Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Casters aren't a fix though, they are their own classes. You can't say "don't be a fighter, be a class with completely different mechanics," but you can say "don't be a rogue, be a ninja which plays the exact same way but is better."

How stupid are you, Shadow?

Ishy, the ninja is free and on the SRD. While there will be people who insist on using the rogue (and there are, and it is very unfortunate) the rogue being ignored would ultimately be what's best for the game. The differences between the rogue and ninja are so incredibly small that you could replace every instance of ninja with "rogue" on the ninja page, delete the old "rogue" page and people wouldn't notice the old rogue was gone. They fill the exact same conceptual space, the ninja is just better.

I'm pretty sure I explicitly mention that Paizo was stupid for calling the ninja the ninja instead of just replacing the rogue with it. Ninja means nobody who wants to be a rogue will play it unless they can get over refluffing. As a matter of fact, I submit that because the ninja was released Paizo will never even try to fix the rogue.

Why the PF rogue sucks has been rehashed over and over again (in the old thread where Frank lists out what's wrong with the whole system). PF rogue can't get sneak attack from grease, blink got worse, twf is still hard, rogues don't have enough hp and lack real defenses (ninjas get mirror image as a swift action), a lot of shit is outright immune to SA, they have to invest in two weapons, and stealth isn't that useful in game.

Ninja solves a few of those problems by generating their own SA, getting even more attacks to make up for sucking, getting real defenses and having neat out of combat utility.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:Casters aren't a fix though, they are their own classes. You can't say "don't be a fighter, be a class with completely different mechanics," but you can say "don't be a rogue, be a ninja which plays the exact same way but is better."
Option A is invalidated by nerfs, take Option B instead.

In one case B is flat out better than A, and in one B is flat out better than A and also similar. But either way, you are mentally scratching off non viable options and regarding the playspace in terms of only what is viable.

Apparently being similar does not matter to them either, if it did then you would not say the things that you are saying.
PoliteNewb wrote:D&D is a fucking game. Sometimes you lose games. D&D is better than most, in that losing is a.) not necessarily going to happen and b.) not permanent. But the possibility of loss is there. It should be there. In the opinion of many (myself included), it's part of what makes the game fun.

If your attitude is "I spent my valuable time to come here, so I better be able to play every minute, regardless of what I do or what my dice rolls are"...fuck that, and fuck you.
Maxus wrote:Shadzar is comedy gold, and makes us optimistic for the future of RPGs. Because, see, going into the future takes us further away from AD&D Second Edition and people like Shadzar.
FatR wrote:If you cannot accept than in any game a noob inherently has less worth than an experienced player, go to your special olympics.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:Ninja solves a few of those problems by generating their own SA, getting even more attacks to make up for sucking, getting real defenses and having neat out of combat utility.
Also, in the event that rogues have some sort of overlooked great ability or get some awesome ability in the future, ninjas have abilities which are just "Take a rogue ability as if you were a rogue."

So rogues are entirely pointless except for Trapfinding. Which, given how badly traps are nerfed in Pathfinder, makes them superfluous.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Shadow Balls wrote:
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:Casters aren't a fix though, they are their own classes. You can't say "don't be a fighter, be a class with completely different mechanics," but you can say "don't be a rogue, be a ninja which plays the exact same way but is better."

In one case B is flat out better than A, and in one B is flat out better than A and also similar. But either way, you are mentally scratching off non viable options and regarding the playspace in terms of only what is viable.

Apparently being similar does not matter to them either, if it did then you would not say the things that you are saying.
You are so dumb.

I want to play a guy that just stabs things hard, not a caster. Telling me to play a caster and not a guy that just stabs things hard makes you an asshole.

I want to play a stealthy damage-dealer. Telling me not to play one stealthy damage-dealer and to play a better stealthy damage-dealer is totally OK, because I'm doing what I want.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

You are playing Pathfinder. Guy who stabs things hard isn't on the table, unless the things in question are himself.
PoliteNewb wrote:D&D is a fucking game. Sometimes you lose games. D&D is better than most, in that losing is a.) not necessarily going to happen and b.) not permanent. But the possibility of loss is there. It should be there. In the opinion of many (myself included), it's part of what makes the game fun.

If your attitude is "I spent my valuable time to come here, so I better be able to play every minute, regardless of what I do or what my dice rolls are"...fuck that, and fuck you.
Maxus wrote:Shadzar is comedy gold, and makes us optimistic for the future of RPGs. Because, see, going into the future takes us further away from AD&D Second Edition and people like Shadzar.
FatR wrote:If you cannot accept than in any game a noob inherently has less worth than an experienced player, go to your special olympics.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

...You Lost Me wrote:You are so dumb.

I want to play a guy that just stabs things hard, not a caster. Telling me to play a caster and not a guy that just stabs things hard makes you an asshole.

I want to play a stealthy damage-dealer. Telling me not to play one stealthy damage-dealer and to play a better stealthy damage-dealer is totally OK, because I'm doing what I want.
"Guy who just stabs things harder" is not an acceptable character beyond low levels.

"Guy who stabs things smarter" is an acceptable character.
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

...You Lost Me wrote: I want to play a guy that just stabs things hard, not a caster. Telling me to play a caster and not a guy that just stabs things hard makes you an asshole.

Welcome to 3E/Pathfinder, the edition where the regardless of archetype you want to play, people will tell you to play a caster.
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

Swordslinger wrote:
...You Lost Me wrote: I want to play a guy that just stabs things hard, not a caster. Telling me to play a caster and not a guy that just stabs things hard makes you an asshole.

Welcome to 3E/Pathfinder, the edition where the regardless of archetype you want to play, people will tell you to play a caster.
That's not too far off, but there are ways of somewhat salvaging characters without spells in 3.5.

...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

To all of you above, my comment was just a refute to shadzar's post about how casters were the implied hotfix for fighters, because they are not. Not at low levels, and not at high levels. Not in a box. Not with a fox. When, as a player, I want my fighter archetype, I will ignore people who tell me to be a caster. However, as a player, when I want my rogue archetype, I will follow through with the ninja because it has the same damn flavor.

So please, don't go on tangents. If you want, we can all pretend it's based only on player desire in relation to the class and only at low levels and whatever you want so you don't try to nitpick the arguments of a guy who couldn't give two fucks about you.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

...You Lost Me wrote:To all of you above, my comment was just a refute to shadzar's post about how casters were the implied hotfix for fighters, because they are not. Not at low levels, and not at high levels. Not in a box. Not with a fox. When, as a player, I want my fighter archetype, I will ignore people who tell me to be a caster. However, as a player, when I want my rogue archetype, I will follow through with the ninja because it has the same damn flavor.
I am also game-illiterate, so please take it easy...
Die in a fire.

A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Shadow Balls wrote:Die in a fire.
I'm curious, Shadow Balls. Do you accept that there is any reason to play D&D (or any other RPG, for that matter) other than to exact the most perfectly efficient victories possible?

I'm curious if this is some sort of rhetorical front, or how you actually play.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I wish I hadn't copypasta'd the Asspie National Anthem to Shadzar, because it'd be funnier to post it to Shadow Balls. Man, I dropped the ball on this one.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I wish I hadn't copypasta'd the Asspie National Anthem to Shadzar, because it'd be funnier to post it to Shadow Balls. Man, I dropped the ball on this one.
I wish you'd knock that shit off, because it's not funny any way you slice it.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

A Man In Black wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I wish I hadn't copypasta'd the Asspie National Anthem to Shadzar, because it'd be funnier to post it to Shadow Balls. Man, I dropped the ball on this one.
I wish you'd knock that shit off, because it's not funny any way you slice it.
I wish you'd make me some nachos. Looks like we're both going to be disappointed tonight.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

I have a couple of those symptoms.... Oh no. Could I be a secret asspie?

But to say something that's actually on topic, if pathfinder sucks so badly, does anyone here know if there have been any attempts to try and make homebrew to patch things up? Like the tomes did with 3.5.
Last edited by darkmaster on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

darkmaster wrote:But to say something that's actually on topic, if pathfinder sucks so badly, does anyone here know if there have been any attempts to try and make homebrew to patch things up? Like the tomes did with 3.5.
Yeah, but you'd probably be better off checking out the Paizo forums, and bear in mind they have a fairly different set of goals and priorities. Searching for "Kirthfinder" might get you started, though. No promises.
K
King

Post by K »

PR thinks everyone who can form a coherent argument or has an education also has Aspergers. It's kind of sad that his self-esteem is so poor.

It's damn ironic considering his own social difficulties.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

A while back someone asked me what the definition of irony was and off the top of my head I was a little flummoxed.

PR posting copypasta about aspergers is a pretty good definition of irony I think.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Juton wrote:A while back someone asked me what the definition of irony was and off the top of my head I was a little flummoxed.

PR posting copypasta about aspergers is a pretty good definition of irony I think.
The definition of Irony is that there is not a single ironic thing in the Allanis Morissette song "Ironic". Every single thing in that song is merely unfortunate, and that fact actually is ironic.

-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The main reason not to play a ninja is because it doesn't say "Rogue" on the character sheet. For many people that is an incredibly important part of character identity. And perhaps they hate anime too.
Shadow Balls
Master

Post by Shadow Balls »

A Man In Black wrote:
Shadow Balls wrote:Die in a fire.
I'm curious, Shadow Balls. Do you accept that there is any reason to play D&D (or any other RPG, for that matter) other than to exact the most perfectly efficient victories possible?

I'm curious if this is some sort of rhetorical front, or how you actually play.
This is Pathfinder. And that means you have about 3 or so options. And all of those options are amazingly good. And then there's some hundred odd things that suck a barrel of cocks.

So my predilections towards powergaming are immaterial, as your options are to play a caster, or to die repeatedly until you play a caster. As most people, regardless of their stances regarding character death would rather not be the party joke, that means that either people will start off playing casters, they will learn the hard way they should be playing a caster, or they will play a game with a better, less centralized meta. The third option is the best one, but assuming that they stick with it saying that everyone is a caster is a fair summary.
K wrote:PR thinks everyone who can form a coherent argument or has an education also has Aspergers. It's kind of sad that his self-esteem is so poor.

It's damn ironic considering his own social difficulties.
Juton wrote:A while back someone asked me what the definition of irony was and off the top of my head I was a little flummoxed.

This. He can't even find the shift key, and at least half of those describe himself (possibly more, but I don't really know him). Now he was obviously directing that at me, except that I haven't actually done the things he claims I have done. It's all in his head.

TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

darkmaster wrote: But to say something that's actually on topic, if pathfinder sucks so badly, does anyone here know if there have been any attempts to try and make homebrew to patch things up? Like the tomes did with 3.5.
You can find Kirthfinder and accompanying discussions here.

There are plenty of homebrew 'fixes' posted to the forum just as there were in 3.5, but this is the closest to a Tomes-style collection.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Psychic Robot wrote: ant haul for the fighter? pretty overpowered, guess this must be "kick around the cleric" edition, next thing you know you'll be letting rogues get multiple sneak attacks per round.
ROGUE IS COWARD!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

In keeping with "Paizo just rifle through other people's trash", I realised what Pathfinder reminds me of:

Anybody remember Sztany (spelling likely wrong) from the old WotC boards? He had an avatar of a demonic monkey (not the gorilla demon, just a monkey that looks highly demonic) and had this massive "redoing all the classes, more balanced and with options" project.

The PF Sorcerer is basically his Sorcerer. Its non-spellcasting bit was basically "Maybe you're descended from ___, or are a new race of innately spellcasting creature, or went out and infused yourself with magic". The Wizard had more relevance from specialist school (and could choose thematic groups/descriptors instead). And so on.

There is a huge similarity I'm seeing, especially with how basically every class gets this big level 1 "Choose some defining thing about the class, this shapes it over the next 20 levels so we don't have to make 15 near-identical classes" thing.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Koumei wrote:In keeping with "Paizo just rifle through other people's trash", I realised what Pathfinder reminds me of:

Anybody remember Sztany (spelling likely wrong) from the old WotC boards? He had an avatar of a demonic monkey (not the gorilla demon, just a monkey that looks highly demonic) and had this massive "redoing all the classes, more balanced and with options" project.

The PF Sorcerer is basically his Sorcerer. Its non-spellcasting bit was basically "Maybe you're descended from ___, or are a new race of innately spellcasting creature, or went out and infused yourself with magic". The Wizard had more relevance from specialist school (and could choose thematic groups/descriptors instead). And so on.

There is a huge similarity I'm seeing, especially with how basically every class gets this big level 1 "Choose some defining thing about the class, this shapes it over the next 20 levels so we don't have to make 15 near-identical classes" thing.
It was Szatany (Polish for 'Satan'), I believe, and yes, I also got that vibe. The difference lies in the fact that Szatany's work was actually a hell of a lot more interesting, and dare I say, had far fewer trap options than anything I've seen made by the Paizils.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.