Ending TNE Work Stoppage

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Crissa, maybe I'm the only person with this problem, but I honestly cannot figure out what you're trying to say in at least half the posts you've made in this thread.

For example:
Crissa wrote:The Keymaker.

The fact that you guys don't seem to understand that just being able to make a Hanzo sword is a salable ability, even if no swords are even made, depresses me.
I'm not confident that I'm thinking of the same Keymaker as you. If I am, I don't see how the example is relevant to the discussion. I don't even understand why the concept of salability is relevant to the discussion in the first place.

I would appreciate it if you tried to make your thought process more explicit.

virgileso wrote:These ranges are not all inclusive. A Troll can be Melee Range of Tordek the Fighter, Tordek can be in Melee Range of Sancho, and yet Sancho can remain outside Melee Range with Tordek.
I don't think either of those sentences said what you wanted it to say. I suspect you wanted to say "transitive" rather than "all inclusive" and that the last word of the second sentence should be replaced with "the troll." If that's not what you meant, then I don't understand at all.

The thing that concerns me with most of the gridless combat ideas so far is that they're tending towards requiring you to separately specify the relation between every pair of characters/objects in the scene, which means we need O(N^2) words to describe a scene with N important things in it...and potentially O(N) or O(N^2) work required to update everything when someone moves. My intuition is that this is going to tend to result in a lot more work than necessary much of the time.

I'm not sure exactly what to do instead, but maybe something involving dynamic groups of positionally related objects, or something where we don't need to know or care about the relative positions of anything but a few key pairs? It doesn't necessarily need to be efficient in all cases, just in typical cases.

baduin wrote:On the other hand, non-combat abilites cannot be in any way tied to the character level - this follows directly from the definition of the level, which measures only the combat ability. Since one of the main aims of an RPG is creating a plausible world, which seems to exist beyond the combat, the non-combat abilites should be constructed in such a way as to increase the plausibility of the world. In other words, they should be acquired exactly like skills are acquired in normal life: by training, learning, or by doing. Real people don't have any fixed number of slots for different skills. Their skills are limited by their talents (ability scores), their opportunities, persistence in learning and time used to learn.
First of all, I'm not sure everyone would like your given definition of level (as being related only to combat ability).

Secondly, combat abilities in real life are acquired in pretty much the same way as non-combat abilities. But most people feel that verisimilitude should take a back seat to playability, and so we only allow player characters to acquire combat power in completely unrealistic fashions, because keeping everyone at a similar power level is considered more important. I don't think that deliberately giving some players more or more useful non-combat abilities based on their character's background or what they do in their off-screen time is a good idea; this is going to lead to people min/maxing their backgrounds and downtime.

That said, I think that it's true that we don't want awesome creatures to automatically beat children and mooks at mundane tasks, so something like "+level to all skills" may be a bad idea. But I also think we want to limit the number of independent metrics of character power and allow people to feel like their characters are becoming better at non-combat stuff as they play. Maybe as you gain levels, you don't become better at any given non-combat skill, but you become proficient in a larger number of skills? And maybe get the ability to swap out an old non-combat ability for a new, more relevant one, or some such.
Falgund
Journeyman

Post by Falgund »

Crissa wrote:The fact that you guys don't seem to understand that just being able to make a Hanzo sword is a salable ability, even if no swords are even made, depresses me.
It's because you can sell the ability "being able to make a Hanzo sword", even if you can't make a Hanzo sword.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Look, RC doesn't want a merchant minigame, and PL doesn't want a talking minigame.

Personally, I don't care if there's a combat minigame. When it comes down to combat, you're just playing Munchkin and stacking things together (which should stack if there's a game) to win a scene.

But I am totally wedded to minigames for Chasing, Navigating, and Merchant, Talking. Maybe Merchant and Talking are the same, maybe they're merely different scales like Chasing and Navigating.

Crafting is something I'm fine with there not being a minigame for. But we don't need one for eating contests, either; or marksmen contests - even though those sometimes find their way into good stories. But these things have value in the Merchant mini-game, so everyone 'plays' if we have the minigame at all.

And yes, Pirates! requires a Merchant mini-game.

-Crissa
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Crissa wrote:The Keymaker.

The fact that you guys don't seem to understand that just being able to make a Hanzo sword is a salable ability, even if no swords are even made, depresses me.

-Crissa
Obviously the believable promise of awesome stuff is a useful negotiating tool, even if that awesome stuff doesn't quite exist yet. And of the only other situation I can think of that you could have possibly meant, when master craftsmen are hired on by the local lord and payed a salary just for hanging around and doing their thing rather than being payed directly for each product, if they don't actually make any swords they're going to end up fired or jailed after a while. Maybe this is some kind of west coast philosophy I'm just not getting, but people aren't going to give you money just for having a skill unless doing that benefits them somehow. They might give you money to not use your skill for one reason or the other, but that's more like extortion and covered by Talking.

The Keymaker? Google tells me your talking about that character in the Matrix, what's the connection?
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Manxome wrote:
virgileso wrote:These ranges are not all inclusive. A Troll can be Melee Range of Tordek the Fighter, Tordek can be in Melee Range of Sancho, and yet Sancho can remain outside Melee Range with Tordek.
I don't think either of those sentences said what you wanted it to say. I suspect you wanted to say "transitive" rather than "all inclusive" and that the last word of the second sentence should be replaced with "the troll." If that's not what you meant, then I don't understand at all.
Aye, that's a grammatical mistake on my part, I'll fix it here shortly.

As for the gridless combat thing, the piont isn't that you have a giant list of ranges. Ideally, you divide a room into a cluster of zones. You're automatically in Close Range of everything within the same zone, Medium Range for things in different zones, or intentionally making yourself in Melee Range with something. Hence, my earlier description in this thread of it being a Venn Diagram combat system.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

virgileso posted while I was writing...
As for the gridless combat thing, the piont isn't that you have a giant list of ranges. Ideally, you divide a room into a cluster of zones. You're automatically in Close Range of everything within the same zone, Medium Range for things in different zones, or intentionally making yourself in Melee Range with something.
So...it's basically grid combat, just with large grid squares? You know at all times which "zone" each character is in, and movement speeds and ranges are effectively specified as a number of zones, except that then you also have this "melee range" thing that's smaller than a zone and follows completely different rules from all other ranges and acts more like some sort of status effect?

What I wrote in the mean time:

So, a thought on limiting the verbosity of abstract positioning. Feel free to use this as a straw man to further articulate what you want.

Fluff: Combat involves lots of highly focused stuff happening in a small amount of time. Things are often confused and chaotic, and people make many small, rapid movements to try and avoid pointy objects or gain positional advantage. Consequently, you can't consider every other entity on the battlefield every time you move, and your distance to various things you're not paying attention to might change quite incidentally.

Crunch: Every character declares a focus of their attention (which may change each round). This could be another character, an object, or a location. You always know the current distance between you and your focus as an abstract range category (e.g. melee, close, etc.)

On your turn, you can take a movement action to attempt to change the distance between yourself and your focus. If your focus is capable of movement, it can opt to oppose your movement, in which case you do something involving a die roll and maybe invoking special abilities and expendable resources. We probably divide everything into the "flee" and "circle" options Frank described. If your focus does not or cannot oppose you, your distance just changes based on your standard speed or the ability you chose to use.

Regardless, when you declare any sort of movement action, you can only specify how close/far you want to be from your focus. You cannot specifically attempt to change your distance to any other location or object.

When the GM describes a scene, he simply lists each character, that character's focus, and how far that character is from his/her focus. This means there are only N distances specified for N characters/objects. All other distances are incidental--none of the actors are specifically concerned with them, and so they might fluctuate more or less at random.

The GM also sets the battle's scale, which basically describes how large an area the battle occupies (which will often be restricted by the size of the room or other environment). The GM can declare a new scale at the start of each round, but normally it won't change after the battle starts. The scale should just be large enough to encompass the "main part" of the battle, not the outermost snipers.

If we ever need to know the distance between two characters not focused on each other (for example, if someone decides to change their focus), we determine the distance as follows:

1. If we know the distance from Alice to Bob, and from Bob to Carl, then the distance category from Bob to Carl is assumed to be the larger of those two. This works transitively, so if we know the distance from Carl to Denis, we can use the inferred distance from Bob to Carl to get the distance from Bob to Denis.

*Exception: If the two distance categories are the same, and they are less than the battle's scale, then the inferred distance is one category larger. So if the scale is "medium," then when Bob is "melee" from both Alice and Carl, Alice and Carl will be melee+1 from each other, but if Bob is "far" from both Alice and Carl, then Alice and Carl are just far from each other.

2. If we can't infer distance using rule 1 (there's no transitive path), then the distance is the battle's scale.

Then we probably have penalties for actions that target something other than your focus, and maybe some methods for opposing movement require you to focus on them, and things like that.

Here's where things get sticky. If you move, we need to know what happens to the distance between you and the people who are focused on you.

The simplest option is that it stays the same, but that has some very weird edge cases (like if you teleport and the person who was meleeing you gets pulled along for the ride, or if you charge up to the wizard without getting any closer to his bodyguard who's focused on you).

The most robust option involves giving them the option to oppose your movement, but then we'd really need to give everyone focused on them the option to opposed their movement, and so on, and that becomes unwieldy.

So I'm thinking that when you move, then someone who is focused on you can opt to change their distance to the battle's scale, but otherwise it becomes the minimum of (a) their previous distance plus the amount you moved, or (b) their new inferred distance to you, if we ignore their previous distance to you.

There's some rough edges to be ironed out, obviously. Maybe one or two special cases where you can manipulate distances by switching your focus to a third party, but with penalties for acting against someone other than your focus, I suspect the abuse can be kept within tolerable bounds.

Thoughts?
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

While on the one hand I can see the benefits of abstract positioning, it's looking like its ultimately going to be slower (at least in most formats) and less flexible than what we have now. The main problems, as I see them:

1) Less Intuitive: With real positioning (grid based, measured, whatever), movement is very natural to understand - you move your character to where you want them to be, and you can see at a glance where your foes and allies are. You don't need to understand what the abstractions are representing or figure out how to represent anything, because the position of the characters represents itself, literally.

2) Breaks down when relationships aren't 1-to-1: Against a single foe, abstract positioning is easy and fun. When you're talking about a squad of PCs fighting a horde of monsters in a room with lava pits and runic traps, and both sides are potentially trying to escape, prevent the other side from escaping, and/or force the other side into hazards, things get crazy as hell.

3) No emergent tactics: With abstract positioning, things like shield+spear walls, blocking escape routes, finding a position you can move in and out of cover, sneaking around the warriors to attack the back line, flanking manuevers, and so forth can't just arise naturally from the positions people move to. Each one would have to be specified as a class power or general manuever, with specific rules. At this point, you aren't coming up with creative positioning tactics, you're just reading your character sheet.

Now maybe there's a way around these, but I'm not seeing it. What I do think is that it could be practical to support both positioning systems - real positioning for close in combat (especially with terrain features) and abstract positioning for long-range/mobile/quick battles.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

1) It's more intuitive to follow a newbie's command 'I attack the Orc' 'I block the door'.

2) No, but they never were.

3) What stops you from specifying those things? And if being the focus of another character is a status condition that affects your choices...

-Crissa
SphereOfFeetMan
Knight-Baron

Post by SphereOfFeetMan »

Ice9 wrote:2) Breaks down when relationships aren't 1-to-1: Against a single foe, abstract positioning is easy and fun. When you're talking about a squad of PCs fighting a horde of monsters in a room with lava pits and runic traps, and both sides are potentially trying to escape, prevent the other side from escaping, and/or force the other side into hazards, things get crazy as hell.
This is my thought as well. I think this question is important:

What is the maximum level of complexity that a battlefield can have in the proposed abstract positioning system, and still be understood by the average player?
Ice9 wrote:Now maybe there's a way around these, but I'm not seeing it. What I do think is that it could be practical to support both positioning systems - real positioning for close in combat (especially with terrain features) and abstract positioning for long-range/mobile/quick battles.
I think it would be great if the combat system was flexible enough to allow for both grid and abstract positioning in combat. I don't know if this is practical, however.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Ice9 wrote:1) Less Intuitive
As per Crissa, no, it can easily be more intuitive. Indeed, that's one of the main points of having it.
2) Breaks down when relationships aren't 1-to-1: Against a single foe, abstract positioning is easy and fun. When you're talking about a squad of PCs fighting a horde of monsters in a room with lava pits and runic traps
Again, Crissa has most of it. A complex fight with lots of stuff will maintain a high level of complexity in resolution, that's pretty much by its very definition.

Meanwhile a faster positioning system without a massive number of discrete fixed positions will make the resolution just that little bit faster. So why the heck you bring up "complexity" as a criticism I can't imagine since abstracted simplified systems win at dealing with complexity issues.
3) No emergent tactics: With abstract positioning...
You realise you have effectively just said that Descent can have emergent tactics but Arkham Horror can't.

Or if you aren't up on the hip new games kids are playing these days substitute Checkers and Risk.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Ice9 wrote:1) Less Intuitive
As per Crissa, no, it can easily be more intuitive. Indeed, that's one of the main points of having it.
2) Breaks down when relationships aren't 1-to-1: Against a single foe, abstract positioning is easy and fun. When you're talking about a squad of PCs fighting a horde of monsters in a room with lava pits and runic traps
Again, Crissa has most of it. A complex fight with lots of stuff will maintain a high level of complexity in resolution, that's pretty much by its very definition.

Meanwhile a faster positioning system without a massive number of discrete fixed positions will make the resolution just that little bit faster. So why the heck you bring up "complexity" as a criticism I can't imagine since abstracted simplified systems win at dealing with complexity issues.
3) No emergent tactics: With abstract positioning...
You realise you have effectively just said that Descent can have emergent tactics but Arkham Horror can't.

Or if you aren't up on the hip new games kids are playing these days substitute Checkers and Diplomacy.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

I think you're being a bit hard on Ice9.

I think it's entirely true that a visual, spatial representation of a battle will generally be easier to absorb and understand than an abstract verbal one. However, it takes more work to generate or update, and can't be transmitted easily through many mediums.

In other words, the player would probably be happier seeing a map, but the GM may not want to draw a map (and especially may not want to re-draw the map with everyone's updated positions after every turn), and may not even be able to show the map to the players if he draws it (if, for example, you're playing over IM).

I also think the rules for a concrete positioning system are likely to feel more natural to players and be easier to learn. People deal with spatial relationships a lot in real life, and therefore have intuitions about them. However, I think an abstract system has the potential to make resolving encounters faster and easier once it has been learned, by simplifying details that we don't care about.

And you're wrong about the emergent tactics bit. Spear walls and flanking don't emerge from the fact that you've got grid-based movement, they emerge from the fact that you have rules like threatened areas and AoOs and sneak attacks and so forth. You can create combat rules with emergent properties even when you're using no positioning system at all. With an abstract positioning system, you can create abilities that function at different ranges and which make it easier or harder to get to or stay at particular ranges. You won't get the same emergent tactics you'd get with grid-based movement, but you can still have emergent tactics.
SphereOfFeetMan wrote:I think it would be great if the combat system was flexible enough to allow for both grid and abstract positioning in combat. I don't know if this is practical, however.
If the combat system works under two very different abstractions of position and movement, that implies that it doesn't really have any significant interactions with either one of those abstractions, which means that positioning probably has very little effect on combat.

Let me make a counter-suggestion: it would be nice if there existed a clean and easy way to visually represent the abstract positioning system. So, if you happen to have miniatures (or a white board, or whatever), you can push them around on the table to represent the same information that someone would otherwise have to write down in words, with minimal chance for error or misunderstanding.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

My experience is that while abstract does work fine most of the time it is much more prone to misunderstandings in the situation whether from unclear descriptions or bad memories. "what do mean the switch is next to the princess's cage? I thought it was nest to the throne!" or "no, I am next to the chest not the table" is somewhat common comments from my experience in abstract games.

Visual representations often have an advantage and while I don't want to be forced into using them, I would like to be able to as a part of the rules set. Perhaps having it optional would be an idea.
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Manxome wrote:virgileso posted while I was writing...
As for the gridless combat thing, the piont isn't that you have a giant list of ranges. Ideally, you divide a room into a cluster of zones. You're automatically in Close Range of everything within the same zone, Medium Range for things in different zones, or intentionally making yourself in Melee Range with something.
So...it's basically grid combat, just with large grid squares? You know at all times which "zone" each character is in, and movement speeds and ranges are effectively specified as a number of zones, except that then you also have this "melee range" thing that's smaller than a zone and follows completely different rules from all other ranges and acts more like some sort of status effect?
The only rule change between Melee Range and the others, is that people can actually oppose you.

That's a to describe it, large abstract-ish grid squares. You could simplify it a bit by saying that one you're at Medium Range from Xerxes, you're at Medium Range from everything within Close Range (or closer) of Xerxes.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

virgileso wrote:The only rule change between Melee Range and the others, is that people can actually oppose you.
I got the impression from your earlier description that you could determine any range other than melee strictly by checking what zones people were in, and that melee was a range that you might or might not have with other things in the same zone.

Is that incorrect? Because if that's how it works, I have a really hard time understanding how the rules for getting in and out of melee range could have more than a passing similarity to the rules for getting in and out of other ranges. The only way to get in or out of other ranges would be to change which zone you and/or your target occupied; the only ways to transition between "melee" and "close" would involve not changing zones at all (or maybe moving both you and your target together?). Sounds to me like "melee range" is abstract and everything else is every bit as concrete as it ever was (though with less granularity). Am I missing something?

And your references to venn diagrams sound like an entirely different system. Maybe I'm just confused.
virgileso wrote:That's a to describe it, large abstract-ish grid squares. You could simplify it a bit by saying that one you're at Medium Range from Xerxes, you're at Medium Range from everything within Close Range (or closer) of Xerxes.
I have a hard time swallowing "you're allowed to use the triangle inequality" as a simplification.

I suppose in comparison to not being allowed to use it...
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Even with a playmat, you end up asking questions like 'Is that guy blocking my path to the door?' or 'Is that rough terrain or not?'

With an abstract system, the mat isn't required... We've played d20 without a mat many a time; and that's sortof what Frank was describing here.

However, to do this means changing the DM from someone who merely moves pieces on a board to instead the arbiter of the board itself. Which, if you've ever played in a non-visual medium is more like what the DM did originally.

I rather like instead of AoO we have status effects for people being focused on by other people... Sortof like 4e, but without all the numbers, I'm hoping.

-Crissa
Tydanosaurus
Journeyman

Post by Tydanosaurus »

Ice 9 wrote:3) No emergent tactics: With abstract positioning, things like shield+spear walls, blocking escape routes, finding a position you can move in and out of cover, sneaking around the warriors to attack the back line, flanking manuevers, and so forth can't just arise naturally from the positions people move to. Each one would have to be specified as a class power or general manuever, with specific rules. At this point, you aren't coming up with creative positioning tactics, you're just reading your character sheet.
Crissa wrote:3) What stops you from specifying those things? And if being the focus of another character is a status condition that affects your choices...
IMO, you're both right. But there's a difference in kind between having "flanking" (for example) be a status effect instead of an effect of geometry.

A mapless system could have a series of moves or abilities that impose or remove "Flanking," and take advantage of it. The system could be pretty simple and still allow a lot of interaction. But because any mapless system is already pre-defined by the series of moves allowed, I'm not sure how it keeps the same "open-ended" feel of a mapped system. ("Open-ended" isn't really open-ended, that's an illusion. Still, it feels like it.) Is there a way to do this where the GM doesn't listen to the player's move, and in the end say, "OK, that's a Flanking Maneuver," or something similar?
Tydanosaurus
Journeyman

Post by Tydanosaurus »

Crissa wrote:However, to do this means changing the DM from someone who merely moves pieces on a board to instead the arbiter of the board itself. Which, if you've ever played in a non-visual medium is more like what the DM did originally.
Do you think "Mapless" has to mean "DM is arbiter?" I think it just means a different sort of expression. A mapless system could simply be expressed as:

Orc3 Door Medium East
Berserker1 (Blocking) Medium East
Orc1 Melee Balok Center
Orc2 Melee Balok (Flanked) Center
Unoccupied Table Medium West
Orc4 Melee Dwimble (Blocking) Medium West
Unoccupied Door Long West
Loris Long West

You could define an "Area" as enough space in which melee combat could occur, which would change depending on the sie of the combatants. Maybe 20'x20' for man-sized, getting bigger for bigger things. This is a 60'x20' room.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Tydanosaurus wrote:But because any mapless system is already pre-defined by the series of moves allowed, I'm not sure how it keeps the same "open-ended" feel of a mapped system. ("Open-ended" isn't really open-ended, that's an illusion. Still, it feels like it.) Is there a way to do this where the GM doesn't listen to the player's move, and in the end say, "OK, that's a Flanking Maneuver," or something similar?
Since you seem to be talking about a feeling that you have about the systems, rather than any actual mechanical qualities, it's kind of hard to tell what would qualify and what wouldn't.

One could certainly construct systems with abstract positioning but where whether something qualifies as "flanking" or not is entirely defined and deterministic, rather than being a judgment call on the part of the GM. For example, "if two characters attack a single target, and they're both closer to the target than to each other, the target is considered to be flanked."
Tydanosaurus
Journeyman

Post by Tydanosaurus »

I'm not sure what that language really means w/o a map.

Let me put it another way.

With some things, abstractions are going to work out OK. For instance, bunching up versus spacing out can be handled for a group of monsters by giving them the status "Close Combat," "Skirmish," or "Normal," with effects like "Three monsters can attack, double AoE effects, etc." for "Close Combat." It won't change the feel of the game that much.

For flanking, it's more complicated. In map system, I am flanked if:

xxxxx
xninx
xxxxx

And I can "unflank" myself by moving:

xxixx
xnxnx
xxxxx

I can make that permanent w/ certain obstacles, etc.

AFAICT, that's going to be difficult to convery w/ a mapless system. Under the rule you propose, flanking would continue (arguably). Most likely, I think there would just be a Move called "Disengage" that allows me to "unflank" myself. There's probably a special Move that allows flanking in multiple-combat scrums. But IMO you're either going to have a laundry list of moves, w/ special circumstances that allow them, or EBD, w/ certain characters given special moves for oddball circumstances.

That gives opportunities for some interesting stuff. In particular, "fast" fighters can become the kings of combat moves, and get all sorts of cool things to do in melee. My concern is that things boil down to "I play my Flank card," "I counter w/ Disengage," and so on.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Or you could just have flanking be "attacked more two or more people in the same round".
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

When you're using an abstract positioning system, you can more accurately represent certain qualities of combat, such as constant motion. Virgileso is on the right track, I think. There's no reason to even think about 'two characters closer to their foe than each other' when the position of all three is in constant flux.

Tactical things like sneaking around the fighter minions to slam the technologist in the kidneys work just fine. The minions are "guarding" the technologist, and stealth is one way to bypass the "guarding" stance.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Tydanosaurus wrote:I'm not sure what that language really means w/o a map.
Every abstract positioning system discussed so far has some concept of ranges. It's a simple comparison between three ranges, as defined by whatever system you're using.

The tactical implications will be different depending on the abstract rules, but you shouldn't have any trouble understanding what it means under a given system.
Tydanosaurus wrote:My concern is that things boil down to "I play my Flank card," "I counter w/ Disengage," and so on.
Pretty much any possible system could be described in that way. I don't see why you think this is a greater concern with abstract positioning than concrete positioning.

Unless there's a helpful obstacle (like a wall you can put your back to), your movement options are pretty much the same in each fight. There will be some movement pattern your enemy can do that will keep you flanked, or there won't be, and having those options be formalized rather than be series of 3-square movements doesn't actually change the fundamental tactics involved. In fact, abstract positioning probably represents things like footwork much more faithfully, because you can represent "you're both moving back and forth a lot in a small area" a lot better than you can when you take turns doing 5-foot steps on a grid.

Abstract example: Alice is fencing Bob, and Carl chooses to focus Bob and approach for a flank, so Bob opposes the approach by circling, and he wins the movement test, so Carl can't close to melee. Alice uses a pin down attack to restrict Bob's movement so that Carl will be more likely to win the movement test the next round.

Concrete example: Alice (in a1) is fencing Bob (in b1). On his turn, Carl moves to c1 and flanks Bob. On Bob's turn, he moves to a2, allowing him to continue attacking Alice while getting away from Bob. Carl moves to a3 so that he can flank Bob again.

Maybe you think I'm picking unfair examples, but to me, the concrete system doesn't sound any more open-ended, and in fact sounds like it's suffereing from a serious abstraction failure, because Bob can't go anywhere that Carl won't be able to move behind him in a single turn without getting out of range of Alice--even though we know that circling would work if time were continuous, rather than divided into discrete rounds.
CatharzGodfoot wrote:There's no reason to even think about 'two characters closer to their foe than each other' when the position of all three is in constant flux.
So you see no problem with two archers in melee range of each other and at medium range from the monster "flanking" that monster?

There's obviously a lot of variations one could do. Under the "focus" system I sketched out, if Alice and Bob are each focused on and in melee with Carl, then the inferred distance between them is melee+1 (as long as the battle's scale is greater than melee), so they are considered farther from each other than from Carl, and thus would qualify. You could do "equal or greater" if you wanted more slack.

Or you could eliminate all consideration of distances, as you suggest, if you just want to represent the idea that avoiding attacks from two people at once is harder than avoiding attacks from one at a time, no matter where they're coming from.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Ranged guys either can't flank or need to be firing in the opposite directions...

But at any rate, while you may not be able to play without a map, a mapless system won't be in your preference. But a mapless system doesn't stop you from using a map if you want to.

-Crissa
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Maybe I should clarify more what I mean by emergent tactics:
Tactical things like sneaking around the fighter minions to slam the technologist in the kidneys work just fine. The minions are "guarding" the technologist, and stealth is one way to bypass the "guarding" stance.
This is tactics, but it isn't emergent tactics. The minions have the "guard" ability, the sneaky guy has the "stealth" ability - while there may be in-character tactics involved, all the players are doing is reading their character sheets.

Now in a non-abstract spatial system (not necessarily grid-based), if you have the minions in front of the technologist in a wide-open area, people can circle past them. So maybe they try to find a position where their flanks are guarded by walls or dangerous terrain features. And the opposing side, in turn, tries to prevent them reaching such an area, or occupy that area before they get to it, or render it unsuitable. There are various degrees of safety and various methods to circumvent them, and most of them involve more tactics (on the players' part) than "use the Guard ability to guard someone".