Stand Still + 30' Reach + Falling down = No splat?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Stand Still + 30' Reach + Falling down = No splat?

Post by Judging__Eagle »

So, say someone had the Stand Still Feat; and a massive reach (assume 30' reach); this 'person' also has a lot of AoOs (so they could AoO a lot), and they were falling down.

Would they in theory be able to attack the ground as it approached them from below? Thus stopping (or at least slowing) the speed at which they approach the ground?

Now, it makes for an interesting image, but I'm not sure if the math or rules work.

[edit]
Upon looking at Stand Still, it only applies to the target's move actions. Still, it made for an interesting idea.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I'd let them grab for something and reduce their fall by their reach, sure.

-Crissa
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well if you can destroy the earth, you no longer have to worry about damage from impact with the earth.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Well if you can destroy the earth, you no longer have to worry about damage from impact with the earth.

Hmmmm :mischief:

Not likely. Wait, the weapons are adamantine and deal 26 min damage per swing. That's not enough to burrow into a 5'x5' section of unworked stone (225 hp). Wait.... 11 AoOs. They all can't be triggered, and Power Attack needs a feat to be used in the game I'm talking about.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Presumably, destroying a section of the ground results in hitting yet more ground (even if with an open space prior to it - in fact, that might just increase the damage taken when you ran outta AoOs). Also, it's you who're moving, not the ground. But so, how'd stand-stilling yourself work out? We do know you'd stop for some time, but is the answer on whether that time'd be infinitesimally small or not clear?
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Bigode wrote:But so, how'd stand-stilling yourself work out? We do know you'd stop for some time, but is the answer on whether that time'd be infinitesimally small or not clear?
Presumably You'd come to a brief but complete stop, take the appropriate amount of damage, and then start a 'new fall'.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

First off, I forgot to say the exact amount of reach wouldn't be relevant even if the objective was hitting the ground if it was valid - even 5 feet's enough to gain an AoO before contact.
CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Bigode wrote:But so, how'd stand-stilling yourself work out? We do know you'd stop for some time, but is the answer on whether that time'd be infinitesimally small or not clear?
Presumably You'd come to a brief but complete stop, take the appropriate amount of damage, and then start a 'new fall'.
What damage? The fall stopped without you hitting anything, and stand-stilling specifically doesn't deal damage. So, I guess I answered myself: take an AoO on yourself just prior to a 5-foot new fall.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
SphereOfFeetMan
Knight-Baron

Post by SphereOfFeetMan »

AoO's only allow you to attack enemy creatures, not inanimate objects. Also, AoO's from movement are provoked because of the enemy's movement, not yours.

That aside, you can just make a simple houserule for it, and that would be fine.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

AoO's are when an enemy moves to open up the chance, which you can opt not to take.

I wonder why you can't take all your AoOs in a turn you're attacking an inanimate object. It's not like you're fighting defensively.

-Crissa
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

Crissa wrote:AoO's are when an enemy moves to open up the chance, which you can opt not to take.

I wonder why you can't take all your AoOs in a turn you're attacking an inanimate object. It's not like you're fighting defensively.

-Crissa
Because that's inconvenient for the rules. It's more convenient if you can only attack with your actions.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

AoOs can be taken against anyone who provokes (which RAW doesn't say objects ever do). And if you move (provoke), you can attack yourself, unless there's actually some clarification somewhere that ally/enemy status isn't selectable. And remember, in 4E you're specifically your own enemy. :D Nothing to do with the subject, of course.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

If you think a stick is an enemy, does that work?

Seems to me you should be able to do more damage to an inanimate object when you're not in combat than when you are :P I guess I sorta miss the minute-rounds and damage in combat being based upon you know, hit points equal exhaustion.

-Crissa
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

You don't get an AoO when you charge an opponent, so no.

-Username17
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Crissa wrote:If you think a stick is an enemy, does that work?

Seems to me you should be able to do more damage to an inanimate object when you're not in combat than when you are :P I guess I sorta miss the minute-rounds and damage in combat being based upon you know, hit points equal exhaustion.
Per RAW: name one instance of "a stick" provoking an AoO. Hint: do arrows provoke due to movement? Lancelot says "yes" ... As for consistency: well, the object rules are what they are, and likely full of inertia - though a relatively harmless houserule might be allowing coup-de-gracing objects (I know it sorta stops working with multiple attacks).

OTOH, I think we know people falling provoke, so I'm under the impression that the possibility of stopping your falls wouldn't require houseruling.

Frank: you mean you don't gain an AoO on yourself, or what? If yes, is the reason anything other than said AoO being omitted because ... you wouldn't ever have a reason to take it without non-core material, but actually existing?
Last edited by Bigode on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

My, how very Dragonball.

"I attack the ground to break my fall."

IMO very legit but makes warriors pretty much immune to falling if they are conscious and can deal enough damage to shatter stone.. which... is fine by me.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

A) I'm not even sure if it works, as Frank hasn't clarified his objection yet. B) it doesn't work by attacking the ground.