Main Difficulties in Hosting Local Games (GMs)?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

#1 problem when hosting games as a GM?

Finding people with compatible schedules (time/day of week) or play frequency (monthly, biweekly, etc.)
55%
Can't find a good hosting venue
3%
Agreeing on a game system (D&D 5/4/3, Pathfinder, Shadowrun, etc.)
No votes
Agreeing on how to play the game system (combat vs. roleplay vs. problem solving focus, GM-driven vs. player-driven story, etc.)
No votes
Finding players in my age range
No votes
Finding players with compatible personalities
21%
Finding players with a compatible level of system mastery/character optimization
No votes
Too much time/effort to prepare game content
18%
Other (comment with more info)
3%

Total votes: 33

brized
Journeyman

Main Difficulties in Hosting Local Games (GMs)?

Post by brized »

When looking for players as a GM, what are your most common or most frustrating issues? These can be barriers to starting a game, or what derails a running game.

Feel free to comment with more info or standout stories, esp if some factors prevent games starting while others cause an established gaming group to implode.
Tumbling Down wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:I'm really tempted to stat up a 'Shadzar' for my game, now.
An admirable sentiment but someone beat you to it.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

My main problem is a mix between one and two
I have three players.
I can GM on Friday afternoon and Evening, Saturday evening, and Sunday afternoon and evening
one of them can't on Fridays, another can't on Saturday evening and the third can't on Sundays (regularly at least). So at least one third of my players would be missing, no matter when I run.
And with two of them that also affects where I can run it.

So now my difficulty is in
  1. Finding some more players
  2. Finding players who can play when I can
  3. Deciding which player will not be able to play/Deciding how to make it so that no player misses too much
  4. Based on that decide where to run it
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Personality conflicts. My current group is composed of people kicked out of every other group in the area. Most gamers can't handle our assorted bullshit.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Yesterday's Hero
Apprentice

Post by Yesterday's Hero »

My eternal problem has been finding people who can game on a weekly basis. About a year ago I stopped DMing for a group and formed a new one (carrying only one player) and I haven't had that problem anymore.

All the other items on the poll can be sorted out/negotiated, but if the players can't consistently make it to the agreed upon day/time I just go nuts.
Did you ever notice that, in action movies, the final confrontation between hero and villain is more often than not an unarmed melee fight? It's like these bad guys have "Regeneration 50/Unarmed strikes".
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Finding people who aren't dicks/are dicks in the correct ways who can game weekly. So both personality and time.

It's too easy to have a game die because one or two people flake out or have schedule changes.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Voted for #1 (and again, finding groups PERIOD, but I'm sure that my crippling social anxiety doesn't help with that), but #3 would be an issue for me if I was in a position to be picky, which as I alluded to in my post in the other poll...I am not.

EDIT:

If I had to pick "Other" in either poll, it would be finding players that don't take issue with my cannabis use. You don't need to smoke with me, just don't give me the stinkeye for smoking pot while playing D&D (obviously, if someone else were hosting, and smoking IN GENERAL were an issue, I'd do the polite thing and step outside to smoke, or more likely, use my vape pen which is virtually odorless and produces no actual smoke; another option would just be eating or drinking a bunch of cannabis before the game session and just slowly growing stoned during it, seemingly from nothing, as edibles take 2-3 hours to effect me).

My entire circle of gamer friends previous were all stoners or stoner friendly. There were practically as many bongs and pipes on the table as there were books, as many nugs and piles of ground up bud as there were dice. I have always despised the archetype of the tee-totaling nerd who scorns other nerds that drink or do drugs, and that's the type I'm scared of butting up against. If you don't drink, or do drugs, unless you have a VERY good reason, I am highly suspicious of you from the jump. I feel even moreso about people that don't fucking curse.

Thankfully I'm in one of the many US states where marijuana is entirely legal, so hopefully that should help somewhat.
Last edited by Neurosis on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Ignimortis
Journeyman

Post by Ignimortis »

The major problem with finding local players for me is that I'm living in a backwater place with about 100k people in town (which is a large number but doesn't work out that well), of which very few are even aware of tabletop RPGs (I used to be one of the few kids in school who knew what D&D even was, actually), and probably even fewer people who care enough to invest their time into the systems I like.

In the end, I scraped together maybe 4 people from my online social circle, which is vastly larger than my IRL one, and even then I have to DM, because no one else has enough drive or system knowledge to run 3.5 or PF. I'm probably not going to ever run real-life games unless I move four timezones westward.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

i went to high school in a town of 6000. Wiki says 6,2XX per 2010 census.

I had my DND group, plus there was at least 2 other groups I knew about but didn't play with.

100k is top 300 cities in the us. Greenbay has a football team and sits at 108k. Did you add a 0? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... population

I feel like maybe you are doing something else wrong.
Ignimortis
Journeyman

Post by Ignimortis »

Krusk wrote:i went to high school in a town of 6000. Wiki says 6,2XX per 2010 census.

I had my DND group, plus there was at least 2 other groups I knew about but didn't play with.

100k is top 300 cities in the us. Greenbay has a football team and sits at 108k. Did you add a 0? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... population

I feel like maybe you are doing something else wrong.
Maybe not living in the US, sure. Awareness of D&D is basically non-existent in the Siberian parts of Russia outside of my generation (as in, 20-something people and younger), at least outside of large metropoles, which means around 500k or more here.

Actually, I'm not even sure any bookshops carry PHBs of any D&D edition here (nor any other tabletop RPGs) - last time I looked, there weren't any. I'd have to mail-order them from Moscow, probably, if I wanted to have a physical copy.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Living in Siberia may qualify as doing something else wrong.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

Well fuck me. Siberia sounds like a good reason