Still more Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

So, what, any bodily orifice could also count as a 'portal'?
Blech.

Maybe it's all the Metalocalypse episodes, but "I teleport my sword into Tiamat's Heart" somehow seems like some nice lyrics right now.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I think we established that Aelryinth is a tool a long time ago.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Psychic Robot wrote:No, no. That guy has to be joking.
Read page 2&3 of the thread, he explains that he really really totally thinks that he has found an awesome rules exploit.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Maxus wrote:That's actually kind of odd. I mean, I'd put all character-developing in together, or have a "Team developing" forum so people could easily explore team synergy, since that seems to be so important in 4e. A lot of the powers I've heard described lend themselves to a format where one uses a power to somehow affect the enemy, and one or more other party members takes advantage of the weakness and attacks the enemy.
Of course not. If they are separated so that people never make effective teams, their retarded game breaks less. :P
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Who the fuck is this Burly Warlock douchetard?
Here's an idea: How about instead of forcing Jack to defend himself for no reason, we actually discuss the topic? OMGZNOWAY!!!
What a [EDITED]. I hope he gets run over by a short bus.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

I love how Jack goes from "Look at this awesome loophole I found!" to "C'mon guys...it's just meant to be funny."

And yet, he still seems to believe it's a legitimate rules interpretation...

...I feel like doing something nice for my gaming group. None of them could be this idiotic if they tried.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Really, I'll bet most of us are quite blessed with our current gaming groups. I have two really quiet players who don't do a whole lot, but they're not morons.

They deserve cookies.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

I have a gaming group that manages to have fun, regardless of how crazy the rules are. I feel blessed, too.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I have no gaming group, here in South Australia ;_;

The people I play with over message boards, however, are pretty cool. Every now and then I point out a dumb loophole and they find it funny.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Oh noes! People can hide!
Cause you never leave concealment, so you remain concealed and hidden.... the only thing is... all your Stealth checks would be at -5, so it's not as good as you might think... but damn... good eye!
This has the potential to be maybe a little overpowered...
That is what 4e people complain about. Apparently people able to do anything at all (even if that thing is apparently "have a 50/50 shot of sneaking past a level appropriate guard"), it is cause for concern.

-Username17
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Eh. I'm currently without a gaming group, even an online one. For a variety of reasons.

1) My first DM was a narcissistic asshole who placed much more importance on Law-Chaos than on Good-Evil. And was definitely anti-Law.

2) I then tried some friends. But one of them is an optimizer who pays you the compliment of assuming your characters will be able to keep up with the challenges he provides.

And other...he and his group play waaaaay too late into the night, and at random intervals. For someone who lives with other people and is also required to function during daylight hours, this doesn't work. He also gets player groups of 7-8 people, and not all of them make it every session, which grates on my nerves.

Not the mention some of them have issues, like the guy who invariably plays a serial killer.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

FrankTrollman wrote:Oh noes! People can hide!
Cause you never leave concealment, so you remain concealed and hidden.... the only thing is... all your Stealth checks would be at -5, so it's not as good as you might think... but damn... good eye!
This has the potential to be maybe a little overpowered...
That is what 4e people complain about. Apparently people able to do anything at all (even if that thing is apparently "have a 50/50 shot of sneaking past a level appropriate guard"), it is cause for concern.

-Username17
Eh, the one thing I agree with's that the rogue seems to be crying over it.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

sigma999 wrote:So, what, any bodily orifice could also count as a 'portal'?
Blech.

Maybe it's all the Metalocalypse episodes, but "I teleport my sword into Tiamat's Heart" somehow seems like some nice lyrics right now.
so what about using the violent thrust option of Telekinesis on the various interior organs of a dragon, and thrusting them all one direction or another inside of it as a method of killing it?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Maxus wrote:Eh. I'm currently without a gaming group, even an online one. For a variety of reasons.

1) My first DM was a narcissistic asshole who placed much more importance on Law-Chaos than on Good-Evil. And was definitely anti-Law.

2) I then tried some friends. But one of them is an optimizer who pays you the compliment of assuming your characters will be able to keep up with the challenges he provides.

And other...he and his group play waaaaay too late into the night, and at random intervals. For someone who lives with other people and is also required to function during daylight hours, this doesn't work. He also gets player groups of 7-8 people, and not all of them make it every session, which grates on my nerves.

Not the mention some of them have issues, like the guy who invariably plays a serial killer.
That sounds like my problems, except I;m the one that causes the keeping up one.

I have some friends, but we play too infrequently, and too late at night. And when I DM, I expect more from them then they can usually give.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1040432

That's alot of people arguing that you can't make portals with any change in altitude because they measure height in feet rather than squares.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Gratuitous-Monkey wrote:The system mostly assumes that everything is on a 2d grid, and squares are all at ground level.
Okay, +5 for the name, but -100 for the "D&D is two-dimensional" argument. I have a manticore who would like to disabuse him of the notion.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Actually, I'm more worried with "most classes have more than one ability to move enemies" - WTF are they playing, Monopoly? Seems like one of the big dramatic powers of 4E is "moving people a few squares, because we refuse to simulate anything by using real measurement".
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Bigode wrote:Actually, I'm more worried with "most classes have more than one ability to move enemies" - WTF are they playing, Monopoly? Seems like one of the big dramatic powers of 4E is "moving people a few squares, because we refuse to simulate anything by using real measurement".
Projected 4e BBEG scene:

Paladin PC: "Now, Lord Darknaught, you shall pay for your crimes!" I roll a 27...that's 7 damage, plus I moved him four squares!"
GM: "Your god is weak...taste the power of Asmodeous!" He dashes back to you and swings...hits...you take 8 points, plus he moves you ten squares.
All PCs: Oh crap! This guy's a major badass!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Bigode wrote:Actually, I'm more worried with "most classes have more than one ability to move enemies" - WTF are they playing, Monopoly? Seems like one of the big dramatic powers of 4E is "moving people a few squares, because we refuse to simulate anything by using real measurement".
This makes me wonder if, should a group be forced (at gunpoint) to play 4E, they could find a way to slightly speed fights up from 6 hours to perhaps 4-5, by always choosing "straight up" for the "shift an enemy" powers.

You're sure to get a few extra dice of damage from that, right?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Prak_Anima wrote:
sigma999 wrote:So, what, any bodily orifice could also count as a 'portal'?
Blech.

so what about using the violent thrust option of Telekinesis on the various interior organs of a dragon, and thrusting them all one direction or another inside of it as a method of killing it?
There's a thread somewhere here discussing telekinetic weapons.
I imagine anything that resembles a normal melee weapon, but instead of the handle or hilt there is another copy of the dangerous bit.

Such an object could be spun at high speed like the stone devil's weapon in Ninja Scroll.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Talisman wrote:
Projected 4e BBEG scene:

Paladin PC: "Now, Lord Darknaught, you shall pay for your crimes!" I roll a 27...that's 7 damage, plus I moved him four squares!"
GM: "Your god is weak...taste the power of Asmodeous!" He dashes back to you and swings...hits...you take 8 points, plus he moves you ten squares.
All PCs: Oh crap! This guy's a major badass!
I actually like the movement system. I'm just sorry that they dont' have a mechanic that lets you throw enemies back through walls and stuff. It'd make a cool epic fight when you can launch foes through the walls of buildings.

3.5 combats were so damn static. It always felt stupid to me that people got hit by the tail of a dragon or a bite and somehow managed to stay in the same square.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

I admit I've never quite thought about Superman having that problem before. Shame he stopped fighting and started talking and got himself caputured..

I'm also reminded of the Order of the Stick, when Roy apparently Power Attacks Miko with enough force to fling her into the wall on the other side of the room.
Last edited by Maxus on Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Maxus wrote:I'm also reminded of the Order of the Stick, when Roy apparently Power Attacks Miko with enough force to fling her into the wall on the other side of the room.
Which, you know, is impossible in 3.x unless you grab those stupid monster-only feats.
But it should be possible for any warrior. I think it is in 4e.
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:I actually like the movement system. I'm just sorry that they dont' have a mechanic that lets you throw enemies back through walls and stuff. It'd make a cool epic fight when you can launch foes through the walls of buildings.

3.5 combats were so damn static. It always felt stupid to me that people got hit by the tail of a dragon or a bite and somehow managed to stay in the same square.
Agreed; I was just pointing out that 4e seems to have an unusually high focus on abilities that move people a few squares. Famine or feast, eh?