Domain Rules

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Thaluikhain wrote:
maglag wrote:Weren't you saying some posts ago that puny bandits should only matter at low level and then they just turn to background noise that the party doesn't need to worry about anymore?
On a personal level as someone threatening the PCs, yes, but once the PCs are running the country they have to worry about societal issues like that, surely?
The relevant quote:
FrankTrollman wrote: Some of it is simply book keeping - I don't want to talk about deploying my units of silverhelm cavalry to repulse an individual cattle raid. That kind of shit gets exhausting in Dominions and it's totally unacceptable in Paper and Pencil. My intuition is that such things should be tied to development level somehow. That if your economy is large enough, minor disasters like fires and local floods and blights are simply relegated to background noise. If your law level is high enough, minor bandits and unruly drunken ogres and such are simply dealt with.
-Username17
So eventually you would have a guards/police force that can deal with unruly humies automatically.
Thaluikhain wrote: Though, is there much difference between banditry and being an adventurer? If they don't do it to your peasants, but go over the border and rob from people with fangs and tails, same behaviour becomes respectable, in a privateer vs pirate way.
Good point, just tell the unemployed people "go out there and gather shinies from other places if you're that bored."
Last edited by maglag on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Bandits are such a trivial threat to mid-level characters that we don't want to waste table time personally fighting them, but the whole thing with domain management is that you can't be everywhere at once and have to prioritize what you're going to do with your valuable time, while delegating the rest to your lower level mooks. If you've gotten so far down the list of threats that CR 1/2 bandits are the most pressing threat in your kingdom, you presumably have a ton of spare mooks lying around doing nothing that you can throw at the problem while you take the day off to celebrate the kingdom's security with your succubus harem. But you could personally go and stab the bandits to death if you really wanted to.
Last edited by Chamomile on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The military cap is actually a good point. If the threat of instability from the unemployed was only an issue when free Manpower exceeded military strength, that would be an easy comparison. So you could ignore your hungry landless peasants if you just had enough soldiers to rough them up when they got uppity.

-Username17
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Seems like it would solve both problems to just conscript the jobless dissidents. They get three hots and a cot, you get the patrols you need on the king’s highway.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Zaranthan wrote:Seems like it would solve both problems to just conscript the jobless dissidents. They get three hots and a cot, you get the patrols you need on the king’s highway.
Yes, but that costs Gold and Koku. It means that if you don't militarize or develop your province and just take the taxes out and spend them on personal expenses that you will get peasant revolts.

-Username17
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Zaranthan wrote:Seems like it would solve both problems to just conscript the jobless dissidents. They get three hots and a cot, you get the patrols you need on the king’s highway.
Yes, but that costs Gold and Koku. It means that if you don't militarize or develop your province and just take the taxes out and spend them on personal expenses that you will get peasant revolts.

-Username17
Or sacrifice them to fuel your demon/death army or declare the place a feeding spot for your dragon herds.

So far there's been a disturbing lack of actually fantastic options.

Like somebody in the group will soon ask "I want my workforce/army to be golems/warforged".
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

maglag wrote:So far there's been a disturbing lack of actually fantastic options.
That's fair. But I think that the game should be able to model the Shire before asking it model the Scouring of the Shire. That is, before you can answer what happens when you start tying Halflings to Bloodwheels, you have to answer what happens when you don't.

Fantastic options should definitely exist, and it is my contention that these options should not normally be gated behind having 'Wizard' written on your character sheet. But I want the outputs if you don't spend any mana crystals or devotion to make internal sense before getting too excited about what's on the miracle list or what the domain magics do.

More centrally I think is what it means to have Elves or Orcs in your domain. I would expect them to have some minor benefits for their presence, at the cost of needing more Culture to keep things together for every race you have. Some of them seem simple enough to implement like 'Lizardfolk and Bullywugs can maintain 400 small farms in Swamp hexes' and of course you can have special troops available for each race. What I don't want is for it to turn into a fantasy racism simulator where you are encouraged to final solution the Goblins or whatever.

-Username17
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

FrankTrollman wrote:
maglag wrote:So far there's been a disturbing lack of actually fantastic options.
That's fair. But I think that the game should be able to model the Shire before asking it model the Scouring of the Shire. That is, before you can answer what happens when you start tying Halflings to Bloodwheels, you have to answer what happens when you don't.
Thanks, but isn't half the point of the Shire that most of the halflings are just goofing around? Bilbo didn't seem to have any job either before or after going on an adventure, just eat and sleep and smoke weed. Neither has he any visible servants besides eventually getting a gardener.

Merry and Pippin are the closest to bandits in the Sire if not the local crimelords (at the lack of anybody worst), but they may as well be part of the scenery. They're not really driving the Shire into large-scale riots nor seriously disrupting the economy.

If anything, stealing small stuff from each other may as well be common courtesy in the Shire and most halfings are happy that way.
FrankTrollman wrote: Fantastic options should definitely exist, and it is my contention that these options should not normally be gated behind having 'Wizard' written on your character sheet. But I want the outputs if you don't spend any mana crystals or devotion to make internal sense before getting too excited about what's on the miracle list or what the domain magics do.

More centrally I think is what it means to have Elves or Orcs in your domain. I would expect them to have some minor benefits for their presence, at the cost of needing more Culture to keep things together for every race you have. Some of them seem simple enough to implement like 'Lizardfolk and Bullywugs can maintain 400 small farms in Swamp hexes' and of course you can have special troops available for each race. What I don't want is for it to turn into a fantasy racism simulator where you are encouraged to final solution the Goblins or whatever.

-Username17
Would say that final solutioning the elves or another race should produce a massive culture/unrest/popularity penalty, probably with lots of your people defecting to the neighbours with everything they can grab and the gods themselves cursing your land so that the only time it may pay off is if you're already going full genocidical villain.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Re: races causing culture penalties, this is obviously a good mechanic, but we need a better term for it than "race" at some point, because this is D&D, which means we have humans, which means we have implicit if not explicit analogues for every real world human culture, because otherwise we're racist. Presumably the not-Aztecs and the not-Arabs don't automatically get along because they're both human, and also we probably don't want to refer to that by calling them different races. I'd suggest "cultures," but that would require renaming our method of measuring how many poetry slams you have to host to convince people to embrace multiculturalism.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

maglag wrote:Thanks, but isn't half the point of the Shire that most of the halflings are just goofing around? Bilbo didn't seem to have any job either before or after going on an adventure, just eat and sleep and smoke weed. Neither has he any visible servants besides eventually getting a gardener.

Merry and Pippin are the closest to bandits in the Sire if not the local crimelords (at the lack of anybody worst), but they may as well be part of the scenery. They're not really driving the Shire into large-scale riots nor seriously disrupting the economy.

If anything, stealing small stuff from each other may as well be common courtesy in the Shire and most halfings are happy that way.
Well, I think it's more that Tolkien didn't care about the working class in Middle-Earth, or the underlying social problems of the Shire, just an idyllic place for the comfortable rich to hang out before getting adventury, which doesn't translate too well for a place to have adventures in logistics in. Obviously there were farms and farmers and people willing to take sides in the Scouring.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Thaluikhain wrote:
maglag wrote:Thanks, but isn't half the point of the Shire that most of the halflings are just goofing around? Bilbo didn't seem to have any job either before or after going on an adventure, just eat and sleep and smoke weed. Neither has he any visible servants besides eventually getting a gardener.

Well, I think it's more that Tolkien didn't care about the working class in Middle-Earth, or the underlying social problems of the Shire, just an idyllic place for the comfortable rich to hang out before getting adventury, which doesn't translate too well for a place to have adventures in logistics in. Obviously there were farms and farmers and people willing to take sides in the Scouring.
Yes, there's farms and farmers, but outside of the Scouring there's no poor halflings living in slums and begging. The Shire isn't just where the rich hobbit elite lives, it's where most of the hobbit population lives.

What I'm trying to say is that "idyllic comfortable place" should be a management option for fantasy logistics, like taking max Sloth scales is an option for certain dominions strats.

Actually that could be a way of managing different races. Halflings like places where they can laze around and somehow just pay nice taxes and output their commandos on sloth scales, but if you start to industrialize they'll start to be unhappy, revolt or just go away. Orcs meanwhile love industrialization and produce heavy elite troops when you have lots of forges and blacksmiths, but if you let them laze around the'll descend into crappy raiders always raising trouble.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Chamomile wrote:Re: races causing culture penalties, this is obviously a good mechanic, but we need a better term for it than "race" at some point, because this is D&D, which means we have humans, which means we have implicit if not explicit analogues for every real world human culture, because otherwise we're racist. Presumably the not-Aztecs and the not-Arabs don't automatically get along because they're both human, and also we probably don't want to refer to that by calling them different races. I'd suggest "cultures," but that would require renaming our method of measuring how many poetry slams you have to host to convince people to embrace multiculturalism.
This is a good point. I'm tempted by the term 'Nations' because it's easier to explain how the Drow and Elves constitute different Nations than it is to explain how they constitute different Races. And it also means that you can have a 'design a Nation' thing so that you can put in Swamp-Dwelling Not-Vikings or whatever.

As to exactly how much effect it should have that you have various Nations in your lands, I'm persuadable. I view simplicity on this issue to be good in the sense that I definitely don't want to calculate how much of the food is cabbages that Gnolls don't want to eat or whatever. But also, I think having a Halfling land feel different from a Bullywug land is genuinely important. If you're going to have fantasy peoples, they should feel distinct and interesting.

So I want Gnomes and Not-Aztecs to have exactly enough differences that they feel different and not more than that. And I'm not entirely sure where the lines are on that. But I think that each of the Nations needs to be bringing at least a superpower to the economic game and also unlocking special troops.

-Username17
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

With regards to fantasy creatures, I've been playing Endless Legend lately and I thought it handled minor factions in a decently interesting way. You would have your town, which takes up a number of hexes within a region, and that region contains resources and at least one minor faction - this could be anything from the Sisters of Battle to blind xenomorph healer dudes. You could beat them up and then they wouldn't do anything for you unless you rebuilt their town, but you could ALSO do a quest to curry their favor and they would willingly join you. Once joined, you could make their troops and you gain a passive bonus to something - having Drow on your side might make it harder for people to spy on your city, while having Dwarves increases some kind of production.
Basically... they're hats. And you can wear several at once.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Thaluikhain wrote: Well, I think it's more that Tolkien didn't care about the working class in Middle-Earth, or the underlying social problems of the Shire, just an idyllic place for the comfortable rich to hang out before getting adventury, which doesn't translate too well for a place to have adventures in logistics in. Obviously there were farms and farmers and people willing to take sides in the Scouring.
jt
Knight

Post by jt »

Regarding modeling fantastic options:

Many things are just going to be a sizeable bonus to some stat or another. Got warg riders for cavalry? They eat twice as much and they get twice the shock bonus when they charge. Those are the easy ones. Maybe it's helpful to remember that you can't trust your resource exchanges to stay where you put them, and sometimes your players are going to end up with an order of magnitude more cavalry power than you expected because they have tireless golem workers harvesting meat from inexhaustible hydra farms to feed an entire army of warg riders. The system has to be resistant to that sort of bullshit from the PCs.

But stat bonuses, even big ones, aren't as exciting as absolute or non-numeric powers. So I think that, when assessing mechanics, it's important to stop and look at every stat you track and ask yourself: "What happens if I replace this number with 0? Null? Enough? Infinity? Orange?" A system that has more satisfying answers to these questions will have more useful hooks on it for when you go looking for things that wizards can do, or what it means for a hex to be populated by will-o-wisps, or what happens when the fighter finds the Fountain Of Youth and carts it back to the capital city.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

How many different types of creatures/culture would be desirable to have the players in charge of, or would that be a "it depends" question?

In that if you had certain areas being better for certain creatures/cultures, it'd go some way to determining how many they get, and thinking it'd be better to sort out the first part first.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I also think the less racial difference the better but one thing that occurs to me that might be neccessarry to model which is size. The town of Storm Giants definitely has to work differently than the town of goblins, that simply must be true. I actually can't think of an easy simply solution to the fact that Giants might totally be living in your society and they might do it in numbers that are super relevant.

One thing I really liked from my Domain rules were special theme domains. So instead of developing your civilization down various paths of technologies or public works or governments you could become some very particular kind of domain that had a much lower power ceiling but offered unique abilities based on their racial or religious theme. So Elves have Elven Glades where they live totally in harmony with the forests and you sacrifice the ability to build as many mills and fisheries as you feel like but gain the ability to make your entire civilization have Stealth, and have a community where the connection to the land becomes so strong that the forest itself protects you.

Shit like that.

I saw a frequent desire for people who wanted a domain but didn't care if it had 500 people or 10,000 people. The important thing was that it had some powerful theme: their ocean god bringing their city under the waves so their city could be like Atlantis, that Elven wood, a steampunky town. I found that the desire to rule a domain was split between people's who's fantasy was conquest, so they cared a lot about the numeric outputs of the citybuilding game. Their fantasy was to conquer, build, and rule so they care a lot about how much grain production their city had and how many cavalry it can support. Then you have the people who just want their cool thing and they were pretty uninterested in the nitty gritty once the thematics had been achieved.

I get that a few play groups is a small sample size relatively but I saw success in baking in the option for players to make their community some particular thematic fantasy place and other players to really play Logistics and Dragons. It's a nice hack to say that you can put a cap on your civilization to get crazy powers because in D&D canon the nations fighting for power on the world stage are pretty normal but if a player wants to build the Vanishing City that disappears and reappears in the sandstorms of the desert they can just fulfill the requirements, unlock that unique power, and have the weird little theme domain they wanted. The unique unlockables make sure they don't feel like they're being punished for not wanting to play the domain game as deeply cause they got something the Alexander the Great player can't. Even if his kingdom has half a million people they can't do what your weird little city does. If we've learned anything from the Fighter Vs Wizard threads it's that people can feel endlessly satisfied as long as they can do SOMETHING you can't.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

jt wrote: Many things are just going to be a sizeable bonus to some stat or another. Got warg riders for cavalry? They eat twice as much and they get twice the shock bonus when they charge. Those are the easy ones. Maybe it's helpful to remember that you can't trust your resource exchanges to stay where you put them, and sometimes your players are going to end up with an order of magnitude more cavalry power than you expected because they have tireless golem workers harvesting meat from inexhaustible hydra farms to feed an entire army of warg riders. The system has to be resistant to that sort of bullshit from the PCs.
I agree on both counts. Most fantasy stuff is going to be pretty easy to do with some minor bonuses. Zombies are just some assignable manpower you don't have to pay or feed. Even Earth Spirits are probably just Manpower that gives you a cost discount when building certain kinds of things. Some sort of reverse-medusa meat mining probably gives you a lot of food, but ultimately that's going to be equivalent to some quite countable number of hexes of farmers. You can get a thousand small farms into a single plains hex and your meat mine is going to be measurable on that scale. Raising longdead workers from ancient graves is quite comparable with getting immigration from the Dwarven lands. And so on and so on.

Actually transformative fantasy aspects certainly exist, but most of them are translatable into simple bonuses or tradeoffs.
But stat bonuses, even big ones, aren't as exciting as absolute or non-numeric powers. So I think that, when assessing mechanics, it's important to stop and look at every stat you track and ask yourself: "What happens if I replace this number with 0? Null? Enough? Infinity? Orange?" A system that has more satisfying answers to these questions will have more useful hooks on it for when you go looking for things that wizards can do, or what it means for a hex to be populated by will-o-wisps, or what happens when the fighter finds the Fountain Of Youth and carts it back to the capital city.
Agreed.
Dean wrote:One thing I really liked from my Domain rules were special theme domains. So instead of developing your civilization down various paths of technologies or public works or governments you could become some very particular kind of domain that had a much lower power ceiling but offered unique abilities based on their racial or religious theme.
I agree that there's a desire for this sort of thing, but the text to return isn't very good. I would like to shift this as much as possible into the chosen council hats. That is, your sun theocracy has a council where the Chaplain, Inquisitor, and High Priest all do piety actions every festival and you recruit as many archons as you can. And the great library has a council with a Dean, Diviner, and Historian all doing lore accumulation stuff. And those can play differently without playing by different rules.

Because if you make an entire set of rules for what happens if your civilization is made of fire or something, those rules are going to be filler text in most games.
Dean wrote:I also think the less racial difference the better but one thing that occurs to me that might be neccessarry to model which is size. The town of Storm Giants definitely has to work differently than the town of goblins, that simply must be true. I actually can't think of an easy simply solution to the fact that Giants might totally be living in your society and they might do it in numbers that are super relevant.
My thought on Nations is that it should be rules relevant enough that it matters that you have Halflings in your Shire, and not more than that. So whatever the minimum it is that makes you care that you have Orcs and don't have Hobgoblins is your target.

But yes, genuinely giant sized people do need special rules that make their massivity matter. I'm OK with Halflings and Humans taking up the same amount of acreage, but it genuinely has to matter that you are feeding Ogres and not Elves.

-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

So how do you model war? A flight of dragons ravaging your farmland or cities, a zombie plague spreading, etc.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

OgreBattle wrote:So how do you model war? A flight of dragons ravaging your farmland or cities, a zombie plague spreading, etc.
War in an RPG should generate story points. And thus the game mechanics need to resolve those story points but also create incentives to have those story points in the first place.

So here are the things you want:
  • Big battles.
  • Fights between champions or monsters that can be handled on the RPG tactical scale.
  • Tricky stuff involving cutting supply lines.
  • Fighting off pillagers from the village or going out to pillage an evil temple.
So the first thing we have is that War is about damaging the other side's hit points, and those hit points are Culture based. Big battles and killing the national bird of Chaos or whatever are was to do damage directly to the enemy hit points and progress towards a victory. At the end of a war, you can buy concessions with the Cultural hitpoints you have left. Meaning that if you roflstomp an enemy hard with some one sided battles, you get to blitz the place and take over. If you have a grindy scenario where you get raided a bunch along the way and had some grueling indecisive battles, then at the end you don't get to demand much even if you win.

And burning down the Temple of Orcus isn't jus fun and profitable to do, it reduces the Culture of the opposing domain and reduces their hit points.

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So.. the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook. It has a lot of problems, most centrally that it's written for an edition for which owning land and hiring soldiers is not just irrelevant but costs resources that could otherwise be spent improving numbers that interact with the non-flavortext portions of the game. But building your own Barbie Dream House was fun, and the thing where having a fancier throne room gave you bonuses to diplomacy and having a fancier library gave you research bonuses was cool.

This contrasts with the Kingmaker rules where you end up making like five or six mints because that makes money. And also makes me shake with rage. In the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook there's simply an obvious reason that you don't make thirty seven basic throne rooms rather than making a fancy or luxury throne room. And that's good, because I definitely don't want to make he same civic improvement over and over again.

To that extent, having holdings give a bonus based on the biggest of its type seems the way forward. That is, if you want to improve your piety collection you build the next biggest level of Temple rather than another instance of whatever temple you have right now.

One thing I'm toying with is to have your buildings at each level be mildly customizable. That is, your Administration upgrade could be a City Hall or a Court House. Either one would be a level 5 Administration building, but the Hall would increase commerce income more and the court would increase stability more. This would also allow for some places to slot in weird fantasy stuff where your level 5 Administration was a Hall of Flayed Skin that sent your admin bonus to "fuck all" but gave you a bunch of piety to spend on demons.

-Username17
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I think there's room for certain structures to have a hex influence. In Civ, you build a granary and a barracks in every city because every city needs one. Having a single super-granary in your capital probably shouldn't be better than having granaries in every city...

I could see something like a hex that has a granary has a reduced spoilage (effectively an increase in koku produced) and/or a koku reserve value that could allow you to respond to a number of koku-destroying events (like an invading army or crop blight).
-This space intentionally left blank
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

deaddmwalking wrote:I think there's room for certain structures to have a hex influence. In Civ, you build a granary and a barracks in every city because every city needs one. Having a single super-granary in your capital probably shouldn't be better than having granaries in every city...

I could see something like a hex that has a granary has a reduced spoilage (effectively an increase in koku produced) and/or a koku reserve value that could allow you to respond to a number of koku-destroying events (like an invading army or crop blight).
My main issue with this line of reasoning is that every Sahuagin province is 169 hexes by law. And Yorkshire and the Humber is 186 hexes. Many domains are smaller than that (those are big provinces), but you could still very easily have a hundred hexes in your domain or more.

I can imagine having holdings that affect a dozen hexes or something so that I end up having to build it fourteen times to cover my oceanic empire of shark kin. But I absolutely refuse to build a granary in every hex across one hundred and fifty hexes of Gnomish moorlands.

-Username17
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I understand how doing something 150 times is dull and repetitive; you have already addressed that in some degree with scaling.

There's a point where you care about individual buildings. If your 'infrastructure' is high enough, you probably get the benefit of a granary in every hex and you no longer need to actually track it. Because at some point, you don't care about barns (or granaries). Building the first opera house might be something you spend time and resources on; but at some point if your 'culture' and 'population' are both high enough, you just automatically have them in cities without having to build them or calculate the bonus.

To me that implies the building gives a bonus to the score; when the score gets high enough you apply the advantage universally.
-This space intentionally left blank
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

FrankTrollman wrote: And it also means that you can have a 'design a Nation' thing so that you can put in Swamp-Dwelling Not-Vikings or whatever.

-Username17
I feel like design-a-nation needs to be in, although I'm not sold on the term "nation" itself yet. I say this because I definitely think you want room for council hat abilities that let leaders establish tribes/castes/cults/whatevers within their borders that bestow some of the benefits and costs of adding "nations" without having to tack on the flavor of being a pluralistic and racially harmonious society onto every domain that wants to snare phat bonuses. That way the villainous domains have bonuses to acquire and be fractious about even if they're technically all hobgoblins or something.
bears fall, everyone dies