Let's Play The Gates of Death: Fighting Fantasy (Sch#12)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

'So you've come to save us all, have you?' says the monkey. 'Thank Throff! It won't be easy, though. There is evil magic at work here and the whole place is full of monsters and demons that have got past our defenses. You are not the first to come here trying to help. A freebooter called Sinna the Sly arrived a few days ago. What happened to him I don't know, but things have only got worse since he got here. You will need to explore the whole temple. Its secrets are concealed. Its servants, like me, are hiding. Even the High Priestess herself. You will need to find her and three others. Search for the Holy Man, the Wooden Scribe and the Fish with a Thousand Voices. And hurry. With every moment the power of the Great Demoness, Ulrakaah, grows stronger. Now, I have said too much, she has eyes and ears everywhere. Go!'

Ask the monkey who exactly he is?
Go into the Temple Gardens?
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

It's probably just going to be a "you took too long here's a demon" trap but the names seem important, so ask.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

'I am Grecko the Temple Keeper,' says the monkey. 'The High Priestess turned me into a monkey to keep me safe from the demons. They are taking over. Their purple portals are everywhere...Here, have a banana.'

You take the banana and eat it. (Add 2 to your STAMINA score.)

The only option now is to move on:

You are in the Temple Gardens, which are planted with healing herbs and sweet-scented flowers. There's a fishpond in the middle with a fountain depicting Hydana, the God of the Oceans, spouting water from his mouth. You follow a gravel pathway over to a flight of steps leading to the main temple building, its silver dome towering above you. You climb the steps, pass between some pillars and come to a walkway where you see gold letters inlaid into the marble floor—The Aisle Of Guardians.

The Aisle of Guardians runs east to west. With the Temple Gardens at the east entrance and the Temple of Throff at the west end. There are statues all along its length, depicting previous priests and priestesses, the oldest ones closest to the gardens. As you walk down the aisle you see an empty pedestal. One of the statues is missing. There are two chambers off the aisle, one on the north side, one on the south. The one on the north side smells of rotting meat. The second chamber has a faint purple glow coming from inside it.

Explore the north chamber?
Explore the south chamber?
Go to the main temple?

Adventure Sheet
Colin Hunt
SKILL: 11/11
STAMINA: 16/18
LUCK: 4/11
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Lucky Anchor Charm, Hero's Medallion (+2 SKILL), Silver Ring, Bier Goggles
Vials of Smoke-Oil: 0
Gold Pieces: 18
Weapons: Lord Azzur's Khopesh (+1 Attack Strength, extra +1 attack/damage vs. demons)
Items: Fishhook, Poison Antidote, Silver Trowel, Map of Trolltooth Pass
Compasses: Brass Compass, Silver Compass, Bronze Compass
Healing Items: Harp of Healing (+8 STAMINA when a combat would be lost), Horn of Plenty (restores STAMINA to Initial level), Healing Ointment (+4 STAMINA), Dates (+3 STAMINA when eaten) 1 meal of Provisions (+4 STAMINA when eaten)
Keys: Icefinger Key
Magic Potions: 'Collywobbles', 'Dragon's Breath,' 'Nostalgia' Perfume, 'Pretty as a Picture,' 'Thick as Thieves'
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

South
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Nope, that's where the purple demon portal we just learned about is. North
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Anyone want to break the tie?
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

I'll take North for $5, Rabbit.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Inside the first chamber you find a group of dead temple guards, wearing bronze armor and dark blue cloaks. It looks as if they've been poisoned. Their faces are purple and bloated. Each one clutches a temple guard's axe in his dead hands—no defense against poison. (If you want to add a Temple Guard's Axe to your Weapons List, then do so.)
Weapons section wrote:This blessed weapon will cause 2 STAMINA points of damage at a successful strike, unless you roll a double whilst calculating your Attack Strength, in which case it will cause 3 STAMINA points of damage. As long as you are wielding this weapon in battle you may add 1 point to your Attack Strength.
(I mentioned that the khopesh is probably the best weapon in this book earlier, because this one's slightly better against non-demons, although not nearly as good against demons. Do we want to take it? We don't have to leave our khopesh behind, although as usual for Fighting Fantasy we can only use one of the two weapons at a time.)

Explore the south chamber?
Leave the chamber and walk down the aisle to the main temple?
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Take other excellent murder-stick (I can't see a downside to doing so at all..), neutral on whether to poke the purple portal or avoid. Half a vote to avoid, 'cos it'll probably MDK us in the face with little warning.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Our reward for questioning the imp so closely was that we learned about the portals so we could avoid them. Head down the aisle.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You come into the main Temple Of Throff, where there is a huge statue of the goddess, standing in the middle under the dome. It is made of pure silver and the sunlight streaming in through the high windows in the dome make it glow.

The temple is circular, with pillars holding up the dome, which is painted to look like the sky. There are images of clouds, birds and the sun on one side, and stars, planets and the moon on the other. There are walkways going off through archways to north and south. The walkway to the north has a pale blue tiled floor and lettering above the archway tells you it is the Walkway of Day; the other one, going south, has dark blue tiles and is called the Walkway of Night.

You look around, wondering where you might find the High Priestess. This place is deserted as everywhere else. You wind a patch of dried blood and some broken pottery. You also find some scattered pages from a book written in a language you cannot understand. Behind the statue of Throff against the western wall, you find a small shrine to the moon goddess, Lunara. You know that some people pray to her to find things that have been lost and there is an offering bowl in front of the statue.

You are in the heart of the Temple. The great silver statue of the goddess Throff stands before you.

Will you:
Take the Walkway of Day to the north?
Take the Walkway of Night to the south?
Go down the Aisle of Guardians to the east?
Make an offering to the goddess Lunara by the west wall?

Adventure Sheet
Colin Hunt
STAMINA: 16/18
Equipment: Traveling Clothes, Lucky Anchor Charm, Hero's Medallion (+2 SKILL), Silver Ring, Bier Goggles
Weapons: Lord Azzur's Khopesh (+1 Attack Strength, extra +1 attack/damage vs. demons), Temple Guard's Axe (+1 Attack Strength, +1 damage on doubles rolled in combat)
Healing Items: Harp of Healing (+8 STAMINA when a combat would be lost), Horn of Plenty (restores STAMINA to Initial level), Healing Ointment (+4 STAMINA), Dates (+3 STAMINA when eaten) 1 meal of Provisions (+4 STAMINA when eaten)
Magic Potions: 'Collywobbles', 'Dragon's Breath,' 'Nostalgia' Perfume, 'Pretty as a Picture,' 'Thick as Thieves'
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Let's make an offering, see if she knows if that pirate lady brought any smoke oil in with her before she carked it.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

What will you offer Lunara? Check to see what you have in your pack.

Put cold sausage in the dish?
Put an apple in the dish?
Put dried fish in the dish?

We don't have any of the above, so do we want to:

Take the Walkway of Day to the north?
Take the Walkway of Night to the south?
Go down the Aisle of Guardians to the east?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Walkway of Day I guess.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sure, why not.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You have come to a large square chamber with a deep pool of shimmering water in it. This is the famous Pool of Mysteries, one of two magical pools here in the temple. To the north, through an archway, is the Walkway of the Dawn. The Walkway of Day goes the other way, south, towards the main temple.

Will you:
Drink some water?
Take the Walkway of Day? (leads back to previous section)
Take the Walkway of the Dawn?
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Take a swig. We're running out of sections to find more smoke oil, can't afford to avoid any potentially useful content.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You drink some water from the Pool of Mysteries and feel a deep sense of peace and calm come over you. (Add 1 STAMINA point.)

Take the Walkway of Day?
Take the Walkway of the Dawn?

Adventure Sheet
Colin Hunt
STAMINA: 17/18
Weapons: Lord Azzur's Khopesh (+1 Attack Strength, extra +1 attack/damage vs. demons), Temple Guard's Axe (+1 Attack Strength, +1 damage on doubles rolled in combat)
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Dawn due to no other options.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You are in the Walkway of the Dawn. At the southern end is the archway leading to the Pool of Mysteries, at the northern end is a heavy iron door. Halfway along is a smaller door on the west side, with purple light spilling underneath it.

Open the smaller door?
Go through the heavy iron door?
Go to the Pool of Mysteries?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Pool of other Mysteries.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

It’s the same one. I forgot to make a note to of it.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Iron door.

Although maybe we should be checking portal-doors for pirate corpses, I dunno.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Iron door.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You are in a long hall running roughly east to west, with wooden walls and a high ceiling. It is full of bunk beds. This must be the dormitory where the priests and the acolytes and the temple workers sleep. The walls are covered with paintings of Glantanka, the Sun Goddess, and there are three doors here: the heavy iron door leading to the Walkway of the Dawn, another at the eastern end of the dormitory with a sun symbol on it, and a third in the same wall as the one leading to the Walkway of the Dawn with a symbol of wheat on it.

Go through the door with the sun symbol?
Take the door with the wheat symbol?
Go through the heavy iron door to the Walkway of the Dawn? (back to previous section)