General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Neo Phonelobster Prime
Knight

Re: D&D Movie

Post by Neo Phonelobster Prime »

AntonellaBiserka wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:15 am
Sounds like the D&D movie captured the spirit of the game well, with fun nods for longtime players. I should go and check it out. Am yet to watch it.
You know, I've been holding back a bit on my opinion of this movie. In part because I couldn't figure it out. But that triggered it. I think I understand why it just... wasn't right for me.

You see. I didn't really like it. It was better than the other ones, but come on FUCKING LOW BAR am I rite?

And it BARELY hurdled that bar in a lot of ways. It had fun moments but it just felt so... uneventful and frustrating and now I know why.

Because it DID capture the spirit of the game.

Or rather. A game.

As in a bad one. Its characters, its plotline, the way events played out. It was a bad game of D&D presented as if it was roaring good fun despite it being painfully obvious that it wasn't.

Most of the characters were wildly ineffective. They hardly ever used or seemed to understand the abilities they had. Which were only ever any good when they seemed to be unique house ruled abilities. They even wrote in character backstories so they were straight up written to be weak ass ineffective loser characters.

They could barely handle any encounters at all and then largely through again unique house ruling and obvious GM charity/low balling. They were OBVIOUSLY not up to playing at the CR/whatever it is these days that they were supposed to/trying to. To a large extent the story had to almost resolve it fucking self.

And nothing. NOTHING felt like something the player characters achieved themselves. Nothing even felt like it mattered.

And five minutes after watching it no one remembers anything but an owlbear and that one melty illusion gag.

This is SO the worst of the worst D&D games I have played. It's fucking painful.

Its like my adventures in Our Favorite Edition But on pain killers and downers instead of steroids and crack.
- The rarely observed alternative timeline Phonelobster
3% Milk
NPC

Post by 3% Milk »

Because it DID capture the spirit of the game.

Or rather. A game.

As in a bad one
I just wanted to say that I agree with this 100%. This movie blows and if it was the reflection of an actual game group I would never want to play with those people.
erik
King

Post by erik »

People not liking one of my favorite movies of last year?

I am going to like it even harder now.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I feel like it's worth a rewatch at home now. But I guess I didn't buy it when it came out on DVD. I'll have to see if it's streaming or if it's possible to buy movies anywhere any more.
-This space intentionally left blank
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

erik wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:38 pm

I am going to like it even harder now.
That energy I do like. :cool:
Neo Phonelobster Prime
Knight

Post by Neo Phonelobster Prime »

erik wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:38 pm
This is what I was talking about for low fucking bars though.

Being better than other movies from 2023 is the standard for liking something harder?

Then I guess there isn't any other choice, after all 2023 is the year that "everyone" agreed the best two movies were fucking Oppenheimer and Barbie for fuck sake.

The year Rebel Moon - Part 1 : Child of Fire was drugged, prodded and released into the wild.

Like harder away, at least it won't be getting an extended Snyder cut for no reason so how badly can you hurt yourself on the soft edges of your chosen bland child safe movie replica?

But then again if that's what you are after, I don't know what the fuck your problem is with Nimona since it came out in 2023 and is about 34 times better... and still not for me.
- The rarely observed alternative timeline Phonelobster
erik
King

Post by erik »

It is a fuckin low bar, but I did honestly enjoy the movie and have a lot of fun in the watching. I think I've watched it once again at home and still enjoyed it. I don't get out to the movie theatre too much anymore. I think other 2023 movies I saw were Equalizer 3 (this was a piece of garbage movie, whether you liked the others or not, wasn't my pick but went with a friend), 5 Nights at Freddy's (ok movie, wasn't my pick but went with a friend), and Spiderman Across the Spiderverse (my most favorite, a masterpiece). I caught up on some other newish releases from the last few years as well, but those 4 I think were my only 2023 movie theatre viewings, and it's no shame for D&D to come in behind Spiderverse. I think I would put those 2 up in my top against my last 3-4 years of movie theatre watching. Again still a low bar on account of pandemic n' such, but there it is.

The D&D movie was a very fun watch, and re-watch.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

D&D was my second favourite 2023 movie. In that John Wick 4 came out that year, and I got that as well.