Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Hadanelith wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:In the WH40K Universe.
Why, of all factions, does the Adeptus Mechanicus NOT make any use of Dreadnoughts?
Because Dreadnaughts are Spehss Meringue tech. Only SMs can use them. Because reasons.

Besides, the AdMech got two different reasonably cool mechs in their new books within the last year. Plus actualfax robots. Honestly, SM Dreadnaughts are getting kinda long in the tooth, aesthetically. Why complain?
i am not so much complaining as i am wondering.
the ad mech want to be less and less human and more and more machine right? so put the bit that is left of you that is needed to keep you you into a dreadnought body and call it a day? afterwards you can modify the dreadnought to your liking without much risk to the rest of the fleshy bits right?
Also, the AdMech is somehow still building these things, correct?
So even more reason for them to make use of these things.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Stahlseele wrote: i am not so much complaining as i am wondering.
the ad mech want to be less and less human and more and more machine right? so put the bit that is left of you that is needed to keep you you into a dreadnought body and call it a day? afterwards you can modify the dreadnought to your liking without much risk to the rest of the fleshy bits right?
Also, the AdMech is somehow still building these things, correct?
So even more reason for them to make use of these things.
Couple things; the STC (if there ever was one!) for creating Dreadnoughts is long-lost. So they aren't being built anymore, which means every Dreadnought in the possession of a Space Marine chapter is a treasured relic - or an honored Battle Brother, living on for millennia within its ceramite plating.

Even if they were still capable of being built, the Adeptus Mechanicus wouldn't use them for the same reason most God-Emperor fearing citizens wouldn't dare try to use an Astartes bolter, if they could even pick it up - Astartes relics are gifts of the God-Emperor of Mankind himself, the Omnissiah, and even daring to touch one without being a Space Marine is an unthinkable sin. Merely seeing one is like unto a religious experience. Remember that the Imperium of Man is a morass of superstition, ritual and institutionialized ignorance - especially among the Adeptus Mechanicus, where simple instructions of how to turn on a machine on are considered holy writ.
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

XP for doing stuff is a great system for when you want players to do certain stuff to the exclusion of almost anything else.

Like in AD&D, you get XP for treasure that easily beats your XP for everything else in the game put together, while also being good for adventuring, so players work just as hard to find treasure as you'd expect their characters to, even though there's not all that much to do with it in the game after a while. Random encounters are things you (and your characters) don't want because they don't give out the nice treasures (and thus are poor XP relative to threat). Monsters running away is awesome because now you can steal their treasure without a fight.

In 3e, you get XP for killing monsters, so treasure is just some boring accounting stuff that helps you kill monsters faster, and random encounters are just more stuff to kill for more XP rather that something to avoid. Monsters running away is stupid because you only get XP for them once and they might come back and be worth nothing next time so you may as well kill them now.

If you want characters to seek out certain activities and avoid other activities, then XP for the things they "should" seek and danger from the things they "should" avoid is the way to do it.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Is there a quick fix for D&D3.PF to get rid of multiple attacks from "claw claw bite" and "I have a scimitar in each hand", so you just roll a d20 and that represents the monster/ranger trying to kill you with what they've got?

I figure some combination of a hit bonus, crit bonus range, and crit multiplier can represent a flurry of claws and teeth and that troll rend attack. And then some kind of whirlwind or stomp attack to tail lash everything around you.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

OgreBattle wrote:Is there a quick fix for D&D3.PF to get rid of multiple attacks from "claw claw bite" and "I have a scimitar in each hand", so you just roll a d20 and that represents the monster/ranger trying to kill you with what they've got?

I figure some combination of a hit bonus, crit bonus range, and crit multiplier can represent a flurry of claws and teeth and that troll rend attack. And then some kind of whirlwind or stomp attack to tail lash everything around you.
In Final Fantasy Tactics and my own heartbreaker RPG "Domain" all melee attacks are limited to one or two.
The single attack tends to be more powerful. The payoff is that with two attacks, well, obviously, if one misses you still get a chance with the other.

You'd have to do crit multipliers like this:

• Single (Greater) attack: x4 damage
• Double (Lesser) attacks: x2 damage

In my RPG I made it the golden rule that no one gets more than two attacks in a turn. Not monsters, not fighters, no one.
How that fares for D&D, I don't know, but it would be a lot simpler for things like Pit Fiends that throw in dinky little wing slashes for their full attack routine.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

OgreBattle wrote:Is there a quick fix for D&D3.PF to get rid of multiple attacks from "claw claw bite" and "I have a scimitar in each hand", so you just roll a d20 and that represents the monster/ranger trying to kill you with what they've got?
You could do some probability calculation and have the margin of success on the attack roll determine how many of the individual attacks hit.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

angelfromanotherpin wrote: You could do some probability calculation and have the margin of success on the attack roll determine how many of the individual attacks hit.
I remember someone doing the math on 5e Advantage/Disadvantage and stating that it's equal to +3/-3.

I don't know such arcane things but the math probably gets weird if you add more dice.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

On anydice.com I've found that rolling with disadvantage averages out to -3 but rolling with advantage averages out to +5. Lowest of 2d20 has 49% odds of getting 7 or higher and highest of 2d20 has 51% odds of getting 15 or higher. Can someone explain this witchcraft to me?
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Advantage/Disadvantage is a 3.33 swing, not a 3.00 swing. That plus rounding produces the results you're looking at.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Roog
Master

Post by Roog »

Chamomile wrote:On anydice.com I've found that rolling with disadvantage averages out to -3 but rolling with advantage averages out to +5. Lowest of 2d20 has 49% odds of getting 7 or higher and highest of 2d20 has 51% odds of getting 15 or higher. Can someone explain this witchcraft to me?
The odds of getting a 1,2,3,4,5,or 6 on lowest of 2d20 is same as odds of getting 15,16,17,18,19, or 20 on highest of 2d20.

Remember that you cannot roll a zero, so 10 is not the midpoint on a d20 roll. That should help improve your intuition on dice outcomes.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

For a Claw/Claw/Bite.;

Standard Attack: Claw, +9, 1d6+4, 20/x2.
Full Attack: Claws and Bite, +13, 1d6+4+1d6, 17/x2.

"Claws": as a full attack action, gain +4 to hit and +1d6 bonus damage.
"Bite": when using a full attack action to attack, gain +3 threat range (to 17/x2).

For a Claw/Claw/Rend/Bite.

Standard Attack: Claw, +9, 1d6+4, 20/x2.
Full Attack: Claws and Rend and Bite, +13, 1d6+4+1d6, 14/x3.

"Claws": as a full attack action, gain +4 to hit and +1d6 bonus damage.
"Rend": when using a full attack action to attack, +3 threat range and +1 extra crit multiple (to 17/x3).
"Bite": when using a full attack action to attack, gain +3 threat range (to 14/x3).

For a Bite/Claw/Claw/Etc.

Standard Attack: Bite, +9, 1d6+4, 20/x2.
Full Attack: Claws and Rend, +13, 1d6+4+2d4, 17/x3.

"Claws": as a full attack action, gain +4 to hit and +2d4 bonus damage.
"Rend": when using a full attack action to attack, gain +3 threat range and +1 extra crit muliple (to 17/x3). {Here it represents the extra wing attacks}

Tail can probably remain the secondary attack at -5 with sweepy effects, interesting enough to roll on it's own.

Then just also give them Great Cleave and Whirlwind Attack as regular feats. Note that Cleave is always a standard attack as a follow up, and Whirlwind is a bunch of standard attacks, no bonuses to hit, damage, or critical hits apply.

Multiattack

The most fun thing is probably just have it extend the crit range further, +2 or so.

For a PC with an off-hand weapon ...

Basically, you get +4 to hit and bonus dice of damage equal to the dice of your off-hand weapon, but reduced by the normal penalties for two-weapons fighting. Totals are ...

Normal penalties: -2 to hit.
Off-Hand light: +0 to hit.
TWF Feat: +0 to hit.
TWF Feat and light: +2 to hit.

So our real two-weapon fighting rules are ...

As a full attack, you add the basic damage dice of your off-hand weapon as bonus damage dice, at -2 to hit if off-hand is not a light weapon, and losing any shield bonus to AC if your off-hand weapon provides it.

Two Weapon Fighting Feat: +2 to hit when fighting with two weapons as a full attack.

Flurry of Blows

Replace the Flurry column with ...

When using a full attack action to attack, Monks have full BAB like a Fighter, and gain bonus dice of damage equal to their standard attack dice. At 8th level and above, gain double bonus dice.

Iterative Weapon Attacks

These are always just basic attacks and don't benefit from the bonus damages and such by default rules, unless you change that so they do. Which you probably should for Two Weapon Fighting and not for Claws and Bite and Rends and so on.

Instead of getting a second attack at -5, and then -10, and then -15, which can get pretty heavy on the math, you can just give them +2 to hit for a full attack and let them hit again at the same BAB if they hit, to the limit of their number of iterative attacks. This is mostly better but mostly needs to be better, so is fine.

Lizardman monk two weapon madness!

Sanity check time.

As a full attack, our Lizard monk has full BAB for Monk Flurry, bonus damage from flurry, bonus damage from the off-hand weapon, +2 to hit for iterative attacks, +2 to hit for the TWF feat, and crit increase from the bite.

At 8th level Lizardman Monk: +13+Str+etc, 1d10+Str+etc+2d10+1d6, 17/x2. (where the crit adds 1d10+Str+etc), and if he hits he can attack again because he's got the first iterative attack.

--

That seems, compatible, reasonably easy. What does Two-Weapon Rend do? Probably taking the first attack's critical hit to 14/x3 is fine. I guess where Double Slice improves the range and Two-Weapon Rend adds the multiple, for Pathfinder-scale feats.

In Summary, natural attack sets are +4 to hit and bonus dice damage for decent ones, with 17-20/x2 crits for the extra wings or bite or whatever else is weaker, and that stacks.

Unusally strong monsters would need bigger bonus dice of damage, and they also need Feats for taking down hordes, but it's close enough for munching on PCs. A bit softer against low-AC types perhaps.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

That explains some of the gap, but not quite all of it. 10.5 - 3.33 is 7.17, or near enough 7 as makes no odds. 10.5 + 3.33 is 13.83, or near enough 14 as makes no odds. But how does that get me up to 15, then?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Chamomile wrote:Lowest of 2d20 has 49% odds of getting 7 or higher and highest of 2d20 has 51% odds of getting 15 or higher. Can someone explain this witchcraft to me?
You're looking at the opposite parts of the probability. When you look at rolling at least a 7 on the lowest of 2d20 you get 49%. To find the name number, you look at the chance of rolling at most a 14 on the highest of 2d20. If you look at the chances of rolling at least 15 on the highest of 2d20 you get 51%, which is the same chance of rolling at most a 6 on 2d20.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I've had a couple of ideas for D&D that would be served by letting characters choose the domains they have access to daily. But I'm iffy about this.

Would it be a significant power increase to Clerics to let them pray to a different god each day to choose a new pair of domains to get spells from that day?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak wrote:I've had a couple of ideas for D&D that would be served by letting characters choose the domains they have access to daily. But I'm iffy about this.

Would it be a significant power increase to Clerics to let them pray to a different god each day to choose a new pair of domains to get spells from that day?
I mean... yes...

Also no. Since like most things, you can already do that. There's like, a second level cleric spell that lets you trade out domains for 1 day per CL, so you can just change your domains pretty much whenever. Technically, you still need to worship a god that grants those domains, so you probably want to like, change worship and atone or something?

Read the part about "Being a Cleric" that I wrote for my Kaelik Cleric, that's what I consider a perfectly reasonable switch out system that doesn't really power them up any appreciable amount.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, one idea I had was the Psychonaut, a class based on Chaos Magic where the entire idea would be their ability to change their spell access on the fly, or at least day to day. I'll have to think of a way to make that balance out. Probably by having far fewer spell slots or something.

The other was just idly thinking about D&D in an asian fantasy setting with as little extra work as necessary. So a lot of reflufffing but little in the way of whole cloth work. In such a setting, it would make sense for the "cleric" to be able to pray to a different spirit each day for different domains. Maybe it would work to break the spell list into mega-domains and saying they only have access to a portion of it at a time?

I like your non-vancian classes, but my players are dumb and don't like using den stuff.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

A friend is starting up his campaign again, and I convinced him to let me use a couple of Tome classes to play my old "I don't need no stinking weapons" Thri Kreen assassin concept. Then we took off two weeks after a chargen meet up because I had stupid shit come up so of course I want to change characters. I've started watching One Punch Man in that time, and am sort of wanting to play a character inspired by Saitama.

Now, the obvious thing to do in basing a character off of Saitama is go monk not fucking touch monk with a ten foot cock. I'm leaning towards duskblade, since it looks fun, has full BAB and decent-looking casting and I can channel shit in punches. I'm also leaning towards Frank's Grappling Wizard build. Now, strictly, there's no real reason I could apply most of that build to a Duskblade. The only potential problem I see is spell selection.

Is Duskblade actually good, or is it like Monk in that it's a shiny, shiny damned lie?
Last edited by Prak on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Greater Mighty Wallop + Superior Unarmed Strike approaches Garou levels of fisting. Just make sure you have a backup band blasting POWAA GET ZA POWAAAAA when you wind up to fist people.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Or, on top of the Mighty Wallop tree, add Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike, both feats. Add Eldritch Blast damage + Unarmed damage as claws, then add all that back onto your Unarmed strikes. So, most conservative reading would be GMW+UD+EB, most RAW is, IMO, GMW+UD+EB+GMW+UD. Which makes shit explode. If all you want is melee damage, that's not a bad build. And since Eldritch Claws locks out Blast Essence and Blast Shape, just stack utility invocations, and you're a character who's not a total embarrassment. (Because yes, I wanted Monk to work too. So badly. And this is sorta close!)

Edit: Links
http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/fe ... itch_Claws

http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/feat/Beast_Strike
Last edited by Whiysper on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Duskblade is kind of lame. Their "big" class feature doesn't really work with many of their spells (it has to be a spell with a range of Touch, not just any spell that uses a Touch Attack or Ranged Touch Attack), they have kind of shitty Save DCs (not full casters + MAD), they don't hit as often as "proper" fighting men (MAD) unless they use all their Quick-Casts on True Strike, and overall their spell list is a bit thin. And just for laughs, you can't charge and spell-stab at the same time, so you don't get to Quick-Cast True Strike then do a charging Leap Attack Power Attack thing while you Channel.

They can be okay at the "run up and do heaps of damage" thing (Channel Shocking Grasp + Spellstoring Weapon with Scorching Ray + Arcane Strike + Blade of Blood, Quick-Cast it if it's not already Swift). And they do get the kind of shitty Swift Fly and so on which can bail you out in a pinch. You might find that it's enough to get you through fights.

But it's not great.

Also it's completely unable to do the Grapplemancer thing. Specifically: even if you burn a feat on Obtain Familiar to get the +3 or 4 from a pet Octopus, you're not doubling that because only an Elf Wizard gets to double the Familiar Bonus because fuck you. Also you don't have Girallon's Blessing, Fuse Arms, Bladeweave, Fearsome Grapple, Balor Nimbus, Babau Slime, Hamatula Barbs, the tentacle spell that makes you a better grappler, and of course the easy mode spell Polymorph.
Last edited by Koumei on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I decided to go with straight elf wizard precisely because of the spell selection. The campaign I'll be playing in has feats every odd level and buying feats for 4 skill points each, but even then, there's more profitable uses of that bullshit than buying good grapplemancer spells with Extra Spell. Between Frank's build and a few dumpster picks guided by a grapple handbook, basically my character just suplexes fucks with 3d6 electric touch attacks.

Now I'm just trying to decide whether the loss in hp is worth the increase in Int and the hilarity of playing a venerable elf wizard grapplemancer.
Last edited by Prak on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak wrote:I decided to go with straight elf wizard precisely because of the spell selection. The campaign I'll be playing in has feats every odd level and buying feats for 4 skill points each, but even then, there's more profitable uses of that bullshit than buying good grapplemancer spells with Extra Spell. Between Frank's build and a few dumpster picks guided by a grapple handbook, basically my character just suplexes fucks with 3d6 electric touch attacks.

Now I'm just trying to decide whether the loss in hp is worth the increase in Int and the hilarity of playing a venerable elf wizard grapplemancer.
Goddam I have no idea why you wouldn't build a bullshit Fire Orb Metamagic spammer in a system that let you start the game at level 1 with 6 feats and gain another feat every level.

I mean yeah, you would actually put ranks in Spellcraft and Concentration (and fuck all nothing else?) while you buy all the feats in the entire game that can be voltroned together to make your Arcane Thesis spell an instant murder, and then every odd level you can take Arcane Thesis on a new spell if there is a better one.

Or heck, just be a super mega meldshaper at the same time as your character.

In fact, since you are grapplemancing, you need to spend feats on Essentia, Shape Soulmeld, and improved Capacity, I think Girillian Arms the meld gives another fuck off grapple bonus that you can add for some feats?

By taking the feats Shape Soulmeld(Girillion Arms), Improved Capacity(Giriallion Arms), Essentia Reflex (or whatever), and Bonus Essentia, at level 6 you can have a +8 Competence bonus to Grapple. Now, I don't know off the top of my head if a Competence bonus to grapple spell exists, but if not you should consider that.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

We're actually starting at level 6...

I originally built a "thri kreen" (custom negotiated LA 0 four armed bug race) Spherelock1/Soulborn5 that basically just ran around ganking people with four conjured attacks (because I like the idea) and around that we wound up with ...some flavor of arcane caster from my Minmaxer friend, a Tome Thief Acrobat and a PFAlchemist.

Then we got put off for two weeks because of dumb shit happening in my life and other people not being able to shift to Wednesday, and I thought "it'd be fun to play a character like Saitama" and feel like I should stick with a martialist. To not show up the wizard my Minmaxer friend is playing in a special snowflake "let me have my dumb cinematic removing the power limiter scenes" way, if not for any actual need for a DMF sort.

I already picked up Shape Soulmeld (Lightning Gauntlets) and Bonus Essentia and was strongly considering picking up Shape Soulmeld (Girallon Arms) as well, especially if I decided to go into advanced age categories for the fuck of it (and the Int bonus).

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

OH GOD INT BONUSES GIVE YOU MORE FEATS, BE AT LEAST OLD!

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Actually, that raises a question- what's the best balance of spell selection and skill points available at 6th level? I mean, if there was a reasonable way to get good combat spells on, say, a bard, that would be amazing.