Index of Minmax/ Brilliant Gameologist Threads

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Giles the Cleric
NPC

Index of Minmax/ Brilliant Gameologist Threads

Post by Giles the Cleric »

Minmax/ Brilliant Gameologists will soon be defunct. There is an archiving thread on GitP, here. Feel free to post here or on GitP to contribute.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Seriously? That blows.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

I'm late to the game, what happened?
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

The old site is going down. Strat started a new one at http://www.minmaxforum.com/
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Why don't they provide Strat with a database dump? FFS this is the exact reason I hate forums -- anything you post is invariably gone after 5 or 10 years.

My biggest hateboner is reserved for the HERO boards, which wiped not just once but twice, taking down all content posted to them.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

If Strat can start a new one, why can't they just take over the old one?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Giles the Cleric
NPC

Post by Giles the Cleric »

It sounded like a database dump was in the works, but the old sites went down unexpectedly before it could be completed.
bhu
NPC

Post by bhu »

Strat and others were in the process of creating boards to migrate the info to. The minmax boards went down before that could happen. I contacted BG Josh, and he said it was a problem consisting of 'too many files', but thought he could fix it. That was a day or two ago. I'd back up now using google/bing cache if there's any info you want. If Josh succeeds we'll hopefully be doing the info dump.
bhu
NPC

Post by bhu »

virgil wrote:If Strat can start a new one, why can't they just take over the old one?
I believe there's an issue with it allowing him access to the BG's personal info if he just takes over.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

bhu wrote:
virgil wrote:If Strat can start a new one, why can't they just take over the old one?
I believe there's an issue with it allowing him access to the BG's personal info if he just takes over.
Like people's emails and whatnot? Hash emails, delete everything else, and let people restore access to their accounts by providing their emails and going through the "forgot password" routine. It'll be more secure than starting a new forum, because hypothetical attackers won't be able to register and squat on existing identities.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

That's easy to say, but thing is the forum's owner had ran out of fucks to give about one year ago (the reason the forum was slowly collapsing until it finally broke for full). They weren't willing to listen to any solution where they would need to do any significant extra amount of work for a forum they didn't care anymore, neither were they willing to risk having any of their personal data left inside which may be spilled out to the full internet should they try a blind full transition. They specifically mentioned already having been burned like that in the past.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
bhu
NPC

Post by bhu »

http://minmaxforum.com/index.php Josh was successful in fixing the issue. Boards have migrated here.