Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Was there a splatbook for 3.Yourmum that has rules for weapons with shitty materials like flint and bone? I'm sure I recall something of the sort, but I can't remember for the life of me and if anyone else knows the answer off-hand, that can save having to dig old books out of a box in the shed.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Arms and Equipment Guide, from 3.0
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I think the closest was the Dark Sun setting material by Dave Noonan in Dragon 319. Bone and stone were both -2 to attack and damage rolls.

edit: ninja'd. Same rules, as it turns out.
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

It's on page 144 of the 3.5 DMG.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Roog
Master

Post by Roog »

Koumei wrote:Was there a splatbook for 3.Yourmum that has rules for weapons with shitty materials like flint and bone?
PF has rules for this under special materials ( www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/special-materials).

Primative materials are often fragile, but " Masterwork and magical fragile weapons and armor lack these flaws unless otherwise noted in the item description or the special material description."
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Why is it that death spirals work in dice pool games like Shadowrun and After Sundown, but critical existence failure is preferred in D&D?

Is it mainly a genre thing, where Shadowrun characters are expected to drop if shot in the chest but D&D heroes will chug along after being impaled on a lance?
erik
King

Post by erik »

Tis a genre thing, yes.
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

Well, it's also a mechanics thing- how would you implement a death spiral in a d20+bonuses resolution system? If you have flat penalties they become an absolute joke at high level even if they are insurmountably bad at first level. If you try to make people take percentages off their bonuses they will give you a confused look and then ignore that rule. There's not really much you can do to make a death spiral in D&D.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

spongeknight wrote:Well, it's also a mechanics thing- how would you implement a death spiral in a d20+bonuses resolution system? If you have flat penalties they become an absolute joke at high level even if they are insurmountably bad at first level. If you try to make people take percentages off their bonuses they will give you a confused look and then ignore that rule. There's not really much you can do to make a death spiral in D&D.
What?

A -2 penalty is just as bad on 1d20+0 vs DC 10 as on 1d20 + 100 vs DC 110
erik
King

Post by erik »

Spongeknight, there's lots you can do to create a death spiral in D&D. Adding wounds with stacking status conditions would start you on that path handily.

But the question was why do X mechanics work for X games and Y mechanics for Y games, and the answer is because the mechanics support the genre expectations. i.e. yes, it is a genre thing for why those mechanics work.
Last edited by erik on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Why is it that death spirals work in dice pool games like Shadowrun and After Sundown, but critical existence failure is preferred in D&D?
1: really? Death spirals that work?

2: hit points definitely work. That shit is heroic.

Snark aside, it's all just legacy. D&D started from Chainmail man-to-man where you either died or you didn't, every round, inflationary ablative hit points added to give a sense of dramatic pacing to fights without losing the dramatic end.

Shadowrun started from idiots in the 80's not understanding dice probabilities, but they did have a sense that rolling great fistfuls of dice can be fun if you don't have to add them all up. Their lack of (unrealistic to 80's designers hating on D&D) inflationary ablative hit points alongside the tiny variance in the RNG means they need a death spiral to both delay death from round one and yet still allow death to happen at some point.

After Sundown is supposed to be how you make dicepool games that are less of a bag of assholes than the rest (former designer makes similar-but-better game). They still need some sort of shift in odds over time, because they don't conventionally have big hit point defence and don't want random deaths on round one.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

I am sure it has come up before, but what about abilities that detect alignment? Should any old putz subjected to one turn up Evil or Good? Or even Neutral?

The example I have seen given for this moral conundrum is a Paladin is in city and dealing with a merchant. The merchant is a drunk, cheats on his taxes, sells counterfeit food and clothing and every now again, he beats his wife.
What, if anything, should this person detect as? Sure, he is a dishonest scumbag, but is that enough for The Big E?
Last edited by Insomniac on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Depends on what you mean by "counterfeit." If they're just knock-offs, then he's just lying, which isn't Evil. If he's selling toxic or spoiled food, or smallpox blankets, then yeah, he's deliberately hurting other people for his own gain, which is Evil.

Being an abusive spouse probably makes the above question moot.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Per the PHB, humans don't gravitate toward any specific alignment. Since the NPC doesn't have actions that the players see, the GM determines alignment and then chooses actions to suit.

In this case, it's easiest to write 'evil' and avoid arguing how bad you can be and still be technically neutral.

Alignment is dumb for lots of reasons, but arguing the alignments of real people is even dumber.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I figure detect alignment can be replaced with "detect killing intent" so it's more a mechanic for avoiding ambushes than being the jury/executioner to some guy you bumped into in the city. Or a "detect outsiders" so you can sense if there's a succubus in the room. Detecting magic and what kind of magic someone wields then alerts you to the divine/arcane sources of power folks draw from and if they're definitely being powered by Orcus you're more inclined to stab them.

So a Paladin can detect if there's demonic influences on the room, a Rogue can detect if someone is lying, and a Soldier can detect there's an ambush down the road. Everyone is detecting 'evil' in their own unique ways.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sort of a game question- what is the probability of a set of dice (d4, d6, d10, d%, d12, d20) rules together coming up max? Anydice doesn't express probabilities below .01%.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

1 in 5760000. You arrive at this figure by taking probabilities of getting maximum value on each individual die roll (ie. 1 in 4, 1 in 6, 1 in 10...) and multiplying them all together.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ah, thanks.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

There's been some games were even/odd number results activate certain abilities. The reason for doing so is to have a 50% chance of activating some effect, So on a d20 it looks something like "roll to hit, and if your hit roll was even then you also knock them prone". I forgot where I heard about this though, does anyone remember what game has used this mechanic recently? I think it's one of the post 4e kickstarter games.

Do you think this mechanic would work for a D&D3.X kind of game?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Actually, not a bad idea. It's a good way to consolidate a percentile roll into an attack and make people roll fewer things.

Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

13th Age has mechanics like that, I remember.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

What's the general opinion on 13th age? It seems like it was at least slightly more interesting than straight 4e.

tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

It's "like 4e, but ..." and that's where everyone tunes out.

That thing where you get a special result when you roll a 5 on your attack (while adding 12 vs DC 23 or whatever), or roll a 5, 9, or 13, or roll some other set of numbers that change when you level up or do different stuff, it's not actually any faster than just rolling another die, not really any better than just rolling 18+ or 1-3, and all that parallel processing makes people tired and grumpy.

There's a lot of stuff like that in their otherwise brief game. It's like they thought the bandwidth limit on tabletop randomisers was the number of dice you rolled, rather than the volume of math required by the observer.

The only thing I saw people like about it was those sort of mechanical dice-compression tricks, which aren't actually any good for anything. It is at least relatively small, so you won't lose too much life by checking their SRD.

http://www.13thagesrd.com/
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Blicero wrote:13th Age has mechanics like that, I remember.
You remember what they did with them though? I believe the main complaint that it was minor stuff like a 4e "push 1 square" atwill power
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

OgreBattle wrote:There's been some games were even/odd number results activate certain abilities. The reason for doing so is to have a 50% chance of activating some effect, So on a d20 it looks something like "roll to hit, and if your hit roll was even then you also knock them prone". I forgot where I heard about this though, does anyone remember what game has used this mechanic recently? I think it's one of the post 4e kickstarter games.

Do you think this mechanic would work for a D&D3.X kind of game?
Prak wrote:Actually, not a bad idea. It's a good way to consolidate a percentile roll into an attack and make people roll fewer things.
The math doesn't exactly match if you consolidate rolls with percentages. e.g. let's say you need to roll 12 or higher to hit something normally and it has full concealment.

Odds of hitting normally (roll >=12, 50 %): 9/20*.5=.225 or 22.5 % or 9/20*.501 = .22545 or 22.545 % if you actually use percentile die apparently*

Odds of hitting if you beat concealment on evens (roll 12, 14, 16, 18, 20): 5/20=.25 or 25 %
Odds of hitting if you beat concealment on odds (roll 13, 15, 17, 19): 4/20=.2 or 20 %

The difference might be small enough to ignore though.

*Roll (5, 6, 7, 8 or 9) on 10s digit = 5/10 = .5
Roll (0) on 10s and 1s digit = 1/10*1/10= .01
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.