Let's Play: Challenge of the Magi: Mage1

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The path winds this way and that until the beautiful music is no more than a memory. The silence of the forest is becoming oppressive when you come face to face with a vision of perfect beauty. A woman clad only in a gossamer green veil stands beside a green pool, combing her hair languidly. You are instantly charmed by her shy smile but your magical training warns you to be careful. She beckons to you gracefully and as you walk towards her you are suprised to see that she wears a magnificent bejewelled diadem upon her brow. It has a diamond, two rubies and three emeralds, just like the fabled Diadem of Rulership fashioned by the great sorceror Spellbinder to aid him in his sorcery. She senses your interest in the diadem and walks to a great willow tree that shades the pool. Before you can stop her she has somehow disappeared inside the great trunk. She must be a tree nymph or dryad.

WAIT(13)

If you wish to obtain the Diadem, turn to 489. If you would rather Invoke the Portals you may do so here. Where will you explore next: the Rainbow Inn, the Citadel of the Skull, the Silvered Spires, or the Phoenix Crag?

There is a picture here
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Thu May 18, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

As an aside, there is a real Forest of Arden in England. This book was published in 1986, so possibly you've wandered into the real world and the woman is then British PM Margaret Thatcher, assuming she was secretly a dryad.

While you are pondering this, however:

Suddenly, everything goes dark around you and you find yourself standing in a clearing beneath ferns and tall elms. Just yards away from you is your opponent. A flock of pretty coloured songbirds take flight and leave you to settle your battle alone. You may describe your appearance to your opponent now, the colour of your robes and your class. You should also tell your opponent what artefacts you are carrying. You may also exchange insults and epithets such as "Thy final hour is come, thou lily-livered puppy dog."

Your opponent is "Vert Greene" the druid. They have the Eye of Flame ruby. They also carry two human thigh bones you recognise as the Sacred Relics.

They will go first (chosen randomly)
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

"You're on my turf now, sorceror. Prepare to eat your greens."

"My arms are spread wide as I cast the direst dweomer from which there is no protection. The vines that festoon the tree behind you come to life and grow until they are entwined around you. You struggle but there is nothing you can do and I shall do with you whatever I desire. You are pinned helplessly."

(You'll have to wait and see what they do to you while you are helpless)
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

"I speak the Ritual of Summoning and before you can do anything a dark mass of insects pours out of the grass and trees from all sides. Soldier ants, cockroaches, poisonous spiders and scimitar beetles crawl over you within seconds."

Being entwined in vines you can't use the counterspell:

You can do nothing to evade the insects, and they swarm all over you, crawling and biting. Lose 3 LPs. From now on, all spells you cast will cost double the CPs, as you are badly distracted, until you can bathe in the Fountain of Life in the Greenwood, which will dispose of the insect swarm. Read this out:

"Stumbling back in a hopeless attempt to avoid the horde of insects, I am engulfed, covered in a mass of crawling insects. They bite continuously, causing me great pain."

This is an area of green magic, and no other. You may cast Tanglevines. Or you may flee.

(The wording for physical combat is that you can't try that if you are able to use magic instead)
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Tanglevines and attack.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Summoning all your reserves of concentration you cast the terrible spell known as Tanglevines. There is no counterspell known even to the most puissant mages that can bar the effects of this spell. Read the following to your opponent:

"My arms are spread wide as I cast the direst dweomer from which there is no protection. The vines that festoon the tree behind you come to life and grow until they are entwined around you. You struggle but there is nothing you can do and I shall do with you whatever I desire. You are pinned helplessly."

You attack your opponent with your weapon for 6 LPs of damage before he is freed

The spell costs you 3 CPs normally (according to the rues in the beginning of the book, doesn't specify here), which is doubled because you are wearing spiders.

Leaving you on 7 CPs and 17 LPs.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Your opponent has turned to flee and is even now feverishly Invoking the Portals. Read out the following:

"Aha, so you realise you cannot stand against my awesome might, worm. I take from my pack a phial of acid and hurl it towards your vanishing back. The phial smashes and the vitriol courses down your back as you step through the portal, burning you horribly.

When you emerge in the next land you find terrible burns and weals mar your skin. Roll one dice to find out how many Life Points you have lost. If you still live, you must decide which avenue of retreat you have taken: to the Citadel of the Skull, the Phoenix Crags, the Silvered Spires, or the Rainbow Inn."

You stand alone in the trees. You may explore the forest, or, if you wish to Invoke the Portals, perhaps in the hope of catching up with your craven opponent, you may do so and choose your destination. Will it be the Citadel of the Skull, the Phoenix Crags, the Silvered Spires or the Rainbow Inn?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Explore the forest, same path as before. Let's ask Maggie Thatcher to fork over her crown.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The portal disappears behind you and you find yourself surrounded by trees at the centre of a small clearing. The sun beats down but within the trees is a dark gloom. It is silent in the clearing and you feel alone, far from the security of your fellow men and their dwellings. Although you can hear nothing the Forest feels full of lie, full of unseen eyes spying on you. This is a place enchanted with green magic, a place where nature is untouched by man.

The tinkling of bells and piping of flutes reaches you, strangely bright and clear through the trees. Two muddy tracks leave the clearing. One leads off in the direction from which you think the music is coming from, the other disappears into the gloom in the opposite direction.

WAIT(14)

Will you take the path towards the sound of music, the gloomier path, or Invoke the Portals and go to the Citadel of the Skull, the Rainbow Inn, the Silvered Spires or the Phoenix Crags?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Gloom.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The path winds this way and that until the beautiful music is no more than a memory. The silence of the forest is becoming oppressive when you come face to face with a vision of perfect beauty. A woman clad only in a gossamer green veil stands beside a green pool, combing her hair languidly. You are instantly charmed by her shy smile but your magical training warns you to be careful. She beckons to you gracefully and as you walk towards her you are suprised to see that she wears a magnificent bejewelled diadem upon her brow. It has a diamond, two rubies and three emeralds, just like the fabled Diadem of Rulership fashioned by the great sorceror Spellbinder to aid him in his sorcery. She senses your interest in the diadem and walks to a great willow tree that shades the pool. Before you can stop her she has somehow disappeared inside the great trunk. She must be a tree nymph or dryad.

WAIT(15)

If you wish to obtain the Diadem, turn to 389. If you would rather Invoke the Portals you may do so here. Where will you explore next: the Rainbow Inn, the Citadel of the Skull, the Silvered Spires, or the Phoenix Crag?

The dryad will not give up the diadem. She has no idea what it can do but she loves the sparkling stones that catch the light so prettily. You cannot open up the tree or reach the Diadem in any way. Your only chance of taking it is to set fire to the tree and the dryad within. If you decided to collect some dead wood and start a fire at the base of the willow you may. Otherwise, all you can do is Invoke the Portals.

WAIT(16)

If you wish to start the fire, turn to 409. If not, where will you explore next: the Rainbow Inn, the Citadel of the Skull, the Silvered Spires, or the Phoenix Crags?
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Mon May 22, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

This... seems like a horrible idea, but burn the tree.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The dry wood burns easily and before long the trunk of the willow smokes and then catches fire. There is a scream from the dryad within the tree and the Diadem is thrown out to land at your feet. You pick up the Diadem of Rulership as the tree-nymph implores you to put out the fire. It is too late. The fire has taken hold and the branches of the tree have become a canopy of flame. You are forced back by the heat and the flames from the willow become the dryad's funeral pyre. You walk into the trees, her screams still ringing in your brain. Record the codeword RADIUM. You crown yourself with the Diadem and Invoke the Portals.

WAIT(17)

Where will you explore next: the Rainbow Inn, the Citadel of the Skull, the Silvered Spires or the Phoenix Crags?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Well. That was awful. Watch as I don't even win the damn duel now.

After getting the diadem, but before that Wait, I'll teleport to the Greenwood so I can wash off the spiders, if not my guilt.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

(It says any time outside combat, so I guess you can teleport before the wait)

You appear in a rich, dark forest. All around stretches row upon row of trees, shrouded in gloomy darkness. The air is resonant with a sharp smell of many woodland animals. The forest seems wholesome enough, but you feel claustrophobic in the close confines of the thickly covered trees. From the moment you arrive you know the place is utterly devoid of magic.

A thin forest trail heads away ahead of you and a densely-wooded hill rises to the left. At the base of the hill i a cave mouth.

You can follow the trail, climb the hill, plunge into the wood to your right or enter the cave. Before you make your decision, you must wait(17)
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Into the woods!

No, wait. Climb the hill.

...trail. Final answer.
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Tue May 23, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You follow the woodland trail. After a short time, it opens into a clearing, the sunlight bright and clear. In the middle of the clearing is a fountain, sculptured in stone to portray a leaping dolphin, from whose mouth flows clear clean water. If you are under the effects of a spell of Creeping Doom, you may bathe in the fountain to rid yourself of the crawling insects but the crystal clean water will not restore any LPs. If you wish to drink from the fountain, WAIT(18), then turn to 663. Otherwise you may Invoke the Portals and travel to the Caverns of Perdition or the Tower of Immutable Paradox.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

However, before you can do anything:

Suddenly, everything grows dark around you and you find yourself standing inside the circle of standing stones. Just yards away from you is your opponent. The druids of the Sacred Grove realize that an important battle in the quest to find a new Duelmaster is to be fought here and they will not hinder you in any way. Within moments they have disappeared into the trees.

You may describe your appearance to your opponent now, the colour of your robes and your class. You should also tell your opponent what artefacts you are carrying. You may exchange insults and epithets now such as 'Pah! I shall cast you into the nether regions where you belong, pride-puffed bladderfish.'

Last edited by Thaluikhain on Wed May 24, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Drink.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Actually, your drinking paragraph is shorter than their section, so I guess you'd have time to drink before being whisked away.

The water is wholesome and refreshing. It has magical properties that galvanize your body. Restore up to 4 LPs and 3 CPs. Moments later you find yourself in the Nexus...only you don't because:

Suddenly, everything grows dark around you and you find yourself standing inside the circle of standing stones. Just yards away from you is your opponent. The druids of the Sacred Grove realize that an important battle in the quest to find a new Duelmaster is to be fought here and they will not hinder you in any way. Within moments they have disappeared into the trees.

You may describe your appearance to your opponent now, the colour of your robes and your class. You should also tell your opponent what artefacts you are carrying. You may exchange insults and epithets now such as 'Pah! I shall cast you into the nether regions where you belong, pride-puffed bladderfish.'

Your opponent is "Vert Greene" the druid. They have the Eye of Flame ruby. They also carry two human thigh bones you recognise as the Sacred Relics.

Last edited by Thaluikhain on Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Oh, fuck. I think I'm about to be murdered by an archangel. And after the dryad, it serves me right.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Well, that would be a good opportunity for some dramatic last words:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Dryads on fire in the Sacred Grove. I watched basilisks glitter in the dark in the Phoenix Crags. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."

More seriously, yeah, I'd forgotten how bad the dryad bit was. It's very different in tone from anything else I remember in the book. There's people and things described as evil, but not in much depth.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You've been Tanglevines-ed

'Holding aloft the Sacred Relics, I speak the Ritual of Summonng and before you can do anything a bright figure starts to take shape before you. It is a powerfully built man with the wings of a great eagle, an Archangel. The Archangel is blindingly-light and it flies forward to attack you with a cross-shaped silver hammer.'

You cannot resist the Archangel. Read this out:

"I quail in terror before the god-like power of the Archangel. It flies up above me and its presence alone sears my soul. I gibber and plea with it but to no avail - my soul departs my body. I am slain. You have won."
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

New Character:
Name: Boner the Necromancer
Starting Location: House of Mausolus
HP 20/20
CP 14/14
Class: Necromancer (Inner Sanctum in Citadel of the Skull)
Greater Magics: 3 black (The Blight of Desponde, The Finger of Death*, The Deathknight) 2 red (Immolation, Spirit of Flame), 1 blue (Feeblemind)
Counterspells: Mouth of the Void, Tower of Indomitable Will, Absorption, Extinguish, Wall of Ice, Iron Maiden
Lesser Magics: 2 Raise the Dead, 3 Heal, 1 Dispel Trap

Spellbook

Black

The Blight of Desponde
Causes your enemy's flesh to putrefy.
Cost: 3 CP
Damage: 4 (Caverns), 4 damage 1 cp (tower)

The Finger of Death*
Causes the target's heart to stop beating. You cannot cast this spell unless you have the Sceptre of Doom.
Cost: 2 CP

The Deathknight
Summons an undead warrior to attack your enemy.
Cost: 1 CP

Red

Immolation
Causes your enemy to burst momentarily into flames.
Cost: 3 CP

Spirit of Flame
Summons a fire elemental to engulf your enemy. It may also destroy objects.
Damage: 5

Blue

Feeblemind
Drains your enemy's power to cast spells.
[/b]
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Sat May 27, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You find yourself in a tall dark room of cold black marble. You know immediately that this is a place without magic. White pillars march around the edge and the middle of the room is taken up with row upon row of stone slabs. On the slabs rest naked corpses, cold and still. You have arrived in the House of Mausolus, the place of the dead, where heroes and people of import in the Rainbow Land lie preserved in death for ever. Beside you stairs lead down to the crypt. Will you go down into the crypt, investigate the bodies, examine the small shrine dedicated to some god or other nearby, or Invoke the Portals and go either to the Caverns of Perdition or the Phoenix Crags. In any case you must WAIT before you do so.