Unknown/odd combinations, 3.5

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

nockermensch wrote:
erik wrote:• Master's Touch to let it wield a huge weapon at iterative attacks with two-handed power attack, and have 30' reach if desired.
Wait, what
Master's Touch is in the Spell Compendium. You gain proficiency with one weapon for 1 minute/level, so you can share that spell with your familiar to let him gain prof in a giant glaive or something. Pretty cool.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

spongeknight wrote:
nockermensch wrote:
erik wrote:• Master's Touch to let it wield a huge weapon at iterative attacks with two-handed power attack, and have 30' reach if desired.
Wait, what
Master's Touch is in the Spell Compendium. You gain proficiency with one weapon for 1 minute/level, so you can share that spell with your familiar to let him gain prof in a giant glaive or something. Pretty cool.
Ah, thanks. dndtools was showing a Master's Touch from the players handbook 2 with a completely different effect.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

This is ridiculously stupid, but monks suck, so why the hell not-

I never realized it before, but monk unarmed strikes count as natural and manufactured weapons. I figured they were some uncategorized third type, but no, WotC was in fact that stupid. So take Improved Natural Attack, if you can manage to take it 6 times by then (like by being a human and taking flaws), you're doing 12d8 with each attack between 8th and 11th level.edit- I am dumb, you can't apply INA to the same attack multiple times, replace with Mighty Wallop/Greater Mighty Wallop. See Serrow's post below.

Add TWF, so between that and Flurry of Blows, at 8th-11th level you're throwing around 4 12d8 (12d6 at 4th-7th) attacks in a round.

Add to this mix Inhuman Reach and Deformity Tall, each of which give you +5 reach, but keep you medium.

Finally, add Enlarge Person, and you're doing 24d6 per attack (because Large monk) at Fireball radius. If you want to really be a fireball, you shoot for Whirlwind Attack, but that adds five more feats onto your already needed 10 (INAx6, Aberrant Blood>Inhuman Reach, Willing Deformity>Deformity-Tall), and you need to figure out how to make your attacks do pure fire damage. If you only take INA three times before 8th, then you're on par with an 8th level caster's fireball per attack while enlarged.

If you're ok with just effectively being a walking fireball, take ITWF for a total of 5 24d6 attacks at level 10, which ticks over to 6 at 11th with Greater Flurry. If you continue improving your monk abilities and focusing on this trick, then at level 20 you can have GTWF and are dealing 8 48d6 attacks at level 20. If you add PA, Cleave and Great Cleave, you might as well be a fireball for anything that takes bludgeoning damage and can't stand up to an average damage of 168 before str from an attack (which is admittedly a small number of things at lv 20, but if your dm is throwing a massive horde at you at level 20, and this kind of spread matters at all, then that level of damage can probably seriously cramp their style.

Of course this requires 16 feats, so you'll have to pull some shenanigans and you might as well spend your time doing something more worthwhile.

edit- had to correct for large size. And of course, if you get better enlarging spells as you go up this just gets more absurd.

edit edit- well now that I know you can't apply INA to the same attack multiple times the chart is pointless, so it's gone.
Last edited by Prak on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Prak: Improved Natural Attack cannot be applied multiple times to the same natural weapon.

That said, even without all of that stacking, unarmed strike is a bludgeoning weapon, so is a valid target for Greater Mighty Wallop. So you can be an 12th level monk with a monk's belt, INA, and Greater Mighty Wallop, and have 2d8->3d8(INA)->8d8(GMW)->12d8(enlarge person), and still end up in mostly the same place, with way less feats invested. So then invest your 4 feats into +10ft reach, and you've got your 6 12d8 attacks per round with a 30ft reach without needing any flaws, but needing some caster support in the form of an hours/level buff plus enlarge person (assuming you can't get the enlarge person out of a cheap custom magic item).
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

The Dvati race, as depicted in the Dragon Compendium, is both cheesy and largely useless. It's a +1LA race in two bodies, which share hit dice and actions/round. Outside of using Vigor to make them viable Psychic Warriors they're best used to grant passive abilities twice, such as those of Fiends of Possession, or a Marshall's auras. While good as a cohort when one wants tangible benefits without having to fiddle with a caster, I most enjoyed a Dvati in a one-shot where each character was an intelligent item trying to influence their current bearers.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Seerow wrote:Prak: Improved Natural Attack cannot be applied multiple times to the same natural weapon.

That said, even without all of that stacking, unarmed strike is a bludgeoning weapon, so is a valid target for Greater Mighty Wallop. So you can be an 12th level monk with a monk's belt, INA, and Greater Mighty Wallop, and have 2d8->3d8(INA)->8d8(GMW)->12d8(enlarge person), and still end up in mostly the same place, with way less feats invested. So then invest your 4 feats into +10ft reach, and you've got your 6 12d8 attacks per round with a 30ft reach without needing any flaws, but needing some caster support in the form of an hours/level buff plus enlarge person (assuming you can't get the enlarge person out of a cheap custom magic item).
Oh. Well, there you go.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I made a 13th level Ardent with the Time Mantle that boosted his Manifester level enough to be able to cast the 9th level mantle power Time Regression. Time Regression is costly but it brings you back one round into the past with only your mind and memories being a constant. If you use a cognizance crystal's power points to pay for the Time Regression then the crystal, and not you, pays for the power and when the effect places everything outside of you as it was a round earlier the crystals power points haven't yet been used allowing you to use them again immediately.

Someone with a cognizance crystal and the ability to access Time Regression can travel back in time to a limit of the point where he first acquired the cognizance crystal.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:The Dvati race, as depicted in the Dragon Compendium, is both cheesy and largely useless. It's a +1LA race in two bodies, which share hit dice and actions/round.
Only if you go by the "errata" of "some dude at WotC claimed it in the FaQ".

If you don't do that, and you shouldn't, then each has a pool of actions as normal, except casting a spell requires the relevant actions for both participants. Not included in that: manifesting psionic powers, casting spell-like abilities or supernatural abilities, activating magic items. Any magical effect is shared, and because they have identical ability scores, you sort of get a two-for-one on any item than enhances your ability scores.

Presumably if they're a pair of Warlocks who take "Obtain Familiar" - yes I know you've just made three bad decisions but bear with me here - they only get one familiar. But you're still three physical bodies. When you then take the feat that lets you share your familiar link out to something like 100' radius, you're golden, because then you use a scroll of Polymorph or Shapechange to turn into three dragons (or cornugons or war trolls or whatever). Then you use a scroll of Body Outside Body and turn into something like fifteen of aforementioned monster.

There's a lot of stupid involved, but when the final product is being able to say "And then I turn into fifteen dragons", you at least deserve a round of applause.

Note, however, that you're sort-of sharing HP in a really shit way: figure out the maximum, then each of the twins gets half of that. So it's really easy for them to die from insufficient HP. The familiar is probably pretty anaemic too, for that matter. All of which suggests you really need to shapechange into something buff, then apply Bear's Endurance for the polymorphing HP loophole, then send clones out to do your bidding.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

Another nifty little combo is the druid's Dragon Wild Shape feat to turn into a Tome Dragon, then prepare every applicable spell with the Extend metamagic feat for free. Why? Because Tome Dragons have a bullshit ability where they can apply Extend Spell to every spell they cast for no raison, and as an unlisted natural ability druids get that when they wild shape into one. It doesn't use up a spell slot higher, so for just the low cost of one wild shape use you can extend all your ridiculous buffs every day.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
K
King

Post by K »

Shady314 wrote:Eberron specific apparently. Is one of the PRCs Primal Scholar? And is the spell Unfettered Heroism?
The final PrC is Legacy Champion. It's a PrC from Weapons of Legacy where 4/5 levels count as a level of another class for your class features. This advances Primal Scholar class features for higher-level spells to be recovered with Secret of Power option of Ancient Secret.

Legacy Champion is fine PrC for making substandard PrCs into things that are actually decent by advancing those PrCs past caps designed to limit how big bonuses get.
Last edited by K on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Substitute Domain on a DreadWarBeguiler who has prestige domains (you can UMD it, or try to snag it on your spell list somehow, e.g. by taking the Apprentice feat) to swap out domain spells known any time you have 10 minutes to spare. Someone on gitp mentions this from time to time and I haven't seen it mentioned in much or in any handbook.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.