Moments when a piece of entertainment completely rocked you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

The last and final issue of Lost Light/More Than Meets the Eye came out today, and... and I'm really sad. I mean, I'm actually crying.

Goodbye, Team Rodimus. You were enjoyed.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Might be more of an insider chuckle for Frank and others of the Medical Persuasion but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnvgQCa ... _ePlIjW1y0
A real Doctor reacts to Cells at Work Anime Episodes.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Ancient History wrote:K/DA music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4
I completely love the fact that Ahri is doing her laundry in a laundromat.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

OK, so I was such a huge She-Ra fan back in the day that I had the Crystal Castle and all the action figures and I watched the show every day before school, and I still have the books.

I love the complexity of the relationship between Catra and Adora. I love the fact that the answers are not immediately there and not everything is explained; there's lots of room for ongoing exploration. And I love the fact that She-Ra isn't defined in relationship to a man (she's not He-Woman); there's no mention of Adam or Eternia at all.
I do think that the loss of Entrapta and the ending resolution and the loss of Entrapta were a little vague and rushed. I'm not sure why Team Princess thought Entrapta was dead. And She-Ra's rainbow was a very Care Bear moment.

But I can live with this.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Really enjoyed the Netflix series "Maniac". I read somewhere that it can be explained as sort of a cross between Twin Peaks and Inception...idk about that but it kind of sets the stage. It was pretty enjoyable and didn't seem to take itself too seriously but never devolved into camp, and it had some genuine-feeling themes about loss and identity.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm working on my Pentex Fomori one shot horror game and... I just accidentally made Donald Trump as one of the pregen characters. I'd thought about making a Trump "PR New Hire" pregen character... it sorta turned into a piss take of Trump...

I'm gonna have to bring a nerf gun to use on a player who tries to actually pull a Trump impression for the whole game...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Due to recent discussions of westerns, a free trial of Amazon Prime and a friend who hadn't seen it yet - I rewatched the 2016 Magnificent Seven remake tonight.

It holds up really well. The 2016 subtext borders on heavy handed -- but I'm totally okay with "we should all put aside our differences from past battles to fight off the robber barons" being the message.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Due to recent discussions of westerns, a free trial of Amazon Prime and a friend who hadn't seen it yet - I rewatched the 2016 Magnificent Seven remake tonight.

It holds up really well. The 2016 subtext borders on heavy handed -- but I'm totally okay with "we should all put aside our differences from past battles to fight off the robber barons" being the message.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I watched Aquaman. It's alright, 6/10. It neither really "rocked" me, nor "lost" me, but I didn't hate my time. Recap to follow, beware of spoilers.
The movie opens with Galadriel Queen of Atlantis fleeing an arranged marriage. She's wounded, but is saved by Discount Tom Hanks, a lighthouse keeper. Despite being a retard, Galadriel speaks english and falls in love with Discount Tom Hanks. They have a baby, Young Machette, who looks absolutely nothing like either of them. Then atlantean stormtroopers attack and get absolutely wrecked by Galadriel's kung fu. She leaves Discount Tom Hanks and baby Young Machette so as to keep them safe. She goes to Atlantis, goes through with the arranged marriage, gives birth to Witch-King Malekith, and is then executed for some bullshit I forgot what exactly.
Schoolboy Young Machette goes with a class to oceanarium and is saved from bullies by a shark, showing his superpowers.
Timeskip.
Discount Killmonger, the Black Grandson of Black Big Boss is a pirate. He and his dad use some super duper mini sub to hijack a russian submarine. They murder as many russians as they can, but then adult Young Machette shows up. He's Aquaman! He's 1/1000th Kryptonian on his father's side so he's impervious to bullets and blades and kills all the pirates with his bare hands. He then murders Discount Killmonger's dad in cold blood while Discount Killmonger swears eternal revenge. He then goes to a bar in the US and gets drunk with his dad and some comedy relief bikers.
Meanwhile, Witch-King Malekith meets up with Arthur Weasley to discuss his plan to take over the world. Seamen are split into seven tribes, but actually it's four and Witch-King Malekith needs Arthur Weasely to join their armies and coerce the other seamen into one super army. Arthur Weasely initially refuses, but then a convenient russian submarine torpedoes them so he agrees. But their actual casus beli is that atlanteans have invented perpetum mobile back in ancient greece and didn't share with humans, so now they are all feeling very smug about not burning coal to power their asgardian technology.
Giant tidal waves hit all shores. They also hit the shore where Young Machette is driving his drunk dad home. Luckily, Arthur Weasley's daughter, Mera Jane, shows up and uses water bending to save Discount Tom Hanks. She then uses water bending to resuscitate him because apparently Young Machette doesn't know basic CPR despite being Aquaman and saving people in the sea regularly. Mera Jane wants Young Machette to dethrone his brother, Witch-King Malekith, and stop the war. Young Machette doesn't wanna, but then agrees.
They go to Atlantis. Turns out regular atlanteans can't even breath air - only noblemen can. Also only noblemen have superpowers, like how Mera Jane has water bending, Young Machette can talk to fish and Witch-King Malekith can't do shit.
Witch-King Malekith's advisor and Young Machette's mentor, the Wet Goblin, tells them the plan. They need to find the trident in the stone Excalident, the trident of king Arthur king Atlant. He's got a map, but they need to go to Sahara, the "sea of sand", to deciper it. Suddenly Young Machette gets arrested by the customs officers for being an illegal immigrant in Atlantis. No, really.
Young Machette is brought before Witch-King Malekith, they banter, then they have a duel for the throne. Young Machette loses but is saved by Mera Jane and they flee Atlantis.
They travel, find out that ancient africans were rulled by a cis white male Atlan, totally dunking on Black Panther mythology. Then they go to Sicily. Where they find out that the trident is hidden in a monster-infested abyss where Galadriel was executed.
Suddenly they are attacked by Discount Killmonger, now known as Black Manta, and his atlantean henchmen. Discount Killmonger was hired by the Witch-King Malekith and given top end atlantean weapons. Which Discount Killmonger immediately reverse engineered because atlanteans are still retarded.
Everybody is kung-fu fighting.
Young Machette and Mera Jane swim into the monster-infested abyss and find out that it's a hole leading to the underside of the Earth, full of dinosaurs and shit. Also Galadriel is there. She found the hollow earth supplies of bottox, because unlike Discount Tom Hanks she didn't get even a single wrinkle.
The Excalident is guarded by an ancient ultralisk, but Young Machette passes his diplomacy check and takes the trident. He then rides the ultralisk to battle and murders a crapton of atlanteas, who were busy fighting crab people to subjugate the crab people into their land-conquering army.
Young Machette and Witch-King Malekith duel, and this time Young Machette wins. Arthur Weasley escapes all punishment and pledges to Young Machette, as do all atlantean mooks.
Movie ends.
Last edited by Longes on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I've seen several (or the same) fight scene several times in different promotional materials. It looked very badly CGI'd, and it didn't make want to see the film. Did the fight scenes look better in the theater?
-This space intentionally left blank
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

No, the fight scenes are very bad. Not because of the CGI, but because they are heavy on padded sumo and complete lack of indication of how damaged the people are.
LeadPal
Apprentice

Post by LeadPal »

Life is too short for movies as generic as Aquaman. I walked in an hour late (around when he gets captured) and I feel like I didn't miss anything at all.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

We need more classics like The Sinister Urge or any of the "I Was A Teenage _____"-type movies.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

There's an NHK Drama where Gackt plays a Eunuch banished from China for banging the Imperial Harem.

He became a eunuch with the goal of banging the imperial harem. After doing so he is banished to Okinawa.

40% of his screen time is spent licking whatever he wants

Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Been enjoying the SCP manga lately. I saw it start popping up just before xmas. Can find it at lotsa manga sites, here's one.

https://mangapark.me/manga/oversimplifi ... on-writers
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I've been listening to one or two SCP YouTube channels recently. There are some interesting ideas in all that.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I saw Bumblebee with Darth last night, and it was fucking fantastic. It was great to see a live-action Transformers movie. I can't believe it took Hasbro thirty years to make a new TF movie, though...? Hope they do more.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Fangirl Maj is back again! This time I'm squeeing over the new Carmen Sandiego. They have given her a raison d'etre, with backstory and excitement. Along with all the geography lessons I loved back in the day. Also, Gina Rodriguez voices her and does a great job.
Last edited by Maj on Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Maj wrote:Fangirl Maj is back again! This time I'm squeeing over the new Carmen Sandiego. They have given her a raison d'etre, with backstory and excitement. Along with all the geography lessons I loved back in the day. Also, Gina Rodriguez voices her and does a great job.
I guess I know what I'm watching for around 5 hours of my life this weekend.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

The Battle of New York sequence in the first episode of Gen:Lock hit me right in my inner 12-year old Robotech fanboy.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Saw the Broly movie with the chick I've been mooching off of. I definitely detect TFS's influence on the dialogue.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

I somehow got Patience by Guns N' Roses stuck in my head, so I watched the video this morning.

Look how this fucking guy dresses: https://youtu.be/ErvgV4P6Fzc?t=33

Backwards baseball cap with a pile of handkerchief underneath it so it fits, t-shirt written in a language he doesn't speak with rolled-up sleeves, and tight-assed pants with a skull and crossbones without the skull, and best of all, a huge rhinestone belt.

They had some good songs, but that goofus' voice cracked too much during the singing. I'm sure the amount of whiskey he's put down has made his voice better (he's not Tom Waits, so...).
Cervantes
Journeyman

Post by Cervantes »

Into the Spiderverse is real good.

Vice is not a fun movie, overall, but it is a very good movie
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I finally got around to seeing Ralph Breaks the Internet, and thought it was what a lot of people need. I kinda hated the first half, but the last half was probably the most enlightening a Disney movie has been in a while.