Paizo's New 'Achievement' Feats

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Paizo's New 'Achievement' Feats

Post by virgil »

Two samples, as shown by a fellow player. There's an additional section concerning attempts to circumvent the system by meeting the prerequisites under controlled conditions (using a fire spell at low levels during downtime) that's worded "and your GM should feel free to discount these attempts when deciding whether or not you qualify for the feat." (so a vague guideline to say no to 'cheaters')

All Gnolls Must Die [Achievement]
Your name is whispered by black lips throughout the Uwaga Highlands as a bringer of death and pain—few are the gnolls who don’t quake when they hear stories of your deeds.
Requirement: Deliver the killing blow to 20 gnolls, hyenas, dire hyenas, werehyenas, jackalweres, or minions of Lamashtu.
Benefit: As long as you carry some sort of trophy harvested from a gnoll (a necklace of ears, a set of teeth, a magic weapon taken from a chieftain, etc.), you gain a +2 morale bonus on all Will saves. You also gain a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls and weapon damage rolls against gnolls, hyenas, dire hyenas, werehyenas, jackalweres, and minions of Lamashtu.

Flame-Tested Survivor [Achievement]
You have burned in the hottest flames, and your flesh bears the proof—fire holds little fear for you anymore.
Requirement: Knocked unconscious or killed by fire damage at least 10 times.
Benefit: Your history with fire has attracted the attention of a powerful but mysterious guardian spirit from the Elemental Plane of Water. This spirit grants you fire resistance 5, and you gain a +2 bonus on all saving throws made to resist fire effects.
Last edited by virgil on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

That's an incredible pain in the ass. It's like those quest reward power sites only horrendously annoying because you're keeping track of repeated minor events into the double digits in order to get these things.

-Username17
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

"If you do these stupid and arbitrary things, we might give you this prize at the end. Only we might not, because we reserve the right to jerk you around if we feel like it."

And they said fourth edition was looking like WoW. Can I boot this up on my Xbox or what?
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

This is a joke, right? :rofl:

God. What book are these turds culled from?
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:This is a joke, right? :rofl:

Welcome to the fail that is Pathfinder. Don't trip on the shitpile on your way out.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Gelare wrote:"If you do these stupid and arbitrary things, we might give you this prize at the end. Only we might not, because we reserve the right to jerk you around if we feel like it."
What you fail to realize is that you still have to spend a feat slot on them after meeting the prereqs. You don't just get them automagically.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Seriously...this is close to the same crap that were "spell-touched" feats.

Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

It would make more sense to have these as some kind of "Heroic Achievements", where you could have up to say, 3(?), and once you meet the prequisites you gained one automatically (you could choose which ones if you got over the total - or maybe you could have as many as you liked, you'd have to figure that out when designing and balance things) - spending a feat slot is..not so good.
Trust in the Emperor, but always check your ammunition.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Leress: That's fucking awesome.

Oh, and Spell-touched feats could actually be useful sometimes. These... not so much. Though I like how the prerequisites for "Flame Tested Survivor" involves "being killed by fire 10 times". That's not surviving, that's blowing money on resurrections.

I feel the need to head on over to "It's my own invention" and do a parody :D
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Actually, being knocked unconscious by fire counts for FTS. The funny thing about feats like that, though, is that if anything like FTS ends up giving you something good, getting your ass kicked becomes the path to Real Ultimate Power.
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Good idea.

Bad execution.

Heck, even adding up weird events and spending a feat slot wouldn't be so bad if the feats...y'know...did stuff.

Fire resistance 5, my ass.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Here is a counter idea I proposed a while ago that I think is better in many ways. I'll put it together so it looks nice.

Wait a sec...

Phone Lobsters Feat Non-Requisites

Before you can write in a new Feat, any Feat, on your character sheet that you normally qualify for you have to write down something "Cool" and hopefully mildly related that your character has done in your last level worth of adventuring.

When I say "Your character has done" lets reword that to "as far as your character chooses to remember it" and "Have to write down something" to "Probably should or people might call you uncreative"...

Example:

"Totally killed some smart mouthed Goblin with one strike of my mighty Axe" = 2nd level Fighter Bonus Feat) Power Attack

"Saw Through an obvious Silent Image Spell" = 3rd level Feat) Iron Will

"Yelled 'Fire Ball!' and dropped a Fire Ball in the resulting suprise round, then won initiative and yelled 'Fire Ball!'..." = 6th level feat) Quicken Spell

* Actually legality or usefulness of example feats is not endorsed.

Anyway the benefits of this method include such amazing things as...
1) Players try to achieve more individually cool things.

2) Players essentially are encouraged to keep some small log of a few "Cool Things" per level which becomes a useful background and reactive adventure plotting tool for the GM and other players.

3) Players totally do "something Cool" on a regular basis between level advancements anyway. If they don't then this is a tool that will help in recognising that and you can just wave it if you must since its based on an entirely valueless achievement metric.

5) You can apply this tool to starting and advanced level starting characters because since "Something Cool" is entirely a valueless thing you can totally make shit up and it just ends up being some nice little additions to character background.

Edit: 6) "Something cool" has no fixed numbers associated with it, so you can survive 10 fireballs (and that is something cool) or 8, or 1. And no one cares because you could have just written "Got breathed on by Dragon" or "Put Salamander in headlock".
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

And yet, something like this was the feats that Frank wrote for our characters in his games...

-Crissa
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

FrankTrollman wrote:That's an incredible pain in the ass. It's like those quest reward power sites only horrendously annoying because you're keeping track of repeated minor events into the double digits in order to get these things.
Yeah, I can sorta see where they were going with it, giving extra bonuses to organic characters as opposed to generated (which actually isn't a bad idea, because the organics tend to need a boost), but the method by which they did it is just horrible.

Nobody wants to track that shit in game.

"Hey Bill, don't forget to mark down that you got hit by 3 arrows. You only need to get hit by 32 more piercing weapons for the human pincushion achievement."
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

If you're going to have feats that are completely campaign and player specific, they have to be completely campaign and player specific. It probably also helps if they don't completely suck.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Wait, are these feats, or free bonuses you get for doing stuff in game?

I was under the impression that they were the latter.

If they're just feats, then it's a really fucking dumb idea.

Free bonuses could be a nice way to help out organic characters, but having feats that you have to qualify for by keeping odd tallies of times you've been frozen is fucking stupid. It's not even like the DM is going to be counting anyway.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

At least the Spell-Touched feats had the decency to make the events one-off things. "Survive being killed by fire" or "wipe out an entire gnoll town" or something is more what they could reasonable use as prerequisites. Not "ten times" or "twenty dudes." That's stupid. I don't know how many gnolls I killed when I ran in with a necklace of fireballs and detonated it on myself, I just know that the damage I did to myself didn't quite kill me forever and it roasted anything in the area.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Nope. Feats with retarded requirements.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

PL's way works if you want to turn a generic set of rules into something with fluff attached. Or you could write a set of rules for a specific setting and do the fluff and the rules together.

These feats are a sucky alternative to either of those plans. Hard coded flavour on a generic ruleset.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Mister_Sinister wrote:
Ganbare Gincun wrote:This is a joke, right? :rofl:

Welcome to the fail that is Pathfinder. Don't trip on the shitpile on your way out.
Plus Fucking One. Thank you MS for covering that for me.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Pretty retarded. Would have been better if such stuff was given as examples for prerequisites for such feats, leaving it up to the GM to find something appropriate.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Guys, guys, guys. These are LOW-LEVEL feats, which means they're supposed to fade into the background as your character advances. This is because your character will become too complicated if he gains more than fire resistance 5.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

You haven't even mentioned the "Heal 1000 points of damage, but every point you deal cancels out two points of healing" one. Or the "Take 1000 damage, but every 5 points of healing you get cancels out a point of damage" one.

Those kind of requirements work in TF2 because the computer keeps track of them! In addition to being painfully artificial, those would be a pain in the ass to track. And several, like the "take a bunch of damage" one, aren't even really "achievements", they're stuff that any character will inevitably do, given enough time. I guess Paizo felt there wasn't enough grinding available.
Last edited by Ice9 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Ice9 wrote:You haven't even mentioned the "Heal 1000 points of damage, but every point you deal cancels out two points of healing" one. Or the "Take 1000 damage, but every 5 points of healing you get cancels out a point of damage" one.

Those kind of requirements work in TF2 because the computer keeps track of them! In addition to being painfully artificial, those would be a pain in the ass to track. And several, like the "take a bunch of damage" one, aren't even really "achievements", they're stuff that any character will inevitably do, given enough time. I guess Paizo felt there wasn't enough grinding available.
Dude, have you ever talked to the devs? You're supposed to farm mobs seven levels lower than yourself to get minimal XP gains but lots of loot for no effort! Now if only the Fail didn't blur together to the point where I don't remember which one did that...