Hip Music for you Oh-So-Hip Gaming Den Gamers

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Yeah, Love in a Trash Can is a great song. So is Where is My Mind?.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Shazbot79
Journeyman

Post by Shazbot79 »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:Yeah, Love in a Trash Can is a great song. So is Where is My Mind?.
My favorite Pixies tune is definitely "Debaser".
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

The Bicycle days is a nice Indian rock band that feels as though I'm back in the days of Sabbath and Iron Maiden. Hell, yeah.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I'm listening to George Michael's album Faith for the first time in forever, and I'm remembering how awesome it is.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Been on a Lupe Fiasco, Kid cudi kick recently.

I have also been listening to Massive Attack and this indie band called "Freelance whales."
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I need a doctor is an awesome track featuring Dre, Eminem, and some new chick who has AMAZING vocal control.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

That would be Skylar Grey, and yes, that's an awesome song.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I just started listening to Baris Manco. Awesome stuff. Uses a lot of organ and very Led Zep like.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

Wow, I suck... completely missed this thread, so here we go again :

Explosions in the Sky - The only moment we were alone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKyrULAfvq8 : Awesome post-rock band from my hometown. Incredible musicians and composition ; there's just no other way to describe it.

If you like it, you might also like its sister band, Godspeed! You Black Emperor. Here a sample, 'Hung over as the Queen in Maida Vale' : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjVNpt5aRZg
warning : by 7:23, you might be swept up and/or blown away

for good measure, The Dead Flag Blues : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aLjup934Rk

And finally, in a whole other registry : Cheesecake Ninja, a local street band that is willing to perform in any condition. To wit, La marche rapide de l'empereur (The emperor's quick march) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aLjup934Rk

sound quality is awful so here is the 'studio' version : http://www.cheesecakeninja.com/marcheempereur.mp3
and what I feel is a better song, 'Rage de ké' (ketamine rage... yeah...) : http://www.cheesecakeninja.com/ragedeke.mp3

Hope someone likes it !
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I think this is the correct version for one of your links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYCRdcPYJLA

Sorry I can't help with all the "service unavailable" ones.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

For about a week now I've been listening to a playlist on itunes with:
Amanda Palmer/Dresden Dolls
Avenged Sevenfold (Beast and the Harlot, Bat Country, Little Piece of Heaven)
Scott Pilgrim Sound track
Cake (Stickshifts and Safetybelts, Pentagram)
Some Cobra Starship
California Uber Alles by Dead Kennedys
Decembrists (A Cautionary Song, Red Right Ankle, We Both Go Down Together, Mariner's Revenge)
the only two Disturbed songs which I'm in a mood to listen to again (10,000 Fists, Land of Confusion)
With My Freeze Ray, Man's Gotta Do, No Mercy and Everything from Dr. Horrible
Some Kesha
Some Lady Gaga
Repo! soundtrack
This Island Life by Violent Femmes
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

I saw the Dresden Dolls live some years ago. They were fantastic. Not only was there a cabaret show as the intro but when they were performing I would have sworn there were significantly more instruments than just the piano and drums.

Been listening to a lot of Hüsker Dü lately.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEVi0IxC0yM
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

8in8 is a new supergroup formed by Ben Folds, Amanda Palmer, Neil Gaiman, and Damian Kulas. The album is fun because each song in the album has a different main singer. I suppose this is one of those hipster bands that the other topic kinda touches on.

Also I hate autotune.

Jennifer Lopez is definitely on the list of artists that I would not listen to. But at least her previous albums used most of her voice with autotune added in. Her recent single "on the floor" seems to be 90% autotune + syntheziser and 10% her voice.

edit: changed would listen to "would not listen."
Last edited by Cynic on Sun May 08, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cynic wrote:8in8 is a new supergroup formed by Ben Folds, Amanda Palmer, Neil Gaiman, and Damian Kulas. The album is fun because each song in the album has a different main singer. I suppose this is one of those hipster bands that the other topic kinda touches on.
must go find this now...
Also I hate autotune.
I must admit, there are some uses of autotune I find interesting, mostly those where the singer uses the artificialness of the sound as a part of the feel or tone, rather than it's usual use of covering for someone who cannot fucking sing. Overall, though, yeah, it's fucking annoying. It's kind of become a hallmark of crappy hip hop where the person singing clearly cannot sing, so he doesn't fucking try.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

I've been trying to get into Electric Masada, but think I still prefer Zorn's earlier work. As more traditional music in that vein goes I'm digging lots of Andy Statman's work (who is the only multi-instrumentalist Klezmer/Bluegrass non fusion player I've ever heard of) and whenever Yehudi Menuhin decides to not play with shitty bands that can't keep up. Oy Division isn't bad either.

A few other mainstays: Mingus' sextet and Workshop, Rahsaan Roland Kirk out of appreciation for showmanship, and Zappa from ~69'-74'.
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Just found out about a free online album of RPG related tracks:

http://www.hipsterplease.com/2010/10/20 ... hymes.html

Seems like a mix of the good and the so-so, but its definitely worth a download.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

ubernoob wrote:I need a doctor is an awesome track featuring Dre, Eminem, and some new chick who has AMAZING vocal control.
I'm a little late to this bandwagon. But that is a pretty awesome track.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

ubernoob wrote:I need a doctor is an awesome track featuring Dre, Eminem, and some new chick who has AMAZING vocal control.
I'm a little late to this bandwagon. But that is a pretty awesome track.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

The King of Limbs has honestly not struck me as a particularly interesting example of Radiohead's talent.

But I also just got Hail to the Thief, and it is quite excellent.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

question, as I'm starting to get into the nerdier varieties of hip hop and rap... when artists are beefing, do fans typically take a side?

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I'm willing to bet that there are psycho fans who take sides to extremes - insulting the "enemy," maybe vandalism and screaming somewhere... But I'm also willing to bet that a significant number of fans quietly think that one side's more right than the other.

I'm totally on the side of Nicki Minaj in the Minaj v. Lil Kim beef, for example.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Maj wrote:I'm willing to bet that there are psycho fans who take sides to extremes - insulting the "enemy," maybe vandalism and screaming somewhere... But I'm also willing to bet that a significant number of fans quietly think that one side's more right than the other.

I'm totally on the side of Nicki Minaj in the Minaj v. Lil Kim beef, for example.
*nod* yeah, that's what I guess too. I think Professor Elemental is vastly superior to Mr. B, mostly because Mr. B is a hipster who mostly does covers and takes himself far too seriously, while the Professor is a guy just having fun as a character. Also, Mr. B actually comports himself as a stuffy, uptight english "Chap" (to the delight of the virtually identical* readership of Chap magazine**, apparently), who just has a ukelele, and tries to make serious music with it, while the Professor is more the tea addled mad explorer type who doesn't take himself seriously.

*seriously, these people seem unable to understand that the Professor is a character and criticize him for having stubble and a pipe from a joke shop, and for the guy who plays around in the persona for, *gasp*, being seen in public in JEANS

**yes, seriously.