Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Longes wrote:Yes we can, Imp. Yes we can.
Drakengard: Rhythm Battle over Japan, ending in the protagonist and dragon getting blown up. (Leads to Nier as the ash falls and spreads the plague that directly creates the situation that leads to Nier.)

Drakengard 2: TROLLED BY CAVIA. REPEATEDLY. Not that anyone cared because Drakengard 2 was a fucking garbage fire.

Nier: HOPE YOU WEREN'T TOO ATTACHED TO YOUR 100% SAVE DUMBASS! IT ONLY TOOK 120 HOURS RIGHT? OH AND HAPPY ENDINGS FOR EVERYONE BUT YOU! YAAAAAAAAY!

Drakengard 3: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, and especially fuck you, the person playing this game right now.

That said, the Ending E of Drakengard and Drakengard 3 were both kind of bittersweet. But it has to be said that playing any of Yoko's games is like going into Dwarf Fortress - the only enjoyment you get out of them is seeing just how far down the rabbit hole you can go, and then getting kicked in the fucking balls by the White Rabbit, the Cheshire Cat, the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, the Dormouse, and the Red Queen in sequence.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Companies are offering full refunds for No Man's Sky regardless of play time.

Probably related to the fact that the number of active players dropped from 220 000 to 15 000 over last week.
RelentlessImp wrote:
Longes wrote:Yes we can, Imp. Yes we can.
Drakengard: Rhythm Battle over Japan, ending in the protagonist and dragon getting blown up. (Leads to Nier as the ash falls and spreads the plague that directly creates the situation that leads to Nier.)

Drakengard 2: TROLLED BY CAVIA. REPEATEDLY. Not that anyone cared because Drakengard 2 was a fucking garbage fire.

Nier: HOPE YOU WEREN'T TOO ATTACHED TO YOUR 100% SAVE DUMBASS! IT ONLY TOOK 120 HOURS RIGHT? OH AND HAPPY ENDINGS FOR EVERYONE BUT YOU! YAAAAAAAAY!

Drakengard 3: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, and especially fuck you, the person playing this game right now.

That said, the Ending E of Drakengard and Drakengard 3 were both kind of bittersweet. But it has to be said that playing any of Yoko's games is like going into Dwarf Fortress - the only enjoyment you get out of them is seeing just how far down the rabbit hole you can go, and then getting kicked in the fucking balls by the White Rabbit, the Cheshire Cat, the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, the Dormouse, and the Red Queen in sequence.
To be fair they do know how to make some pretty kickass action cutscenes and crazy storylines.

So more like you're playing to see in how many different ways they can kick your nuts in sequence.
Last edited by maglag on Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Can any of you crazy cats recommend a good game that is sort of like Civilization with a more epic fantasy style rather than real-world history?

Like empire management, battles, economies, religions, research, over an epic time frame... like thousands of years. Being good for multi-session multiplayer games is a very valuable quality.

Anything awesome liek that? There seem to be various titles that more or less fit the bill but I don't know how to tell if they are awesome or not.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i have heard good things about the other paradox games, europa universalis and crusader kings, but i took one look at them and pretty much balked because that was just too much for me . .
otherwise, yogscast has played endless legend for example:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Bq-7KtsRaF
Thea the awakening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fyLTZxZvJY

Meanwhile STEAM is trying to peddle Age of Wonders III to me BECAUSE i played Civ5 . .
Here is the cynical brit doing his WTF series vid on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJdvh0iOD7g
It looks like pretty much a straight up Civ5 clone with a fantasy setting to me after some seconds of trailer and screenshots.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Stahlseele wrote:i have heard good things about the other paradox games, europa universalis and crusader kings, but i took one look at them and pretty much balked because that was just too much for me . .
Neither EU4 nor CK2 takes place over thousands of years. Both are very much in the vein of real-world history, albeit a gamified take on it.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Blicero wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:i have heard good things about the other paradox games, europa universalis and crusader kings, but i took one look at them and pretty much balked because that was just too much for me . .
Neither EU4 nor CK2 takes place over thousands of years. Both are very much in the vein of real-world history, albeit a gamified take on it.
I think he is referring to the strategy, not any fantasy elements.

Paradox games all look a lot more complicated than they actually are once you learn them, for what it is worth.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, i pretty much went for the actual games/gameplay, not the skin . .
If the skin is beautifull but the gameplay sucks, you are going to have much less fun than if the skin sucks for you but the gameplay is fantastic.

But all in all, Age of Wonders 3 seems to be exactly what the infected slut princess is looking for.
Maybe Thea - The awakening and maybe Endless Souls.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Thanks for the suggestions, weirdos...

I ended up checking Endless Legend, which seems pretty close to being exactly what I was looking for. It seems pretty fun so far.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Endless Legend, Warlock (I hear the first is better than the second), Age of Wonders 3 (and probably older ones, why not), and Fallen Enchantress are all going to hit some combination of items from your wishlist. From what I can tell, Endless Legend and Age of Wonders are going to be the best games out of that lot - and also probably closest to what you're asking for. So Endless Legend is not a bad choice.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Here is a repository of old games that people can legally play for free in their browsers. Note that if a game requires saving, then it won't work, you need to save the game itself onto your computer and run it from there. Also note that they have their original copy protection (if any) still intact so you may need your pirate wheel. Actually you won't need a pirate wheel, they sadly don't have Monkey Island 1, but they have the sequel and it has the voodoo recipes.

Notably, I went back and played Jill of the Jungle, a game I loved (and sucked at) when I was very young. Turns out it's actually pretty easy once you're an adult with more developed timing, pattern recognition and so on.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I fucking loved Jill of the Jungle. That game was my jam back in the day, and I was also not at all that good at it, but I didn't care. I still have the giant floppy disk that the game came on.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I much prefer her method of control: zero to full speed, no wind up or wind down, you move until you let go of the key and then come to an instant stop. No need to run up to jump. It's not realistic (oh tell me more about your realism, plumber who doubles in size by eating a single mushroom and flies by holding a leaf), but it controls cleanly and lets you move exactly where you intend to move without spending the first hour learning the weird physics. No fucking sliding and drifting over the place, really works well with precise platforming puzzles.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I might have to check that out. Is it the Freeware version or the entire game? Not that it makes a difference, I'm just curious.

Since the doctor has ordered me to stop exercising and sit on my ass more I've been playing WoW. I kind of like the new expansion, I like sending champions and troops out to accomplish objectives. Blizzard should release a strategy game based on World of Warcraft, I'd play that shit.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

What an idea. That could never work! A Warcraft strategy game? Madness, I say!

*goes and cries in a corner because he misses old school Warcraft and has no interest in MMO's*
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Ah, I had forgotten how terrible Blizzard customer service was. Opened a ticket about one of my engineering items not working properly and they sent me a response that basically said "We didn't read your response and have no intention of doing so. Here's a copypasted form with things that literally have nothing to do with what you asked". Had an issue where it said my game was damaged, ran the repair tool and it kept scanning over and over and over without any repairs. On the thread where people are complaining about that, a blizzard employee gave a "helpful" copypasted reply on how to run the repair tool.

I guess I understand the tendency to tune out gamers because gamers are usually terrible people, but they could at least TRY to seem like they're paying attention.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Hadanelith wrote:What an idea. That could never work! A Warcraft strategy game? Madness, I say!

*goes and cries in a corner because he misses old school Warcraft and has no interest in MMO's*
Hell yas!
I played the fuck out of Warcraft 2, and especially Starcraft when that came out.

Still have yet to try Starcraft 2 though. I don't think my laptop can run it.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I might have to check that out. Is it the Freeware version or the entire game?
Full game. All three chapters are separate games (which are all on there). The games I've looked into so far have all been full games, but it's altogether possible there are some Shareware games on there.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Since the doctor has ordered me to stop exercising and sit on my ass more I've been playing WoW. I kind of like the new expansion, I like sending champions and troops out to accomplish objectives. Blizzard should release a strategy game based on World of Warcraft, I'd play that shit.
I'm a bit annoyed by Legion, personally. All progression is time-locked by big fucking chunks of time, on numerous days or even a weekly basis. The only continual progression possible is the daily Emissary Chest, as once you're fully heroic geared (takes basically no time at all) all that's left is Mythics, which have a weekly lockout and take basically no time to complete once you learn them. Raids not released until the 20th of this month (when the expansion launched August 30th), and you can't even complete the Draenor Pathfinder achievement until the next big content patch because one of the quests required for completion isn't in the game yet. (The Pathfinder achievement is for faster mount speed and will eventually lead to Flying in this expansion.)

Oh, and if you actually attempt to progress through anything, you run into roadblocks all over the place, culminating in a 'teaser' quest that basically says "THIS IS A PLACEHOLDER, COME BACK WHEN RAIDS OPEN". It's frustrating to want to progress but being incapable of it because of the artificial delaying going on.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I definitely see what you mean, I didn't see the point of having me do two sets of five missions that took 12 hours, also research for artifact power and class hall upgrades seem glacially slow to me. I also am somewhat annoyed that my level 110 engineering goggle schematics are locked behind a heroic dungeon that I have to grind for rep (and this faction thus far seems stingy with the rep...) Turns out that the rep grind is fairly quick once you get far enough in the story for the zone, but it's a MYTHIC only dungeon instead of a heroic dungeon. Not to mention that I already have something that's much higher level and easier to upgrade (stupid obliteratum being locked behind 4 items that go on the AH for over 20k from three separate crafting skills, none of which I have access to). Also I want to punch Nomi in the dick for burning so much damn food.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is such a pleasure to stomp through, I wonder if Dragon's Dogma Online will ever get a western release
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Have found what looks like a promising Anno Clone to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF_jTH_FJw4
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Shin Megami Persona V: The Phantom Thief first 20 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeK0baTqSZs
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Still no PC port :'(
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

OgreBattle wrote:Shin Megami Persona V: The Phantom Thief first 20 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeK0baTqSZs
You can watch MasterLL play through the game on hard mode on Twitch.

https://www.twitch.tv/themasterll
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@everyone ubisoft is giving away the racing game "the crew" for free on uplay right now.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: