[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

It's basically what Maj said. I don't work on the search engine but I'd be surprised if we didn't have a way of ignoring these spam links, though.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

We Fallout now. May as well be using Holotapes.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Meikle641 wrote:We Fallout now. May as well be using Holotapes.
Not that specific thing, but we have to deal with that sort of stuff a lot. If you are suing a company and in discovery you want emails from years ago, you are glad as fuck that they shunt everything off to tapes after 90 days instead of deleting it.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

It's one of the reasons some companies are returning to a "delete after X time" policy rather than tape backup. Unfortunate, because there's a real cost to the employees there.
Last edited by Surgo on Wed May 07, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, all the server backups at work are on cassette, and that one isn't a case of us being too poor to have any DVD drives.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Although they might finally be changing it soonish, the IRS has long stored its data on linear tape. Apparently if you make sure to store everything in exactly the order you want to access it tape is actually stupidly fast.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

I think the advance in tape tech is really damn cool. I think it's awesome when engineers and scientists find ways to improve old tech in unexpected ways.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from- ... Roads.html

Of course it won't fucking happen, at least not for, oh... even a century seems optimistic. I mean, this is America we're talking about. As much as I hate to sound like a conservative, the government doesn't actually do fuck all, but private companies occasionally use advances like this if they can make a buck out of it.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Talking about roads and how governments don't do anything is always good for really high marks on the irony scale.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sun May 11, 2014 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well... ok, yes, they maintain them, and on a broad scale, somewhat constantly, but I was talking about large changes like "replacing the entire country's roads with solar panels."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Prak_Anima wrote:Well... ok, yes, they maintain them, and on a broad scale, somewhat constantly, but I was talking about large changes like "replacing the entire country's roads with solar panels."
They did replace the entire country's roads with freeways. The Eisenhower Interstate system didn't just happen spontaneously or anything.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Huh, I didn't know anything about that. I'm still not expecting super tech wifi solar power roads anytime soon, but I'll shut up now.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak_Anima wrote:Huh, I didn't know anything about that. I'm still not expecting super tech wifi solar power roads anytime soon, but I'll shut up now.
Where did you think all the fucking roads came from? Did you think roads just naturally existed?

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Is it unreasonable to say that when our current infrastructure is degrading that we don't expect it to be replaced with what seems like cool future tech?

I think that was where prak was coming from.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

#Kaelik, just that the interstates were all built at once in a gigantic national project. On the scale of the Apollo program, or the nuclear program. People are allowed to learn things at some point after having previously not yet learnt them, it's an XKCD.

And I'm not convinced that running trucks over your power generation scheme is a great idea for maintenance costs, but it's probably worth a pilot scheme somewhere suitable with light traffic and good use for midday power and the maximum insolation.

Come on spellchecker, insolation is too a proper word. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insolation

As to what governments will do, technically that depends who's paying them. There's no particular reason the big oil folk couldn't monopolise all the green energy patents and get government to pay to install them everywhere all at once on sweet long-term contracts.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

tussock wrote:#Kaelik, just that the interstates were all built at once in a gigantic national project. On the scale of the Apollo program, or the nuclear program. People are allowed to learn things at some point after having previously not yet learnt them, it's an XKCD.
So he thought the roads were built all at once by a non government entity, like Apollo or Nukes. Yeah. Totally that. Great example. Idiot.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I was under the impression that the roads were built over time as needed, I didn't think about the interstate system. However, I also said "doesn't do anything," as in present tense. I honestly do find it hard to believe that it would undertake a project of this scale now, as opposed to in the 50s.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

That's true, but it's in large part a consequence of "PRIVATE ENTERPRISE, RAH RAH" thinking, which is why I made the "Irony top score!" comment.
bears fall, everyone dies
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Which is self perpetuating because there actually are a handful of private companies that say "Well fuck, the government's not doing it, so it's up to us!" Which hilariously tend to be run by liberals, I think, if their science and conservation focus is anything to go by.

K
King

Post by K »

Last edited by K on Sun May 18, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Something that isn't mentioned in the link is that having negative ratings allows casual visitors to tell the difference between something disliked and something that has merely not been rated much at all, and to tell the difference between something that's basically very popular, and something that's hotly divisive.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

As far as I can tell, they are misreporting their findings. Up votes do have an effect, because a lack of upvotes causes people to either leave the community (no votes), or to descend into flame spirals (down votes). Since there is a negative effect of both non-upvote possibilities, claiming that there is no effect of upvotes is specious. Upvotes obviously increase poster retention without decreasing conversation quality.

The obvious takeaway from their data is that online communities should have an upvote button and an "ignore user" button and no down vote button at all. They claim to have produced a result that is the opposite of operant conditioning, but they haven't. They showed that positive reinforcement caused a continuation of the reinforced behavior, while negative reinforcement caused people to change their behavior. Now, they found that in online discussions, when people changed their behavior in response to negative feedback, it was to become more negative, but that seems to be entirely in line with what you'd expect from basic Prisoner's Dilemma thought experiments.

Bottom line: the actual data is simply consistent with a majority (or at least, a statistically influential plurality) of people on those sites being basically reciprocal altruists. Which is about the least surprising thing they could have found.

-Username17
erik
King

Post by erik »

I think this study's results should have just been titled "Ignore the trolls."

Some forums incorporate the down voting into their ignore, like Slashdot where you can filter out posts with poor ratings.

My experience with forums that have +/- reputation boosting is that people with +rep tend to receive more +rep in the hopes that they will reciprocate with their big karma hammer (+/- reputation given was weighted by how much you had) and they get less -reps out of fear of retribution. Cliques that just rotate through giving each other +rep was a thing. The people who started to get -rep did often troll and just try to see how much red they could get but they couldn't spread around the - rep.
Last edited by erik on Sun May 18, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

somebody on dumpshock actually asked for a +/- system to be implemented on the board . . such an moronic idea . .
The whole concept is stupid in my eyes.
You go somewhere like forums/boards to communicate with people.
What communication is there in clicking one single button?
Why did i receive a -? no idea, no information in there, ne ground for discussion, not even enough for a good flame war!
Hey, he got a +! why? for what? when? from whom? and is that such a good thing? if he got it for making a sexist or racist or whatever remark from another bigot for example, then why should that count as a + if it's clearly not positive at all?
The whole thing just boggles my already failing mind . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.