1000 dollars a month or something? That sounds like a great idea! They lose money every month, but they make it up in volume!

At any rate, this doesn't sound much different from Paizo's PDF store or RPGNow or any other PDF store that works on commission, so I'm not sure how this is a new story.
Last edited by hogarth on Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

hogarth wrote:
K wrote:
So you're suggesting that instead of paying 300 dollars a month (say) for adventures that earn 600 dollars a month, the business should pay an author 1000 dollars a month or something? That sounds like a great idea! They lose money every month, but they make it up in volume!

At any rate, this doesn't sound much different from Paizo's PDF store or RPGNow or any other PDF store that works on commission, so I'm not sure how this is a new story.
The article is saying that people who have lots of adventures are making several hundred dollars a month, so maybe $10-15 dollars a month per adventure. That's pennies per hour of work.

Getting paid the industry standard of $300-600 in a lump sum for a single adventure that is then professionally supported with layout and art is a better deal than the $10 a month for the few months that the adventure would sell on the Dungeon Master's Guild. It's better financially and better for a writer's reputation.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

K wrote:The article is saying that people who have lots of adventures are making several hundred dollars a month, so maybe $10-15 dollars a month per adventure. That's pennies per hour of work.
Do you really believe that people should be paid based on how hard they work and not on what customers will pay for the finished product? Does the "K" in your name stand for "Karl", by any chance?
Last edited by hogarth on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

hogarth wrote:
K wrote:The article is saying that people who have lots of adventures are making several hundred dollars a month, so maybe $10-15 dollars a month per adventure. That's pennies per hour of work.
Do you really believe that people should be paid based on how hard they work and not on what customers will pay for the finished product? Does the "K" in your name stand for "Karl", by any chance?
Can you really not understand how things can make more money if they are sold in a different way?

Adventures that are packaged together with art and maps after an editor looks them over make lots more money than some guys notes on the internet.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Besides that, "thinking people deserve to be paid more for doing more work and putting more effort in" is apparently wild Marxism, the realms of Communism that make even regular Communists cringe?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I thought it was facetious. Am I being too generous?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

If people see a total surrendering of property rights "lavish"...