Monte Cook leaving 5E

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

hogarth wrote:
MfA wrote:How is a mundane sword blow supposed to be "taking down waves of orcs each round" ... the guy is in cognitive dissonance.
You realise that in AD&D, a 10th level fighter could kill 10 goblins per round, right? Nobody I knew had a problem with that (although maybe that's because rounds used to be longer).
you realize that you are wrong right?

level has NOTHING to do with what you are citing, and there were plenty of people that had a problem with it i had a hard time finding what you were citing, but finally did.
2e DMG wrote:Multiple Attacks and Initiative

Combat may involve creatures or characters able to attack more than once in a single round. This may be due to multiple attack forms (claws and bite), skill with a weapon, or character level. No matter what the reason, all multiple attacks are handled by one of two methods.
When multiple attacks result from different attack forms--for example claws and a bite or bite and tail, or a ranger with his two-weapon combat ability--the attacks occur at the same time. The creature resolves all of its attacks in initiative order.

When the attacks are true multiples--using the same weapon more than once--as in the case of a highly skilled fighter, the attacks are staggered. Everyone involved in the combat completes one action before the second (or subsequent) attack roll is made.
Take, for example, a fighter who can attack twice per round, and say he's battling creatures that can only make one attack. The fighter wins initiative. He makes his first attack according to the rolled initiative order. Then each creature gets its attack. Finally, the fighter gets his second attack.

If fighters on both sides in a battle were able to attack twice in a round, their first attacks would occur according to the initiative roll. Their second attacks would come after all other attacks, and would then alternate according to the initiative roll.

As an option, a warrior fighting creatures with less than one Hit Die (1-1 or lower) can make a number of attacks equal to his level (i.e., a 7th-level fighter can make seven attacks). These attacks are handled in order of initiative.

Copyright 1999 TSR Inc.
note the bolded portion... AS AN OPTION.

also not that with the except of a few words in the first sentence the context is EXACTLY the same in the PHB, except for the line started with the bolded part.

the entire thing about "less than one HD" is missing from the PHB entirely. so if you werent reading from and choosing that method of initiative use, it is likely it was overlooked by MANY people, so not as common as you would think it to be known, and even less common it saw use due to the varying methods of resolving initiative.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

shadzar wrote:
why would i read the entire thread, just to comment on an earlier post? my post contained two more parts. did you read my post entirely? wherever it is and your on whatever page, may contain more info related to it, cause at this point in time i dont even remember your post or replying to it. that oversized image pretty much screwed up the last two pages for this thread so i wont be going back to try to scroll left-right to read them to find it.

my point still remains, in the context of D&D and video games.
I like how you actually cut out part of my post, and decided to only respond to that, as if that was all I wrote. Perhaps I should do that for you as well in the future, if not this thread as well? If you're going to put forth the effort to actually respond, then having an idea of what it is pertaining to, would probably make your post less stupid. As if had followed it farther than that point would've saw the rest of that sentence: "that it had related to, then you know that we were talking in regards to video games.". Anycase, you would also know that I was agreeing, moreso since it's again, stating the obvious a "well duh" kind of moment any person with common sense wouldn't really need to bear reminding. Similar point could be made toward board and miniature games and still be pretty "captain obvious" moment here. So yes your stating of the obvious still holds, but it was never really yours to begin with, even the more ignorant of RPG systems, or the hobby as a whole, could figure that out.

Also, I don't know what pictures you're talking about, mine is adequately sized for the profile last I checked (least in my viewing), so "maybe" deanruel87's profile picture, CapnTthePirateG's signature, or maybe just typical Shadzar excuse-land.
shadzar wrote: note the bolded portion... AS AN OPTION.
Silly Shadzar, don't you know, everything in D&D to you is an "option", there are no rules, only the game, PLAY THE GAME, NOT THE RULES DAWG (since you know, probably believe games don't have/need rules, course if you want anything sane, fair or otherwise not chaotic, you would).
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

It's just a guideline! They're all just guidelines!
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

shadzar wrote:
hogarth wrote:You realise that in AD&D, a 10th level fighter could kill 10 goblins per round, right? Nobody I knew had a problem with that (although maybe that's because rounds used to be longer).
you realize that you are wrong right?

level has NOTHING to do with what you are citing, and there were plenty of people that had a problem with it i had a hard time finding what you were citing, but finally did.
Shame on me for reading what you posted. But I was talking about 1E AD&D, where it was not an optional rule.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

NoHope.jpg.

So, basically we're still supposed to have a class whose schtick is "good at fighting" in a game where fucking everyone is supposed to be good at fighting? A nice design goal there.

Plus, the whole "it should be mundane, except when totally not" deal:roll:. I understand that the main purpose of this article is to give vague promises of greatness to both grognards and people who want warrior classes to matter in a superhero world, but I fear this is Mearls' actual line of thought. This stealth superpowers bullshit and attempts to appease both camps never really worked well up to date, and I have no reason to believe it will work now.
CapnTthePirateG wrote:I still think wizards are going to be better than fighters, because all of the "epic fighter" shit in the articles is all stuff mid-level wizards can do.
Fighter sucking wizard cock at high levels is a foregone conclusion. You cannot make a thematically narrow ("I sword thing") character compete with a thematically wide ("I do everything except healing") one, without crippling your game by extremely narrow or unexpanding powersets or extremely narrow ranges of things that can be done in general. Heck, even in 4E, whose whole point was nerfing fuck out of magic-users, Wizard oscillated from the strongest class to one of the few strongest.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... l/20120430

Sorry, I read this and exactly which of these goals do we actually DISAGREE with?
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Schwarzkopf wrote:http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... l/20120430

Sorry, I read this and exactly which of these goals do we actually DISAGREE with?
I don't know about "we" as a conglomerate, but I think the bullet point goals aren't so much a problem as the lack of understanding shown in the explanations, and the lack of faith any of those goals will actually be met.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Numbers 1 and 2.

If the combat minigame is the biggest part of the game (as it has often been in prior editions), then no single class should be "the best" at it.

That potentially indicates a lack of understanding, but maybe in 5e, the combat minigame is just a small part of the game, so I'll cut Meals some slack on that.

However number 2 is inexcusable and needs point-by-point breakdown

Mearls Failing again wrote: They don’t need spells
So Aragorn, Corwin and anybody with a mana bar or super combo meter are not "fighters" in 5e.
or some sort of external source of magical power
So anyone wtih a Nemean Lion Skin, Excaliber, Vibranium Shield, Green Destiny Sword or the like is not a fighter on 5e.
Fighters do stuff that is within the limits of mundane mortals.
cue Lago DMF/VAH rant here...
They don’t reverse gravity or shoot beams of energy.
So it's not enough to exclude every memorable video game character of the past 15 years, Mearls also rules out Bellerophon, Superman, Jedi as well as with most anime (Son Goku) and many wuxia movie characters from the fighter archetype.

So in the space of just 2 sentences, Mearls has managed to narrow the class archetype to the point where it excludes half the mythic influences and likely doomed it to underperforming relative to other classes by doing so.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Fri May 04, 2012 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

EDIT: After reading it again, you can still be Link.
Last edited by Leress on Fri May 04, 2012 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

Josh Kablack wrote:However number 2 is inexcusable and needs point-by-point breakdown
You're really going out of your way to bash Mearls here.

They don’t need spells just means that they don't use magic. That (probably) doesn't mean that they won't have access to Powers or Maneuvers of some sort.

External Source of Magical Power means things like THE WARP or THE BLEED or THE VEIL or THE REALM OF SHADOW. It blows my mind that you read this as picking up an artifact weapon means you're not a fighter anymore.

Superman and Goku are fighters that happen to have disgustingly overpowered Races. If your race can disqualify you from playing a Fighter, then yeah 5E is going to be in trouble. But that doesn't make any god damn sense so it seems unlikely.

Jedi are Psychic Warriors and Wuxia characters are Monks (which were specifically mentioned in the article) so they're obviously not fighters and I'm not sure why you brought them up.

At this point, we've got nothing but conjecture to work off of so it's really pointless to start bashing something we haven't seen yet. Wait a few weeks for the playtests to come out and then a little while longer to see how Wizards responds to feedback. That's when we're going to find out whether or not 5E will be successful.
PSY DUCK?
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Wrathzog wrote:At this point, we've got nothing but conjecture to work off of so it's really pointless to start bashing something we haven't seen yet.
It really isn't though is the thing. The MOMENT he said "Fighters work within the mundane" it was over. Seriously. If Class A's conceptual space is "Regular things!" and Class B's conceptual space is "Anything imaginable whether possible or impossible!" then these two CAN NOT BE EQUAL. I don't care how hard or how often you let a Fighter swing that fucking sword of his, balancing two things with that level of conceptual dichotomy is not going to happen.

Also yes making one class "best at fighting" is bullshit.

Most importantly though every single point made there demonstrates a drastic misunderstanding of the problem just in the tiny paragraph blurbs he gives us.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Superman and Goku are fighters that happen to have disgustingly overpowered Races.
This is bullshit. Goku shoots energy blasts because he has techniques that allow him to shoot energy blasts. If being a Fighter doesn't let you shoot energy blasts, you can't play Goku. Hell, you can't even play Ken or Ryu.

-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Wrathzog wrote: Jedi are Psychic Warriors and Wuxia characters are Monks (which were specifically mentioned in the article) so they're obviously not fighters and I'm not sure why you brought them up.
why do monks have to be a separate class from Fighter
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

OgreBattle wrote: why do monks have to be a separate class from Fighter
How else would you screw them over even more than fighters?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Superman and Goku are fighters that happen to have disgustingly overpowered Races.
This is bullshit. Goku shoots energy blasts because he has techniques that allow him to shoot energy blasts. If being a Fighter doesn't let you shoot energy blasts, you can't play Goku. Hell, you can't even play Ken or Ryu.

-Username17
Especially because Goku has like eight other guys, most of whom are yes, obviously weaker than him, but also, all totally capable of throwing energy bombs/discs/ect.

And some of them are of non human races, but some of them aren't. So clearly fighters in that universe throw energy blasts independent of their race, and their race only sometimes changes the power or type of their blasts.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Leress wrote:EDIT: After reading it again, you can still be Link.
But without the bombchu hover exploit or Din's Fire spell / energy blast.

Fuck that, no goddamned MAGIC WAND from the first game back in NES days.

So, no, according to Mearls, Link is not a fighter.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

I disagree with #1, because it is a shit goal that creates disbalance if achieved. Fighter being best at fighting sort of worked when (a)Fighter was the only warrior class to exist (b)the game focused on exploration far more. It doesn't now.

I also disagree with ##2-3... or rather, they fundamentally disagree with each other and pairing them implies massive intellectual dishonesty that can (and does, as we witnessed many times already) only lead to fail. You cannot fucking swim to the bottom of sea abyss, holding your breath for days, to fight a chtonic monster there, like Beowulf did, using "mundane tactics and weapon skills". Unless you stretch the definition of "mundane" well past the point of being completely meaningless, but no one who attempted to appease grognards with their fighter design, which the goal #2 clearly implies, had guts to do so yet.

I guess #4 is half-assed too, because being able to stab faces with various implements is not true versatility yet.

In short, these goals indicate that Fighters Still Won't Get Nice Things. Best case, they will suck. Worst case, no one will get nice things, like in 4E, and the whole edition will suck.
Last edited by FatR on Fri May 04, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

It gets worse. If they follow through with their admirable goal of removing magic items as a necessity, we get to watch the fighters sit on the ground while everyone else flies around and battles the dragon in the air. Go mundanity.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Remember how much they crowed about the death of the Christmas Tree in 4E?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Why are Christmas Trees bad again?

If you look at something like Amber, Julian is walking around most of the time with a pack of hellhounds, magic horse, magic armor, magic sword, small assortment of wondrous items, etc.

When the guy from Changeling and Madwand (arguably the closest analogue to Dnd) leaves his house, he gears up hard.

If you like Leifeld's art, basically every superhero ever is carrying around a small armory (pouches!)

LotR is a very low magic world, but those characters kitted themselves out at every opportunity.

The few exceptions to this rule are all very low level. Faffhrd and the Grey Mouser didn't bedazzle their swag, but they were bumblers who rarely managed to walk down the street without becoming impoverished, and whose "high level adventures" included staged sword-fights and a lot of man-whoring. I'm not as familiar with Conan, but I get the impression he's pretty similar.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Because it makes your character seem like less of a badass and more of "I need these items to be competent", which is always how it's been implemented. I'm fine with "your items diversify your power" but a blademaster should be able to use a guard's sword and present a credible, level-appropriate threat.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

Dean wrote:The MOMENT he said "Fighters work within the mundane" it was over. Seriously. If Class A's conceptual space is "Regular things!" and Class B's conceptual space is "Anything imaginable whether possible or impossible!" then these two CAN NOT BE EQUAL.
A) I disagree that Fighters being "mundane" is a fundamentally bad thing.
B) We don't know what the Wizard's conceptual space is beyond that they can still cast Fireball. The only articles we've seen have been on the Cleric and the Fighter. Until we see what they've got planned for Wizards, we can't compare them with Fighters.
Man and I can't wait for that article. I bet it makes this place explode.
FrankTrollman wrote:This is bullshit. Goku shoots energy blasts because he has techniques that allow him to shoot energy blasts. If being a Fighter doesn't let you shoot energy blasts, you can't play Goku. Hell, you can't even play Ken or Ryu.
-Username17
Fair enough. Goku is not a fighter, but Superman still stands as an Alien Fighter.
OgreBattle wrote:why do monks have to be a separate class from Fighter
In my world they wouldn't be. As far as D&D is concerned, Monks are now a Psionic class? I can see the need for distinction if Fighters are supposed to be Conan while Monks are Kenshiro.
FatR wrote:Worst case, no one will get nice things, like in 4E, and the whole edition will suck.
This seems very likely. But we'll see.
As always, I'm hopelessly optimistic.

-e-
man formatting
Last edited by Wrathzog on Fri May 04, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSY DUCK?
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
Leress wrote:EDIT: After reading it again, you can still be Link.
But without the bombchu hover exploit or Din's Fire spell / energy blast.

Fuck that, no goddamned MAGIC WAND from the first game back in NES days.

So, no, according to Mearls, Link is not a fighter.
I forgot that he got spells in Zelda 2.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

If your character can do just as well with a stick as an artifact, that's because he is shitty with both. It is way better to be Thor or Ironman or Green Arrow than Schmuckface The Bystander.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Wrathzog wrote: Superman and Goku are fighters that happen to have disgustingly overpowered Races.
And Krillin's secretly from Krypton?