The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Brexistentialism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zugschef
Knight-Baron


Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 754

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The most important fact to remember about the brexit is that it was a public opinion poll. Its result was not binding and it still isn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 953

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

zugschef wrote:
The most important fact to remember about the brexit is that it was a public opinion poll. Its result was not binding and it still isn't.


The lib dems are the only party that sees it that way, and they're never going to do a coalition again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
hyzmarca
Prince


Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 3448

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FrankTrollman wrote:

Brexit doesn't weaken the hand of the austerians, it strengthens it! Theresa May is a hardcore austerian and she now gets to pay for her gifts to rich people however she fucking wants. And that means huge cuts to public services and rollbacks of EU worker protections and restrictions on access to healthcare to poor people. That's what it means to reduce the size of the EU. You get absolutely nothing of what you claim to want and the fascists win. Actual fascists. Actual winning. And we all lose, and you're still a fucking idiot for ever supporting any part of this. Because it was always completely obvious that this is the direction it was going.

-Frank


Don't insult actual Fascists, Frank. Italy Under Mussolini implemented massive welfare, food assistance, and health care programs. Real Fascists are paternalistic, and that means that they feel that they have a responsibility to take care of the people.

The "Fuck You, I Got Mine" attitude is generally Right-Libertarian. Fascism is infinitely preferable to that.


Last edited by hyzmarca on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Starmaker
Duke


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 2330
Location: Redmonton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hyzmarca wrote:
Don't insult actual Fascists, Frank. Itally Under Mussolini implemented massive welfare, food assistance, and health care programs. Real Fascists are paternalistic, and that means that they feel have a responsibility to take care of the people.

The "Fuck You, I Got Mine" attitude is generally Right-Libertarian. Fascism is infinitely preferable to that.

What is Russia, then?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
OgreBattle
King


Joined: 03 Sep 2011
Posts: 5094

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Was Chiang Kai Shek's Republic of China fascist?
Was 1900's Japan fascist?

I generally hear fascism applied to 20th century west, but I'm not sure if it applies to early 20th century Asia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 12085

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

zugschef wrote:
The most important fact to remember about the brexit is that it was a public opinion poll. Its result was not binding and it still isn't.


While the poll was never binding and isn't now, I think May passed something through parliament triggering article 50 a bit ago, so Germany has a coherent position that Article 50 is triggered and the UK will be gone in 2 years (or whatever the time is) now.
_________________
"DSMatticus" wrote:
Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
zugschef
Knight-Baron


Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 754

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Theoretically. But right now May doesn't think they have to pay anything and the EU commission is thinking of figures around 70 billion euros. Also, Airbus is threatening the UK with moving to European mainland if there is any chance that their employees have any kind of trouble with their visa. You can bet that Airbus won't be the last company doing so.

Realistically the Brexit won't be fully done before the Brits had two more elections (since they are already talking about yet another early election).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 12085

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

zugschef wrote:
Theoretically. But right now May doesn't think they have to pay anything and the EU commission is thinking of figures around 70 billion euros. Also, Airbus is threatening the UK with moving to European mainland if there is any chance that their employees have any kind of trouble with their visa. You can bet that Airbus won't be the last company doing so.

Realistically the Brexit won't be fully done before the Brits had two more elections (since they are already talking about yet another early election).


I mean... Yes lots of shit about Brexit, but Germany is basically holding trade/immigration deals hostage for 70 billion, not exit. Germany is going to force a withdrawal as punishment to prevent others.

I'm saying the UK backing out of Brexit is not a thing they can choose to do anymore, where they used to be able to, because the referendum was non binding and had no authority, but the parliament passed a thing, so we are past the point about caring whether it was binding.
_________________
"DSMatticus" wrote:
Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
hyzmarca
Prince


Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 3448

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starmaker wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:
Don't insult actual Fascists, Frank. Itally Under Mussolini implemented massive welfare, food assistance, and health care programs. Real Fascists are paternalistic, and that means that they feel have a responsibility to take care of the people.

The "Fuck You, I Got Mine" attitude is generally Right-Libertarian. Fascism is infinitely preferable to that.

What is Russia, then?


Russia is just Russia. No matter what system they have, it's terrible.

Monarchy, terrible. Communism, better than the Monarchy, except for the mass murders. Democracy, worse than Communism, but fewer mass murders.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zugschef
Knight-Baron


Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 754

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can reverse anything with enough votes, especially if it's not constitutional. This particular votum didn't even need more than 51% of all members of the parliament if i recall correctly. I'm not so sure that they won't reconsider. They might have to if they want to save their economy.

Last edited by zugschef on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 27147

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No the point is that at this point the UK can't reverse anything with enough votes because they've already sent the Article 50 Letter to the European Parliament. At this point the only thing the UK can do is to present possible deals to the rest of Europe and beg them to ratify them in less than 2 years despite the fact that the treaties they are meant to replace took decades to negotiate.

The UK is completely fucked. Right now the people of the UK are living in a bizarre fantasy world where they have lots of negotiating power and a bunch fo serious adults in charge who are going to fix everything, but they don't. They don't have any of that.

Article 50 was never meant to be invoked. But it has been invoked and now all it does is give a hard deadline for when a bunch of treaties expire. That's fucking it. The UK has given itself a hard deadline by which they have to speed date every other country in Europe.

-Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Omegonthesane
Duke


Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Posts: 2010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The writer of Article 50 is convinced that you absolutely can revoke your invocation of Article 50, deciding after seeing which way the wind is blowing that actually you'd rather stick around. I don't think there's been an official ruling from the EU lawyers to the contrary, though this would presumably invalidate any negotiations you'd done up to that point rather than being a means to extend the deadline.

To my knowledge it is not in the EU's interest to obstruct a country that, having triggered Article 50, wants to forsake that invocation and cancel their exit altogether. After all, if a country has prominently declared they want to leave, having them go back on that decision sends the message that leaving the EU is a Bad Idea without having to weaken ties with an EU trading partner. Nor am I aware of any legal obligation upon them to do that.

The Tories have promised to just let the treaties expire. They have repeated a definitionally false mantra that "no deal is better than a bad deal" knowing that the EU will never offer them a deal that is even worse than a trainwreck departure. They know they have no negotiating chips*, so their plan is to not negotiate.

* except destroying the Republic of Ireland's economy, which for some reason they're not keen to mention...
_________________
Kaelik wrote:
Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.
FrankTrollman wrote:
As far as death and human misery goes, Tobacco is basically World War II grinding on forever with no real sign of stopping in our life times. Death camps and nuclear bombs and stuff are certainly dramatic, but public health crises are always and forever bigger than wars on the global scale.

FrankTrollman wrote:
White people are basically just horrible...The entire Reagan Revolution is just white people voting to destroy their own social safety nets because they'd rather fucking starve than let black people eat.



Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zugschef
Knight-Baron


Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 754

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Article 50 is so obscure that it is definitely not set in stone that it can't be revoked. And the EU would absolutely let them do that. It could actually be the only chance to keep the union stable. The Brits gave all the far right-wing parties all over Europe -- who almost all want to leave the EU -- an example for their campaigns.

They are losing most elections in the western countries eventually (see Austria, France) but Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic are really on the verge to becoming sham democracies. As soon as they don't receive a net sum from the EU anymore, they will try to leave.

All that has been a theory so far. With the Brexit, it's become a possible reality.


Last edited by zugschef on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:09 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Parthenon
Knight-Baron


Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Posts: 908

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It just keeps getting worse and worse. Why can't Farage and UKIP just go into obscurity and be ignored.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/12/nigel-farage-to-gain-brexit-role-under-dup-conservative-deal--reports.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Omegonthesane
Duke


Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Posts: 2010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't find any British sources reporting that, and while the DUP tick some ways of being evil that the Tories misesd, they really don't want a hard border with the RoI so are unlikely to want Nigel Fucking Farage anywhere near Brexit negotiations.
_________________
Kaelik wrote:
Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.
FrankTrollman wrote:
As far as death and human misery goes, Tobacco is basically World War II grinding on forever with no real sign of stopping in our life times. Death camps and nuclear bombs and stuff are certainly dramatic, but public health crises are always and forever bigger than wars on the global scale.

FrankTrollman wrote:
White people are basically just horrible...The entire Reagan Revolution is just white people voting to destroy their own social safety nets because they'd rather fucking starve than let black people eat.



Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zugschef
Knight-Baron


Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 754

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The tories are dumber than I thought: they are trying to pressure the EU by trying to set up a trade/economic relationship with the US. Alternatively they want to join NAFTA. They honestly think that the US will give them what the EU wouldn't (and they've already had a whole bunch of special liberties compared to all other members). And everybody knows that they are desperate. A not so great position to be in for these types of negotiations to say the least.

On top of that they are still members of the EU. These negotiations are basically illegal. These idiots won't like Germany/France's response.

https://twitter.com/tradegovuk/status/876385815630422017


Last edited by zugschef on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 27147

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The tories are dumber than I thought


Why, it's almost like supporting plans drawn up by neo-fascists and supported by anti-western dictatorships is a terrible idea. Who could have possibly known?!

DSM wrote:
There are things we can do to stem the tide of conservatism and fascism - and one of those things is elect leftists and run up the scoreboard with victories. That could have happened in Portugal, but it didn't, because the EU didn't want it to. That could have happened in Greece, but it didn't, because the EU didn't want it to. I suspect if I spent the time researching Ireland, Italy, and Spain, I would see either very similar stories or deeply corrupt and conservative countries whose problems run far too fucking deep (cough Italy cough) to be explained in the context of a single crisis.


I missed responding to this insane rant because I was in the middle of a 12 day work week. But holy shit, no.

Your super genius plan of dividing shit up until there are times and areas that leftists can win in is called "Letting the South Win The Civil War." It is not actually a super genius plan and doesn't make the world a better place.

If you divide shit up into small pieces you don't get to spread the word of social democracy, you get to have large parts of the planet descend into savagery, slavery, and genocide.We've had nice little Scandinavian social democracies sitting around making massive gains in human social wellbeing for their few million people and they haven't managed to export their way of life very much. Neo-fascist countries like Hungary have managed to export white nationalist terrorists to Norway, but Norway hasn't managed to impose its ideas on land mine bans on anyone.

If you divide things up into smaller pieces you'll be able to win some fights that you otherwise wouldn't be able to. But much more often you'll lose fights that you otherwise wouldn't.

See the big problem with fights over small areas is that they are easy for small groups of rich people to gain undue influence over. That's why we do so much worse in Montana than we do in New York. It's not that there isn't more money in New York, it's that individual groups of rich crackpots just have an easier time dominating politics in a small pool of 1 million people than it is to push things around in a populous area of nearly 20 million people.

The Greek problem is much more complicated than the fact that they were borrowing in Euros and foreign banks were able to twist their arms. Or rather, it's exactly that simple and the country not being in the Eurozone wouldn't have stopped that problem from happening. If Greece wasn't in the Eurozone, they still wouldn't be doing their foreign borrowing denominated in Dinars, because no one fucking does international lending in Dinars.

The only reason we were able to talk about Greece leaving the Eurozone as a possible solution to the debt crisis was that their debts were denominated in Euros and their national currency was denominated in Euros and if they left the zone they could do a one-time declaration that the debts were redominated into Dinars along with everything else. If they had been on Dinars the whole time, the debts would be in Dollars, Francs, and Euros and they'd have no outs at all. It would have been like the Thai Bhat crisis of 1997 or any other foreign debt deleveraging crisis you care to name from the last hundred years.

Yes, the Eurozone is run as a defacto gold standard and that's fucking retarded, but for little countries like Greece, Ireland, and Portugal that's not actually different from having to borrow in outright foreign currency - which is absolutely what they'd have to do if they weren't part of a monetary union.

As an American you get to chuckle and chortle about how many advantages you have by having your own currency that's reasonably well managed. And yes, that's true. But that's only a thing because you're in a big and very tightly united empire. The United States has a GDP 50% larger than the Euro Area, so the individual states of the USA are very much beholden to the Dollar in exactly the same way as individual countries are beholden to the Euro. Exactly the same. Even more so, in fact, because the Dollar is more entrenched and most states don't even have a single representative on the controlling board of the Federal Reserve. The issue is only that the Federal Reserve system is older and the Dollar is better managed than the Euro system. That and there is a stronger federal government that provides cash transfers to states that have economic problems.

The problem facing Portugal is not that it is too integrated into the rest of Europe. It's that it's not integrated enough.

-Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DSMatticus
Prince


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4944

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FrankTrollman wrote:
Your super genius plan of dividing shit up until there are times and areas that leftists can win in is called "Letting the South Win The Civil War." It is not actually a super genius plan and doesn't make the world a better place.

If you divide shit up into small pieces you don't get to spread the word of social democracy, you get to have large parts of the planet descend into savagery, slavery, and genocide.We've had nice little Scandinavian social democracies sitting around making massive gains in human social wellbeing for their few million people and they haven't managed to export their way of life very much. Neo-fascist countries like Hungary have managed to export white nationalist terrorists to Norway, but Norway hasn't managed to impose its ideas on land mine bans on anyone.

If you divide things up into smaller pieces you'll be able to win some fights that you otherwise wouldn't be able to. But much more often you'll lose fights that you otherwise wouldn't.

The super genius plan is not for all seven billion people on the planet to go their separates ways and live in isolated communes, where, like, everything is free, man, and we all just, like, work together, you know? The super genius plan is to identify the institutions which advance conservative causes and reform them or replace them, because we should not support conservatism in its fight to ruin the world and our lives. So the actual fucking discussion is entirely about to what extent the EU supports conservative and progressive values, to what extent it can be reformed to do less of the former and more of the latter, and if there is no viable way to do that then what is the least painful way to replace it. Well, the EU has done nothing of substance to stem the actual rise of actual fascism and the erosion of civil liberties in some of its member states. It has used its authority to bludgeon individual state governments to economic collapse for daring to advance progressive economics as a solution to global crises. It has set monetary and fiscal standards which are deeply harmful to basically everyone that isn't Germany. It has encouraged the dismantling of public health services whenever given leverage to do so.

There are a lot of coherent responses you could make to that, and I don't think you have ever actually found a single one of them in any of our discussions about this shit. It is always bullshit strawmen. For fuck's sake, you interpreted a specific condemnation of the EU as a broad condemnation of federalization in order to suggest that I am pro-states rights and therefore apathetic to the existence of the Confederate States of America. Alternative interpretation; specific condemnations of the EU for being a harmful federal government do not suggest an underlying opposition to federal governments, and instead suggest an underlying opposition to harmful governments - harmful governments like the Confederate States of America, perhaps. So, what could you have done instead of chaining a PL-tier strawmanning shitpost into a slavery-themed application of Godwin's law?

You could have just been wrong, and disagreed that those things were happening at all.

You could have just declared that the parts you like (open borders, minimum regulatory standards) are worth letting conservatism destroy countries. And that would make you a stupid asshole because the basis for those things was successfully implemented before the eurozone even existed, and there is no dependency. The EU treaties have been renegotiated both piecemeal and in entirety several times, and we should be talking about doing that again because guess fucking what the eurozone isn't working. It demonstrably is not working. For fuck's sake, remember the Great Depression? Imagine what the Great Depression would have been like if during FDR's first term a conspiracy between foreign governments, the United States federal reserve, and a coalition of banks and private enterprises had orchestrated an even deeper collapse of the banking system, driving the democratic party into the woods and putting a Hoover 2.0 back in charge almost immediately? Because that is almost literally what the EU is doing to Greece and anyone else it can! Their unilateral demands for austerity and willingness to crush leftwing governments in order to get it is driving progressives into the woods and the left into the center. And because of assholes like you, it isn't even manifesting in significant leftwing backlash against the EU that might flip it or put pressure on it to change course.

We could have an argument about the difficulty of reforming the EU versus the shock of transitioning to a different system of treaties. I've tried to have that discussion once, digging up a bunch of shit about how the EU legislative process works and how incredibly, staggeringly, mind-bogglingly bullshit it is. For all the bullshit strawmen you trot out to avoid talking about it, this is our actual point of disagreement. You think reform is possible, and I think you're an idiot. At this point it'll be a miracle if we manage to salvage the U.S. federal government from becoming the next Russia, and the EU is arguably even more democratically fucked than that, and yet that is an institution you apparently have faith in.

FrankTrollman wrote:
See the big problem with fights over small areas is that they are easy for small groups of rich people to gain undue influence over. That's why we do so much worse in Montana than we do in New York. It's not that there isn't more money in New York, it's that individual groups of rich crackpots just have an easier time dominating politics in a small pool of 1 million people than it is to push things around in a populous area of nearly 20 million people.

Ten smallest states:
Wyoming (red)
Vermont (blue)
Alaska (red)
North Dakota (red)
South Dakota (red)
Delaware (blue)
Montana (red)
Rhode Island (blue)
Maine (blue)
New Hampshire (still blue, barely)

That is a 50-50 split. Also, funny note; Steve Daines (Republican, Montana) got a higher percentage of his campaign funding from small donors in his last election than Chuck Schumer (Democrat, New York) did in his. No, the big difference between Chuck Schumer and Steve Daines is that Chuck Schumer got a lot of money from large individual contributions and Steve Daines got a lot of money from PAC's. I think the take-away there is that Democrats suck a bunch of wealthy cock generally, while Republicans just suck the Koch Brothers' cock specifically, and they suck it hard. Which also explains why the Democratic party has a centrist wing where "good ol' common sense economics" prevails (and that common sense is almost variably about how to help the average citizen in the most minimally effective and plutocrat-friendly way and talk it about like it's a compromise with "harsh reality"") and the Republicans are batshit insane loot-and-pillage-the-country-from-within types.

History (specifically, the 1960's), gerrymandering, and the voter suppression (or at least voter chilling) are a better explanation for why the U.S. electoral map looks the way it does than "small states are easier to buy influence in," because Democrats are competitive in small states. And they are competitive in big states. And they are absolutely shit in a lot more middle states because those states are what we call the deep south and they're racist as shit.

FrankTrollman wrote:
The problem facing Portugal is not that it is too integrated into the rest of Europe. It's that it's not integrated enough.

That is abso-fucking-lutely not true. There are two problems with the EU.

The first is that the power afforded to the EU's federal institutions does not match their level of democratic accountability. That is the same problem that made Donald Trump president and is likely going to result in the repeal of Obamacare once the last few holdouts stop pretending to wring their hands and beg for meaningless concessions; the systems are undemocratic enough that they do not accurately reflect the desires of voters, and so voters end up getting shat on. The solution to that is either less integration or a true federal government. If the EU has less power, then its lack of democratic accountability means fuck all because they can't use it to hurt anyone. If there's a massive reform that results in a United States of Europe whose president and parliament set policy for the whole of Europe in a tangible, direct, highly visible way and the electoral systems for those offices aren't ass, then the EU can be trusted to manage Portugal. It cannot be trusted with monetary authority over Portugal given Portugal's (and other small states') current levels of representation. The system is too fucked for that.

The second problem is that European conservatives have a deep, stable well of influence (Germany being the most obvious) and European progressives... don't. The fact is that it's kind of fucking stupid for California to be a part of the United States. The government takes more from California than it puts in, the Supreme Court occasionally bitchslaps them for having the audacity to pass consumer protection laws, and whenever Republicans are in charge at the federal level (which is shaping up to be "from now until forever" unless the Supreme Court rules we have a constitutional protection against gerrymandering) they try to pass laws telling the state of California to fuck their people over as hard as they possibly can. If California were an independent nation assessing whether or not to become the fiftieth, the correct answer would be "oh fuck no please keep your stupid to yourself." But at least California has states like New York and Vermont and so forth and so on who consistently share its interest in a more progressive union, and it can work together with those states to advance that interest - and for awhile it even looked like they would win, though now things are... less hopeful. Europe does not really have that. The progressive well is shallow and fickle, and it would be stupid for progressive governments to advocate joining the EU. They're signing on to a federal government which is for the foreseeable future going to consistently lean conservative and attempt to restrain them or even sabotage them, just as it's been doing for the past eight years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 27147

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

DSM wrote:
the systems are undemocratic enough that they do not accurately reflect the desires of voters, and so voters end up getting shat on.


Unfortunately, not really. Fucking over the economy of Greece and Portugal is still quite a popular democratic position in Germany, France, Britain, and Holland, the countries where the banks that hold the debts of those countries actually are.

The case for accepting higher inflation targets in Northern Europe to stablize the economies of Southern Europe and issue low rate bonds backed by Northern Europe to stabilize the national debts of Southern European countires is a slam dunk. But this is not popular in Northern Europe because the myth that inflation led to Hitler is something "everybody knows" in Germanic countries.

The EU is actually doing what people vote for it to do. The electorate is fundamentally misinformed about the economic issues, but this is a failure of media and education, not of democracy as such.

-Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mask_De_H
Duke


Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 1787

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Look, DSM, I'm going to admit that I barely know about the deep, deep issues of the Eurozone outside of what I get from these threads, but from what I can glean from the last fifty times you two have had this discussion: the choice from Frank's side isn't "glorious European progressive reformation vs. becoming Russia," it's "becoming a Balkan clusterfuck vs. becoming Russia." And since Frank lives in the Eurozone and you don't, your plans are just as bullshit/ruinously out of touch/insane to him as what Germany does to Greece is to everyone.

Theory gets mugged by execution and Frank is cantankerous enough when he doesn't have his livelihood threatened.
_________________
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)


Last edited by Mask_De_H on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tussock
Prince


Joined: 07 Nov 2009
Posts: 2548
Location: Here

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"you can't reform the Eurozone and should just tear it all down" sounds a lot like
"you can't reform the United States and should just tear it all down" which, well ... Good luck with Trump and stuff, eh.

Most of Europe is of course vastly more socialist and happy clappy than it was half a century ago when they got the idea that huge wars between France and Germany over who ruled the little states were just stupid and they should do it together. Greece is in a bad way now, but Greece was a fascist military dictatorship until a while back, so uh, still better, and not just for all the Greeks who earn good money working around Europe without having to get visas.

There's quite a lot of bullshit little eastern Europe states used to be run from Moscow until recently, by people who cared a lot less about the folk in those countries being happy about anything ever. Them not having Germany run their central bank for them probably means it'll be run by Russia again, in that Putin rather openly offers to do that quite regularly, and while he's not the great Satan or anything it's probably not a better deal in fairly obvious ways.

Which you can see from the various countries where Moscow does have a lot of say in their central banking, in that those countries are not happy places for people to live. Very high alcoholism and so on, lots of repressive laws and deeply corrupt governments.

DSM wrote:
The fact is that it's kind of fucking stupid for California to be a part of the United States.

Good luck with the whole water thing, eh. Not to mention that a large progressive state leaving means the rest of it is necessarily more conservative. California trying out drug liberalisation does affect a country it is part of, and probably doesn't affect one it isn't part of. California trying out laws that get blocked in the US supreme court let everyone else try a different way of getting that same thing done which won't be blocked. They help the US be more progressive, their air quality stuff eventually became national air quality stuff. That's a good thing for the USA.

Europe should probably get more progressive if Britain leaves, in much the same way, they won't have all that useless fucking UKIP party votes pissing about at Brussels for a start, not to mention the Tories and dear old Labour until last week.
_________________
news://rec.games.frp.dnd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 27147

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as actual democracy solving these problems goes, here's how the Greek debt crisis was looked at in liberal, high tax, happiest place on Earth Denmark:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)


Now sure, that comic is fundamentally wrong bout how national debts work and what austerity measures are and do. But it's a simple and compelling narrative that makes sense to people and has easy and obvious parallels to peoples' normal lives.

We fucking lost the argument in the public square about how to handle public debt and bank regulation in the wake of the financial crisis. And a big part of that is gross malpractice by the media. But another big part of it is a severe lack of unity on the Left. We had a chorus of people gibbering about how they hated neoliberal institutions rather than a concrete set of messages about how to actually stop human suffering.

And so the household budget belt-tightening narrative pushed by creepy rich folks who wanted to tear down the welfare state basically won. It was clear, it made "common sense" and the left was completely unwilling to just shut the fuck up about how much they wanted to distance themselves from neoliberal shills or whatever the fuck to present a plausible counter narrative. And people fucking died. People voted for people to die, and people died.

-Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 12085

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tussock wrote:
Most of Europe is of course vastly more socialist and happy clappy than it was half a century ago when they got the idea that huge wars between France and Germany over who ruled the little states were just stupid and they should do it together.


You know, the United states is significantly more liberal and happy than before the Civil War. I think this means that Trump is a force for good.

This makes exactly as much sense as your argument that the Eurozone is essential because now is better than WWII.
_________________
"DSMatticus" wrote:
Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
hyzmarca
Prince


Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 3448

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tussock wrote:
"you can't reform the Eurozone and should just tear it all down" sounds a lot like
"you can't reform the United States and should just tear it all down" which, well ... Good luck with Trump and stuff, eh.


It's more like, "you can't have a centralized currency managed by a weak central government. Either shit or get off the pot."

The USA tried something similar back in the day. It was called the Articles of Confederation. It didn't work.

Confederations with weak central governments do not, and cannot last, because the member states will work for their own interests against all the others. They inevitably fall apart, as we are seeing now with the Brexit.

The best thing that the EU can do, the very best possible thing, is not let Britain leave. "Yeah, we know that Article 50 was part of the treaty. But fuck it, we're changing the rules."

And then if Britain tries to leave anyway, shoot them. Send bombers across the channel. Blast them into submission. You end up with a major war in Europe between nuclear powers. Which is a very scary thing, and really is something that you'd want to avoid, but all countries have these teething issues. Better to get them out of the way early than to let them seethe (I'm looking at you, American Slavery, you know what I'm talking about. "I would have gotten away with it, too, if not for that meddling Lincoln.").


Keeping Britain in by Force would basically require the EU to switch from a weak to a strong central government, and begin it's transition to a true federation. It's something that they really should do. But they won't, because modern Europeans are pussies about the whole world war stuff. It's like Hitler ruined it for everyone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stahlseele
King


Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 5009
Location: Hamburg, Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You are not really advocating what ammounts to a civil war between nuclear superpowers here are you? Please tell me not even you are that stupid.
_________________
Welcome, to IronHell.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group