Octopus Rules Question

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Octopus Rules Question

Post by virgil »

Referring to the baseline octopus, they only have two attacks; bite and 'arms'. The damage dealt by the arms is 0, but they have improved grapple to use their bite attack on the opponent.

The question is what happens to the damage of the 'arms' attack when you increase their size. Does it stay at 0 and remain as a single group attack?
Last edited by virgil on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

It seems like it would increase, or so the Giant Octopus would have you believe.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/octopusGiant.htm
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Welcome to EBD in 3.x, when "octopus" and "big octopus" use entirely different rules. RAW, it stays a single attack, and dunno whether it stays at 0, or 0's the step before 1, which's before 1d2, I guess (thus, it wouldn't normally grow to 1d4 in 2 categories, BTW).
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

They listed it as 0, rather than just saying it doesn't deal damage. That implies (though I can't show you anything saying this is a fact) that it goes up a step - to 1 if you boost it one size, then 1d2, 1d3, 1d4 etc.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

And you know what the most annoying part about all this is? I was asking this to better understand the effects of applying the Titanic Creature template to it, because I'm trying to find the lowest CR monster that could break down city wall (5' reinforced stone, likely DC 50) with an actual strength check rather than raw damage, only to discover that the Titanic Creature template doesn't actually boost the damage of any natural attack except bite/gore/slam/claw.

Insult to injury is the fact that an titanic octopus (or even crocodile) remains too weak.
Last edited by virgil on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I think technically the tentacle attack is a form of slam
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

Prak_Anima wrote:I think technically the tentacle attack is a form of slam
Nope, slam attacks are the only kind of slam. Tentacles get a separate entry on the list of common natural attacks, too.
"No, you can't burn the inn down. It's made of solid fire."
The Lunatic Fringe
Journeyman

Post by The Lunatic Fringe »

Can the octopus use its ink cloud above water? I see no specific restriction?
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

virgileso wrote:And you know what the most annoying part about all this is? I was asking this to better understand the effects of applying the Titanic Creature template to it, because I'm trying to find the lowest CR monster that could break down city wall (5' reinforced stone, likely DC 50) with an actual strength check rather than raw damage, only to discover that the Titanic Creature template doesn't actually boost the damage of any natural attack except bite/gore/slam/claw.

Insult to injury is the fact that an titanic octopus (or even crocodile) remains too weak.
Given that we're talking Str 88 here (with the tarrasque having only 45), I ... guess the problem's the DC.
Narcissus wrote:Can the octopus use its ink cloud above water? I see no specific restriction?
By RAW, yes. But since when do octopuses fight above water at all?
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

You do get a size bonus to strength checks to break something (+4 per category above large), so it's not required to be that high.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Actually, size bonuses apply. Just being Colossal is +16. Which means all you need is a Str of 58 (+24 modifier) and taking 10. You can reduce this via charging before the smash (+2), wearing Armbands of Might (+2), and so forth.

Juggernauting a DC 50 wall has been easily done by PC races, so it shouldn't be an issue for a monster.

Damn ninjas.
Last edited by Roy on Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lunatic Fringe
Journeyman

Bigode wrote:
Narcissus wrote:Can the octopus use its ink cloud above water? I see no specific restriction?
By RAW, yes. But since when do octopuses fight above water at all?
Well, I also think that the ink cloud is permanant, which means that you can get an octopus familiar, and do some sort of crazy thing with non-dispellable 10' by 10' by 10' cubes of total concealment (having given the octopus a way to exist out of water).

I don't know if this is useful or not, but it seems like something that one could abuse.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Size to breaking yeah, but not charging, unless it's omitted from the SRD (or a Rules Compendium stealth change).
Narcissus wrote:Well, I also think that the ink cloud is permanent, which means that you can get an octopus familiar, and do some sort of crazy thing with non-dispellable 10' by 10' by 10' cubes of total concealment (having given the octopus a way to exist out of water).

I don't know if this is useful or not, but it seems like something that one could abuse.
:rofl: Who needs fog spells?
The Lunatic Fringe
Journeyman

Bigode wrote:
Narcissus wrote:Well, I also think that the ink cloud is permanent, which means that you can get an octopus familiar, and do some sort of crazy thing with non-dispellable 10' by 10' by 10' cubes of total concealment (having given the octopus a way to exist out of water).

That's what I was thinking...though I don't know if the rolling head is laughing at me or WOTC.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Narcissus wrote:That's what I was thinking...though I don't know if the rolling head is laughing at me or WOTC.
It means "congratulations for finding something retarded".
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Narcissus wrote:
Bigode wrote:

That's what I was thinking...though I don't know if the rolling head is laughing at me or WOTC.
All of the above? :P
The Lunatic Fringe
Journeyman

Roy wrote:
Narcissus wrote:
Bigode wrote: :rofl: Who needs fog spells?
All of the above? :P
Aw...and just when Bigode was making me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Thanks, Roy; this "make a man warm" thing doesn't suit me. :D
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Bigode wrote:Thanks, Roy; this "make a man warm" thing doesn't suit me. :D
:mrgreen:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well, here's a question, is there any compelling reason for tentacles to not be slams?

Or pecks bites?

Or stings gores?

I mean, c'mon, there are four basic natural attacks, but so many creatures tack on random shit.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Prak_Anima wrote:well, here's a question, is there any compelling reason for tentacles to not be slams?

Or pecks bites?

Or stings gores?

I mean, c'mon, there are four basic natural attacks, but so many creatures tack on random shit.
Tentacles can deal cutting damage while slams can't, and pecks already are bites.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Bigode wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:well, here's a question, is there any compelling reason for tentacles to not be slams?

Or pecks bites?

Or stings gores?

Tentacles can deal cutting damage while slams can't, and pecks already are bites.
wouldn't it just be easier to say that a given creature's slams can do slashing?

and I think I might have been thinking of "Talon" attacks...

Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Prak_Anima wrote:wouldn't it just be easier to say that a given creature's slams can do slashing?
Possibly, especially given that tentacles as-is need the specifying anyway ...