Being Good in D&D: this one's for you, K and Frank

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Hey_I_Can_Chan
Master

Re: Being Good in D&D: this one's for you, K and Frank

Post by Hey_I_Can_Chan »

If they consistently don't send level-appropriate monsters after you there is something wrong with your DM. Either he considers "the story" more important than your characters living and you having fun or he considers "the story" more important than your characters being challenged and you having fun.

Not everything is reflected in CR. While admittedly the game is about fighting, the thing ain't a video game. It's not cut scene-battle-battle-battle-cut scene, lather, rinse, repeat. There is a story, and evil tells a different story than good.

When you're an outlaw in the king's land after failing to sacrifice the princess to the demon lord, every peasant, knight errant, apprentice wizard, gold dragon, ki-rin, lammasu, and whatever's after your ass. I'd argue that by being evil--by overreaching (which is what evil often does)--you, by your choices, have made the world not level-appropriate but suddenly status quo.

You took on a broad, sweeping plan. You lost 'cause you're evil. Good now knows about you and hates you and can, itself, rack up some piddling XP by executing your ass.

But, like I said, this is more campaign dependent than anything else. If you like the idea that evil--which is proactive--will always encounter level-appropriate foes, then that means they can charge into the king's castle at first level and have a 75% chance of winning, high-fiving when they roll a 74, and ending the campaign as co-rulers of the empire.

That's what I mean by evil does stuff. If there's no threat ever of someone bigger then the evil game's kinda dumb. You should encounter people you can't just stab in the face--for whatever reason. That's not the DM being a dick. That's the DM not letting curb-stomp his universe because you just so happen to fvcking exist.

Also, there's another factor. EL of your level implies a loss of 25% of your group's resources. That can mean one of the 4-person party dead per encounter with all the rest unharmed. That's also--mathematically, anyway--appropriate.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Hey_I_Can_Chan at [unixtime wrote:1188286688[/unixtime]]When you're an outlaw in the king's land after failing to sacrifice the princess to the demon lord, every peasant, knight errant, apprentice wizard, gold dragon, ki-rin, lammasu, and whatever's after your ass. I'd argue that by being evil--by overreaching (which is what evil often does)--you, by your choices, have made the world not level-appropriate but suddenly status quo.

You took on a broad, sweeping plan. You lost 'cause you're evil. Good now knows about you and hates you and can, itself, rack up some piddling XP by executing your ass.

But, like I said, this is more campaign dependent than anything else. If you like the idea that evil--which is proactive--will always encounter level-appropriate foes, then that means they can charge into the king's castle at first level and have a 75% chance of winning, high-fiving when they roll a 74, and ending the campaign as co-rulers of the empire.

That's what I mean by evil does stuff. If there's no threat ever of someone bigger then the evil game's kinda dumb. You should encounter people you can't just stab in the face--for whatever reason. That's not the DM being a dick. That's the DM not letting curb-stomp his universe because you just so happen to fvcking exist.

Also, there's another factor. EL of your level implies a loss of 25% of your group's resources. That can mean one of the 4-person party dead per encounter with all the rest unharmed. That's also--mathematically, anyway--appropriate.

While that is certainly realistic, it is no way a desirable outcome. RPGs are about telling stories. And, frankly, the story of how your characters stormed the dungeon, were captured and pitted in gladiatorial fights until they escaped and enacted revenge is a lot more interesting than the story of how your characters stormed the dungeon and were one-shot-killed by the Court Wizard. Yes, trying to kill the princess will get the armies of Good against you. But you won't meet armies, you'll meet the equivalent of bounty hunters. People die against armies and that's not a good story to tell.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Can someone teach shirak how to use quotes and close them, please?

-Crissa
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1188293504[/unixtime]]Can someone teach shirak how to use quotes and close them, please?

-Crissa

How's that, oh Almighty Guardian Of Proper Coding?
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Its also assuming the presence of Stupid Evil or as I tend to think of it, Dragonlance Evil. Though I feel like I'm repeating myself when I do.

But the assumption that evil people have no friends and will always betray each other even when there are reasons not to (up to and including their own best interest) is frankly dumb, not to mention inaccurate. You can point out any number of groups in history that can be easily described as evil, and yet went home to family and friends and never turned on each other.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1188293504[/unixtime]]Can someone teach shirak how to use quotes and close them, please?

-Crissa

Holy shit, I'm agreeing with Crissa on something.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1188323402[/unixtime]]But the assumption that evil people have no friends and will always betray each other even when there are reasons not to (up to and including their own best interest) is frankly dumb, not to mention inaccurate.

Assuming that we ignore (because well it's stupid) Stupid Evil, there is a problem with evil because in the end there can be only one. Ultimate power doesn't go to the group but to the one, so every evil alliance is based on the fact that one day you're going to have to screw your partner before your partner screws you. Now with common goals and reasonable checks and balances that might not happen for years, decdes or even centuries, but eventually, it will happen.

Note that this isn't a problem to the evil character because the evil character tends to be very Darwinnian. It really is survival of the fittest, and of course every evil person assumes they are the fittest. All traits that are signs of true good relationships, compassion etc are weaknesses to the evil mindset slowing eveyone especially the self down.

Note in the real world few people are really "evil" as per the D&D description. Instead they are myoptically good, their view of "other" is severely limited to a small subset of beings, and in helping the subset they may and will abuse those outside of the subset. Heck they may even go out of their way to promote the subset at the expense of self (in addition to the expense of those outside the subset). This massively breaks down the D&D alignment system and such people would be best escribed as neutral.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1188326339[/unixtime]]
there is a problem with evil because in the end there can be only one. Ultimate power doesn't go to the group but to the one, so every evil alliance is based on the fact that one day you're going to have to screw your partner before your partner screws you. Now with common goals and reasonable checks and balances that might not happen for years, decdes or even centuries, but eventually, it will happen.

Why? Evil doesn't have to always be about taking over the world.

An evil character may just be a wizard searching for magical lore or trying to cheat death by becoming a lich. It could also be someone who seeks to win the heart of a woman he loves through any means necessary. An evil merchant may simply be satisfied with being rich, having no desire to rule over others.

Evil is a methodology, not a goal.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Pretty much what I was going to say. The goal of Ultimate Power is another fallacy of Stupid Evil.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1188328796[/unixtime]]Why? Evil doesn't have to always be about taking over the world.

An evil character may just be a wizard searching for magical lore or trying to cheat death by becoming a lich. It could also be someone who seeks to win the heart of a woman he loves through any means necessary. An evil merchant may simply be satisfied with being rich, having no desire to rule over others.

Evil is a methodology, not a goal.

It's not about taking over the world. (One can argue that taking over the world is more trouble than it is worth.) So let's take each option one at a time.

The lich. Cheating death is seeking power for self ... that's pretty evil. Now it may come to a point where he just want plain old immortality. In that case he ceases to actively be evil and just hovers in evilness through generally neutral actions.

The lover. The any means necessary is the key. That's a free will violation and that's so delightfully evil as to be classic. He's also plain stupid, but that never stopped someone from seeking the near impossible.

The merchant. Yea like you can actually be rich enough not to want to be richer? See the lich above.

It's not about taking over the world, it's just about more power. It's not a fallacy of Stupid Evil, but it is a goal of many Stupid Evil beings.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1188348700[/unixtime]]
It's not about taking over the world. (One can argue that taking over the world is more trouble than it is worth.) So let's take each option one at a time.

Yeah it is. The only real goal that forces evil to eventually fight evil is when you have two sides working for dominate the world, or dominate something anyway.

A lich looking for eternal life can definitely work with a warlord. The warlord wants land, the lich wants some living creatures to experiment on and books to further his knowledge. So he lets the warlord proclaim himself king of whatever, because that doesn't even interest the lich.

Similarly, the guy out for wealth may not even care who rules the city, so long as he can continue to get richer. So he wants to be friends with whatever ruler may come, but he's probably at no point going to try to kill the ruler, because he doesn't want to be king, he just wants to live in luxury.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1188324527[/unixtime]]

-Crissa

Holy shit, I'm agreeing with Crissa on something.

Holy shit, you're agreeing at all.

I'm grabbing supplies and fleeing for the hills. This means it's The Endtimes.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That combined with Fred Basset being funny this morning suggests that the end is indeed nigh. I'm getting my video camera, to record the meteor hitting the Earth.

For, you know... future... generations...

I really do need to put more thought into these things.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1188372639[/unixtime]]That combined with Fred Basset being funny this morning suggests that the end is indeed nigh. I'm getting my video camera, to record the meteor hitting the Earth.

Yous should do this:

The single greatest explanation of what a hero should be that I have ever seen. And the best damn inspirational poster ever. Screw the 3000-pages RPG.net thread on them. This is better.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That is eight and a half different types of awesome.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Is that from a webcomic? If so I request you post the link.

Two evils can fight for plenty of reasons other than both wanting to take over the world. There are other reasons for conflict. Besides, it may take two to tango but it only takes one to throw a punch.
Immortius
1st Level

Post by Immortius »

Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1188375869[/unixtime]]Is that from a webcomic? If so I request you post the link.

Two evils can fight for plenty of reasons other than both wanting to take over the world. There are other reasons for conflict. Besides, it may take two to tango but it only takes one to throw a punch.

Here's a link.

MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1188373494[/unixtime]]
Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1188372639[/unixtime]]That combined with Fred Basset being funny this morning suggests that the end is indeed nigh. I'm getting my video camera, to record the meteor hitting the Earth.

Yous should do this:

[IMG]

The single greatest explanation of what a hero should be that I have ever seen. And the best damn inspirational poster ever. Screw the 3000-pages RPG.net thread on them. This is better.

There's something in my eye...
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Another ridiculously large multiquote for you guys...
Sigma, don't break the thread! :lmao:

Calibron wrote:Sorry, it's just that I am a devout Christian, yet I'm constantly reminded about how much the Christian community tends to suck. This annoys me.
Don't feel bad - all comunities suck because people tend to suck. Seriously, I think Frank would agree with me saying that the average self-styled "Communist" is a retard (at least, that's what I see in my country). That has just as much bearing on him that the suckitude of the average Christian has on you. For a more pungent example, there's people who think RPGists are more learned/intellectual that average - I offer the WotC boards as counterproof, and that doesn't make the people here idiots.

shirak wrote:Lago, I think we are playing two very different games. To me, the greatest difference a hero can make is to stop the war. To you, the hero must convert all others to his own view. The problem is that Elves don't think of Orcs as people and fellow members of the Brotherhood of Humanoids, they think of them as the enemy! Orcs are not really people, they are mindless killing beasts. And this worldview is backed up by an actual god who comes down and preaches it and reinforced by several thousand years of Orcish aggression. The Elves aren't changing anytime soon, not because it's impossible but because to make it halfway plausible you'd have to architect a shift in societal conditions and institute what amounts to a brainwashing program. You'd have to destroy the Elven culture and replace it with another. And that is not happening in a tactical wargame.
Yeah, what Lago wants is different from the vast majority of D&D games. But, well, on how to do it: do we really need brainwashing? Seriously, won't a social change trigger different cultural values? Of course, part of it is killing both Corellon and Gruumsh (and Lago has mentioned the "kill the gods is needed" part numerous times, so let's not act as f he thought anybody can be reasoned with) and a couple other gods (easy ...); then, just convince the remainders that it was all for the good (like, a world where elves don't need to die painfully fighting orcs every year - not to mention the rapes, before anyone tries to pull off a "dying to be rewarded is good!"). Maybe the remaining gods could even help changing societies ... Before anyone asks how to do so, it's essentially "spend some years alternating between getting negociable favors and hiding from the gods with mindblank/genesis".

Voss wrote:[pretty much everything]
Most of your point seems to be that nobody in any setting had ideas close to modern views of equality/peace/self-sacrifice. And that's wrong - Jesus "Ilmater" Christ exists in Faerûn, and, seriously isn't the "Lion of God" some people would claim to worship - he's the guy who takes beatings for others. And, before anyone claims he's just an idiot that would try to be diplomatic with the Tarrasque, just consider he hangs with Tyr and Torm - I think he does see value in people with big swords. So, just imagine a setting where those three (Could it be some "Holy Trinity" joke, by the way?) win (after having discarded Helm for being a racist bastard). Consider none of those is a racial god, and consider that the best way to be worshipped is to make worshipper's lives good - at the limit of "we won and the evil gods are dead", that means making everyone's lives good and being worshipped by all of them (at this point, the warrior gods would probably still be warriors because the next step would be storming the lower planes) ...

Besides, you know, being good according to our modern definition may be anachronistic for the times, but, you know, characters can just have new ideas. Or, more funnily, just consider a fantastic Earth where Jesus was a cleric of all creation (see Lago's idea, and allow me to fit the wizard's defensive magic in, which I feel it should have) and had a party of similarly hardcore diplomancers - are you telling me the setting wouldn't change?

Some things I considered worthy of special mention:
Voss wrote:A vow of poverty isn't a measure of morality - it's a fvcking personal quirk, particularly in cultures where most people don't have any damn money in the first place.
I think that deserves special mention - if one happens, for example, to be born rich, how isn't "I am a person just like everybody else, and thus don't deserve to have more than other people" a moral stance? I'm not saying I consider that an intelligent decision (I don't, as keeping the money and using it well would be smarter than fracturing it in tiny pieces even for the purpose of helping others) or that I find it particularly praiseworthy (I don't either, since I don't think "everybody's equal" is justice - meritocracy is), but it is a decision that defines someone's morals, not a "I like to wear blue"-style quirk.

Voss wrote:Hell, in some places around the world, its still acceptable behavior.
And I think most people on this board consider this unacceptable (which makes it comprehensible that they wouldn't want their characters to do the same, even in a fictional setting) - don't you? Anyway, that's an example of a single planet having room for more than one set of morals; you seem to try to imply that the seemingly much larger D&D multiverse doesn't ...

Voss wrote:
Lago wrote:cycle of war and death and misery
That, traditionally, is called life.
And I hazard saying life'd be better if it looked less like this - so would fictional characters' lives, for anyone that happened to care (for example. people roleplaying good characters).

Voss wrote:The bit that we are actually really damn good at.
Some people accept this as a fact, and some try to progress in other directions ...

Voss wrote:Interestingly, this finally gives us a point to half-orcs. They help to alleviate the losses the orcs suffer when they come into conflict with the better organized races- the orcs are stealing women and raping them to build their numbers back up.
And I'd love playing a rapist...
[/sarcasm]

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1188066351[/unixtime]]
Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1187996443[/unixtime]]
Here's what I think a 5th level character should be able to do.

- With a lot of convincing and kindness, convince an aboleth or a beholder that their way of life is wrong and should seek a better way of living.

- After kicking the butts of both a local wild elf tribe and the orc tribes, make them sit down and come up with a lasting peace treaty after hundreds of years of warfare.

- Incite the populace of a good-sized town, including the guards, that they should really reconsider their laws which subjects women to oppression that the Biblical times would wince at. People who aren't at the speech or meeting somehow hear this meme.

- Make a revenant give up its relentless need for revenge.

If a 5th level character can do all that, then why is there even any wars in your campaign world? I mean, you'd get some 15th level diplomat at some point who just achieves world peace, and then nobody cares anymore.

That's the big problem with diplomancy, Lago. It, at the very least, shouldn't be able to reliably convert over-CRed enemies. Also, a big pitfall is making the diplomancer not be a team player (not leaving much for others to do because the enemies were converted). That's why I'd make some creature types be basically immune to diplomacy.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

This thread has more awesome every day... you peepz are great... :loveya:
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Immortius at [unixtime wrote:1188395277[/unixtime]]

Here's a link.

Thanks
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Bigode at [unixtime wrote:1188403106[/unixtime]

Voss wrote:[pretty much everything]
Most of your point seems to be that nobody in any setting had ideas close to modern views of equality/peace/self-sacrifice. And that's wrong - Jesus "Ilmater" Christ exists in Faerûn, and, seriously isn't the "Lion of God" some people would claim to worship - he's the guy who takes beatings for others. And, before anyone claims he's just an idiot that would try to be diplomatic with the Tarrasque, just consider he hangs with Tyr and Torm - I think he does see value in people with big swords. So, just imagine a setting where those three (Could it be some "Holy Trinity" joke, by the way?) win (after having discarded Helm for being a racist bastard). Consider none of those is a racial god, and consider that the best way to be worshipped is to make worshipper's lives good - at the limit of "we won and the evil gods are dead", that means making everyone's lives good and being worshipped by all of them (at this point, the warrior gods would probably still be warriors because the next step would be storming the lower planes) ...

Ilmater always struck me as a bit of a joke. He doesn't improve the life of his worshippers- he actively encourages them to make their lives *worse*. And, of course, in a high-powered setting like FR, encouraging your worshippers to be matyrs quickly means you don't have any. Because the literally thousands of threats in the nearby area are simply too much. Its also a faith that quickly breaks the metagame of the setting. If, (and according to the FRCS book, they do) the clerics go out a cure the sick and injured, then why is there no noticeable impact on the setting.
But, yeah, I forgot him, also Eldath, but didn't they kill that whiny bitch off? But still, I've caught the self sacrifice and martyrdom. But not much in the way of peace or equality. Particularly with the buddies he hangs out with. I also tend to consider the FR a horribly unrealistic and poorly thought out setting. Just about everything is jammed in here without thought or reason, so the presence of something isn't much of an argument.

Besides, you know, being good according to our modern definition may be anachronistic for the times, but, you know, characters can just have new ideas. Or, more funnily, just consider a fantastic Earth where Jesus was a cleric of all creation (see Lago's idea, and allow me to fit the wizard's defensive magic in, which I feel it should have) and had a party of similarly hardcore diplomancers - are you telling me the setting wouldn't change?

It'd have a few more dead diplomancers. Seriously, though. I don't see this type of thought getting much purchase. Someone might think it up, but in an excessively violent world (even more-so than our own history), where survival is the primary and often sole goal of everyone, peace and brotherhood of all species is probably only going to last until the individual with the idea gets stabbed in the face.

Some things I considered worthy of special mention:
Voss wrote:A vow of poverty isn't a measure of morality - it's a fvcking personal quirk, particularly in cultures where most people don't have any damn money in the first place.
I think that deserves special mention - if one happens, for example, to be born rich, how isn't "I am a person just like everybody else, and thus don't deserve to have more than other people" a moral stance? I'm not saying I consider that an intelligent decision (I don't, as keeping the money and using it well would be smarter than fracturing it in tiny pieces even for the purpose of helping others) or that I find it particularly praiseworthy (I don't either, since I don't think "everybody's equal" is justice - meritocracy is), but it is a decision that defines someone's morals, not a "I like to wear blue"-style quirk.

No. Particularly with all the clarifications you put on that. A decision to help people might be moral, but whether or not the person has money doesn't make it any more or less moral.

Voss wrote:Hell, in some places around the world, its still acceptable behavior.
And I think most people on this board consider this unacceptable (which makes it comprehensible that they wouldn't want their characters to do the same, even in a fictional setting) - don't you?

They might, or they might all be serial killers for all I know (this is the internet). Comprehensible? Sure. Its not relevant, but sure. My problem with it is that it doesn't work in the type of setting we're talking about, neither logically within the conceits of the setting, or in terms of the meta-game.

Anyway, that's an example of a single planet having room for more than one set of morals; you seem to try to imply that the seemingly much larger D&D multiverse doesn't ...

Sure. But morality doesn't revolve solely around on killing vs. peace & brotherhood. Why you kill is just as important. But when orcs are raiding, dragons are killing people, and sahuagin are committing genocide, the only place a peaceful conversion concept is going to gain ground is in a village trapped in a demi-plane with no other creatures.

Voss wrote:
Lago wrote:cycle of war and death and misery
That, traditionally, is called life.
And I hazard saying life'd be better if it looked less like this - so would fictional characters' lives, for anyone that happened to care (for example. people roleplaying good characters).

Voss wrote:The bit that we are actually really damn good at.
Some people accept this as a fact, and some try to progress in other directions ...

Hurrah for rhetoric. 'Progress' isn't going to stop 6+ books full of monsters from killing people. Particularly when there are [types] of monsters that physically can't share a human[oid]'s world view.

Voss wrote:Interestingly, this finally gives us a point to half-orcs. They help to alleviate the losses the orcs suffer when they come into conflict with the better organized races- the orcs are stealing women and raping them to build their numbers back up.
And I'd love playing a rapist...
[/sarcasm]

Thanks for sharing. Is that relevant in some way? Did someone inform you that you must run out and play an orc rapist? It was just a side observation that provided some justification for a player race that has been kicking around since first edition. A race thats largely lacked any sort of reason for their existence.
[/quote]
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Voss wrote:Ilmater always struck me as a bit of a joke. He doesn't improve the life of his worshippers- he actively encourages them to make their lives *worse*. And, of course, in a high-powered setting like FR, encouraging your worshippers to be matyrs quickly means you don't have any. Because the literally thousands of threats in the nearby area are simply too much. Its also a faith that quickly breaks the metagame of the setting. If, (and according to the FRCS book, they do) the clerics go out a cure the sick and injured, then why is there no noticeable impact on the setting.
But, yeah, I forgot him, also Eldath, but didn't they kill that whiny bitch off? But still, I've caught the self sacrifice and martyrdom. But not much in the way of peace or equality. Particularly with the buddies he hangs out with. I also tend to consider the FR a horribly unrealistic and poorly thought out setting. Just about everything is jammed in here without thought or reason, so the presence of something isn't much of an argument.
In fact, I think I agree with everything here. But tell me: isn't the purpose of all the fluff sections in the Tomes to make poorly-thought out things actually work? Essentially, what some people want is a better-thought out essay about a setting where something similar (not equal) to Ilmater works (as he sure doesn't work in FR).

Voss wrote:It'd have a few more dead diplomancers. Seriously, though. I don't see this type of thought getting much purchase. Someone might think it up, but in an excessively violent world (even more-so than our own history), where survival is the primary and often sole goal of everyone, peace and brotherhood of all species is probably only going to last until the individual with the idea gets stabbed in the face.
Essentially, I don't think much more than a demiplane would be needed to pull it off. Get people inside, safe, happy, and so on, and at the same time get said plane ready to withstand attack. The kind of thing I could see really high-level people doing.

Voss wrote:No. Particularly with all the clarifications you put on that. A decision to help people might be moral, but whether or not the person has money doesn't make it any more or less moral.
Well, I view "I had money and decided not to hoard it" as a moral decision. Also, think about it like this: one decides to help losers. If they're a loser himself, that's a much more suspect act, isn't it?

Voss wrote:They might, or they might all be serial killers for all I know (this is the internet). Comprehensible? Sure. Its not relevant, but sure. My problem with it is that it doesn't work in the type of setting we're talking about, neither logically within the conceits of the setting, or in terms of the meta-game.
Well, I know this is the Internet and everyone could be serial killers, but I'm going from what I've heard from people posting, which seemed to imply the opposite - whether they're anything else in private isn't my problem, I'm taking stuff said in this forum. Also, the setting in question is the one where people can have Int 30, out of a host of other things we can't even really imagine - can one be so sure that anything wouldn't ever work? About the metagame, if you're saying D&D is a game of face-stabbing, I think it's clear at this point that some people want less of it, and thus it'd work in their metagame. Of course, I may have missed the point of that last part entirely, in which case I'd thank some elaboration.

Voss wrote:Sure. But morality doesn't revolve solely around on killing vs. peace & brotherhood. Why you kill is just as important. But when orcs are raiding, dragons are killing people, and sahuagin are committing genocide, the only place a peaceful conversion concept is going to gain ground is in a village trapped in a demi-plane with no other creatures.
Which, as I said above, is exactly what I view as the way to keep people living well. Of course, you could have means of both getting more people inside and getting new soldiers from inside to fight the things that really can't be reasoned with if you were hardcore enough.

Voss wrote:Hurrah for rhetoric. 'Progress' isn't going to stop 6+ books full of monsters from killing people. Particularly when there are [types] of monsters that physically can't share a human[oid]'s world view.
OK, the second quote may deserve the "void rhetoric" qualifier; but, about the second, I don't know how it could be empty - what I meant is that you've been basing most of your arguments on how things are and seemingly ignoring that people might want things to cease being like that. Then, the only question left is whether changing stuff'd be possible, and I'm saying it is (exactly by the demiplane method).

Voss wrote:Thanks for sharing. Is that relevant in some way? Did someone inform you that you must run out and play an orc rapist? It was just a side observation that provided some justification for a player race that has been kicking around since first edition. A race thats largely lacked any sort of reason for their existence.
I'm really sorry; I forgot to edit what I meant in, which was: "if that sort of stuff's normal, then it should be absolutely normal that people want the setting to turn into more than the anachronism it already is as fast as possible". I hope now it makes some sense, and doesn't look voidly inflammatory, which it probably did.

Finally, and that's quite important, I want to make it more clear (in case it wasn't enough) that I do think Lago went too far in some points; namely, D&D has stuff that I really don't see as able to ever have a vaguely peaceful/egalitarian POV; those you just kill as expediently as possible, IMO.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Do you ever get the feeling that FR deities were made up by, say, three geeks with some drinks nearby scrambling for creative campaign material before their game later that day?
I've read female complaints about Drow and Lolth especially, and wholeheartedly agree; FR deities are fucking biased cartoons, and we need new gods. :viking: