Hip Music for you Oh-So-Hip Gaming Den Gamers

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjuyXR5by2s

On Queen's album Night at the Opera (which is one of the albums that I recommend everyone have, it's that damn good and it really shows off the group's musical versatility), there was always a song that I never "got"called '39. After being trapped on TV Tropes for 4 hours, I came across a blurb that explained it: It's a folk song about space travel. Which makes the lyrics make perfect sense.

After some more research, it seems there's a whole genre of music with similar themes called Filk that I didn't even know about until today. I might explore it a bit to see if there's anything I like.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:After some more research, it seems there's a whole genre of music with similar themes called Filk that I didn't even know about until today. I might explore it a bit to see if there's anything I like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut82TDjc ... re=related
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I'm listening to something only a dozen or so steps away from what a normal person might have in their music library.

http://themegas.bandcamp.com/album/get-acoustic

I find that Metal Dance is very fun, and the ones for Quick Man + Air Man almost as much so, but those tend to get really melodramatic around halfway through.

----------

Also kind of interesting contrasting that music with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwuUFOz ... u_in_order

Once I ignore the gratuitous misogynistic segment, pretty amusing, particularly Air and Heat. Distinctly different takes on the characters.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

If you like that, look up The Protomen. They're fucking awesome. Act I is a retelling of Megaman 1 and is rock and 80s-style synth (fairly raw). Act II is a prequel to (and is more polished) it and is a mix of old-school rock and roll and some synth near the end.

tl;dr it's a rock opera about Megaman in a dark version of the 'verse. There are even some radio stations who have played their music.

Act I:
"The Will of One", one of my fave songs from it
"Vengeance", another good one.

Act II:
"The Good Doctor"
"Keep Quiet"
I managed to see them on the trip to Toronto in May. It was amazing, even if the douchenozzles up from were BLOCKING THE ENTIRE FUCKING VIEW. First row is standing, then next row STANDS ON CHAIRS! ARGH!
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

The Doors, Barry Adamson, Fever Ray, The Knife, Pink Floyd, Morrissey solo, Morphine, Portishead, Peter Gabriel, The Sword, Black Sabbath, Joni Mitchell, Voivod, Ted Hawkins, Joy Division, Clutch, Gasoline Monk, Slayer, Burial, Ice T, Bolt Thrower, Steely Dan, Bauhaus, old Genesis, Alice Cooper, Link Wray, Johnny Cash, ZZ Top, Small Faces, Humble Pie, Electric Wizard, Marvin Gaye, Living Colour, AC/DC, Generation X, Arctic Monkeys, Deadbolt, Iggy Pop, James Taylor, Judas Priest, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, M83, Philip Glass, Radiohead, Super Viral Brothers, The Who, Weather Report, Zero 7
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:The Doors, Barry Adamson, Fever Ray, The Knife, Pink Floyd, Morrissey solo, Morphine, Portishead, Peter Gabriel, The Sword, Black Sabbath, Joni Mitchell, Voivod, Ted Hawkins, Joy Division, Clutch, Gasoline Monk, Slayer, Burial, Ice T, Bolt Thrower, Steely Dan, Bauhaus, old Genesis, Alice Cooper, Link Wray, Johnny Cash, ZZ Top, Small Faces, Humble Pie, Electric Wizard, Marvin Gaye, Living Colour, AC/DC, Generation X, Arctic Monkeys, Deadbolt, Iggy Pop, James Taylor, Judas Priest, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, M83, Philip Glass, Radiohead, Super Viral Brothers, The Who, Weather Report, Zero 7
Sometimes having eclectic tastes in music can look like having no taste at all.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Works for me. I ceased worrying how my tastes appeared when I realized I had a deep, unironic appreciation of the music of Foreigner.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I've discovered Kamelot lately...great prog metal band. I greatly enjoy their album The Black Halo.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I've just Fallen in Love with the band Tegan and Sara. Recently I've been diggin' Sarah Blasko, Josh Pyke, and Bonnie "Prince" Billy too.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I have come back to realizing how awesome "The cars" really were.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
houstonderek
NPC

Re: Hip Music for you Oh-So-Hip Gaming Den Gamers

Post by houstonderek »

User3 wrote:
PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1110367048[/unixtime]]Dude, Phil Ochs, wow it never ceases to amaze me that anyone anywhere in this day and age has even heard of him.

He released all of five albums (which makes it easy to have all of his stuff) and to the best of my knowledge never managed to sell out a live performance.
Are we talking about the same guy that basically offed himself because Joan and Bobby were mean to him?
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Dunno the particulars, but Phil Ochs did commit suicide and was around when Baez and Dylan were making folk music a big deal on the charts, so probably.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

I've been listening to Ayreon recently, great stuff. I am also going to reccomend the protomen, absolutely amazing band.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I rather enjoyed Professor Elemental's Fighting Trousers. Victorian Gentleman Hip Hop.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

So I stopped listening to Linkin Park a while back because their music sounded all the same to me, but over Christmas, I heard their latest album on my sister's iPod, and I really like it. It's like they went out and got music lessons. I can still pick it out as Linkin Park, but it's very different.

My favorite track is the fifth, When They Come For Me.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

I've been really impressed with the Symphony of Science songs, basically quotes from popular scientists autotuned and set to music. But several times more awesome than that makes it sound :D
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Red_Rob wrote:I've been really impressed with the Symphony of Science songs, basically quotes from popular scientists autotuned and set to music. But several times more awesome than that makes it sound :D
I'm a fan of the wub dubstep remix.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Been listening to Mumford & Sons on the radio a lot.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Cynic wrote:Been listening to Argy-Bargy nonsense on the radio a lot.
Yeah, I can't stand that crap, sorry. I realize taste is subjective, but... well, no, it's just bad.

http://crappyindiemusic.blogspot.com/20 ... ition.html :wink:
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Have I mentioned that Queens of the Stone Age rocks my world? Lullabies to Paralyze is probably their best album, but pretty much everything they (well, Josh) have done is great. You've got to respect a guy with that good of a falsetto. And such amazing moaning ability. They've even got some good live sets like Eurokeennes and Hove.

Burn the Witch
Go with the Flow
The Blood is Love
Spiders and Vinegaroons (apologies for crappy fan video)
Mosquito Song (apologies for avatar AMV)

Too bad about Them Crooked Vultures, though.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:
Cynic wrote:Been listening to Argy-Bargy nonsense on the radio a lot.
Yeah, I can't stand that crap, sorry. I realize taste is subjective, but... well, no, it's just bad.

http://crappyindiemusic.blogspot.com/20 ... ition.html :wink:
I read the article; it doesn't actual apply to Mumford and Sons at all. They're British and sing folk, rock, and...pop? And approximately one of their songs, a relatively hard countryish piece, is even tangentially related to a disadvantaged group. They don't wear cultural or period costumes.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Meh, I've found that I like some music and I dislike some music. Except for Country (don't know why), my tastes seem to transcend genre boundaries. Hell, I like Justin Timberlake. I know the world might consider that a sin but he can push a decent lyric when combining it to Timbaland's beats.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Cynic wrote:Hell, I like Justin Timberlake.
Cry Me A River is a classic.
Cynic wrote:Except for Country (don't know why), my tastes seem to transcend genre boundaries.
Neocountry (made it up) I'm actually into. Stuff like Taylor Swift. She's a faboo balladeer.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.