Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I don't think it was in Cyberpunk 2020 either. It was a part of the main core books under the section for revenue income generation of the character.

OK I'm having a problem beause many "game" sites are prohibited from work ... but could that have been a "career term" in "Dark Conspiracy" ... I'm starting to grab straws here.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Maybe it was twillight 2000. it sounds familiar, but I can't place it. And my googlefu appears too weak.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's Cyberpunk. You're not getting a year from me, though, because I'm too lazy to go look.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

So, I seem to have a problem with beer. I don't mind the taste of some brands, but the gas I'm getting from them is beyond excessive. I've been woken up from a sound sleep from the pain from gas pressure. Repeatedly.

Is this due to some weird sort of condition? Could taking beano or something help?
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Are you taking aspirin as well? If so, don't combine aspirin and beer, and I imagine there are a few other common drugs that generate a similar effect.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

I do take Aleve (naproxen sodium), so I guess it may have still been in my system at the time. Could be right. Before that it was Ibuprofen.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Meikle: If it's gas, then a more complete digestive enzyme than Beano might help. Look for one with amylase in it. It breaks down those long chain carbohydrates.

;)

---

Does anyone here have experience with a light/fast jpg200 viewer/converter? I need one.
Last edited by Maj on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Try ifranview. I use it to resize pictures regularly, and occasionally to convert.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Perfect. Thank you muchly.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

What the hell is wrong with American rice flour? I usually buy my rice flour at an Asian market because they have awesome prices on "weird" stuff like that, and I had no idea that it's fabulously great.

The last couple of times I've bought rice flour, to save time and gas I've bought it at the grocery store I was already in, and it's this grainy, gritty crap that makes your food turn into grainy, gritty crap.

Yesterday I was web-surfing recipes and came across mention of the fact that you shouldn't use too much rice flour in your recipes because it's much too grainy and will affect the texture of the food. This suggests to me that the shittiness of rice flour is more widespread than I thought.

What the hell??! Why can't Americans squish grains of rice properly? It's fucking up my brownies (I will never buy American rice flour again).
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I don't have a solution, but I wonder if it has to do with the fact that American bread is shitty too? I wonder if Americans just don't know how to properly cook grain at all...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

not many people buy rice flour as opposed to wheat flour, so check the dates on what you buy. it might be older and improperly stored so it dries out in a regular grocery store, or the product was not rotated, and not ordered often so the newer could have been bought up and the older that has been there a while is what you got.

also in the case of flours and such that are on the bottom shelf, remember the floor waxer gets real close, so those chemicals and the "exhaust" from that can easily seep into the flours and affect the taste, etc.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I don't have a solution, but I wonder if it has to do with the fact that American bread is shitty too? I wonder if Americans just don't know how to properly cook grain at all...
When my mother, step-dad and youngest sister all visited America recently*, they noticed that the bread tastes very weird because of the amount of sugar put in it. Which isn't really something I can picture.

So the reason your bread is shitty is probably that. Over here we make bread the proper way: throwing basing dough in the air, and it instantly bakes in the few seconds it is exposed to Australian heat. If no animals steal it or infest it by the time you catch it, it's yours.

That's the normal way, right?

*Best souvenirs ever. Not a single I<3NY or whatever. Instead? Mad Hatter hat, Slytherin tie (apparently I am a horrible person with no redeeming features) and a tin of Disney Mad Hatter Unbirthday Party Tea. It is very nice tea. Even if Americans don't know what non-iced tea is.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Koumei wrote:Even if Americans don't know what non-iced tea is.
What's non-iced tea? Is that when you leave hot tea in your cup and suddenly realize that you never finished your cup of formerly hot tea an hour later?
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

That doesn't work in Australia. It's so hot that it will actually boil if you leave your cup of tea in the sun.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Koumei wrote:they noticed that the bread tastes very weird because of the amount of sugar put in it
When my family traveled to Europe, we all made the observation that American bread is... lousy (except real sourdough). I'm attributing it to all the stuff on the label that we put in it, and the length of time we allow it to sit on the shelf (After all, we put all the stuff in it so we can leave it laying around).
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Here's a handy solution to bad american bread, people:
1- Make it your damned self (it just takes time and planning)
2- Buy it from a real bakery, that makes it daily (even, god forbid, the place I work, Panera).

The optimal option depends on what bakeries you have around you, and how much attention you're willing to pay to making bread (protip: get a recipe that's laid out by weights, rahter than volume, and use a scale. Baking is chemistry.)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Hell, even just step up to nicer bread. There is a huge difference between wonderbread and e.g. Nature's Own, and if you're willing to shell out for it, the boutiquey ones are that much better again. It's never going to be as good as fresh baked, but nothing gets you nothing.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I miss my breadmaker. You could just throw the ingredients in before work in the morning, and when you got back there was a fresh tasty loaf of good bread just waiting for you...
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

My cousin had to go to America for Work related Reasons for about 2 weeks once . .
He grew up, like me, in a Bakers House-Hold.
First thing he did when he came from the airport in germany?
Went to our Grandma and asked for a good slice of bread . . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Daiba
Journeyman

Post by Daiba »

Since we're on the topic of making bread, does anyone know of a good way to get those tiny bugs out of flour?

All of the commercial bread in Southern China is sweet, fluffy, and full of crap like red bean paste or dried, shredded pork. I'm trying to source a breadmaker (no ovens in the kitchens here), but the only flour that isn't sold in 50 kg bags is so full of tiny brown and black insects that I'm not sure it's worth it. I never knew I could miss a PB&J or a grilled cheese so much. :sad:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I went to a costume contest today and forgot to bring my spirit gum just in case my horn stubs fell off, which, of course, one did. running to the store, I found no spirit gum, so I bought nail glue instead. Worked great, but I've had a headache in the area of application for roughly ten hours. How concerned should I be?

Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

My old DM banned Warlocks in his 3.5 game, despite allowing all manners of abusive rules interpretations. One of the reasons he gave is that a Warlock can summon swarms at will, I countered with that not being overpowered because the Warlock can't control a swarm after he summons it. The DM responds with 'that's stupid', he'd allow a Warlock to control his swarms, this (and other things) making them OP, thus he bans them.

Would this count as a Reverse-Oberoni fallacy? Taking something that is relatively balanced then banning it because you house ruled it into brokeness.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Daiba wrote:Since we're on the topic of making bread, does anyone know of a good way to get those tiny bugs out of flour?
A sifter, but I'm not sure that I'd have the stomach for it.

Probably won't help you, but these days Target's fancy breads from their in-store bakery are actually pretty damn' good. Not that cheap, though.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Daiba
Journeyman

Post by Daiba »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:A sifter, but I'm not sure that I'd have the stomach for it.
I guess I'll try to get a sifter shipped over from the states...it does sound like a pretty distasteful task, but I don't have a lot of other options. Thanks.