Game design flowsheet, minor hilarious note.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Game design flowsheet, minor hilarious note.

Post by Kaelik »

So 1) I was searching for the game design flowsheet to help with a project I hope to put up here later for criticism. Anyone got a link to it?

2) While going about that, I found an old Paizo thread with "Jerry" the Captain Bleach impersonator, and came across this quote:
Jerry wrote:Just pander to the ones that accept your views. You're not going to convince people like Lich-loved of your views, so such time would be better spent among the people that like you, not WotC loyalists and such that are extreme fan-boys that don't want to admit that there are problems.
Which is fucking hilarious, because now Lich Loved is like, a regular denizen who posts ideas and deals with critical analysis stuff.

So Jerry was totally wrong.

Also, Lich Loved, please tell me that you were running Jerry as a ghost. It doesn't seem likely, but it would be super funny.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Wait, is that a dev there or something? Because that totally explains Paizil Fail.
Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

There are always exceptions and Lich-loved may be one of them. I still tend to agree with the spirit of his statement.
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

No problem:

Game Design Flowsheet

-Username17
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp wrote:There are always exceptions and Lich-loved may be one of them. I still tend to agree with the spirit of his statement.
What's the point of trying to persuade people who already agree with you?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Because, it's the best way to get a circle jerk going.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Akula wrote:Because, it's the best way to get a circle jerk going.
I've heard that throwing baked goods on the floor usually helps.

In an unrelated note: I make very good chili chocolate cake.

-Username17
Lich-Loved
Knight

Post by Lich-Loved »

Kaelik wrote:Also, Lich Loved, please tell me that you were running Jerry as a ghost. It doesn't seem likely, but it would be super funny.
No no, not me. I don't use sock puppets or ghosts. I have my views on things and I am not ashamed of them, but I always listen to others' opinions because there is always room for improvement or a different perspective. Every once in a while, I actually learn something.
- LL
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Lich-Loved wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Also, Lich Loved, please tell me that you were running Jerry as a ghost. It doesn't seem likely, but it would be super funny.
No no, not me. I don't use sock puppets or ghosts. I have my views on things and I am not ashamed of them, but I always listen to others' opinions because there is always room for improvement or a different perspective. Every once in a while, I actually learn something.
"And somewhere, a bell chimed, and a tiny piece of my faith in humanity was restored"

...which is a god damned good thing, since my faith in humanity plunged even further at Best Buy earlier...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

FrankTrollman wrote:In an unrelated note: I make very good chili chocolate cake.
Trade you your recipe for my red wine cherry chocolote cake recipe? :mrgreen:
Murtak
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Murtak wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:In an unrelated note: I make very good chili chocolate cake.
Trade you your recipe for my red wine cherry chocolote cake recipe? :mrgreen:
I think I can do that. I don't measure things. Like, at all. I've been baking for over 20 years and now I just sort of do it. But here's my guestimation of what I do:

You will need:

100g of baking chocolate (I use 86% chocolate, but you're free to use whatever you have)
70g of butter
4 large eggs
100g of flour
100g of sugar
1g Baking Powder
1 Habanero Chili
A splash of milk

So the firs step is to start a double boiler. Take a saucepan filled with water and put it on the stove. Then put another saucepan inside that and put the butter and sugar in there. Dice up the baking chocolate coarsely and the chili very fine, and put them into the melting butter. You can stir by shaking, and you'll want to get that liquid and well mixed.

While that's going on, separate the eggs and beat the whites to soft peaks. Also start the oven preheating to 150 degrees. Now put the yolks back in with the flour and baking powder and the contents of the chocolate pot. Splash a little milk on it and mix it under it's uniform but not collapsed.

Pour it into a greased pan and cook until a butter knife can enter and exit cleanly (which ought to be half an hour to an hour depending upon the dimensions of your pan).

There are lots of icings you may wish to use. I am personally in favor of simply melting a milk chocolate bar in the same set up you used for the baking chocolat with so powdered sugar and cream. But your mileage may vary.

-Username17
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Ooooh, that sounds good. Two thumbs up for using metric measurements. :thumb: :thumb:

I'll have to dig out my recipe for accuracy, but from memory ...

250g flour
250g sugar
250g butter or margarine
3 eggs
100 to 200ml red wine
6+ teaspoons cocoa
half a package baking powder
1 jar of morello cherries

Mix flour, backing powder, sugar, butter, eggs in a bowl, adding wine until the consistency is right. (here we say "Bis der Teig schwer reissend vom Löffel fällt", but I have no clue how to translate that. I guess you should be fine though - it's not like this is your first cake.) You can also add some of the cherry juice.

Add cocoa to taste, I recommend enough to nearly turn the dough black. Others say too much cocoa is jucky.

Drip off the cherries and butter up a cake ring form.

Add enough dough to cover the bottom. Sprinkle with cherries (not too many - this layer will sag to the bottom). Add enough dough to barely cover the cherries. Add more cherries. Add the rest of the dough. I never use the full jar of cherries here, usually I have about a third of them left over.

Bake in preheated oven at 175 degrees for an hour, maybe a little more.
Murtak
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

This thread is brilliant. We need more tangents that end in recipes. Unfortunately we don't use alcohol. How is the red wine chocolate cake without the red wine?

I'm going to have to try that chilli chocolate cake. Theres a family who live across the road who we help out now and then and they often pay us back by cooking us a cake or something like that. I keep saying that if she wants to really pay me back she can teach me how to make a good cake but she doesn't believe me.

Unfortunately I cook for 6, sometimes up to 12. So I may need to scale up just a mite.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Parthenon wrote:This thread is brilliant. We need more tangents that end in recipes. Unfortunately we don't use alcohol. How is the red wine chocolate cake without the red wine?
Worse, but still good. Use a little more of the juice that comes with the cherries and maybe add a little cinnamon. Why no wine though? I doubt there is any noticeable amount of alcohol left in the cake after baking.
Murtak
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

Religious reasons basically. It gets really irritating when you have to read through all the ingredients to everything to make sure theres no alcohol. Its in almost everything.

Anyone else have any good recipes? All mine are straight from books every single time.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Parthenon wrote:Religious reasons basically. It gets really irritating when you have to read through all the ingredients to everything to make sure theres no alcohol. Its in almost everything.
Yeah it is. Alcohol is in meat. Like, natural meat. Alcohol metabolism is an equilibrium reaction that goes both ways. When you don't have any alcohol to detoxify you create small amounts of alcohol in your own liver. While I'm deeply sympathetic to people who want to get their alcohol intake extremely low, bringing it to actually zero is laughable. It's literally impossible to achieve that.

-Username17
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

I'll try to dig up the 5-minute microwave chocolate cupcake recipe, but apart from that and scones I don't really do baking. I don't have a sweet tooth you see; recipes for all manner of savoury dishes I could give you, but not cake-type things! Somewhat selfishly, because they don't really appeal to me I've never bothered to learn how to cook them.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

A staple of mine is Thai Curry:

ingredients:
2 cans of coconut milk
curry paste
soy sauce
assorted vegetables, meat, fish, potatoes or tofu (at least four hands full)
some kind of oil that heats well (peanut oil is great)

Chop up everything into finger-sized pieces. Heat oil in wok or cast iron pot until it barely starts to smoke. Toss in ingredients and stir-fry. If you have potatoes don't add them yet. After 2 minutes, drown in coconut milk and reduce heat. Slowly add curry paste and keep stirring - stop adding paste when your milk is colored or your taste buds give up. Add a dash of soy sauce. Add potatoes. Boil or simmer until done.

Good vegetables to use are onions, peppers, chilis or sweet peas. You can add any meat really, but if you add fish boil it with the potatoes or preferably, separately grill or steam it. With green curry do not use potatoes, with yellow curry do not use fish. If you do use potatoes, sweet potatoes are perfect but firm-boiling (I hope that word exists) are ok.

Just before serving you optionally add basil (thai basil is even better) and sprouts. If you leave the curry standing overnight it gets even better. Oh, and of course always serve with rice, preferably basmati.

Sample ingredients:
1 red, 1 yellow pepper
3 small chilis (or 1 habanero)
1 handful of sweet peas
2 sweet potatoes
1 handful mung bean sprouts
2 tablespoons red curry paste
2 cans of coconut milk
Murtak
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Oh wow. I have to tell my Planescape DM that, Frank. He's a rabid teetotaller, amongst other things. Like, to the point of suggesting that all people who drink should be executed.

Yeah, buddy has issues. But we love to troll him every so often.
Last edited by Meikle641 on Tue May 19, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Ah, so he's one of the hate-edge?
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Never heard that term before, but it sounds about right.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

You know how you have the straight-edge crowd with the no drinking, drugs, etc? Well, the hate-edge ones are the people who insist that everyone else must be straight-edge too.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

I did not know that. Interesting.

But theres a big difference between eating food with a side effect of alcohol and adding alcohol to flavour something. Assuming that if someone spikes my drink of coke I'll commit suicide, rather than stop drinking and getting pissed off or something similar, is stupid.

But anyway, lets get off this topic. I'm going to buy some stuff and try these two cakes out tonight/tomorrow.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Murtak wrote:A staple of mine is Thai Curry:
ingredients:
2 cans of coconut milk
curry paste
soy sauce
assorted vegetables, meat, fish, potatoes or tofu (at least four hands full)
some kind of oil that heats well (peanut oil is great)

Chop up everything into finger-sized pieces. Heat oil in wok or cast iron pot until it barely starts to smoke. Toss in ingredients and stir-fry. If you have potatoes don't add them yet. After 2 minutes, drown in coconut milk and reduce heat. Slowly add curry paste and keep stirring - stop adding paste when your milk is colored or your taste buds give up. Add a dash of soy sauce. Add potatoes. Boil or simmer until done.

Good vegetables to use are onions, peppers, chilis or sweet peas. You can add any meat really, but if you add fish boil it with the potatoes or preferably, separately grill or steam it. With green curry do not use potatoes, with yellow curry do not use fish. If you do use potatoes, sweet potatoes are perfect but firm-boiling (I hope that word exists) are ok.

Just before serving you optionally add basil (thai basil is even better) and sprouts. If you leave the curry standing overnight it gets even better. Oh, and of course always serve with rice, preferably basmati.

Sample ingredients:
1 red, 1 yellow pepper
3 small chilis (or 1 habanero)
1 handful of sweet peas
2 sweet potatoes
1 handful mung bean sprouts
2 tablespoons red curry paste
2 cans of coconut milk
I've got a kaffir lime tree in my apartment, so yeah, I make a lot of Thai curry too. I haven't tried sweet potato, but pumpkin is really good. The base is usually kaffir leaves + fish sauce + brown sugar (just a tiny bit) + coconut milk + premade curry paste, and some minced peppers if it isn't spicy enough. Pumpkin + beef or chicken, frozen peas, and potatoes are the usual 'meat'. When we have time we use steamed sticky rice. When I'm feeling especially adventurous I add tamarind, peanuts, basil (when I can get it), cinnamon, or lemon juice.

I've never tried stir-frying everything first. Normally I just dump some oil and coconut milk in the wok, add the curry paste, ad the chicken or beef and coconut milk and boil it, then add everything else. Anyway, some great ideas there that I'll have to try. Maybe I can even get my girlfriend to eat fish...

[EDIT] Oh yeah, and there is in fact an ancient Gaming Den recipe thread : http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=41757 [/EDIT}
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Tue May 19, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

I love the Metalocalypse episode where Toki beats the crap out of a SXE goon. Loved it.