Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:I'll forgive the time-displaced children feeling shoehorned into Fates because I liked it more than Awakening in just about every other way (and I liked Awakening.)

I haven't been able to get into earlier FE titles than those (barring the Japanese-only New Mystery of the Emblem, a.k.a. Nintendo Hates Money) because random stat growth+permanent character death is not a winning combination in my book.
Let me share you a secret, all of the FE games are winnable even if you roll all 0s on the random growths. There's even people who hack the games to make sure they roll all zeros and then run just that. Sometimes you can even hack negative growth stats and still achieve victory! The random stat growths just allow lucky characters to become gods of death that you can throw at the mid of the enemy and watch them blend everything on their own with basic weapons, while zero growth just means you to need to use items and tactics more.

I'll agree that perma character death however can be a big turn off and it's no coincidence that Awakening turned the series around while adding the option for turning that off.
Shrapnel wrote:FUCK Nintendo, now and forever. I want Nintendo to catch cancer.

I just spent FIVE FUCKING HOURS trying to play Roll-chan 4, a ROM-hack of Mega Man 4. I downloaded four different emulators, fifteen downloads of roll-chan 4 .ips files - which, I found out, are NOT the same thing as roms, which then led to going to no less than FIVE different sites looking for a Mega Man 4 ROM to download so I could patch the game via Lunar IPS... but every site I went to DIDN'T HAVE THE FUCKING FILE AVAILABLE because of FUCKING NINTENDO taking down EVERY FUCKING SITE because they are a bunch of FUCKING [EDITED] that DESERVE to be PUNCHED in the FUCKING DICK forEVER!
Pirates: "Once something is on the net, it's there forever."
Nintendo: "Challenge accepted."
Shrapnel wrote: ALL the PIXELS are FUKCED UP! Because NINTENDO is run by a bunch of FUCKING [EDITED] who can't let people PLAY FUCKING ROMS BECAUSE THEY WANT TO CHARGE YOU THIRTY FUCKING DOLLARS A FUCKING MONTH TO PLAY NES GAMES THAT NO ONE WANT TO FUCKING PLAY
Kirby's adventure was added, your argument is invalid.

(also geez where you're getting 30 bucks price tag from?)
Shrapnel wrote: In case I wasn't clear...

FUCK. NINTENDO.

I would not shed a single tear if Japan sunk into the sea tomorrow.
Japan sinking would be too little too late because Bowser has just become president of Nintendo in America.

Bowser's first action seems to be striking an alliance with Microsoft.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

maglag wrote:
Shrapnel wrote: ALL the PIXELS are FUKCED UP! Because NINTENDO is run by a bunch of FUCKING [EDITED] who can't let people PLAY FUCKING ROMS BECAUSE THEY WANT TO CHARGE YOU THIRTY FUCKING DOLLARS A FUCKING MONTH TO PLAY NES GAMES THAT NO ONE WANT TO FUCKING PLAY
Kirby's adventure was added, your argument is invalid.

(also geez where you're getting 30 bucks price tag from?)

[shruggle] Dunno. I was too het up to worry about minutiae such as "facts".

I was probably thinking of the family membership price, although Primus knows why.

Anyway, I already have Kirby's Adventure on the Wii. And Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland, the GBA remake. What I DON'T have is a hack of Mega Man that allows me to play as Roll. Fuckers.
Shrapnel wrote: In case I wasn't clear...

FUCK. NINTENDO.

I would not shed a single tear if Japan sunk into the sea tomorrow.
Japan sinking would be too little too late because Bowser has just become president of Nintendo in America.

Bowser's first action seems to be striking an alliance with Microsoft.
I mean, at this point, I play Nintendo games in the same way a divorced couple might hate-fuck - violently, kind-of enjoying it, and secretly hoping that the other will die of a sex-induced heart-attack.

Aside... I still wouldn't shed a tear. America and Japan can both go fuck itself like the liberal libertine bunch of Republican pomegranate fuckers they are.

...No, I will not explain that.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

You know there's already an official Megaman remake where you can play as Roll? You can get her multiple outfits and everything. Not Nintendo, but PSP's pretty easy to emulate nowadays, I can even run that shit on my phone no problem.

And speaking of hacks, a nifty aspect of the NES games that come with the Nintendo online is that they're also releasing hacked versions.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I have Mega Man Powered Up, too, and I've logged about... 307 hours on it? I think? So the game's become kinda dull at this point. Also, it's only a remake of the first Mega Man; there are Roll-chan hacks for all six NES Mega Man games, as well as the Game Boy titles... which I'll never be able to play, because Nintendo is cancer.

... Plus, I lost my PSP charger, like, five years ago.

And I have not (yet) seen a single hacked NES game on the Switch. I've seen Kirby, Metroid, the abomination that is Lolo's Adventure, and Blaster Master. Maybe there are others, I dunno. Nintendo Online is kinda shit.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

They're called the "SP" special edition or something. For example the Zelda SP makes you start with most if not all items and changes the map accordingly.

As for Roll-chan, you could still make your own roms by acquiring the cartridges somehow and digitalizing them.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

maglag wrote:As for Roll-chan, you could still make your own roms by acquiring the cartridges somehow and digitalizing them.
:sarcasm:

Half asleep upon my knee
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

FUCKING HELL THEY UPDATED SKYRIM SE AND NOW I CAN'T PLAY IT BECAUSE THE FUCKERS AT SKSE HAVEN'T CAUGHT UP YET!! FUCK

It just makes me SO MAD that mod developers working for free and because they choose to on their own time won't immediately update their content the very MICROsecond Bethesda does!

I DEMAND THAT THEY ADDRESS THIS GRIEVOUS WRONG NOW!
Half asleep upon my knee
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I'm actually kinda surprised Bethesda didn't commit a patch themselves for SKSE after the update.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Ouch, that sucks. Now, myself, I never could really get into Skyrim, no matter what weird and wonderful mods I used (multiple followers and the flying one are nice, though), but...annoying.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Google wants in the video game market with Stadia.

Basically an online streaming service they claim will work in both phones and PCs and with their own games. Also that if you were watching somebody play in youtube you could just click "play" and get in the game in 5 seconds.

I call pure bullshit on most of that because I still get lag just trying to see HD youtube videos in a good day so don't really see how they can make 4k 60 fps streaming work for the average player with average internet connection.

Then of course there's the matter they need actual good games, and the only thing half-noteworthy they had to show for it was doom eternal. Besides that "more than 100 studios already have development hardware". Notice how google just says they have the hardware, not that they're actually developing anything.

Oh and they say stadia's being launched in 2019. So hmmm, good luck getting any good games actually developed by then. And no word about the price either.

And of course the "only online, you don't own anything" aspect. Well I guess you can own a stadia controller, but I may be too optimistic about that.
Last edited by maglag on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

A former colleague of mine launched a similar service (Shadow).
Contrary to Stadia, it gives you access to a full (and powerful) Windows PC, and it's up to you to buy and install your games.

If you have a fiber connection, you can get 60fps 1080p streaming without any problem. You can probably get the same with a dsl connection, but the biggest problem you'll have is lag. With a fiber connection, the lag is low enough that you won't notice it, unless you're a hardcore player, but with a dsl connection, it can start to be a problem.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Old game observation: in Final Fantasy Tactics it seems that learning all the calculator skills, changing to a non-shit class, then setting auto battle makes things very easy, while only occasionally losing its shit and annihilating the party.

Edit: also even though I make a point of making use of even the worst characters in every jrpg I play, Cloud is just incredibly bad.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

FFT has auto battle? I don’t know if I forgot or just never knew
Count Arioch the 28th
King

It does indeed. It's hilarious to have a calculator on auto battle. Sometimes it hits the enemy party with holy and takes them out, other times it drops a cure 3 on the entire enemy party to heal 1 party member.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:It does indeed. It's hilarious to have a calculator on auto battle. Sometimes it hits the enemy party with holy and takes them out, other times it drops a cure 3 on the entire enemy party to heal 1 party member.
So you are saying that if you do this, you are taking a .. calculated risk?

:cool:
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Also, it's a bitch and a half to find a tiamat. I'm using Reis and would like her to have a dragon bro but I can't get the damn thing to spawn. And I only have 1 slot so I can't recruit the much more common Hydra/hyudra and breed one.

Edit: gonna take back one thing, Cloud is actually pretty badass after a few levels and quick charge.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

As a super big fan of the Borderlands series, I'm geeked about the Borderlands 3 trailer.

It looks like we get a new playable siren, and there will be a siren antagonist, possibly in charge of brainwashing psychos. And Maliwan will likely be a (the?) corporate enemy. Also, Tiny Tina is an adult now. I still hope Ash does her voice.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

I finally got around to playing Gunpoint somewhat recently after getting it in a Humble Bundle or from the games fairy or something. It's a very good stupid puzzle game (~1/3 of the game, you're working for the chief of police who is using you to investigate yourself as the prime suspect in a murder you're also trying to avenge). You don't usually fight, you hack stuff to get the guards wandering around to turn off the lights in another room with the motion detector to get other guards to open a pit trap below themselves with the light switch, which takes just long enough for you to sneak through a door to get access to a different color/security level of stuff to hack to cause more trouble. Good, if short.

Anyway, I enjoyed it, and bought Heat Signature. A stealth game by the same people about murdering guards to steal things in randomly-generated space ships, except it's less about setting things up, and more about screwing up and figuring out how to use your weird tools to pull a success out of your ass. You can disable or suborn enemy shields, turrets (they're slow and don't do much to either side), and robots with charge-based tools. The real fun are the 3 (also charge-based) teleporters: long-distance but need a clear path (no walls/closed doors), swap places with an enemy (to kill their partner, then kill them when they make it back to that part of the ship), and teleport wherever you want but you come back 2 seconds later. I also understand a popular strategy is to rescue targets shooting out a window to space them, jumping into your tiny space ship, and catching them with it.

Re: Borderlands: there never seemed to be enough different types of weapons/shields. I went in expecting "find weird weapons that are better than everything else in some way, but terrible in another, and use it until you find something else more hilarious", but it was mostly "white level 17 vendor trash, blue level 16 vendor trash, green level 18 garbage I'll use until I find the unique I want." 99% of everything you find is trash, and by the time you find something you like, it's too low-level to do anything. They probably need to do away with rarity and just add another set of egos to everything.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

There was a DoA6 tournament (didn't even realize that was a thing -- the game is basically a meme) before a stream I wanted to see and I caught a little bit and I'm astounded that despite the fact that the game is supposed to be entirely based on anime tiddies, it looks like absolute garbage. Maybe they shoulda spend a little less time on their "jiggly physics" and a little more on making the characters not look like they have skin made out of cling wrap.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Had a similar borderlands experience. Every gun I found felt puny and plinky. I liked the story but didn't like having to shoot everything 50 times before they died.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Had a similar borderlands experience. Every gun I found felt puny and plinky. I liked the story but didn't like having to shoot everything 50 times before they died.
Same here. A FPS with unsatisfying guns is an unsatisfying FPS. Your shotgun should blast enemies and send them flying, not display a slightly higher number over their head than your pistol and kick them back 10% more.
Plus it tried very hard to be funny and failed most of the time.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i had forgotten how fuckoff lethal fallout2 is . . and of course, because i had forgotten, no frequent saves . . and now i have lost 1.5 hours of progress to 2 slavers with an SMG and a 44 Magnum . . -.-
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Stahlseele wrote:i had forgotten how fuckoff lethal fallout2 is . . and of course, because i had forgotten, no frequent saves . . and now i have lost 1.5 hours of progress to 2 slavers with an SMG and a 44 Magnum . . -.-
Yeah, both of the Fallout games were like that. A good plan is to save before going out onto the world map.

I think the problem might be related to a high crit chance, especially noticeable with automatic weapons.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah . . i have now more or lesds adopeted the "save before worldmap" method.
Also: fuck friendly fire . . . more than once either vic or sulik shot either me or each other to pieces . . or friendly other characters in a combat, which made them turn all on me -.-
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

So, anyone know anything about Front Mission 3?

I just want to know if you have to have a matched pair of arms to learn skills, or if you can learn 2 at once with a mixed pair. This is one of the more obscure squaresoft RPGs and I can't easily find the question.