Still more Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Kaelik wrote:I'm pretty sure he means my discussion with TLN.

And to be honest, I cannot tell you with 100% certainty that it was TLN, but it was on gitp, where we have both been banned many a time, and it was a poster who was relatively new (after a recent banning of a TLN alt), and had many similar characteristics.

It was Covered in Bees vs Lork Okubo I think.

That was the most recent one.

Before that was Chosen of Vecna vs Reel On, Love. And in that one I am absolute about it being TLN, but it is largely lost to the history of the boards, and those were very long running accounts for both of us.
Eh, another time then. In any case, Psychic Robot's thread was epic. Epic.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

This Paizo place really is epic. Unfortunately, that is not a good thing.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So... do you guys seek out threads where these ass hats make unsolicited attacks against me or do they seriously attack me on every fucking thread of any meaningful length?

-Username17
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

LICH-LOVED SPEAKETH, MORTALS:
Here is a reason not to fix something:

Fixing any rule costs money. It costs money to discuss the possible fixes, to vet the fixes to be sure they don't break something else or would be unpopular to the majority of paying customers, to add the fix to the rulebook, to layout and produce the book with the fix in it. If the cost of all of these things added together exceeds the utility the average gamer is likely to get from the fix, then the fix shouldn't be added regardless of it's correctness. If the space consumed by the fix doesn't enhance the game as much as an alternate rule would, then for the cost, adding the new rule is a better decision than fixing a corner case in the old rule. The issue becomes even clearer when you consider that if everyone was to have "just that one rule fixed that bothered them" the rule book would be full of little new material and a bunch of patches to fix things that a wide majority of people do not believe are problems - and still you would have issues because one person's fix to a corner case would be unsuitable to others (This thread shows that well enough).

The perfect is the enemy of the good. The majority of people do not use the D&D rules to play a modified version of Gauntlet or Diablo, where characters run from scene to scene destroying everything in their wake and maximizing their "power ups" to gain "phat lootz". D&D can be played that way, but I don't recall that being a scenario discussed in the introduction to the rulebooks. The D&D rules are no more suited to that type of game then the code behind Diablo is suited to telling stories of heroic adventure.
What a bunch of idiotic horseshit. "The perfect is the enemy of the good."

Huuurh, Lich-Loved is apparently a philosopher.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Psychic Robot wrote:What a bunch of idiotic horseshit. "The perfect is the enemy of the good."
Speaking as a writer, that's actually a very useful little aphorism that I have used on many occasions. Mind you, I usually phrase it as 'the perfect is the enemy of the completed.'

Of course, Lich-Loved is an even bigger enemy of the good; game-design, that is.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

You know what...P R, just don't even respond to Lich-Loved and the like. All it does is derail the thread. Just pretend that the post isn't even there. Things like Lich-Loved posted only set the thread up for failure. If it doesn't pertain to the thread topic don't respond to it, don't even acknowledge it.

Now with what LL is saying about that the fixing rule costing money then 3.P would be a waste of money wouldn't it. I mean some people play with the core books and they are just fine and don't think anything is really that wrong with the rules (sans minor tweaks, minor enough not to buy a whole new book at least).

I also find it odd that Underling wants to lump all the Denizens in a pile even though about 98% don't two shits about pathfinder and are just playing their own game or working on their own RPG system. I can think of only about 5 or 6 people that even posted in the Pathfinder forums.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Psychic Robot wrote:What a bunch of idiotic horseshit. "The perfect is the enemy of the good."
Speaking as a writer, that's actually a very useful little aphorism that I have used on many occasions. Mind you, I usually phrase it as 'the perfect is the enemy of the completed.'

Of course, Lich-Loved is an even bigger enemy of the good; game-design, that is.
That is a good line. I'm going to have to steal that.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

FrankTrollman wrote:So... do you guys seek out threads where these ass hats make unsolicited attacks against me or do they seriously attack me on every fucking thread of any meaningful length?
You're the equivalent of the boogeyman to them. I do love that Aubrey thinks you no longer influence their forum. Its so hilariously untrue.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Leress wrote: I also find it odd that Underling wants to lump all the Denizens in a pile even though about 98% don't two shits about pathfinder and are just playing their own game or working on their own RPG system. I can think of only about 5 or 6 people that even posted in the Pathfinder forums.
Isn't this the same guy who thinks that everybody who agrees with PR about anything is a Denizen? You know, because "good Paizonians" would never question the groupthink that everything in 3.5 is fine unless Paizo has decided to change it?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Draco_Argentum wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:So... do you guys seek out threads where these ass hats make unsolicited attacks against me or do they seriously attack me on every fucking thread of any meaningful length?
You're the equivalent of the boogeyman to them. I do love that Aubrey thinks you no longer influence their forum. Its so hilariously untrue.
It's gone straight through to creepy stalker territory. Considering that these guys literally talk about me and how much they hate and fear me literally every day without any prompting, and most importantly without any input from me, makes it legitimately scary. I'm actually a little concerned that these yahoos might attempt something even crazier like track me down in person.

It's like despite the fact that I never asked any of them to, they all spontaneously decided that they had to choose a "Frank" or "anti-Frank" position and seriously seem unable to have any real discussion about any topic save the constant restatement of whichever side it is that they decided to be on. That level of obsession just isn't healthy.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

They bring you up that frequently? I have no idea myself, because I barely touch the board except for the threads that Psychic_Robot links to us, and that's WAY fewer than the number of other threads the boards have.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
bosssmiley
Apprentice

Post by bosssmiley »

Frank : the Paizo forums :: Hiroshima : contemporary Japan - a powerful formative experience that - even if never repeated - will haunt the dreams of the bein pensant Paizonians with apocalyptic imagery and inform their future thinking for generations to come.

"But...but...but how is this even possible? How can the scary orange Godzilla man be talking good sense and destroying all we know and love while breathing flaming nuclear swears on things at the same time? This paradox is beyond human comprehension!" :ugone2far:
The rules serve the game, not vice versa.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

virgileso wrote:They bring you up that frequently? I have no idea myself, because I barely touch the board except for the threads that Psychic_Robot links to us, and that's WAY fewer than the number of other threads the boards have.
They actually did in the thread squirreloid started. (PR linked it at the top of the page.) Most notably they did so before PR jumped in.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Ant wrote:
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

...What the hell? Are they actually complaining about half a point of damage (vs giant HP bars around 1.5k) as broken?

Oh noes! Your sneeze was .1 mph faster than mine! Nerf!
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

I saw it at the store myself, and was deeply skeeved.
SphereOfFeetMan
Knight-Baron

Post by SphereOfFeetMan »

That is saddening. I mean, at best (worst?), people know they are buying an unfinished product.

I've got to hand it to Paizo, however. They have one upped WotC. WotC sold playtest material in the guise of playtested material in ToB, MoI, etc. They sold reprints of the same thing repackaged. They even sold errata in the rules compendium.

But even WotC didn't have the balls to try to sell unfinished material that was advertised as unfinished material. And when they come out with the finished product, they will sell it to people a second time. Bravo Paizo.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Erm...I think the idea is to have a physical copy. They can't very well produce that for free.
Ant wrote:
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I've seen it. Not impressive in any way other than the art.

However, agreed; genius tactic. Just like 'leaking' the 4e pdf.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
The 13 Wise Buttlords
Master

Post by The 13 Wise Buttlords »

Who here goes to TvTropes.org?

It's normally a fun website, but the constant 'complaining about 4th Edition' references are pissing me off. There are plenty of good reasons to dislike this edition beyond 'it changed things and now it's ruined forever!'

At the very least, you have to agree that twisting the fair-use license in some hateful Pointed Haired Boss meets CMoT Dibbler scheme was probably one of the biggest middle fingers any company has given its fanbase.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Links to whining?
Ant wrote:
The 13 Wise Buttlords
Master

But even WotC didn't have the balls to try to sell unfinished material that was advertised as unfinished material. And when they come out with the finished product, they will sell it to people a second time. Bravo Paizo.
Unless it sucks so very, very badly that no one will give a shit about the finished product after seeing the direction that it's going in.

See: Eberron, Dragonlance d20, Sword and Sorcery, Mongoose Publishing, Realms of Calamar, that World of Warcraft sourcebook, etc.
The 13 Wise Buttlords
Master

Links to whining?
Just search for 4th Edition. 75% of the time it's whining about whiners whining.